Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cythereal posted:

Hoping Zso Sahaal gets rules in 30k one of these days. Lord of the Night was one of the first 40k books I ever read and did a lot to sell me on the setting.

It was the 3rd book I read after the first two Blood Angels novels and it got me hooked. If I hadn't read it when I did I never would have became obsessed with the novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hide all my warhammer books

Mostly because the bookshelf is in the living room and so my gf has final say.

I do proudly display all my history and current event books though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just got done with the Eisenhorn trilogy. The end of book 3 was pretty okay, a little weird with Eisenhorn smashcut-riding into the sunset on his best buddy slash worst enemy, but overall kinda cool. I actually laughed out loud at the epilogue spoiling the entirety of the Ravenor trilogy.

The whole inner-conflict of Eisenhorn towards the finale of book three, and how it influences his relationships with his associates, and how the reader is supposed to feel about him seemed written really awkwardly to me.

And what the gently caress was that end of book 2. I recall someone in this thread writing about Abnett wrapping up a bunch of poo poo in like four pages, but goddamn, you really weren't loving around.

Started the Night Lords omnibus while riding the Arizona Shuttle and praying to my corpse-god to deliver me from that perpetual flaming wreck, and it's pretty drat cool so far.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Guy Goodbody posted:

By weird big books do you mean the 800+ page omnibuses? If so, yes buy Night Lords

I mean like big in dimension but also with big text for easy-to-read eyes. Doing some quick wikipedia work, most pulp novels are "octavo" sized but BL has been releasing a lot of books in "quarto" size. Are the any of the "quarto" sized books worth reading and/or will they eventually be released in a normal "octavo" size?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

I mean like big in dimension but also with big text for easy-to-read eyes. Doing some quick wikipedia work, most pulp novels are "octavo" sized but BL has been releasing a lot of books in "quarto" size. Are the any of the "quarto" sized books worth reading and/or will they eventually be released in a normal "octavo" size?

Get a Kindle paperwhite and you don't have to worry about font sizes. I like "real" books too, but they take up too much space and I love being able to hold an entire library on my Kindle. I do, however, hate the way I have to organize the books manually into series. One day I'll stop being lazy and find a plugin that does it for me.

BL is moving to the larger format because they stand out on a bookstore shelf and they can charge more for them.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Totally agree on iron warriors. I don't find their history the least bit interesting but even with poor authors they come across as honestly one of the scariest ones. Just pure hatred and disgust towards everything.

I have an entire bookcase of GW/BL stuff. I've built a few now for me and my wife but I could use a few more once we move to a bigger place. I don't care if people see it, plenty have and they'll usually grab one of the big art books or liber chaotica and since I don't play or really talk about it offline, they find it totally insane and if they're readers they find it interesting and ask about it.

A couple of hairdressers that work with my wife even borrow them now. Game of thrones has made whatthefuckery much more palatable to people, I think. My wife read the night lords trilogy without really knowing anything about 40k and loved it and has read others now and she and her friends don't really care about the background, interesting characters are interesting characters. What is pretty cool is they'll browse through an art book and they've all said they help kinda develop mental images and the scale of things the books tend to assume the reader has an idea of. My wife is even really into the miniatures from visual standpoint, the old manager at the local gw store was an incredible painter/sculptor and he went all out on the cool kits like Nagash.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My girlfriend wanted to know what all the jokes about Heresy were in the pub all those years ago, and in the end she went to Games Day with me one year just to get her Gaunt's Ghosts books signed. Turns out we're not living in some 80's college movie and nerd poo poo doesn't bother people.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone wants to catch up, BL has a HH collection for the low, low price of $489.99 USD!

Get your copy before it's too late! (i.e. they add more stuff and raise the price even higher.)

In fairness, it's not terrible pricing - it averages out to like $2.50 per novel/novella/story.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Only like $70 for each novel actually worth reading!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Totally agree on iron warriors. I don't find their history the least bit interesting but even with poor authors they come across as honestly one of the scariest ones. Just pure hatred and disgust towards everything.

