Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

You guys are all having fun with LW2 and I'm over here still getting the poo poo kicked out of me on vanilla just on Veteran difficulty, and I used to play Ironman Classic on autopilot back in EW. God drat did they ramp it up for XCOM 2.

Plot is cool though! As are the new mechanics, the geoscape is slightly deeper than a puddle this time.

Wait until you try LW2. The Geoscape/strat layer is deeper than the Mariana trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Apoplexy posted:

Wait until you try LW2. The Geoscape/strat layer is deeper than the Mariana trench.

And roughly as opaque and hostile to human life.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
like I'm getting loving murdered because it's taking forever to get plasma and whatever the tier 3 armor is called in this game and the aliens aren't waiting around for my inexperienced rear end to ferret through the tech tree

and I haven't even run into whatever the hell an Andromedon is and everybody says that the first time you run into one of those guys on a blind playthrough you utterly get your poo poo pushed in (pls no spoilers)

still judging by context i'm guessing they're a "bro you really should have psionics by now" check like muton elites were in EU/EW.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Zore posted:

And roughly as opaque and hostile to human life.

Agreed, but if you put hundreds of hours into it, you get the hang of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

still judging by context i'm guessing they're a "bro you really should have psionics by now" check like muton elites were in EU/EW.
Nah, I'm pretty sure I did what I did in EW and just left psi til last and it was fine on cmdr.

Apoplexy posted:

Agreed, but if you put hundreds of hours into it, you get the hang of it.
Oh good, only hundreds more to go. :v:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It's why I love it!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sapozhnik posted:

like I'm getting loving murdered because it's taking forever to get plasma and whatever the tier 3 armor is called in this game and the aliens aren't waiting around for my inexperienced rear end to ferret through the tech tree

and I haven't even run into whatever the hell an Andromedon is and everybody says that the first time you run into one of those guys on a blind playthrough you utterly get your poo poo pushed in (pls no spoilers)

Nah you can totally wreck anyone and anything with non-psionics in XCOM 2. Psionics are just a giant investment for an utterly overpowered, game breaking unit.

Andromedons though. Ehehehehe...HAHAHAHAHA. Oh my god those are an utterly MAGICAL surprise. One of the best things XCOM 2 does is that other than the Advent forces, who exist to mainly be various flavors of grunts, none of the enemies get a "X but bigger and with more HP". Every single alien type is a new way to dick you over.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Gatekeepers get two options. Dick you over, and really dick you over.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Node posted:

Gatekeepers get two options. Dick you over, and really dick you over.

Nah, third option: Get wrecked.

They're this really weird mix of flesh and machine so somethings do work against them, some things don't. Bluescreen grenades/ammo works very, very well against them

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I had a Defend the Transmitter mission which had a Gatekeeper spawned next to the thing. So I hurried the gently caress over there, activating two pods in my way, and flashbanged him. It was my downfall. It couldn't use psi storm, it couldn't reliably hit any of my squad, so it shot at the device. Since you can't miss inanimate objects, the Gatekeeper did like 13 damage to it and destroyed it. I was so pissed.

Never do those missions in late game. That will happen, or a Sectopod will just walk on it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So Julian's doing another xcom it seems, and he's been reading The Mist. Really reminds me of UFO:Aftermath with its gross biological enemies and the fog replacing the creeping death of the biomass.

And then theres machinegun crab. :allears:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
lol critted by an on-fire, disoriented viper while on higher ground than him

I'm not sure I'm cut out for ironman.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Running up on what the game informs me is the final mission of EW. It's ironman, so I gotta ask, how hosed am I?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Leyburn posted:

Are you playing vanilla unmodded? Lowering a aliens aim actually has the artifact of making them almost certainly crit when they do land a hit. Look it up, and cry a bit. I'm actually using the EU/EW aim rolls mod just to remove that bullshit. It's slightly player-favoring, since the AI is far more likely to take a 25% shot, but even during my first playthrough I noticed I could abuse that 'feature'; shotgunning ppl from long range will either miss, or crit for 18 dmg. loving Hell, Jake!

^^^^edit: The EW final mission is actually totally fine, it's a slightly longer mission with a harder dude at the end. Your A-team should roll it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Somewhat hosed if you're going in blind, but eh if you survived the hq invasion on a blind run then you should be ok. Foreknowledge of how it goes down makes the mission much easier though.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Serephina posted:

Are you playing vanilla unmodded? Lowering a aliens aim actually has the artifact of making them almost certainly crit when they do land a hit. Look it up, and cry a bit.

