Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

That's just Ferengi marketing at work. In reality, the greatest lovers in all the galaxy are easily--as you are clearly already aware--the Pakled.

Morn's not a Pakled though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Morn's not a Pakled though?

Maybe he's a subspecies or something, like Boss Nass vs. the rest of the Gungans.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
No way is Morn related to the Pakleds, he's way too much of a chatterbox.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Maybe he's a subspecies or something, like Boss Nass vs. the rest of the Gungans.

I think this is like orangutans and face pads. Alpha social status causes actual phenotype changes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

12 Monkeys renewed for season 4, final 10 episodes.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/12-monkeys-season-3-premiere-date-renewal/

Season 3 will be aired over 3 nights.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

12 Monkeys renewed for season 4, final 10 episodes.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/12-monkeys-season-3-premiere-date-renewal/

Season 3 will be aired over 3 nights.

is it any good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

poo poo, I meant to post this on the Syfy thread.

But yes, it is.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

poo poo, I meant to post this on the Syfy thread.

But yes, it is.

cool, I loved the film

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Frank's would be super hard working director if studios still made cheap B movies

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frake's Red Hot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

He did it efficiently and competently, but very good may be a bit too complimentary. It wasn't bad directing by any stretch, but also nothing especially impressive, movie-wise at least.

I've said it before, but Frakes was basically TNG's Nimoy -- everyone loved working for him when he directed, because he got things done quickly, efficiently and ahead of schedule. But his actual work is very bland and paint-by-numbers. I'm hard-pressed to think of a genuinely interesting camera setup in First Contact or Insurrection.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of TV directing work if he wants it. All he would have to do is pick up the phone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek kinda got a tradition as a place where actors would get a chance to try directing. If you were good, you'd direct a ton and maybe even start a solid career as a c-grade director (Frakes, McNeill, Dawson, Burton...). If you weren't, you got one chance then back to acting.

I think I'm a sucker for his weird shots. A few times an episode he'll do a tight closeup of two characters going back and forth or a shot from the upper corner of the room or something and you know it's a Frakes episode before even going to imdb.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

grilldos posted:

There's plenty of TV directing work if he wants it. All he would have to do is pick up the phone.

He campaigned, a bit too publicly, for the Beyond job after Orci was fired. I shudder to imagine how boring the movie would have been with him behind the camera.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Beachcomber posted:

Riker: Job: commandering, hobby: sex, sax, fighting

Riker plays the trombone you loving philistine, get the gently caress out of this thread.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gau posted:

Riker plays the trombone you loving philistine, get the gently caress out of this thread.

Ugh, not after he gave it to lame ol Thomas :eng99:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of a genuinely interesting camera setup in First Contact or Insurrection.

The cool fish-eye shots of going through the Borgified corridors, or the pan across the crew members being assimilated?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I think I'm a sucker for his weird shots. A few times an episode he'll do a tight closeup of two characters going back and forth or a shot from the upper corner of the room or something and you know it's a Frakes episode before even going to imdb.

I feel like I have seen or read a review somewhere for "Cause and Effect" that was very complimentary of the way Frakes always used different angles and perspectives to make the repetitive scenes different in every loop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Doctor posted:

The cool fish-eye shots of going through the Borgified corridors, or the pan across the crew members being assimilated?

I remember some commentary or something wanking itself over the shot of Picard and company striding out into the hallway with their phaser rifles, "it's just pure testosterone, this shot" :black101:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

grilldos posted:

He's not going to do "Star Trek: The Sex Generation", all right? Now stop calling him!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Isn't Frakes working as a professor/instructor at a film school right now? I feel like I've read or seen that somewhere...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bucswabe posted:

I feel like I have seen or read a review somewhere for "Cause and Effect" that was very complimentary of the way Frakes always used different angles and perspectives to make the repetitive scenes different in every loop.

"The Greatest Generation" podcast most likely.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I actually think Frakes is a pretty good director, even if he isn't the most imaginative. In fact I would say he's probably better than Nimoy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Frakes probably has a better understanding of Star Trek than almost any director they could bring in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Panzeh posted:

I actually think Frakes is a pretty good director, even if he isn't the most imaginative. In fact I would say he's probably better than Nimoy.

That's setting the bar pretty low; the only worse director in the series after Nimoy was Stuart Baird.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bucswabe posted:

Lots of reviews say that; it's pretty amazing that Cause and Effect managed to pull off that many repeats of the same stuff without ever feeling samey.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 1, episode 7 "Dax"

Continuing the streak of aping superior TNG episodes, this one rips off "The Measure of a Man." Granted, if you're going to rip something off, at least you should do something worthwhile.

