Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zzulu posted:

most of the people in this thread who actually played the game instead of just staring at the selected awkward moments compilations think it's been fine so far. The most scathing review I saw in this thread said it was "dull". On this page alone you can see several examples of people enjoying it

It's entirely possible people are a bit hyperbolic itt
But what does fine mean? Dragon Age 2 fine? That game didn't fall apart either but playing it was just a giant waste of time. I don't think ME:A will set the new bar for bad games like some people suggest or something but the positive reviews of the game so far sound like it's some mediocre generic title only held above water thanks to brand name. There are different standards set for different series and 'it's not that bad' isn't enough for a high profile release like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

So game average to good?

Yes. If the initial press is correct and EA showed off the worst parts of the game, it could quickly head towards good territory. Time will tell.

Palpek posted:

But what does fine mean? Dragon Age 2 fine? That game didn't fall apart either but playing it was just a giant waste of time. I don't think ME:A will set the new bar for bad games like some people suggest or something but the positive reviews of the game so far sound like it's some mediocre generic title only held above water thanks to brand name. There are different standards set for different series and 'it's not that bad' isn't enough for a high profile release like this.

It is definitely more DAI and less DA2.
And while this game is definitely getting a pass in some areas for being a Mass Effect game, it's also copping criticism it definitely doesn't deserve because LOL EA (MONEYGRUBBING BASTARDS) and LOL BIOWARE (JUST MAKE ME KOTOR 3 AND JADE EMPIRE).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 17, 2017

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Zzulu posted:

most of the people in this thread who actually played the game instead of just staring at the selected awkward moments compilations think it's been fine so far. The most scathing review I saw in this thread said it was "dull". On this page alone you can see several examples of people enjoying it

It's entirely possible people are a bit hyperbolic itt

...hyperbole on internet forum for videogame discussion...?

Some more thoughts about the writing from me, respected opinionhaver: it's super uneven. there are stretches with absolutely fine banter and dialogue and then suddenly you pick a dialogue option where if Ryder had literally just said the words on the dialogue wheel it would fit in and be fine but instead what comes out is a way too long groaner. more so in this than in other ME and DA games.

bioware people have bragged about how much dialogue there is in the game which is basically the same thing as admitting they went with quantity over quality and welp, that's what you get :shobon:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If nothing else Andromeda reminded me that ME3's multiplayer was good and cool and I'm gonna go see if that still has a player-base because this Andromeda netcode is driving me loving crazy.

Gonna wait to buy until people break through the 10-hour barrier at real launch and report back on the rest of the story.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
there's a bunch of people out there that loudly and repeatedly insist that The Old Republic is a huge financial failure that almost sunk Bioware, and the amount of vitriol that I'm seeing about this game in some places makes me think that we'll have a repeat of that delusion

some people really can't handle the concept of "thing i dislike is selling well despite my disapproval"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
"BioWare tried to push the boundaries of the software, particularly in the area of character animation, which Mac Walters felt was at an "all-time high"."

*That scuttling character gif*

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'n getting the impression people who like it are mostly in for the shooty bits, which yea, gameplay wise this looks to be okay.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I feel like I'm the only one who loved Dragon Age: Inquisition. I think it's the best in its series, and Bioware's best since ME2.

Even then, I'm a little apprehensive toward this game, but I'm going in with an open mind and an understanding that the animation is jank.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RottenK posted:

there's a bunch of people out there that loudly and repeatedly insist that The Old Republic is a huge financial failure that almost sunk Bioware

Zuh? Where does that come from? It's no WoW, and it surely isn't the cash cow EA hoped for, but I've only ever heard about this game turning a profit.

Beefstew posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who loved Dragon Age: Inquisition. I think it's the best in its series, and Bioware's best since ME2.

You're not. Plenty of people enjoyed DA: I.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Avalerion posted:

I'n getting the impression people who like it are mostly in for the shooty bits, which yea, gameplay wise this looks to be okay.
I love the new jump/dodge but I'm really not sold on the auto-cover system yet. When I'm trying to move around a level it feels like I need to tread lightly because if I go too near any surface it'll attract me like a magnet.