Which is a shame because their premise is good, but instead of exploring it, we get Honsou's rape baby factory to show how evil he is. Instead of Perturabo the Builder, slowly building in frustration as his works of public art are turned into battlements and punishment halls, we get a snippy rear end in a top hat who decimates his own legion because he's jealous they weren't the best. There is a great opportunity to look at the Iron Warriors and how, if they weren't weapons of war, they could become craftsmen and artisans. Contrasting with their current persona as the most brutal, fatalistic legion, there could be tragedy there on the same level as ADB's Angron portrayal.

But instead we get rape babies and siege experts and not much else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is a shame because their premise is good, but instead of exploring it, we get Honsou's rape baby factory to show how evil he is. Instead of Perturabo the Builder, slowly building in frustration as his works of public art are turned into battlements and punishment halls, we get a snippy rear end in a top hat who decimates his own legion because he's jealous they weren't the best. There is a great opportunity to look at the Iron Warriors and how, if they weren't weapons of war, they could become craftsmen and artisans. Contrasting with their current persona as the most brutal, fatalistic legion, there could be tragedy there on the same level as ADB's Angron portrayal.

But instead we get rape babies and siege experts and not much else.

Angel Exterminatus had an interesting take on Perturabo, that much like Angron he hated the Imperium and the Emperor from the word go because they're nothing but tyrants and he'd spent his entire life until that day fighting tyrants. In that book, Perturabo cared nothing for the lives of his men because they're brainwashed footsoldiers of the galaxy's greatest tyrant - why the gently caress would Pert care about their lives? Pert at his heart was on the order of Leonardo da Vinci reincarnate, a man who wanted nothing more than to be a diplomat and build monuments and structures of peace and glory. Only like Lorgar, he was forced instead to be a soldier.

Part of Perturabo's character in that book is that he keeps drawing awe-inspiring buildings and plans for them, but refuses to build them because they never quite match his dreams - and when he does build them, they never fail to be misused. Perturabo planned and built the facility on Nikea, envisioned as an ampitheater for contests of honest skill and glory, and saw it used instead to put one of his own brothers on trial.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
But pert didn't like magnus anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lite_sleepr posted:

But pert didn't like magnus anyway.

Magnus and Lorgar were the only people Pert did get along with according to Angel Exterminatus, because they were about the only other primarchs who had dreams of being more than just generals and warlords. Pert doesn't want to be a soldier, and he certainly doesn't want to fight for the Imperium or the Emperor. A lot like Angron, Pert's a ticking time bomb of a primarch who hates everything the Imperium stands for and had to be coerced into pretending to give a gently caress about it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Didn't Pert believe that unless you fought by swinging a crane arm over your head you were a slippery slimy sorcerer to be hated? I read that in the description of one of the newer books where Magnus and Pert are fighting together, and Magnus is torn between maintaining the brotherhood of arms, or pursuing ancient magicks on some worlds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lite_sleepr posted:

Didn't Pert believe that unless you fought by swinging a crane arm over your head you were a slippery slimy sorcerer to be hated? I read that in the description of one of the newer books where Magnus and Pert are fighting together, and Magnus is torn between maintaining the brotherhood of arms, or pursuing ancient magicks on some worlds.

That's Mortarion.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
TBF Pert, Mort, Khan, Vulkan, and Corax all need some work. Vulkan and Corax have had some work but Kyme and Mort and Pert remain pretty unknowable. Haven't read Khan (it comes it Octavo format so I don't want it) but maybe Khan was developed.

Every other Primarch has been knowable since forever. Even if they've changed significantly their core character hasn't actually changed. Lionel went from "You can't trust Native Americans because they are shifty and inscrutible" to the more palatable "He is a vaguely Germanic shifty dude". Angron went from "Angry all the time" to "Noble warrior who is angry all the time (and vaguely Steppe people themed)".

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Anyone every read any of the Warhammer 40K comics? I just bought one today, Part 1 of "Will of Iron."

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Damnation Crusade is loving ace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Local comic place seems to only get them on special order. I might ask them to get trades if there are any. Who is publishing them?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Rat posted:

Damnation Crusade is loving ace.

