Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Hopefully the SNP test her on this. If she bends, great. If not, hey, I'm sure that'll convince a few waverers to lean towards the independence side, with the Scottish Parliament being overruled by Westminster etc etc. Easy narrative to spin

In terms of winning, I'm not certain now was the right time to be gearing up.
I think this allows an easy narrative of "Being told what to do by Westminster" which will gain waverers, whilst allowing Sturgeon to ensure that the next time she asks, she's set to go.
It might, just maybe, get a couple concessions from May about Brexit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Hopefully the SNP test her on this. If she bends, great. If not, hey, I'm sure that'll convince a few waverers to lean towards the independence side, with the Scottish Parliament being overruled by Westminster etc etc. Easy narrative to spin

Potentially, but if May is sensible then she briefs about accepting the Scottish peoples right to choose once all the facts are on the table and the importance of not rushing, stressing that this isn't about refusing but about timing. Most of the media will probably run with that as a story making May look balanced and reasonable.

The fact it contradicts her Brexit stance will be brushed under the carpet again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

It's also a really, really well worn narrative. I'm not sure how much impact another 'Westminster grievance' will have.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tiran Dirth posted:

Potentially, but if May is sensible

Ah, I see the problem here.

Pissflaps posted:

It's also a really, really well worn narrative. I'm not sure how much impact another 'Westminster grievance' will have.

Grievance politics never go out of style.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
May's gambling the house on Brexit being a success, it seems.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Given the dire predictions for the outcome of Brexit what constitutes a 'success' is quite a low bar. The gamble is more that Brexit isn't as deleterious as many expect.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Leggsy posted:

May's gambling the house on Brexit being a success, it seems.

Whose?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pissflaps posted:

Given the dire predictions for the outcome of Brexit what constitutes a 'success' is quite a low bar. The gamble is more that Brexit isn't as deleterious as many expect.

It will be called a success regardless and lots of people will believe it to be so regardless. Path of least resistance.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
https://twitter.com/mrdissent/status/842411474429566976

Another day of fun! Apparently the Scottish Tories pushed for Theresa May to take the hard line on this, on the basis of focus-grouping which suggested 'now is not the time' was a successful meme for them. Ruth Davidson had previously articulated the view that Westminster should not block an independence referendum requested by the Scottish Parliament. Are they hedging their bets on the simple majority which polling suggests doesn't want another referendum soon? Many pro-independence supporters would agree due to the lack of consistent pro-Yes polling, but that doesn't mean they would support Westminster blocking a new vote, even less that they would vote against independence.

The SNP position that they would be willing to accept a compromise deal on Europe rather than call for another independence vote has been consistent since the EU vote last year but is now being reported as a 'climbdown'. Pro-indpendence dissent over the issue of EU / EFTA membership is also being played up in the press but I'd expect the consensus to be 'get the hoose noo, argue about the wallpaper later' when it comes down to it (Jim Sillars notwithstanding; apparently his defection was a 'major blow' to the independence project despite the fact he only has one vote in any future referendum).

People have asked about the rationale for the timing. It's based on the UK government's own timescale and position statements from the EU. The idea is to have a vote when the debate is finished but before the machinery goes into motion, potentially making it more difficult or impossible for Scotland to join the EU / EFTA.

It's quite the spectacle: each side is pretending to be the most reasonable whilst simultaneously facing each other down in what looks sure to be the first real constitutional crisis of the devolution era.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/842415773075283968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Judging from the responses so far it's the Nationalists who are where they want to be today, immediately ahead of their conference, and with the Parliament sure to back them next week.

O and the 'Article 50 bill' got Royal assent today, was apparently a thing.

E: changed 'independence' to 'another independence vote' for clarity.

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 16, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Juliet Whisky posted:

The SNP position that they would be willing to accept a compromise deal on Europe rather than call for independence has been consistent since the EU vote last year but is now being reported as a 'climbdown'.

For Scotland in the uk? Sure. For an independent Scotland? No way. That's new.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Pissflaps posted:

For Scotland in the uk? Sure. For an independent Scotland? No way. That's new.

Yes that was not deliberate, changed it, cheers for pointing it out.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842372721522675712

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

mehall posted:

In terms of winning, I'm not certain now was the right time to be gearing up.

