Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Sometimes I like to look at 9k games to laugh at how bad they are :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So OGS just released a huge new interface and while it is indeed more responsive, it's also broken as gently caress and ugly as a dogshit. I may just have to go back to KGS.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I somehow manage to get worse with every game I play lately. I study books, I watch games, I play games, I go back and look at my games, yet somehow, the level of player I am able to beat gets lower and lower every day. Ugh. I don't know what happened, I used to be able to do this :\

When I started playing again I was almost beating 9k players on this server. Now I resign within 50 moves against 14k players. I have some kind of fast-progressing brain damage or something

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 18, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

I somehow manage to get worse with every game I play lately. I study books, I watch games, I play games, I go back and look at my games, yet somehow, the level of player I am able to beat gets lower and lower every day. Ugh. I don't know what happened, I used to be able to do this :\

When I started playing again I was almost beating 9k players on this server. Now I resign within 50 moves against 14k players. I have some kind of fast-progressing brain damage or something

Don't feel bad, friend. I think a lot of people go through this. I suspect it's knowing enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be useful on command. Also, there's so much to know and be good at that you'll find a guy who is good only in the one area that you're bad and he'll steamroll you.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overwined posted:

Don't feel bad, friend. I think a lot of people go through this. I suspect it's knowing enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be useful on command. Also, there's so much to know and be good at that you'll find a guy who is good only in the one area that you're bad and he'll steamroll you.

I creamed an 11k player right after posting this, of course....

I tend to be a little weak in the early game but dangerous w/r/t cutting off and killing groups of stones in the middle and end game. Basically, I'm good at catching people with dick moves

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Looks like Alphago/Ke Jie is back on (if it was indeed ever off): http://en.yibada.com/articles/192104/20170207/worlds-top-one-go-player-ke-jie-to-play-with-googles-alphago-by-april.htm

Can't wait to stay up late and drunk so I can yell "HOW THE gently caress DO YOU HANE THERE?!?" as if I had idea of how you would hane anywhere.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Uggghhhhhh. OGS is still super-lovely after the "update". I want to quit it, but I only really have time for correspondence games. I assume there's really no other client that handles correspondence games?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Use kgs and constantly escape against each other

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I've got a lot of my go mojo back now that I've played about 150 games on pandanet. Right now to win I constantly tell myself while playing:

-play dual-purpose moves
-move three away from a two-stone thickness
-focus on table shapes, 3-stone 'fish hook' shapes, and L shapes
-connect!!!!!!!!!!

I've also been reading casually through some basic joseki books, practicing corner joseki on an empty board by myself, and watching a lot of games, trying to guess what each player will do move-by-move. Been winning against 12k, 12k+, and 11k players, but I haven't been brave enough to go much further. Also been reading through the life and death and tesuji books.

This game is fuckin awesome

I don't think there is anything in the world more frustrating than leading all game by 30 points, making one single mistake, literally one mistake, and suddenly being down 40 points.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 5, 2017

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I recently started reading Tesuji, and I'm on the first problem of the second chapter and I am already baffled. I created a version of the problem on OGS here: https://online-go.com/puzzle/6842. The book says that the knight's move at N7 is correct (make sure to turn off random transformation / colors), and goes on to explain that the knight's move at O8 is incorrect. I'm in agreement on both those points, but my question is: why doesn't the simple move at O7 also work? It seems simpler and stronger, and the book just got done talking about those sorts of moves, so there must be some reason why it doesn't work in this case, right? But every variation I've tried against it seems to fail, so it seems correct to me.

What am I missing?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
after black o7, white o6, black n6, white n5, black n4, white n7, black m5 or m6, white p7 escapes

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CaptainEO posted:

after black o7, white o6, black n6, white n5, black n4, white n7, black m5 or m6, white p7 escapes

Okay yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

Atomic Man
Feb 4, 2017

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Hey! I just went through the tutorial series that was linked in the first post, and was amazingly helpful.

I got the KGS client (Which I see above someone has said is super lovely. People moving to a different service?)
I ask this because in the social room list there is no ITGO room.

EDIT: I talked to someone on the Discord link that was on the front post (Thank you, by the way), and it looks like that room is no longer active, as is the Discord community. Shame!