Skippy McPants posted:

Zuh? Where does that come from? It's no WoW, and it surely isn't the cash cow EA hoped for, but I've only ever heard about this game turning a profit.
Could be Gamer Hyperbole. A subscription-based WoW-level sucess money machine was what they wanted and expected for sure because it's EA and an MMO and Star Wars. It never failed but it never lived up to those expectations either. It's doing a ton better now it's F2P.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 17, 2017

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Palpek posted:

From the trial it looks to me like there is a good game in there but it's been diluted in 3 times the volume of just, stuff, I guess? Mass Effect: Inquisition is my takeaway from the trial and what that means will vary a lot because opinions on inquisition are also very varied.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pierson posted:

I love the new jump/dodge but I'm really not sold on the auto-cover system yet. When I'm trying to move around a level it feels like I need to tread lightly because if I go too near any surface it'll attract me like a magnet.

RyderxCover OTP

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Palpek posted:

It's really hard to tell after just 10 hours in a game of this length so most people are ambivalent to say that it's anything but fine. Take it as an indicator that it could be fun and not a garbage fire though

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

"BioWare tried to push the boundaries of the software, particularly in the area of character animation, which Mac Walters felt was at an "all-time high"."

*That scuttling character gif*

mac walters is the gift that keeps on giving

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

But is that even a problem? Cover isn't sticky anymore, so you can just walk out of it, and you don't go into cover when your weapon is holstered.

Once I figured out there was a button to swap the camera to your other shoulder I had no issues with the new system.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
kind of wish that some competitor would come out that would put pressure on bioware. i mean theres W I T C H E R 3, but thats u playing as a predefined character & no squad so bioware can just ignore it since they're the only company attempting AAA team rpg games that arent infinity engine throwbacks or jrpgs

guerilla games might move in on their space and gently caress them up but they'll probably just keep making HZN sequels for the next few years

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
So far it's not coming together like the previous MEs did. Some feel that ME1 starts slow, and I agree - but I felt excited during character creation and was hooked from the whoooooooooooosh as the logo flashes and the music reaches a crescendo. ME2 has that when the Normandy comes out of dock, and ME3 sorta has it with the evacuation from Earth. MEA lacks a similar moment - the music in the opening felt rote and uninspired, and the narration felt rushed. There should be more buildup - either in tone or volume - for a project this significant. The out of game Andromeda Initiative videos do a pretty good job of this, but the game doesn't grab the baton and set off from there.

The peak moment for me was checking out the various star systems - the music is perfect and the scanning's fine (especially since probes aren't limited quantity anymore, thankfully). But I think that's less of a reflection of its own quality and more in that everything else to that point is a bit underwhelming.

I've enjoyed the combat and progression systems well enough, and I'll likely be playing a lot for a few days after launch, but there's a general lack of pathos and moments of wonder. Hope that changes but I'm not optimistic, especially given (prologue end) the stale and uninteresting entrance of The Archon. Like, why should I be concerned about this guy. He can't even do what dad did, the cheap gently caress.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Skippy McPants posted:

4chan and any online place where people with similar mindsets congregate

i was posting there myself back when the game came out and i remember there was a period of a few days shortly after release where people of /v/ would sit in a chatroom watching a livestream of EA's stock price because a lot of people literally believed that TOR's going to sink the entire company

that level of delusion has passed but the sentiment that TOR failed is still pretty strong in a lot of places

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One of my bigger gripes actually is that Ryder is unable to jump. You only ever use your jetpack, so if you are walking around the Nexus or the Tempest, you can't jump. It's bugging me quite a bit. Don't judge me, I mained a Night Elf in WoW and have chronic-jump disease!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

She's supposed to be 26 but she looks 50

I'd bang her

but im girlryder so she's gonna have to become my bro instead

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

kind of wish that some competitor would come out that would put pressure on bioware.