That was my initial feeling too, but I think actually it's good to get it out there. That Sturgeon was going to call for another referendum sooner or later due to Brexit was obvious, and getting it in now, as well as trying to hold it before the UK leaves the EU, means that the government has to actually talk about what Scotland's place in a post-Brexit UK would look like. It also means that the choice is between two different flavours of radical change - there is no status quo vote this time around. I'm sure that May would much rather have continued ignoring the other three countries that make up the UK and just focusing on English issues, but that's not going to work if she has to fight an IndyRef at the same time as doing Brexit negotiations. If Scotland remains in the UK then we won't have been forgotten in the negotiations, and if it leaves then it'll be doing so with eyes open. As opposed to post-Brexit when the pressure is off and May can just say "everything will be great, stick with the status quo".

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Sturgeon has played a blinder so far but I thought today's line about sealing the UK's fate was a poor one.

It's hardly in line with their democratic stance to date. Sounded very one party state. People don't like things being presented as a done deal.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zalakwe posted:

Sturgeon has played a blinder so far but I thought today's line about sealing the UK's fate was a poor one.

It's hardly in line with their democratic stance to date. Sounded very one party state. People don't like things being presented as a done deal.

on the other hand, they do. it shows clear leadership in these rocky times.

but yeah. so far Sturgeon has done well, if nothing else the prospect of another Scottish indy ref will keep the tories mindful that they need to get a decent deal for Scotland as well during the negotiations, which may well work out better for the rest of the UK as well.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

JFairfax posted:

but yeah. so far Sturgeon has done well, if nothing else the prospect of another Scottish indy ref will keep the tories mindful that they need to get a decent deal for Scotland as well during the negotiations, which may well work out better for the rest of the UK as well.

Expecting the Tories to be mindful of other countries or anyone that would be hindered by their incompetence is a very amusing thought. Because that would mean that they would give at least a tiny amount of poo poo in what they have been doing.

So any deal with the EU with Scotland won't happen.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
If the Tories are sensible then they will at least find a few scraps of meaningless but nice-sounding concessions on their brexit plans so that they have something to point at and repeat endlessly in interviews so that it sounds like they give a poo poo, but then if they were sensible they probably wouldn't be pursuing Hard Murderdeath Obliteration Brexit from a result of 52/48

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zalakwe posted:

I don't think Sturgeon has played a blinder. I think she's had to ask for a referendum, and I think May has had to say no.

Extreme0 posted:

So any deal with the EU with Scotland won't happen.

There has never been the slighest possibility of a unique EU deal with Scotland different to the rest of the UK while Scotland is a part of the UK. It's an utter fantasy.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

There has never been the slighest possibility of a unique EU deal with Scotland different to the rest of the UK while Scotland is a part of the UK. It's an utter fantasy.

Naturally.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Sturgeon has played a blinder.

Gosh, there's a shocker.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Sturgeon has played a blinder. I think she's had to ask for a referendum, and I think May has had to say no.

Are you suggesting that May vetoed the referendum?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

No.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lol

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

In the other thread you have argued consistently that opposition parties should using their soft influencing power more. I completely agree.

I also don't think you will find many better examples of a party doing so than the SNP over the last few days. They have no actual power to do anything on this issue, yet the media narrative for days has been "Sturgeon has UKGov on the run" to the point it bounced the Telegraph into an awful attack piece that even they had to pull the headline of. They've even managed to get coverage on the tax issue where Labour failed to land a blow.

Time will tell what the long term implications of the last few days are but they get nothing more than what they're got they will have done well with nothing.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

In the other thread you have argued consistently that opposition parties should using their soft influencing power more. I completely agree.

I also don't think you will find many better examples of a party doing so than the SNP over the last few days. They have no actual power to do anything on this issue, yet the media narrative for days has been "Sturgeon has UKGov on the run" to the point it bounced the Telegraph into an awful attack piece that even they had to pull the headline of. They've even managed to get coverage on the tax issue where Labour failed to land a blow.

I agree with this, even though, as the guardian pointed out, the SNP basically couldn't lose with this announcement, at least in the short term: either they get the thing they (ostensibly) want, or may/the Tories compound their image as stubborn arseholes determined to drag everyone kicking and screaming into a hard brexit.

One thing that's also come out, and which helps bolster the independence argument, is that the Tories, even the Scottish ones, seem to have no idea how holyrood differs from Westminster (or at least pretend to): they keep mentioning how the snp's minority government means there's no mandate for a referendum, straight up ignoring that there's more than one pro Indy party. I can see why their doing it, to try and make this all about the SNP, but it's flat out wrong, and helps add to the image that the Tories simply don't know or don't care about anything beyond their own narrow horizons.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zalakwe posted:

Time will tell what the long term implications of the last few days are but they get nothing more than what they're got they will have done well with nothing.

