Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

Real talk: Why does this game make you purchase False Swipe

Because False Swipe is a move that casual players find moderately useful for catching Pokemon, and 'hardcore' players find absolutely necessary for shiny hunts/IV hunts/making sure you get a perfect nature/whatever.

Basically, it's because if you play Pokemon casually, False Swipe is just a pretty nice move to have, but if you're the kind of super competitive player this game is supposedly aimed at False Swipe is hugely important and valuable so better stick a price tag on that poo poo. That's my guess, anyway. I like False Swipe but I don't need it, whereas my shiny hunting friend really needs it or she'd end up pulling her hair out from accidental crits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
I honestly don't think the OST is bad. That includes the Nuclear Pokemon battle theme.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've never used false swipe. I catch my pokemon the hard way. Unless I have Quick balls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hammurabi posted:

I honestly don't think the OST is bad. That includes the Nuclear Pokemon battle theme.
I mean, going through it, some of the songs are decent. The fore-mentioned Nuclear battle, and the Gym Leader theme has its moments. For a free fangame made by volunteers, a lot of the songs have enough cohesion to hold some kind of consistent instrumental theme, at least. They're not award-winning, but there are some songs that make decent evidence for the OST being the best/only good part of Uranium.

And then you've got some songs that, uh... aren't.

Edit I mean, bad music alone wouldn't be enough to make a great game bad (see Shining Force 2), but when there's already so much working against it, it's hard to be forgiving.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 16, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

SPOILER POLICY: Don't spoil one goddamn thing, even behind tags. With my big and beautiful backhoe I will dig up everything.

We haven't fought the champion so posting the champion music is a bit out of line imo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We haven't fought the champion so posting the champion music is a bit out of line imo.
Whoops, sorry. Removed.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'd like a pokemon game with music inspired by Queen. I'd prefer composed by Queen, but that'd be kind of difficult.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PureRok posted:

I'd like a pokemon game with music inspired by Queen. I'd prefer composed by Queen, but that'd be kind of difficult.

pokemon / highlander crossover?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

"My stand, Too Much Love, emits a powerful radioactive wave that corrupts and enrages all those infected by it, giving me complete control over the wild life and letting them shoot nuclear lasers because shut up it's cool of course that's how radiation works."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Arcade Rabbit posted:

and letting them shoot nuclear lasers because shut up it's cool

well it is...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

pokemon / highlander crossover?

The hardcore nuzlocke fans would never shut up about imposing it on the main game to be consistent, though.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I mean, going through it, some of the songs are decent. The fore-mentioned Nuclear battle, and the Gym Leader theme has its moments. For a free fangame made by volunteers, a lot of the songs have enough cohesion to hold some kind of consistent instrumental theme, at least. They're not award-winning, but there are some songs that make decent evidence for the OST being the best/only good part of Uranium.

And then you've got some songs that, uh... aren't.

Edit I mean, bad music alone wouldn't be enough to make a great game bad (see Shining Force 2), but when there's already so much working against it, it's hard to be forgiving.

To be fair, I didn't even really find the trainer theme bad on it's own (the random LET'S RUN THROUGH THE SCALES!!! bit aside), but it's definitely not music you'd hear in a pokemon game. It sounds more like boss battle music in a standard JRPG than something you'd hear in a pokemon game, which has a very distinct sound.

...Then again, that feels pretty appropriate - this game seems to just barely get what makes pokemon great and so beloved, but fall short in massive ways.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What I noticed about most of the original or arranged tracks in the game is that there's almost always some section of the song where the bass gets a little heavier, the notes deeper, and everything sounds a little more ominous, as if to say "check out this more mature take on this series, even the music sounds more mature."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PMush Perfect posted:

Not only is the Shining Force 2 soundtrack great, but this is easily one of the best tracks in the entire game

Also I had forgotten that Steel resists Nuclear and Poison is not effective against it. Why on earth would they take the best defense type and worst offensive type and reinforce that even further?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

Not only is the Shining Force 2 soundtrack great, but this is easily one of the best tracks in the entire game

I'm glad I wasn't the only one looking to defend the early Shining series honor. The soundtrack has its duds but seriously, listen to the symphonic version some time, the soundtrack works a whole hell of a lot better when it's not restricted to the Genesis PCM chip.

On-topic,

Nevileen posted:

...Then again, that feels pretty appropriate - this game seems to just barely get what makes pokemon great and so beloved, but fall short in massive ways.

Isn't the whole point of "what makes Pokémon great" the fact that it appeals to a huge swath of the population, casual and hardcore alike, new and old? In general narrowing your demographic (like you would with a fangame) is going to make some or all of it fall flat for everybody but who you're catering to.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I thought I saw a reference to a Hero type in the last update?

I will be honest, I think "nuclear" would be a cool pokemon type, but it's Pokemon Uranium, so it's done poorly.

Also I'm not sure what happened...Dick went to the power plant, fought a murderbot, and passed out after learning nothing?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I will be honest, I think "nuclear" would be a cool pokemon type, but it's Pokemon Uranium, so it's done poorly.

