Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Q_res posted:

Someone in my town actually has one of these damned things. I see it at the grocery store every so often. They're so delightfully weird.

A guy I know had it's successor, the Lincoln Mark LT. Which wasn't much of a success either.

It seems like Ford finally figured out the recipe with the Platinums and Limiteds, which is that people want the capability of a real bed even if they never end up using it, and then they just want all the luxury added onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's a few of those Lincoln trucks driving around here. They never look trashed, either. All the ones I've seen have been in really nice condition.
So they must be either 'old people cars' or they got some weird fanbase I am not aware of. They don't seem to be very useful as trucks. Never seen one carry anything.

vv yea I meant the Navigator-esque truck. vv

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 15, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, Blackwood and Mark LT aren't really the same thing. Mark LT is plenty useful, it's literally just an F-150 with Lincoln badges. No different than a Platinum or Limited. The Blackwood is a Navigator with a trunk, definitely not really remotely useful for "truck stuff".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen a Lincoln truck towing a large boat around here a few times.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Luxrage posted:

It's crazy how they are so similar, yet so different just being two years apart and one being the absolute below-base and the other the top of the line.

Your wagons clearly need more love. and because this needs to happen:

I wanna supersize the truckster to a centurion.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

clam ache posted:

Holy crap that thing is mint. You have a fine taste in cars. be careful if you let passengers use the lighter to charge a usb port. They are designed to take twelve volts and make things hot. Not supply the 12v to something. THis will blow many fuses and in some cases can cause wire fires.

I'm not planning on plugging anything larger than a phone charger or something into it. The '87 did survive having a power inverter plugged into it for a little bit to power a camera, and these post-88s are supposed to have a higher amp electrical system, so it should be fine. I'm well aware of those things burning wires, though, the 87 had an issue with the headlights whenever the brights were on: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536076&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post470326350

scrubs season six posted:

She's a beaut, Clark. I love seeing that 5.0 intake manifold in non Mustangs (even if it's facing the wrong way).

e: those seats in the back are awesome, I missed them on my first pass through the pics. I think they're even cooler than the super cool rear facing seat that old wagons had. So it's a 9 seater?

It is listed as an 8-seater, mainly because the back seats are supposed to have one person each sitting sort of offset and facing each other. It's weird the rear seats have that shape to them, but it works out when you've got two small people in them. I tried getting back there with another person and it is not the most comfortable! Interestingly enough, all of these that I've seen have had roll-back carpets covering the seat-back-doors, but one I test drove in Dallas was actually properly carpeted back there. I wonder if that was done by its owner.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That is loving awesome. God drat. Are you planning on keeping the red one? I say sell it to fund a 351 swap, but hey that's just me. :getin:

I'm holding onto the red one for the time being while I figure out any issues with this Country Squire. It seems solid as a rock, but until I can confirm that it's nice to have a backup car. My friend in town has a 351 in his '85 Crown Vic sedan, and I'm hoping he'll let me take it out for a drive so I can see how gutsy that it is off the line!

KakerMix posted:

Hells to the yeah that car owns hard, nice and I'm uber-jealous. Don't suppose you mind sharing the price you paid? When they show up down here they vary wildly in price.
From the story I was told, and what I've seen. It was originally listed on the lot for $8995, and all the listing pictures had that window sticker on it. When I found it, it was down to $6000. It sat on the lot since October, and I ended up giving them an offer for $5500 that they took. Comparing that to the red fleet-spec '87 that I picked up for a little under $3K that's a steal!

Abe Frohman posted:

I know they're both Fords, but it's incredible to me how similar this is to my 88 Mercury.

Even the interior is super similar, it never ceases to amaze me how they can build the same car with slight tweaks and sell it under multiple names.

Your wood grain survived a hell of a lot better than mine considering the proximity. Maybe the sun and sand storms are worse in New Mexico.

From the story I got from the Ford dealer I found it at, it was a garage kept car up in Virginia, and they ended up getting it sold to the dealer in Pennsylvania when the original owner moved. The dealer president drove it with dealer plates for a few months and then put it up for sale, so as far as I can tell, it has been garage kept its entire life. I'm currently drowning the wood (and everything else) in 303 aerospace protectant to hold off any bleaching, but only time will tell on that! I'd love to see some photos of yours on the inside for comparison; my family's been Ford-centric since my grandfather worked for their Romeo engine plant, and it's amazing how a Mercury badge here or there can turn a lowly Explorer into a posh Mountaineer.

cursedshitbox posted:

Your wagons clearly need more love. and because this needs to happen:

I wanna supersize the truckster to a centurion.

This was linked in the panther thread, I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of challenge: http://griswoldfamilyvacations.com/maiking-the-griswold-family-truckster/ !!!