Atomic Man fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 9, 2017

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ITGO has been in a coma for a while now

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Played an 8D+ player last night with 9 handicaps and only lost by 2.5 points. I am very proud of this loss.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Played an 8D+ player last night with 9 handicaps and only lost by 2.5 points. I am very proud of this loss.

Hell yeah. Nice job!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why do people go on servers and purposefully get their rank low just so they can challenge people that are much, much lower ranked than them without handicaps? Like...why would you do that. It has happened to me 3 times today. It's incredibly obvious when people do this, and it's really frustrating because I hate having my rating tanked like that. Oh well, I guess people will be dicks about literally any game, even go.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

why do people go on servers and purposefully get their rank low just so they can challenge people that are much, much lower ranked than them without handicaps? Like...why would you do that. It has happened to me 3 times today. It's incredibly obvious when people do this, and it's really frustrating because I hate having my rating tanked like that. Oh well, I guess people will be dicks about literally any game, even go.

How do you know it's on purpose? Maybe they just play drunk a lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's called sandbagging, and people do it with everything everywhere all the time.

Though yeah they could just play drunk half the time.

Also stop caring about your rating. :v:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah, I had a 1d challenge me (11k) to a ladder match on OGS and I left him nice comments about his valiance in the Malkovich Logs.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know, I know, I shouldn't care about my rating. It's hard, I'm a product of ladder-system competitive video games and the culture around them.

I'm 12k+ on Pandanet now, which is where I seem to be stabilizing. I have a 76-76 win/loss record, finally got it back to breaking even tonight! I love this game, even if I get frustrated by it...um...sometimes(a lot(every drat time I play it))).

Overwined posted:

Yeah, I had a 1d challenge me (11k) to a ladder match on OGS and I left him nice comments about his valiance in the Malkovich Logs.

we seem to be pretty close in ranking, though I don't know how Pandanet and OGS compare. We should play some games!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'm down. Here's my OGS profile: https://online-go.com/user/view/272876

Warning: I only play correspondence right now as I can't seem to put together enough consecutive free hours to play live games.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Overwined posted:

I'm down. Here's my OGS profile: https://online-go.com/user/view/272876

Warning: I only play correspondence right now as I can't seem to put together enough consecutive free hours to play live games.

This is always what kills my path to sdk. I can get to 14-10k, and then life gets in the way, I play correspondence for a bit and then I just quit for a year. I get interested again because of friends or this thread and the pattern will repeat.

:sigh:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the same issues with sticking with go. I'm kinda determined to keep doing it forever now, though, because my mind just feels healthier when I've been playing go. It's like competitive meditation.

I just got on OGS a couple days ago, and it's got me at 11k right now. I'll send a challenge for a correspondence game, I like those just as much as any other.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What am I missing here? This is the Android tsumego pro app. It always either wants you to kill, make life outright, or make life in seki.

Here it seems to want you to make an ineffective two step ko.

https://imgur.com/EI410xC

Solution per app:

A4, A3, A1, B1, victory?

I don't see how white doesn't just live outright by putting the three stones in atari since black can't do anything useful with his next move.

Pander fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 20, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It must be a product of mediocre play, but I quite often win because my opponent sort of locks everything down and forces endgame even though they're behind. I did recently lose a game in endgame, but this is a rarity. That game was very instructional for me, though. I was ahead by about 10-12 when we got to endgame. It wasn't really a forced entry into it either. I played really well in the mid-game and made some very aggressive invasions stick. But then the guy systematically ground me down in endgame and won by 3.5 points. He was great at keeping sente and grabbing a point here and a point there until my lead vanished. I was not disappointed at all. I complimented his play and studied the game.

EDIT: This is the game if anyone cares to see it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

areyoucontagious posted:

What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

Look at OGS

Wish I had time to play go, or mental energy.

Sigh, disgusted that I've wasted another day with things that aren't go.

Repeat.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Overwined posted:

It must be a product of mediocre play, but I quite often win because my opponent sort of locks everything down and forces endgame even though they're behind. I did recently lose a game in endgame, but this is a rarity. That game was very instructional for me, though. I was ahead by about 10-12 when we got to endgame. It wasn't really a forced entry into it either. I played really well in the mid-game and made some very aggressive invasions stick. But then the guy systematically ground me down in endgame and won by 3.5 points. He was great at keeping sente and grabbing a point here and a point there until my lead vanished. I was not disappointed at all. I complimented his play and studied the game.