You won't find me describing the SNP as anything other than a very well run, well lead and disciplined party.

But I do think that on this Sturgeon's actions have been dictated by events - there was always going to be another demand for a referendum after the vote last year, and with the calls for one sooner rather than later growing louder and the SNP conference imminent, I'm not sure how much choice she had.

Maybe I'm wrong and this fresh democratic outrage will drive people to seek independence but with the majority of Scots not wanting a referendum within the next two years, if at all, Sturgeon is starting to look a bit tantrummy and I'm not sure it'll do anything other than reinforce existing opinions.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Niric posted:

One thing that's also come out, and which helps bolster the independence argument, is that the Tories, even the Scottish ones, seem to have no idea how holyrood differs from Westminster (or at least pretend to): they keep mentioning how the snp's minority government means there's no mandate for a referendum, straight up ignoring that there's more than one pro Indy party. I can see why their doing it, to try and make this all about the SNP, but it's flat out wrong, and helps add to the image that the Tories simply don't know or don't care about anything beyond their own narrow horizons.

They are on new ground as Holyrood opposition, and May has a reputation for being very controlling. They might be about to have a recurrence of Labour's branch office problem. For example why deploy David Mundell so much over the last few days when Ruth Davidson must be infinitely more popular? Maybe they are trying to protect her but I doubt it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I'm officially moving back to Edinburgh in 4 weeks time :toot:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Why would you move to England?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.ft.com/content/e248b414-0a37-11e7-ac5a-903b21361b43

quote:

Scotland could abandon currency union with UK, says Alex Salmond

better late than never I suppose

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That goes without saying though - leaving the UK means 'abandoning a currency union'.

It was only nationalists who insisted that there would be a currency union following independence.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe I'm wrong and this fresh democratic outrage will drive people to seek independence but with the majority of Scots not wanting a referendum within the next two years, if at all, Sturgeon is starting to look a bit tantrummy and I'm not sure it'll do anything other than reinforce existing opinions.

Whether bounced or not though she has done well.

Re. long term impact I'm not sure either. Personally I was dead against independence last time but I'm not sure how I'd vote given the chance this time.

The thought of Scotland being tied to Brexit, this Tory Government and the depth of xenophobia in the electorate that voted for it (although arguably that attitude is not their fault, they are still responsible for their actions) has me wavering. My Facebook wall suggests a lot of my other friends don't agree however, and they were in Scotland when the last vote was held while I was not. The counterpoint is that if Scotland were to become independent the short term economic shock would mean that people die. I am usually a big fan for voting for what is put in front of me, not what might happen, however this time there are simply too many unknowns to do that. The long term performance of Scotland vs. the UK is almost impossible to predict.

There is one (almost) golden rule, when you ask people to vote twice in a short space of time you tend to get the same answer back with interest.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 17, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zalakwe posted:

There is one (almost) golden rule, when you ask people to vote twice in a short space of time you tend to get the same answer back with interest.
Since the last vote was a 15 point collapse in the Remain camp relative to the start of the campaign we'll have to see what that implies for this one.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Since the last vote was a 15 point collapse in the Remain camp relative to the start of the campaign we'll have to see what that implies for this one.

The point is that has happened now and it wasn't enough, how can you re-motivate those people and change even more minds this time?

There is lots to be cheerful about in the independence camp at the moment however if that's your bent you shouldn't lose sight of the fact a second referendum will be a huge challenge. Change vs Status Quo and people have had a lot of change recently.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

e: nevermind

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
To be fair that is the nationalist's central argument: the status quo has gone so it's a choice of two new alternatives.

Which is why they need the referendum sooner rather than later, before a new status quo is established.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've been here a couple years now and still love it, having been a country bumpkin all my life. Sometimes I worry about Glaswegians and their inferiority complex.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

Change vs Status Quo and people have had a lot of change recently.

big scary monsters posted:

the choice is between two different flavours of radical change - there is no status quo vote this time around.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Time for a goonmeet again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I've been here a couple years now and still love it, having been a country bumpkin all my life. Sometimes I worry about Glaswegians and their inferiority complex.

I've lived in Glasgow for more than a decade and I still worry about Glaswegians' complexes. I wouldn't say it's inferiority though, that implies a level of self reflection and self criticism which I've yet to come across...