Hmmm, that's hosed up. Yeah playing on the PS4. It was just a scrub squaddie sharpshooter straight outta the GTS so I'm not gonna shed too many tears over it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Leyburn posted:

Higher ground also doesn't affect aim in xcom2 if I recall correctly.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It does in LW2 at least.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MF_James posted:

There's definitely a line item for it in the aim breakdown...?

I don't know if there's a corresponding bonus to defense, but it seems like a very arbitrary thing to leave out if there isn't one.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MF_James posted:

You get a bonus to aim when you're on higher ground, but not a bonus to defense.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Zoran posted:

You get a bonus to aim when you're on higher ground, but not a bonus to defense.

Really? Well that's good to know.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think EW gave a defensive bonus, high ground back then was pretty swole. In XCOM2 high ground is less strong; you still get the aim bonus, but will almost never be under high cover as a tradeoff

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah high ground in xcom2 is a loving trap unless you can wipe every enemy on your turn AND provided you don't activate a second pod and get shot at, or worse, grenaded.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Serephina posted:

I think EW gave a defensive bonus, high ground back then was pretty swole. In XCOM2 high ground is less strong; you still get the aim bonus, but will almost never be under high cover as a tradeoff

There were sniper perks since you almost always wanted them on higher ground for the aim bonus and sightlines. However in both games they made the trade off that higher ground meant vastly reduced full cover, rooftops are especially bad for it. The best you'll usually get is houses with 2 floors where you can put a dude near a window and get the cover from the wall, or inexplicable rocks from cliffs near spawn.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Thyrork posted:

So Julian's doing another xcom it seems, and he's been reading The Mist. Really reminds me of UFO:Aftermath with its gross biological enemies and the fog replacing the creeping death of the biomass.

There's been zero information on this game since it was announced, and to be honest the ideas behind it sound pretty far-fetched with regards to procedurally generating enemies on top of levels. That sounds really hard to make consistently fun unless the proc gen is in name only and the actual pool of enemy parts is really small. It's a shame, the art is great, but I'm not really holding out hope that this is going to see the light of day at this point.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Thyrork posted:

That sounds... incredibly over-optimistic. Like, maybe I've just become a jaded gamer, but I'm skeptical any studio on Earth could deliver even half of what he's promising. If it works out it will be glorious, but I'm expecting what we actually get to be basically "XCOM with mix and match alien parts."

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah that article said that only a rough version of the geoscape had been implemented. A battlescape that implements evolving enemies seems like it would be a little challenging. Spore and No Man's Sky promised this sort of thing and neither of them lived up to the hype.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh absolutely. I expect it will see the light of day and enemies probably just "a body part is different" on this one and "this one has different textured carapace, it must resist explosions!" but a crab man will be a crab man regardless.

Still, it looks wonderful and it's a pretty neat aesthetic choice for the setting.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Blind encounter with Andromedon trip report: didn't even take a scratch :smug:

I even overwatched for a couple turns to make sure it didn't come back to life a second time

could have done that a lot more efficiently too since my assumption was that it was going to cause a gigantic AoE explosion on death

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Despite the advice given here, and watching various videos, I'm still having trouble with LW2. I'd like to ask for help one more time, otherwise I'll just have to say it beat me. I'm playing on Veteran, and I found Commander in regular xcom too easy. It is September. My home region is liberated, and I have made contact with three additional regions. Two of those regions only have two resistance personnel. I cannot get those havens back up to decent strength. If I set them to Intel, I only get missions with very low infiltration timers, making them impossible. If I set them to recruit, the amount of people they get is terrible, and ADVENT strength builds up, which will probably mean they will get a retaliation mission anyways. I have laser weapons, predator armor, and various other upgrades. The Avatar project has one more square away from being completed, and there is not a nearby facility - the best thing I can do is try the black site mission to lower it, but that is two regions away. That would cost way more Intel than I have. It's pretty much guaranteed I lose at this point.

If I restart, what should I be doing ASAP? Facility build order, research order, which missions to take or not to take? And how do you build up havens so they can staff 13 rebels? What other words of magical advice can you give me?

Love,
Node

Node fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 18, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Restart because, honestly, getting a resistance haven bootstrapped up from 2 resisties is going to take FOREVER.