This one was OK, and that's about all I have to say about it. I recognized the general's wife as Data's ostensible mother from TNG, but I couldn't place where I'd seen the Bajoran judge. I'm sure I remember her from more than seeing this episode once 20+ years ago, maybe I'll make the effort to look her up on imdb.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 1, episode 7 "Dax"

Continuing the streak of aping superior TNG episodes, this one rips off "The Measure of a Man." Granted, if you're going to rip something off, at least you should do something worthwhile.

This one was OK, and that's about all I have to say about it. I recognized the general's wife as Data's ostensible mother from TNG, but I couldn't place where I'd seen the Bajoran judge. I'm sure I remember her from more than seeing this episode once 20+ years ago, maybe I'll make the effort to look her up on imdb.

Allamaraine, if you can see

Allamaraine, watch season three.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The judge was Anne Haney, the wife in The Survivors, the TNG bit where the god entity was the only survivor of a colony attack. In real life she also was one of the actor/actresses that guest starred on basically everything through the 80s and 90s and was always a treat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

Allamaraine, if you can see

Allamaraine, watch season three.

Isn't Duet in season 1 of DS9? That's pretty much top tier of Star Trek. DS9 has far and away the strongest first two seasons of any of the series aside from TOS.

Edit- Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I actually really like the Bajoran politics stuff and I wish it hadn't been more or less entirely dropped after the second season.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 17, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is. Dramatis Personae is also in season 1, which is an episode I really like, but that's because I like Trek actors playing other characters episodes rather than it being genuinely good.

Season 2 has Rules of Acquisition, Whispers, Shadowplay (arguable as good but I like it), Blood Oath and The Wire.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Paradoxish posted:

Isn't Duet in season 1 of DS9? That's pretty much top tier of Star Trek. DS9 has far and away the strongest first two seasons of any of the series aside from TOS.

Yeah, DS9 finds its feet much quicker than any of the post-TOS treks. In season 1 they're still kinda doing okay-ish TNG scripts for the most part (with Duet standing out as one of the best Trek episodes ever), but they they spend season 2 setting up the Dominion, even if the continuity isn't quite as strong as it is in later seasons. I dunno if I'd say it hit its stride in season 2, but it's a hell of a lot better than TNG, VOY, and ENT's season 2.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I actually really like the Bajoran politics stuff and I wish it hadn't been more or less entirely dropped after the second season.

Oh indeed.

Duet was the go ahead episode for me. After that I knew they weren't loving around this time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Orv posted:

It is. Dramatis Personae is also in season 1, which is an episode I really like, but that's because I like Trek actors playing other characters episodes rather than it being genuinely good.

Season 2 has Rules of Acquisition, Whispers, Shadowplay (arguable as good but I like it), Blood Oath and The Wire.

Season 2 also ends with The Jem'Hadar, which essentially sets up the rest of the series.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that's important I guess.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gau posted:

One day, ...one night, ...Kobayashi Maru.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Most of what I know about Star Trek I've picked up by reading threads and seeing random samplings of episodes.

That being said I saw Duet from season 1 of DS9 and was surprisingly invested in it, but I get the feeling there's a lot of episodes that deal with war criminals. I feel like I've seen a few Voyager/DS9 episodes about war criminals before and it usually boils down to "They did it but all those deaths were justified for some reason" or "They didn't do it and it was all just really unfortunate." Like, one episode was about Space Mengele. Not sure if TNG or TOS did war criminal episodes or not.

Duet was great though.

vermin fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 17, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Trek loving loves war criminals. It comes up in every single series and it's almost always handled really badly, with the exception of Duet and maybe The Conscience of the King, though I think even there, the Federation characters basically want to soft shoe around the issue until it gets decided for them. It's a topic Trek covers a lot in the same idea space it covers things like the Prime Directive and things of that nature, in that it's meant to show how evolved and intelligent the Federation is and then everyone looks like a loving rear end in a top hat idiot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gau posted:

This is the part where you remember that Beachcomber isn't even real. He was just some guy from a really good holodeck program you once ran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vermin posted:

Most of what I know about Star Trek I've picked up by reading threads and seeing random samplings of episodes.

That being said I saw Duet from season 1 of DS9 and was surprisingly invested in it, but I get the feeling there's a lot of episodes that deal with war criminals. I feel like I've seen a few Voyager/DS9 episodes about war criminals before and it usually boils down to "They did it but all those deaths were justified for some reason" or "They didn't do it and it was all just really unfortunate." Like, one episode was about Space Mengele. Not sure if TNG or TOS did war criminal episodes or not.

TOS had The Conscience of the King. TNG broaches war crimes a lot, but mostly in the context of "is it okay to commit genocide/violate the prime directive in order to save ourselves?" (the answer is always no), but you've also got The High Ground dealing with the morality of terrorism in a more nuanced way, and The Survivors where the war criminal's pain and regret forms a major part of the plot.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 17, 2017