Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Caleb got a mulligan for dying last season but there's absolutely no reason to bring him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Making a new tribe start over with nothing and supposedly minimal food is bs. I get unknown tribe swaps to mix up and randomize the game a little, but just putting a subset of people at a strict disadvantage seems unfair. Now if as part of the creation of the new tribe they took everything away from everybody.....

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Baddog posted:

Making a new tribe start over with nothing and supposedly minimal food is bs. I get unknown tribe swaps to mix up and randomize the game a little, but just putting a subset of people at a strict disadvantage seems unfair. Now if as part of the creation of the new tribe they took everything away from everybody.....

They have chives now, they'll be fine.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
A shame Caleb got sent out due to a tribe change, but that's just how it happens some times. I'm fairly sure he has a strong shot at a Big Brother All Stars season now that he has even more CBS reality screentime on his resume.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Put Caleb and Tai on an Amazing Race season

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Put Mark the Chicken and Tai on an Amazing Race season

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Who are you kidding? No way Mark has survived on that island without anything to protect it. Some snake probably ate that chicken already.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Who are you kidding? No way Mark has survived on that island without anything to protect it. Some snake probably ate that chicken already.

Shhhh

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
mark dead, so what

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I really dislike the 2 tribes to 3 tribes swaps that have been happening so often recently. The tribe that ends up having to start anew gets completely hosed over, and it reduces interesting tribe dynamics to "that person wasn't on our original tribe that we had for 2 days, GET THEM!!!" pagongings for the subsequent 5 or 6 boots.

I generally dislike tribe swaps for the randomness they introduce (at least do it in a way that is less random and less likely to end up with unbalanced teams, like each pick has to subsequently pick someone from the other initial tribe), but the 2 to 3 has got to be the worst swap dynamic.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Arcanen posted:

I really dislike the 2 tribes to 3 tribes swaps that have been happening so often recently. The tribe that ends up having to start anew gets completely hosed over, and it reduces interesting tribe dynamics to "that person wasn't on our original tribe that we had for 2 days, GET THEM!!!" pagongings for the subsequent 5 or 6 boots.

I generally dislike tribe swaps for the randomness they introduce (at least do it in a way that is less random and less likely to end up with unbalanced teams, like each pick has to subsequently pick someone from the other initial tribe), but the 2 to 3 has got to be the worst swap dynamic.

I completely agree. Every time they do it, people get voted out for dumb reasons

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How was this a stupid vote reason?

Debbie, Tai, and Caleb were all from the same season. If Brad joins them to vote out Hali, a Kaoh Rong alliance has a majority on that tribe. Caleb already has Malcolm and Jeff as allies. We didn't see him tell Tai this, but if they're as close as they say then Tai knew about them and Tai is never one to keep secrets.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

How was this a stupid vote reason?

Debbie, Tai, and Caleb were all from the same season. If Brad joins them to vote out Hali, a Kaoh Rong alliance has a majority on that tribe. Caleb already has Malcolm and Jeff as allies. We didn't see him tell Tai this, but if they're as close as they say then Tai knew about them and Tai is never one to keep secrets.

Tai specifically asked him who he was close with and Caleb said Malcolm and Jeff. Tai knew he had an alliance elsewhere. I'd bet that was a big reason why Tai caved on letting Caleb go.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

xbilkis posted:

Does Brad's conversation with Tai in this episode make him look like a surprisingly good player, or does it retroactively make Aubry's game in Kaoh Rong less impressive because manipulating Tai maybe isn't that hard

maybe a bit of both? i dunno. wording it as "keeping him will be dangerous to your game going forward" is an interesting way of wording it that i never really considered so i'll give him credit for that at least.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like having three tribes but I think it works better if they're in three tribes from the beginning, then swap to two, then merge. I think it makes for more interesting dynamics and you don't gently caress the newest tribe over by making them build everything up again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Brad is looking great this season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, Brad might be our Parvati. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Arcanen posted:

That does happen sometimes but remember last season ( MvGX) where each of the new three tribes went to tribal council once and each time a member of the majority was voted out?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

Wigler: I want to ask you about something from the pre-game. You were pretty salty about Sandra going into the game. I know you have changed your opinion since then; you said so on Twitter, that you have a lot more respect for Sandra now than you did from before the game. When did that shift happen for you?

Caleb: This is what happened before the game. The only thing I knew in my mind… I did go back and watch one of her seasons. Sandra seemed like a strong player, but she did it in a way that’s almost hard to recognize. What did she do? She’s nice to everybody and she does a lot around camp, but what the heck does she do behind the scenes that got her all the way to the end? It’s not like she won any individual immunity challenges, so what was she doing? She’s not being a big asset to the team as far as winning challenges. So what, socially, is she doing? But in all honesty, there was a person from before the game — I don’t want to say any names, but I’m sure people can probably figure it out — I’m not going to say names on it. They basically painted Sandra out to be the devil: “She has to go. She’s this. She’s that. She’s going to come after you. Blah, blah, blah.” Almost a twice a week deal where I would have a counseling session on why I should get Sandra out. It seemed like this person maybe had a personal vendetta against Sandra. I talked to this person so much before the game, that this is who I wanted to go home. It was almost like they wanted her gone, so she wouldn’t get to play the game — and it wasn’t me. So just like I said in my tweet, I was completely wrong about who Sandra is. Sandra is nice. She’s bright. She’s fun. She’s a good player. She deserved to be there. Everything I said going in, I don’t say now. She has my respect. She was very respectful on the island, very nice and sweet. It’s one of those game plays that makes you wonder… how does a woman like that get to the end? She’s just so nice.