Facility build order, for me, goes GTS from the first day, immediately fly over to the Black Market and scan it out and get an Engie and Sci. AWC next, Proving Grounds afterwards if I manage to somehow get an Avenger Power PoI. If not, just sit on the GTS+AWC until late April, then start doing your standard thing (Power Relay -> Proving Ground, Engineer in Power Relay -> Resisty Comms, workshop optional but helpful if you can stick all 4 of them in a cross shape together). Laboratory should only be built upon one of the elerium power coils. I do that the second I get one opened up. In my current game, it's May and I'm just now getting everything done there, so don't worry if it takes you a while to get up to having resistance comms and a lab.

Research Order: RESISTANCE RADIO FIRST!! Then Modular Weapons just cuz it's fast, then Alien Biotech -> Trooper Autopsy -> Boil down a trooper corpse -> Hybrid Materials -> Lasers. By the time you get to the Laser research, you should've acquired at least an elerium core from loot in a mission and you can boil that down. Buy Alien Alloys from the Black Market because boiling down corpses one at a time sucks and research is important. First thing you should do once Resistance Radio is done? Contact the two regions connected to your starting one. There is absolutely no reason to limit yourself to one region. The 6ish resisties you get from each initial haven are more than enough to provide you with decently-intelled missions alternating with supplies. I posted an enormous amount of stuff when you were first starting LW2, the advice there should still be relevant, too.

PS GOBLIN SHREDDER RUSH~

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, on missions you should take: Intel Package ones for Points of Interest, they can really pay off in free Engineers, Scientists, and Resistance Comms/Avenger Power. Anything Extract VIP From Cell or Jailbreak. You can Shinobi those, most likely, if you want to or can't send a full squad. Basically anything with 5 days remaining, try to do. Havens will SLOWLY accumulate a person or two over a few months when you have a soldier liaising. So always have that. Jailbreaks should be where you get your resisties, not Recruit job. Recruit is just too loving slow unless you're later in the game and are managing 10 regions at once.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I haven't been able to do a shinobi anything, because once they hack the door, they are revealed and get shot by a million aliens. And I don't know how you're supposed to get havens back up to strength, if recruit is worthless, then intel may be just as well since the missions they give you are as low as 1-4 days.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 18, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Aha, gotcha. Well, firstly, extremely light missions only for a Shinobi. 100% infiltration or so and they'll be vulnerable and won't be camping the objective directly. If they end up being there, they should be patrolling and you can just wait 'em out, sneak in behind them when they are patrolling away, and extract through the other door in whichever building. You can also just take 3 or Shinobi together; if you encounter a pod that needs killing, it'll probably be a pod of 3 on extremely light, so you can just send one Shinobi flecheing at each one and pray only one, max, survives the turn.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I've 'graduated' to the Long War( for Enemy Within, 1.0), and holy poo poo it's brutal.

Is there some sort of general beginners guide I can scoop out? I got a lot of questions.

E: sheeit, outsiders got back

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 18, 2017

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Does anyone know how ranking up affects how good a liaison is at recruiting?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Just did a 0% supply raid with mostly squaddies. Activated on turn 2, triggered 24 out of 38 enemies. Next turn triggered another 8.

That was brutal but the most fun I've had in a long time.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

wolfman101 posted:

Does anyone know how ranking up affects how good a liaison is at recruiting?

It seems to be based on the same flat multiplier bonus system Engineers and Scientists are based on. 15% for Recruiting for a Soldier of any rank, while my version is 25% for Eng/Sci, I think it's 20% base but I forget.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's been zero information on this game since it was announced, and to be honest the ideas behind it sound pretty far-fetched with regards to procedurally generating enemies on top of levels. That sounds really hard to make consistently fun unless the proc gen is in name only and the actual pool of enemy parts is really small. It's a shame, the art is great, but I'm not really holding out hope that this is going to see the light of day at this point.

yeah the article says it's due out second half of 2018, which is far enough off that i'm well into :rolleyes: territory

i love the gently caress out of gollop but i know better than to have hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sapozhnik posted:

Blind encounter with Andromedon trip report: didn't even take a scratch :smug:

I even overwatched for a couple turns to make sure it didn't come back to life a second time

could have done that a lot more efficiently too since my assumption was that it was going to cause a gigantic AoE explosion on death

A thing you should know: if you kill an andromedon (stage 1) on the alien turn via overwatch, it will get a free turn in stage 2. This is especially irritating in overwatch traps from concealment, since you execute everything to plan only for what I assume isn't a glitch in the game to stomp over and punch you.

Fortunately, stage 2 andromedons are pretty lovely.