Old Bioware/Obsidian

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

Could be Gamer Hyperbole. A subscription-based WoW-level sucess money machine was what they wanted and expected for sure because it's EA and an MMO and Star Wars. It never failed but it never lived up to those expectations either. It's doing a ton better now it's F2P.

Well poo poo, even Blizzard failed at making the next big MMO. There are a ton reasons why TOR couldn't be the next WoW, but nobody was aware of those pitfalls for most of the game's development. As it stands, they've weathered the MMO bubble pop better than just about any other game I can think of.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Frustrated posted:

Your third ability is up in the air with this build. Singularity is good for crowd control, can be moded to do extra damage to shields, and is the biggest aoe primer. The cooldown kind of sucks on it though (starting at 24 seconds). It also doesn't effect armored or shielded targets for combos but does do damage to them.

Playing on Hardcore, Singularity set up combos on shielded enemies for me. I used Singularity into Throw for those heavy Kett guys. Are you talking single or multiplayer?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

kind of wish that some competitor would come out that would put pressure on bioware. i mean theres W I T C H E R 3, but thats u playing as a predefined character & no squad so bioware can just ignore it since they're the only company attempting AAA team rpg games that arent infinity engine throwbacks or jrpgs

guerilla games might move in on their space and gently caress them up but they'll probably just keep making HZN sequels for the next few years

Same guys who made Witcher 3 are making a sci fi RPG next so it seems like they ARE the guys who are becoming the biggest competitor to Bioware

The thing is, these games come out so rarely that they rarely compete with eachother anyway so

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
TOR Was kind of the last of the flood of MMO's that were conceptualized/pitched years ago when WOW was at it's biggest point but the market also looked ripe for the next big thing, of course by the time all these games were finished, neither of those realities were the case anymore. None of them panned out to be much, but TOR is apparently doing quite well for itself nowadays, last I heard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Torrannor posted:

One of my bigger gripes actually is that Ryder is unable to jump. You only ever use your jetpack, so if you are walking around the Nexus or the Tempest, you can't jump. It's bugging me quite a bit. Don't judge me, I mained a Night Elf in WoW and have chronic-jump disease!

This gets me too. I am an obsessive space-bar tapper.

Like, you can jump just fine in DA: I. What the gently caress?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

isk posted:

I've enjoyed the combat and progression systems well enough, and I'll likely be playing a lot for a few days after launch, but there's a general lack of pathos and moments of wonder. Hope that changes but I'm not optimistic, especially given (prologue end) the stale and uninteresting entrance of The Archon. Like, why should I be concerned about this guy. He can't even do what dad did, the cheap gently caress.

I loved this entrance... I loved that he didn't say a single word and I loved how he stares at the human hologram after he himself failed to do what the human hologram did. You can almost feel in that moment that the Archon decides that humans need to gently caress off forever

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

Playing on Hardcore, Singularity set up combos on shielded enemies for me. I used Singularity into Throw for those heavy Kett guys. Are you talking single or multiplayer?

Wait? Singularity can prime shielded enemies? Holy poo poo. Does it work on armor? I was so pissed that they removed the primer from Warp when it became Lance and I would love to get back a way to prime boss characters in single player.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

This gets me too. I am an obsessive space-bar tapper.

Like, you can jump just fine in DA: I. What the gently caress?

Jumping is lostech after the third succession wars.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait? Singularity can prime shielded enemies? Holy poo poo. Does it work on armor? I was so pissed that they removed the primer from Warp when it became Lance and I would love to get back a way to prime boss characters in single player.

singularity on any target, armoured or shielded, and as long as they are in the effect radius hitting them with lance will do like 3x the damage.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dan Didio posted:

TOR Was kind of the last of the flood of MMO's that were conceptualized/pitched years ago when WOW was at it's biggest point but the market also looked ripe for the next big thing, of course by the time all these games were finished, neither of those realities were the case anymore. None of them panned out to be much, but TOR is apparently doing quite well for itself nowadays, last I heard.

