Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ugh...can't resist posting a stupid list...

I did this sort of sloppily so I'm sure I"m making some HUGE mistakes.

1983: Zelig
1984: This is Spinal Tap
1985: The Purple Rose of Cairo
1986: Aliens
1987: Evil Dead II
1988: The Thin Blue Line
1989: Crimes and Misdemeanors
1990: Gremlins 2: The New Batch
1991: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1992: Dead Alive
1993: Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
1994: Pulp Fiction
1995: Se7en
1996: Big Night
1997: Princess Mononoke
1998: Pi
1999: Magnolia
2000: Rejected
2001: Memento
2002: Minority Report
2003: Oldboy
2004: Kill Bill vol 2
2005: The Descent
2006: Pan's Labyrinth
2007: No Country for Old Men
2008: Wall E
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010: Exit Through the Gift Shop
2011: Hobo With a Shotgun
2012: It's Such a Beautiful Day
2013: Cutie and the Boxer
2014: Blind
2015: Anomalisa
2016: Green Room
2017: Colossal

loving hell some of those were hard. 2012 was just brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

glam rock hamhock posted:

1993: Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers

gently caress yeah.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

glam rock hamhock posted:

2012: It's Such a Beautiful Day

gently caress!!!! how could i forget.......???

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If it had more of a bite I'd like it less. Its a kids horror movie and I love that. It's not like some bullshit like One Missed Call or loving Stay Alive where it's a pandering kids horror movie which also tries to feel like a "big boy horror" movie.

Like you could show Krampus to a 10 year old and they'll love it and all the monsters and the weird poo poo.

IThere's not enough family horror films out there these days. If done right, they can be pretty unique in my opinion.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's not The Gate, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd put Krampus in the same genre as like, Home Alone, and The Santa Clause. But like, with a horror twist. It's "Babby's first horror movie" in a good way. Like, kids who watch Krampus are primed for Hellraiser. That's a good thing.

Also, I like Krampus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I adore Krampus.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If I were raising a child, I wouldn't mess about with Krampus and Home Alone. I'd start with Time Bandits, eight o'clock, day one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd start with Army of Darkness

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If I were raising a child, I wouldn't mess about with Krampus and Home Alone. I'd start with Time Bandits, eight o'clock, day one.

gently caress yes. Time.Bandits loving owns.

But also I would show them Krampus.

But also I should never have children.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
No love for Do The Right Thing in 89? :(

What is the general consensus on Monster Squad?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snak posted:

gently caress yes. Time.Bandits loving owns.

But also I would show them Krampus.

But also I should never have children.

oh god no children are terrible

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I made my main tiebreaker how many times I've seen something, because I can't figure out any other tiebreaker that works between Face/Off and The End of Evangelion:

1991: Barton Fink
1992: Glengarry Glenn Ross
1993: Three Colors: Blue
1994: Chungking Express
1995: Friday
1996: Scream
1997: Face/Off
1998: Rushmore
1999: Magnolia
2000: Best in Show
2001: Mulholland Drive
2002: Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
2003: Kill Bill: Volume 1
2004: I Heart Huckabees
2005: Grizzly Man
2006: Paprika
2007: Zodiac
2008: Doubt
2009: A Serious Man
2010: Four Lions
2011: Take Shelter
2012: Killer Joe
2013: Frances Ha
2014: Nightcrawler
2015: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016: Nocturnal Animals

Also doing the list made me realize the only two 2017 movies I've seen so far are Split and John Wick: Chapter 2. Get Out's probably taking pole position there tomorrow night thought.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Timecrimes: lol, why does he wrap his whole face? Got a cut on my forehead, better​ cosplay the invisible man!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark
1982: The Dark Crystal
1983: Videodrome
1984: Dune
1985: Brazil
1986: The Fly
1987: Full Metal Jacket
1988: Dead Ringers
1989: Adventures of Baron Munchausen
1990: Hunt for Red October
1991: Silence of the Lambs
1992: Army of Darkness
1993: Jurassic Park
1994: Ed Wood
1995: 12 Monkeys
1996: Fargo
1997: Good Will Hunting
1998: Rushmore
1999: Being John Malkovich
2000: Chicken Run
2001: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2002: Spirited Away
2003: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2005: Serenity
2006: Children of Men
2007: Knocked Up
2008: Wall-E
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010: The Social Network
2011: Hugo
2012: Cloud Atlas
2013: Wolf of Wall Street
2014: The Lego Movie
2015: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016: La La Land

This year so far: Get Out

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

I adore Krampus.