Also I'm not sure what happened...Dick went to the power plant, fought a murderbot, and passed out after learning nothing?

He also activated a ~mysterious~ machine.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I think that was a Sonic Adventure joke since the options were "hero" and "dark".

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Basically. He did find a few clues that things weren't on the up and up, but since he's mute everyone else is as much in the dark as before.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shining Force 1 had great music, and is a great game. Shining Force 2 is an even better game, with music that sounds like they let someone play with a synthesizer and stitched together the parts that sound kind of like music.

Edit I'm willing to concede that I haven't heard the orchestral version, and they may be absolutely fantastic, but they're not what's coming out of the console in front of me.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 17, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I enjoyed SF2's music, I suppose, but yeah, SF1's music is something I still hum occasionally to this day.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

He also activated a ~mysterious~ machine.

Well, from the words "Stasis Tank", and knowing how 'edgy' this game tries to be, the pod contains what's left of your mom while your dad fucks with radiation to try and bring her back. Or a legendary Pokemon, that works too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PBJ posted:

Well, from the words "Stasis Tank", and knowing how 'edgy' this game tries to be, the pod contains what's left of your mom while your dad fucks with radiation to try and bring her back. Or a legendary Pokemon, that works too.

not nearly edgelord enough. The legendary pokemon's gotta be your mom, probably after torture.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

not nearly edgelord enough. The legendary pokemon's gotta be your mom, probably after torture.
And even though she's become a victim of everything she fought to destroy, you must work together using her power to defeat Driscoll in the name of Karen and the Canyon Crows!

...wait.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PMush Perfect posted:

And even though she's become a victim of everything she fought to destroy, you must work together using her power to defeat Driscoll in the name of Karen and the Canyon Crows!

...wait.

Great, now I want Squeenix and Nintendo to make a FrontMission Pokemon game where all the Wanzers are based on Pokemon, retaining the mix-and-match aspects of building your robots.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

neongrey posted:

I enjoyed SF2's music, I suppose, but yeah, SF1's music is something I still hum occasionally to this day.

Unfortunately I somehow wound up entwining the early battle music from SF I with Rob Schneider's schtick from SNL.
So every time I hear it my brain goes "He's a big man..making copies".

I played through Uranium a few months ago, and while I was more forgiving about it than most even I saw that the implementation of the Nuclear type was molten garbage.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

inthesto posted:

Also I had forgotten that Steel resists Nuclear and Poison is not effective against it. Why on earth would they take the best defense type and worst offensive type and reinforce that even further?

Because you use metal (steel and lead) shielding to contain radiation and, uh, radiation already makes you sick so poison isn't going to change much of anything?

Okay the poison thing is probably a stretch but Steel does make sense...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

SilverGryphon posted:

Because you use metal (steel and lead) shielding to contain radiation and, uh, radiation already makes you sick so poison isn't going to change much of anything?

Okay the poison thing is probably a stretch but Steel does make sense...

yeah my main complaint is less that Steel does resist it and more that ground, rock, and possibly water don't, since all of those are just as good for containment.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
why would u think they would spend time actually coming up with realistic strengths/weakness when they could say its strong against everything and weak against everything and spend no energy thinking

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in pop culture steel is always used for nuclear containment over water or other materials so eh, i'd give it a pass

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Steel is strong because Metal Gear is the ultimate nuclear weapon.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The other possibility is that it's a lazy joke. "Ha ha, poison sux, steel rules! "

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Waffleman_ posted:

Steel is strong because Metal Gear is the ultimate nuclear weapon.

Klinklang isn't in this game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Added Space posted:

The other possibility is that it's a lazy joke. "Ha ha, poison sux, steel rules! "

Not necessarily a joke. Some people just get really into a game's meta to the point where they get stuck on the way things are as the way things are "supposed" to be and want to reinforce them even more. To this thinking steel is "supposed" to be massively awesome defensively and poison is "supposed" to completely suck offensively, so why would you try to balance them out at all when that's clearly not how the game works?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is water actually used to contain radiation? I was under the impression that its use in plants is to regulate temperature and create steam. Like, one of the problems surrounding the Fukushima plant is that its irradiating the surrounding ground and sea water.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

turn off the TV posted:

Is water actually used to contain radiation? I was under the impression that its use in plants is to regulate temperature and create steam. Like, one of the problems surrounding the Fukushima plant is that its irradiating the surrounding ground and sea water.

water''s good for absorbing radiation but you wouldn''t want to drink it afterwards

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, one of the UK's first nuclear power plants stored a lot of its waste in huge water pools. It's dense, easy to apply, and very cheap.

That depends on the water staying in the pool, of course.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Yes, it absorbs radiation. Spent fuel rods are kept in a pool of water to cool them off and absorb any remaining radiation, for example.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

contain might be strong but it does a good job absorbing rads yeah, you are correct tho water is only used to regulate temperature in plants (which is why the steam is allowed into the outside enviroment!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they'd wanted to make a thematic set of weaknesses/strengths for the nuclear type they could have, but they were focused on the 'weak to everything and strong to everything' gimmick so much that the inclusion of the steel/poison crap just makes it even more of a mess

• Locked thread