EDIT: This is the game if anyone cares to see it.

I wonder if an invasion in the lower right corner would have worked. It seems a little tight, but maybe doable to me.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I wonder if an invasion in the lower right corner would have worked. It seems a little tight, but maybe doable to me.

Hmmm, yes. Starting with something like R3? Mad I didn't think of it. Not like I had anything to lose.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Overwined posted:

Hmmm, yes. Starting with something like R3? Mad I didn't think of it. Not like I had anything to lose.

Yeah that was the point I was thinking of. A more experienced goon probably would know better than me here though.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Reminder that the world go championship between 3 humans and the 3rd best ai? is going on. You can find it streamed here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iohS6jbLOoA

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

areyoucontagious posted:

I play 5-10 games a day right now and I read my Life and Death, Tesuji, or Joseki books while on the elliptical at the gym for an hour each day. 'Lose 100 games as fast as you can' is the best advice I can give you for getting back into it and sticking with it - get over your fear and anxiety about losing and your interest in the game for its own sake will flourish.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I play 5-10 games a day right now and I read my Life and Death, Tesuji, or Joseki books while on the elliptical at the gym for an hour each day. 'Lose 100 games as fast as you can' is the best advice I can give you for getting back into it and sticking with it - get over your fear and anxiety about losing and your interest in the game for its own sake will flourish.

Surprisingly it's less about losing for me! I suck at most things in life so I didn't expect go to be different. My problem is time. I need to set time aside to play.

Also fuckin lol at 5-10 games. Do you play full 19x19 games? Are they blitz?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Usually I'll play a game after having not for several months, and about 100 moves in start to think "poo poo I have so much else I need to do, gently caress, why did I start this, augh think think" and then start making random or dumb moves until the other guy does a 30-stone kill because I connected but only made false eyes and I resign. ymmv

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Zesty Mordant posted:

Usually I'll play a game after having not for several months, and about 100 moves in start to think "poo poo I have so much else I need to do, gently caress, why did I start this, augh think think" and then start making random or dumb moves until the other guy does a 30-stone kill because I connected but only made false eyes and I resign. ymmv

mmdnv (my mileage does not vary)

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Zesty Mordant posted:

Omg this is me

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

areyoucontagious posted:

Surprisingly it's less about losing for me! I suck at most things in life so I didn't expect go to be different. My problem is time. I need to set time aside to play.

Also fuckin lol at 5-10 games. Do you play full 19x19 games? Are they blitz?

I play a couple games with my dad each night on pandanet, and we usually have an hour main time for those, so they go long sometimes. Otherwise, I play games with 1 minute main time/10 minutes per 25 stones time and they usually don't take all that long, maybe 30 minutes tops. I play several blitz games a day too, usually. Now that I type this out I realize that I have been playing an absolute poo poo load of Go lately and I am OK with that. e: I haven't ever really played 9x9 or 13x13, 19x19 is life. I'm curious about 17x17 though.

Zesty Mordant posted:

Same, except without the 'having not for several months' part. I do this at least once a day.

In the last couple years I've drifted away from doing all the things I did as a younger man to obsessive excess, like playing league of legends, playing music, even smoking weed and doing drugs. I've just stopped doing much but sitting around waiting for the next obligation and trying to get myself to play a lot of go, like, sit there and waste my god drat time doing it, is my effort to revive the part of myself that gave a poo poo about things and did them just because I like doing them. Might sound weird, but whatever. I hate that Ive forgotten how to just sit around and relax and play a drat game for a few hours when I have time. And playing Go is a much healthier thing to sit around doing with my free time than league of legends. Hell, even drugs is healthier than league of legends

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 22, 2017

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I agree, it's part of the reason I'm attracted to it, it requires a specific knowledge but also a meditative concentration. I cannot say however if one is supposed to get their life together and then play go, or if getting your go game together will inform your life towards serenity, it's probably not the second one though looking at half this lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Last night I played a game where I killed literally every stone my opponent placed, but he just kept putting down stones, refusing to end the game. Eventually he stopped making moves and his time ran out, but the game never ended for some reason, so I just went to bed. I checked this morning and it had me as resigning, even though I was the last person to make a move. Why the gently caress would someone cheat at go? Like....really. Why.