Same. Sure, I'd like it more if it was gorier and the ending was more clear, (no one can seem to agree if it's a happy or sad ending), but I think it's a wonderful all-ages horror film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I finished Timecrimes. Honestly, it was pretty decent. But, let's get this out of the way:

This movie has been been on lists forever. It came out in 2007. Which isn't a mark against it. What I mean to say is, this movie has been on "top scifi movies", "top thrillers", "top time travel movies" for like a decade. So I went into it knowing that. And honestly, that wasn't my problem with it. My only problem with it is the dumbest thing. LIke, it's so dumb.

I'm just gonna put the whole dumb part in spoiler tags, because, well, it's easier for me.

So here's the deal: 80% of this movie is a perfectly passable time-travel thriller with no bullshit conceits. However, the first third of the film revolves around the idea that the protagonist is being chased by a bad guy with pink bandages. Okay. So a guy has pink bandages. That's not crazy. Bandages can be any color. And this is a random stranger. So in this genre, sometimes details just exist to help give the villain form.

Here's the part the blows my mind: There is a whole sequence showing that when regular bandages get soaked with blood, they turn pink. Let's look at this again: The main villain is a guy with pink bandages. No one ever suggests that these are bloodsoaked bandages. It doesn't come up. Pink Bandages. So, when a main character is bleeding from his head, and starts to bandage it, they make a big deal that his bleeding headwound is turning the bandages pink. Holy poo poo. So at this point, I was ready to call the movie crap. Like, it doesn't even make any sense. But I looked at the clock and I was only 1/3 of the way through the movie! So it turns out, that this stupid-as-gently caress conceit that doesn't make any sense, where "pink bandages" are a plot point, is actually not relevant to anything.

So ignore all of that, read some subtitles, and enjoy a decent movie.

Almost as good as Krampus.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Man on Fire is so fearlessly experimental for a relatively mainstream action movie.

Love that movie. Tony Scott gets way too much hate. In addition to all the bold risks the film takes stylistically, I'm admittedly a total sap for the surrogate father-daughter relationship between Denzel and Dakota. That poo poo plain rends my heartstrings.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first several I saw on twitter took the enlightened way out of this dilemma and went with Zodiac.

I'd at least put it right up next to those two and I'm fond of telling people that fall into the usual debate of NCFOM vs TWBB that Zodiac is secretly the best film of that year. I'm so excited to see it in theaters next Saturday. I actually passed on it in high school so I'm rectifying an old wrong.

As far as other close calls, 1997 was as mentioned a crazy strong year. Couldn't give Titanic, Face/Off or The Sweet Hereafter any props.

2011, which I gave to Drive, left The Tree of Life and A Separation hanging as well. I'll always be particularly fond of that year. It was my first year out of college and I spent most of the summer still working part time as a waiter while I consumed insane amounts of music and film. If you check my last.fm, I think I had double the scrobbles that year than any other year; R.E.M. in particular went from a band I knew of to possibly my all-time favorite. And Drive itself introduced me to Chromatics and the Italians Do It Better record label.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snak posted:

So I finished Timecrimes. Honestly, it was pretty decent. But, let's get this out of the way:

This movie has been been on lists forever. It came out in 2007. Which isn't a mark against it. What I mean to say is, this movie has been on "top scifi movies", "top thrillers", "top time travel movies" for like a decade. So I went into it knowing that. And honestly, that wasn't my problem with it. My only problem with it is the dumbest thing. LIke, it's so dumb.

I'm just gonna put the whole dumb part in spoiler tags, because, well, it's easier for me.

So here's the deal: 80% of this movie is a perfectly passable time-travel thriller with no bullshit conceits. However, the first third of the film revolves around the idea that the protagonist is being chased by a bad guy with pink bandages. Okay. So a guy has pink bandages. That's not crazy. Bandages can be any color. And this is a random stranger. So in this genre, sometimes details just exist to help give the villain form.

Here's the part the blows my mind: There is a whole sequence showing that when regular bandages get soaked with blood, they turn pink. Let's look at this again: The main villain is a guy with pink bandages. No one ever suggests that these are bloodsoaked bandages. It doesn't come up. Pink Bandages. So, when a main character is bleeding from his head, and starts to bandage it, they make a big deal that his bleeding headwound is turning the bandages pink. Holy poo poo. So at this point, I was ready to call the movie crap. Like, it doesn't even make any sense. But I looked at the clock and I was only 1/3 of the way through the movie! So it turns out, that this stupid-as-gently caress conceit that doesn't make any sense, where "pink bandages" are a plot point, is actually not relevant to anything.

So ignore all of that, read some subtitles, and enjoy a decent movie.

Almost as good as Krampus.