Is that the one with the Blood Angels? That was rad, I remember years ago I had a comic that had a chapter of blood angels kicking rear end, there was dwarf Daniel Plainview guy who fought a rat ogre and a Malus Darkblade stealing an artifact story. Totally the poo poo.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Is that the one with the Blood Angels? That was rad, I remember years ago I had a comic that had a chapter of blood angels kicking rear end, there was dwarf Daniel Plainview guy who fought a rat ogre and a Malus Darkblade stealing an artifact story. Totally the poo poo.

Wasn't that Blood Quest?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Damnation Crusade is Black Templars and TWINS THEY WERE.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Immanentized posted:

Wasn't that Blood Quest?

Yeah, that was Blood Quest. The first in a long line of stories where a random Captain from a random chapter gets booted out because of <reasons> and has to go on quests to regain his honouere and be let back in.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Local comic place seems to only get them on special order. I might ask them to get trades if there are any. Who is publishing them?

Titan Comics, I believe.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, that was Blood Quest. The first in a long line of stories where a random Captain from a random chapter gets booted out because of <reasons> and has to go on quests to regain his honouere and be let back in.

I listened to a Bloodquest audio drama once, it was kinda fun.

Speaking of audio dramas, it really bothers me how little actually happens. I listened to The Either last night while I was painting, and while I loved the production (multiple voice actors, music, sound effects) the story didn't really go anywhere. A guy thinks he's hot poo poo, turns out he isn't, so he does a thing with almost no conflict and now he has the opportunity to prove himself. The end. I've felt the same way about most audio dramas; they're either just two guys talking or a whole lot of nothing happening.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Damnation Crusade is the TANCRED ENDURES one, right?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There's a real cool comic where some guardsmen give up on life and space marines come and use him as bait to kill some xenos

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Damnation Crusade is the TANCRED ENDURES one, right?

Correct, co-written by Dan Abnett, by the way.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Correct, co-written by Dan Abnett, by the way.

Did that one have the Very Lonely Boltpistol short too?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Immanentized posted:

Did that one have the Very Lonely Boltpistol short too?

No, but it has a wonderful 80's singing scene.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Angry Lobster posted:

No, but it has a wonderful 80's singing scene.

And this actually is available from BL as a non-ridiculously-priced eBook! :eyepop:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The best 40k comic is and shall always be Deth Squadren :colbert:

Though the new one has been getting some good reviews from people I trust and has this cool lady Inquisitor in some bitching Terminator armour.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SteelMentor posted:

The best 40k comic is and shall always be Deth Squadren :colbert:

Though the new one has been getting some good reviews from people I trust and has this cool lady Inquisitor in some bitching Terminator armour.

I really wish I could understand how those arms work

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah what the hell, it's like she's wearing actual space marine armor instead of human scale power armor.

I mean it looks cool but it also looks incredibly stupid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With women in 40k, I've learned to take "doesn't really make sense, looks kinda dumb." It's preferable to the more common depictions.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I wonder if thats an actual black carapace under her skin or if its just like some space leotards

But i think she probaly opperates the arms and legs with controls and pedals that are in the chest and or the biceps and thighs of the armor

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I wonder if thats an actual black carapace under her skin or if its just like some space leotards

But i think she probaly opperates the arms and legs with controls and pedals that are in the chest and or the biceps and thighs of the armor

If I remember correctly, only Marines wear a Black Carapace - everyone else just uses power armor as an exo-suit.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

If I remember correctly, only Marines wear a Black Carapace - everyone else just uses power armor as an exo-suit.

Yeah, the Black Carapace is the last gene-seed implant that the space marines get, pretty sure. It's subdermal, not a body suit.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

hopterque posted:

Yeah what the hell, it's like she's wearing actual space marine armor instead of human scale power armor.

I mean it looks cool but it also looks incredibly stupid.

e: The only difference between the SoB's power armor and Astartes armor is that humans don't get the black carapace, or so I think. Is that right?

Yep. Black carapace is a subdermal implant that astartes use to interface with their suit sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I realize this is somewhat covered in the OP, and that there's been the whole Age of Sigmar change to mix things up, but are there any especially decent Warhammer Fantasy books/short stories anyone would recommend? I'm following the standard guidance that anything Dan Abnett is going to be pretty good.