Looks like Caleb wised up to Russell at least (he was regularly talking to him for advice before the game).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, Brad might be our Parvati. I'm pleasantly surprised.

*Extremely Marissa Peterson voice* "THANK YOU, BRAD CULPEPPER" ???

But yeah, he's doing pretty well now. Good for him!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I always enjoy watching someone actively learn from their previous mistakes instead of hoping the same game will work for them on a repeat.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Funny 115 guy just put out an article about Brad Culpepper, and the bad undeserved reputation he got from BvW. http://funny115.com/v3/84.htm

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fallen One posted:

That does happen sometimes but remember last season ( MvGX) where each of the new three tribes went to tribal council once and each time a member of the majority was voted out?
Pretty sure this is the first time someone from the minority tribe has ever been voted out in a 2 tribes to 3 scenario. Stephen and Jeremy voted out Monica Padilla. PG, Varner, Abi Maria, and Woo voted out PG and Varner. And like you note in MvX Jay and Will voted out Michaela. David and Chris voted out CeCe. And Adam voted out Figgy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels too early to really judge Culpepper since he hasn't really had to do much except choose between the two easy votes in his one Tribal. But I guess at least he didn't go full alpha douche this time and seems to be focused on social game so he definitely could have learned from the first time.

Which would be kind of sad because I remember loving calling Culpepper "Mr. Magoo" stumbling about.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

His intuition to get Tai to feel like he arrived at that conclusion all on his own was pretty spot on.

But from a meta standpoint, unless it's a repeat of KR, Brad got fairly little time in the spotlight for the premiere that I doubt he makes it all the way, though it seems like he'll go further this time.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 17, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, no, he did the right thing with Tai. I think I said it before but I thought he was a little clumsy with it, but it was the right instinct for sure.

But my memory of Culpepper is that he wasn't some massive rear end in a top hat or anything but that he was just a big dumb jock who would have hints of strategic thought and then do something dumb to trip over his own feet. I just don't think he's had a chance to trip up yet.

But he seems to be off to the right start.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Read that 115 article. Mario went out of his way to redeem that reputation Culpepper got. He definitely isn't the smartest tool in the shed, but he's a pleasant guy all around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just finished that 115 article and it was good but I kind of left it wondering if Mario is a Florida football fan. That was just a VERY passionate defense of Culpepper.

I suppose I'd have to rewatch to really object to it being unnecessarily glowing but my impression was he was KIND of a douche to the women although probably not intentionally and probably mostly because he had spent his life in locker rooms and immediately defaulted to uniting all the guys against the women.

Like I said, I loved calling him "Magoo" because I thought he was more of a buffoon than a true villain.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It's weird enough that people say this constantly now for some reason, but to actually type it is bizarre.

New season good. Sandra still best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I just type in a kind of stream of consciousness/conversational way? Like keeping that "kind of" in there even though its one of those words/phrases they tell you makes you sound stupid. But its the way I would have said it so there you go.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Max posted:

The Funny 115 guy just put out an article about Brad Culpepper, and the bad undeserved reputation he got from BvW. http://funny115.com/v3/84.htm

This is a good read.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Big Taint posted:

It's weird enough that people say this constantly now for some reason, but to actually type it is bizarre.
My favorite thing like this is that at some point instead of saying "that's true" someone said "this is true," for some reason I don't know, and it was so amazingly cool that it caught on I guess because everyone's still saying it year after year

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 18, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Not really, it has a slightly different connotative purpose than just saying yeah or no does.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

My favorite thing like this is that at some point instead of saying "that's true" someone said "this is true," for some reason I don't know, and it was so amazingly cool that it caught on I guess because they're still saying it year after year

This is true.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

My favorite thing like this is that at some point instead of saying "that's true" someone said "this is true," for some reason I don't know, and it was so amazingly cool that it caught on I guess because everyone's still saying it year after year

My (least) favorite is the verb "Toast" changing to "Cheers" in the context of clinking your glasses together at a party then taking a drink of them.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When was the last time they read final tribal votes at the filming site? Tocantins?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

When was the last time they read final tribal votes at the filming site? Tocantins?

I thought they hadn't done that since the first season. They pretended to do it in Africa and Thailand, I believe.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
One thing I always wondered:

In HvV Russell gave confessionals about how he lost Samoa and wasnt going to repeat those mistakes again (lol). How the he'll did he know he lost when the Samoa finale hadn't aired yet?

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
Holy poo poo, I almost forgot how tedious those funny115 articles are until I read that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Watching some of the old seasons of Survivor, it would be almost nice to have a throwback season. The difference is just so drastic, like to the point of having everybody wear life jackets when jumping off the boat at the beginning, to the more random immunity challenges.

Like, just find 18 people that have never watched or heard of Survivor and throw them into the game.

• Locked thread