I rather liked that the protagonist never got a good look at the bandaged man. At that point he is a panicked dude thinking he's followed by a slasher movie villain, I don't think such a man would look closely at the nature of his follower's head-wrappings.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Caught up on the last two episodes of Dark Archie, I think the talent show is my fav. so far, Archie is a dweeb that doesn't know Bob Dylan.

Jenny Angel posted:

Like, look at this poo poo, it plain rules that that these creatures' first act upon entering the house is to make themselves more difficult and less rewarding to look at. The scene's repeatedly trying to belabor the point that we're witnessing Wild and Wicked Hijinks, but who the gently caress shoots a hijink in like two to three shades of dark blue

Honestly feel kinda nauseous after watching that, christ. Unhijink for sure. Unhyjienic?

Let's just say unfun, because it's a bitchin' album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAE2UaWB3c

Maxwell Lord posted:

1989: Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Ayyyyy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just recently saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen for the first time. Great loving movie. I'm both surprised that Gilliam was given so much money to work with and impressed that he managed to put so much of it on the screen.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ponderous.

Also you're watching Stalker too, aren't you?

Yup, I finished reading Roadside Picnic yesterday so I started Stalker, but unfortunately fell asleep cause I was running on 0 sleep from the night before. Gonna finish it either tonight or tomorrow.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I normally don't mind showing up early to the movie theater and watching trailers, but the trailer for A Dog's Purpose is like sort of biblical test from god.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That title alone is such a turn-off.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Criminal Minded posted:

I just recently saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen for the first time. Great loving movie. I'm both surprised that Gilliam was given so much money to work with and impressed that he managed to put so much of it on the screen.

I think it's the film that cemented Gilliam was a difficult director that went over budget.

I saw both it and Brazil on hbo as a kid, and wasn't entirely sure if they were real or not until "discovering" Gilliam in highschool.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mierenneuker posted:

I normally don't mind showing up early to the movie theater and watching trailers, but the trailer for A Dog's Purpose is like sort of biblical test from god.

A God's Dog's Purpose

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So... it's the original theatrical cut, not the uncut version. Okay, weird but I guess for the truly uncut version to get put up anywhere, there's someone at WB who's gotta die first, since someone there has a really loving weird hate-boner for The Devils.

I don't think the theatrical cut was ever shown in the US, so in that sense, it is the uncut version. Just not the fully restored one.

Lurdiak posted:

Seriously, look at this poo poo.

I mean some of those are kinda cheesy or schlocky and not all of them hold up, but that is still a ridiculous list to choose from. And those are just the ones I personally like, there was some other pretty significant poo poo released that year.

Missing both Paris, Texas and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. A shameful list.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I blanked on Nausicaa, but I just ain't seen Paris, Texas.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Ive made half of my list and it's so stressful that im taking a break

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I always forget just how good 2012 was. That was easily the hardest year for me and there's like 10+ I'd have been happy saying were the best of the year. Hell, I could make a top 50 of that year without dipping into bad movies.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

2002: Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

This was a close one for me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Ive made half of my list and it's so stressful that im taking a break

I just don't have the time! The only reason I'd do one is to drop the bomb that mine would start in 1975. And to vote for TWWB.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

I just don't have the time! The only reason I'd do one is to drop the bomb that mine would start in 1975. And to vote for TWWB.

Thank god I'm not the oldest old person here (1981).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I Before E posted:

This was a close one for me.

Same here between that and Adaptation, haha.

Spike Jonze probably got the silver in four different years for me and if you swap that, Being John Malkovich, or maybe even Her with Synecdoche, NY I think they'd have taken 2008 hands down. I think that was my weakest non-2017 year.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's funny I found it progressively harder to choose movies as I went along just because I had less strong opinions. The last 5 years were like who cares whatever.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FishBulb posted:

It's funny I found it progressively harder to choose movies as I went along just because I had less strong opinions. The last 5 years were like who cares whatever.

Woe be unto thee who speaks ill of 2014.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

K. Waste posted:

It's more that I had kids in 2009 so I don't get to watch movies any more

I honestly thought about ending my list at 2008 because of that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Nah, it's a low-key masterpiece and one of the forgotten classics of the '90s black independent cinema that you can only see now on a barebones MGM DVD or apparently through Vudu.

Jason's Lyric owns.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, looking through the past few years that one stuck out. A handful of classics; a solid bench from directors like Fincher, Anderson, Jonze, the Coens, Scorsese, Linklater, the Dardennes, Nolan; genre standouts like Edge of Tomorrow, The Babbadook, Blue Ruin, The Raid 2; excellent documentaries like CitizenFour and The Look Of Silence. Even the popcorn stuff was better than average with Godzilla, the Apes movie, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TrixRabbi posted:

It should not be understated that The Spongebob Squarepants Movie is legit.

It's good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdLo9WIe6s

• Locked thread