So, one thing that I've got to tackle, and this baffles me on a high end car like this, is there are absolutely no cup holders! Ford didn't even offer an OEM accessory one from what I can find in my searches. The transmission hump is so big that those drop in plastic ones don't seem to fit well. I may have to spring for something like this: https://www.cupholdersplus.com/shorty-hot-rod-floor-console.html

At least I can get it color matched :heysexy:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why do you need cupholders? it's gotta have like 8 ash trays.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Most cars didn't have cupholders until the 90's. I definitely remember those little transmission-tunnel ones in everyone's 80's american car, or they had the single-cup ones that had a little tab that slipped between the side window glass and the inner weather seal.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Luxrage posted:

I'd love to see some photos of yours on the inside for comparison; my family's been Ford-centric since my grandfather worked for their Romeo engine plant, and it's amazing how a Mercury badge here or there can turn a lowly Explorer into a posh Mountaineer.

I'll go out and get some pics later, but honestly, other than the instrument panel it looks identical to your pictures.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

Why do you need cupholders? it's gotta have like 8 ash trays.

Those pics reminded me of the 91 Olds Toronado Trofeo I had that despite being a two door had ash trays for the back seats and each had its own cigarette lighter. Classy!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

F-150 got delivered today and I think I love it. I also think the delivery guy might have expected a tip but he didn't get one and maybe I should feel bad but oh well.

I'll take some good pics when my gf gets home with my good camera.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I appreciate you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

Those pics reminded me of the 91 Olds Toronado Trofeo I had that despite being a two door had ash trays for the back seats and each had its own cigarette lighter. Classy!

my 2 door lincoln does too. the back seat middle passenger has to share with one of the other 2 back seat passengers though.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What's "M" stand for on the shift indicator?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Sport shift.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Breakfast Feud posted:

Manual, for push button imagination driving. One of the best unexpected features of my '17 silverado over the '14 was the fact that i don't keep accidentally slamming it into that position.

Scrubs--- congrats. that's fancy and cool and good.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Most cars didn't have cupholders until the 90's. I definitely remember those little transmission-tunnel ones in everyone's 80's american car, or they had the single-cup ones that had a little tab that slipped between the side window glass and the inner weather seal.

Oh my god I totally forgot about these. What a nightmare.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

the back seat middle passenger has to share with one of the other 2 back seat passengers though.

Sad.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Picked this up on Wed. Its a Kia Niro.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Gave up on our search for a Samurai or importing a Jimny because we found this

Dirty though it is boy is it in good shape. There is some rust but it isn't on the body or the suspension or the exhaust, no, it's on this rear trim piece

but that's easy enough to fix

Rust repair is hard :v:

1991 Geo Tracker in a vibrant yellow with rad decals on the sides complete with 'TRACKER' w/ speed lines. It's a 2wd version which suits us just fine as my wife is going to be putting around town in it as she's wanted one of these since she was 16. Didn't come with a roof but $160 bucks on Amazon sorts that out. She has 4 brand new tires because ones from 2004 on the highway quickly turned into tread seperation so we made a pit-stop to Goodyear. The A/C system needs to be recharged and the fuel system needs to be looked at (starting with the filter based on it's behavior of being fine when the pedal is pressed down but stuttering under not-pedal-pressing sometimes). This Tracker was a snowbird's second car in Naples, Florida. This is why it's in such great shape and only has 36k on it but it's lack of roof is why the weird interior rust on exposed trim pieces. Also why the wheels look like garbage.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
That's so 90s it hurts (and I love it)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KakerMix posted:

You're on a roll with the finds lately.

I'd bet my last can of Spam that that thing will still be running when the last jeep has given up the ghost. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Mind if I ask what that cost? I really have no idea what the market is for super low mileage things like that that probably aren't desirable, in odd colors. It could be anywhere from $2k-6k maybe?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

Mind if I ask what that cost? I really have no idea what the market is for super low mileage things like that that probably aren't desirable, in odd colors. It could be anywhere from $2k-6k maybe?

We paid 4500 for it, she was asking 5000. If you look for Trackers you can expect (from what I've seen) and average price of around 3-5k for ones with 200k or less miles on them. Also the paint was very desirable for us, especially with those graphics.

My ~feeling~ is that cars like the SC300 I picked up and this Tracker are on their way to classics in the way that people react to them. The Lexus sure because it's a Supra and it has the guts for it, but the Tracker is the cockroach that won't die and screams 90s with it's paint. Yeah sure on AI everyone loves everything in some capacity but some cars are different. This yellow and these stripes would also be hella rad on a 1990s Toyota truck or Jeep but would be a different thing all together if it was on an Aerostar or a Civic. Still cool but would illicit different reactions out of people.
Look at Luxrage's rad as gently caress wagons, those were lame not a decade ago and welp here we are and us drooling over them has started pushing them in a direction where they will be honest-to-god desirable classics later. Lampoon's Vacation wagon was meant to mock how lame the cars were but wood paneling is cool now, desirable even. Minivans even have started to be appreciated and it's cool as heck. I guess what I am trying to get at is stuff that's very far from typically desirable is tomorrow's classics because that's what history says. A plain white tracker in this shape would still be nice, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I remember when gas first hit like $4/gallon the Geo Metros were getting crazy high prices on the used market. Was the Tracker good enough on mileage to get bumped from that and then they just sort of stayed high, or did they sink when gas prices fell, then boost up again just due to collectability?