A friend of mine plays TOR and he says that they basically made a single-player MMO with the two big expansions they did. Like if you were playing ME3 but every often you could just go run a dungeon with other Shepards if you wanted, or just ignore the MMO aspect of it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Martout posted:

singularity on any target, armoured or shielded, and as long as they are in the effect radius hitting them with lance will do like 3x the damage.

Awesome. I'll still miss good wrap and the cooldown is a pain, but it's something.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Schlesische posted:

It is definitely more DAI and less DA2.

Can... can we split the difference?

I guess the most accurate way to describe the way I feel is that the trial area feels like Act 1 of DA2. Nothing offensively bad has happened yet and the mechanics SEEM good so far... but like DA2 Act 1 I just can't shake the impression that something is 'off', especially with the writing. DA2 had some standout characters like Varric and Aveline, the same way this game does, but it overall feels like it was written by the B-Team, know what I mean? It doesn't help that much like the Mage/Templar conflict, Ryder becoming The Most Important Person In Andromeda seems weirdly forced and inorganic, like there's a dozen reasons why this shouldn't be happening but the writers aren't going to let THAT stop them.

There aren't any giant warning signs saying 'avoid avoid avoid' so far (unless you care deeply about facial animations) but the plot definitely hasn't inspired confidence so far, and while it COULD spread it's wings and soar it could just as easily crash and burn.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 17, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:3:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Zzulu posted:

I loved this entrance... I loved that he didn't say a single word and I loved how he stares at the human hologram after he himself failed to do what the human hologram did. You can almost feel in that moment that the Archon decides that humans need to gently caress off forever

I'm legit glad someone picked up on this. I missed it completely with his blank face and ho-hum body language.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Can... can we split the difference?

I guess the most accurate way to describe the way I feel is that the trial area feels like Act 1 of DA2. Nothing offensively bad has happened yet and the mechanics SEEM good so far... but like DA2 Act 1 I just can't shake the impression that something is 'off', especially with the writing. DA2 had some standout characters like Varric and Aveline, the same way this game does, but it overall feels like it was written by the B-Team, know what I mean? It doesn't help that much like the Mage/Templar conflict, Ryder becoming The Most Important Person In Andromeda seems weirdly forced and inorganic, like there's a dozen reasons why this shouldn't be happening but the writers aren't going to let THAT stop them.

There aren't a giant warning signs saying 'avoid avoid avoid' so far (unless you care deeply about facial animations) but the plot definitely hasn't inspired confidence so far, and while it COULD spread it's wings and soar it could just as easily crash and burn.

Agreed that the writing's not great. What stands out to me is that it's coupled with poor voice direction. It's always a challenge because both actors aren't usually in the studio at the same time, but most interactions seem more disconnected than I'd expect in a game like this. Lines are delivered in a tone that doesn't match the moment or what was said right before.

Good voice direction can elevate a mediocre script, but it doesn't seem like that's happening here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It feels a bit off because I'm not playing as COMMANDER GOD drat SHEPARD, SOLDIER GOD and SAVIOUR OF THE GALAXY

Instead I'm a 20 year old newbie with no clue on how to do anything

This isnt necessarily bad so far it's just very different

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 17, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Spiders badly wants to be Bioware, but isn't quite getting there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Like other ssaid, there also seems to be no clear "Renegade" options. responses are angled in a certain direction but none of the directions seem to be "dickhead" which is a drat shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I cant keep up with this thread now, i go to sleep for 6 hours and wake up to like 700 new posts, then by the time i finally get through those in the afternoon there's another 700 new ones. Sorry guys, I don't really have the energy to keep grossing out the thread with alien sex talk anymore :smith:

Like, i'll give it one more shot? idk, i can't wait to.. give the cat guy a rimjob? idk, i'm not at my best anymore. my face is tired...

game looks good