Also, drop some kind of 2.0T in it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

a 220hp 2.7L V6 exists for those Vitaras out of a 3rd gen, and that first gen was avaliable with a 138ish HP 2.0L V6...

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

kastein posted:

Trucks are meant to be used. This made the loader op at the gravel yard very nervous, but I made a few more runs with no problems. Just had to drive the ~3 miles home very cautiously.

Half a yard of damp roadbase. I'm sorry your full framed mini trucks can't handle a real load like a unibody truck can :v:

:madmax::respek::madmax:

I also found out last week that my beater 541,000mi XJ does not appreciate being loaded to the bumpstops with topsoil and cypress mulch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

loving *dwarfs* a 379.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Upgraded from my 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS to this:

2016 Dodge Charger R/T. I'll try and avoid wrapping myself around a tree. I'm starting to understand the War Boys' cult of V8 now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

IronDoge posted:

2016 Dodge Charger R/T. I'll try and avoid wrapping myself around a tree. I'm starting to understand the War Boys' cult of V8 now.

By our deeds we honor him.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

IronDoge posted:

I'm starting to understand the War Boys' cult of V8 now.

You can only be awaited if you have opened yourself to the truth that is the V8.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
ONE OF US ONE OF US

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

IronDoge posted:

Did you buy from Carvana? I'm curious, what was the experience like?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

willroc7 posted:

Isn't that the one with the car vending machine gimmick?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

KakerMix posted:

We paid 4500 for it, she was asking 5000. If you look for Trackers you can expect (from what I've seen) and average price of around 3-5k for ones with 200k or less miles on them. Also the paint was very desirable for us, especially with those graphics.

My ~feeling~ is that cars like the SC300 I picked up and this Tracker are on their way to classics in the way that people react to them. The Lexus sure because it's a Supra and it has the guts for it, but the Tracker is the cockroach that won't die and screams 90s with it's paint. Yeah sure on AI everyone loves everything in some capacity but some cars are different. This yellow and these stripes would also be hella rad on a 1990s Toyota truck or Jeep but would be a different thing all together if it was on an Aerostar or a Civic. Still cool but would illicit different reactions out of people.
Look at Luxrage's rad as gently caress wagons, those were lame not a decade ago and welp here we are and us drooling over them has started pushing them in a direction where they will be honest-to-god desirable classics later. Lampoon's Vacation wagon was meant to mock how lame the cars were but wood paneling is cool now, desirable even. Minivans even have started to be appreciated and it's cool as heck. I guess what I am trying to get at is stuff that's very far from typically desirable is tomorrow's classics because that's what history says. A plain white tracker in this shape would still be nice, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool.

I hope you live by the coast because that is one rad beach blaster you got yourself there, enjoy! :radcat:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Powdercoated black Cragar Soft 8s would look the tits on this. Also do you guys get those magic eraser cleaning things in the US? Those work wonders on shiny steering wheels...

IronDoge posted:

loving rad colour choice my dude.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

IronDoge posted:

Powdercoated black Cragar Soft 8s would look the tits on this.

KakerMix posted:

loving rad colour choice my dude.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

willroc7 posted:

Extremely convenient. I picked the car I wanted online after shopping around and test driving at local dealers to get a feel for the cars. Carvana's prices came in pretty good, although I could have gotten a little more for my trade-in. I live in Pennsylvania, and the closest pick-up city for me was Washington DC (they deliver free within a 50 mile radius of their vendor cities).

So on pick-up day I drove down two hours to meet the Carvana guy in a big empty parking lot. Carvana rep looked over my trade-in and gave it a short test drive while I looked over my purchase. Did some paperwork and was on my way in like 20 minutes.

My take from this experience, if you don't want a premium trimline, and are close enough to a vendor city, buy from Carvana. Not having to be pressured by a dealer was pretty great.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

IronDoge posted:

Extremely convenient. I picked the car I wanted online after shopping around and test driving at local dealers to get a feel for the cars. Carvana's prices came in pretty good, although I could have gotten a little more for my trade-in. I live in Pennsylvania, and the closest pick-up city for me was Washington DC (they deliver free within a 50 mile radius of their vendor cities).

So on pick-up day I drove down two hours to meet the Carvana guy in a big empty parking lot. Carvana rep looked over my trade-in and gave it a short test drive while I looked over my purchase. Did some paperwork and was on my way in like 20 minutes.

My take from this experience, if you don't want a premium trimline, and are close enough to a vendor city, buy from Carvana. Not having to be pressured by a dealer was pretty great.

Yeah to add to this I just flatly sold my car to Carvana and it was about 20 minutes and painless for me as well. I didn't buy from them, just sold. Since I'm in their area they came to my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Only think I don't really like about the R/T is the front styling.

Nice that the Daytona fixed that.