Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Unmature posted:

They do that every once in a while, usually the non-Marvel Studios film. I think one of the Hulk movies even turns it green with the panels maybe.

I wanna say they do it more often than not even. Except now that Marvel has that awful new logo of the previous MCU films. But stuff like First Avenger had Cap panels.

I look forward to it every movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
There's a Marvel Sandman and a DC Sandman and a DC Scarecrow and a Marvel Scarecrow. I just thought of those two off the top of my (very drunk) head, what other characters with the same name are in both Marvel and DC?

Captain Marvel I think doesn't count anymore since I think the DC one goes by "Shazam" unless I'm mistaken.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pat Mustard posted:

There's a Marvel Sandman and a DC Sandman and a DC Scarecrow and a Marvel Scarecrow. I just thought of those two off the top of my (very drunk) head, what other characters with the same name are in both Marvel and DC?

Captain Marvel I think doesn't count anymore since I think the DC one goes by "Shazam" unless I'm mistaken.

Marvel also has a Batman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DC has a copperhead, Marvel has 3 completely different ones, including a guy who's head is made of copper.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DC and Marvel both have Enchantresses.

DC also had a Spider Girl -- she was one of the Legion rejects and occasionally showed up now and then.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I doubt anyone cares but reading the 80s X-men chronologically, as soon as Chris Claremont leaves New Mutants, the new writer (Louise Jones) immediately tries to turn Empath. a Hellion with the power to controls emotions who is basically Grant Morrison's Emma Frost but a 14 year old boy who walks into the women's locker room to harass the female members, into a good guy who Magma is so in love with she drops the x-men to work with Emma Frost.

The book is continually saying that Magma's emotions of love are natural but are being emphasized when she's around him. Like in the Chris Claremont stories Empath was an absolute poo poo who snuck into the the X-mansion and made the Nurse staff (The guys that got turned into Red Indians in Demon bear) run off and join a hedonist leather bar orgy for a week.

In these situations is it best to pin this on the writer? The editors Ann Nocenti and Tom Defalco?

It's just the worst.

Also comicvine says Louise Jones married the creator of Power Pack at some point. It all comes back to power pack

It's been a while since I've read through New Mutants but I remember it being implied that Empath was either consciously or unconsciously manipulating Amara into falling for him. Except then they show up later in a fill-in written by Claremont where Amara meets Hercules, and I don't think he got the memo about that.

It would be a bigger deal probably if anybody gave a poo poo about Amara. I barely remember anything about her except for the time she met Hercules and then she got crucified in the first issue of X-men I ever bought. Thanks, Chuck Austen!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pat Mustard posted:

Both have a Guardian

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't both Marvel and DC have a Hercules?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Don't both Marvel and DC have a Hercules?

Yes but there's also like 12 other comic book Hercules' out there. Kind of hard to trademark a dude who's existed in fiction for 1000 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah stuff like mythological figures and real life people shouldn't count.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pat Mustard posted:

There's a Marvel Sandman and a DC Sandman and a DC Scarecrow and a Marvel Scarecrow.

There's at least two DC Sandmen.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Alhazred posted:

There's at least two DC Sandmen.

Three that I know of. Original, Kirby-flavored, and Morpheus.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yes but there's also like 12 other comic book Hercules' out there. Kind of hard to trademark a dude who's existed in fiction for 1000 years.

Has Thor ever appeared in a DC comic?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Super Dan posted:

Depends if you consider Sandman to be a DC title or not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Super Dan posted:

Apparently: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Thor_(New_Earth)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Walt Simonson introduced a Third during his run on Fourth World.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's Thors all the way down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Three that I know of. Original, Kirby-flavored, and Morpheus.

And Daniel.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Not the same thing, but there's that Young Justice version of Black Spider who is basically Evil Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Selachian posted:

DC and Marvel both have Enchantresses.

DC also had a Spider Girl -- she was one of the Legion rejects and occasionally showed up now and then.

Spider Woman. I only remember this because Bendis was still writing Jessica Drew on the Avengers. Don't know if it was supposed to be a dig or what.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Not a character but a title - Dr. Fate is the Sorcerer Supreme of DC (according to Young Justice, at least).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

food court bailiff posted:

Not a character but a title - Dr. Fate is the Sorcerer Supreme of DC (according to Young Justice, at least).

That was PAD takin the piss though, not an official title in the DCU.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know who or what PAD is, I just thought it was funny at the time.

Also whatever episode that was had Klarion, and he's The Best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

food court bailiff posted:

I don't know who or what PAD is, I just thought it was funny at the time.

Also whatever episode that was had Klarion, and he's The Best.

It's Peter David's internet handle.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Both Marvel and DC have Dracula and Frankenstein's monster. They are different in a number of ways.

Aximus
Aug 18, 2010
I'm trying to find the name of a graphic novel I read about a couple years ago, I believe it's a stand alone, where I think the main character is a FBI agent who's investigating gang activity in a city where they've all gone silent for some reason. Eventually two cops are killed and all the people who are investigating the scene end up ambushed and killed by gang members. It turns out the world's next alexander the great is a teenage girl from the hood and he's united all the gangs and separates her neighborhood from the United States. Has anyone heard of this series? My googlefu has failed me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aximus posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a graphic novel I read about a couple years ago, I believe it's a stand alone, where I think the main character is a FBI agent who's investigating gang activity in a city where they've all gone silent for some reason. Eventually two cops are killed and all the people who are investigating the scene end up ambushed and killed by gang members. It turns out the world's next alexander the great is a teenage girl from the hood and he's united all the gangs and separates her neighborhood from the United States. Has anyone heard of this series? My googlefu has failed me.

Genius

Aximus
Aug 18, 2010
That's the one, thank you.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

It's Peter David's internet handle.

And his initials.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember back in the day PAD used to participate (or at least read) at least one of the comics newsgroups but I can't remember which.

e: I guess the question is which one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember back in the day PAD used to participate (or at least read) at least one of the comics newsgroups but I can't remember which.

e: I guess the question is which one?

He was active on the Delphi groups as well as the AOL Marvel and DC chatrooms. Up until I stopped using AIM he was still an active user on that as well.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

In the late 90s there was a mass e-mail service called Onelist that had a lot of different fandom mailing lists. Peter was writing the New Frontier novels at the time and he was active on at least two of the Star Trek fanlists as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

He was active on the Delphi groups as well as the AOL Marvel and DC chatrooms. Up until I stopped using AIM he was still an active user on that as well.

Yeah I don't know what those are. I'm thinking alt.comics.something or maybe it was rec.arts.comics :shrug:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Has there been more than one Foolkiller, or has the character just radically changed over the years? Because I'm reading Gerber's Man-Thing comics on MU and this Foolkiller doesn't seem to be even remotely the dame character current Foolkiller is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Has there been more than one Foolkiller, or has the character just radically changed over the years? Because I'm reading Gerber's Man-Thing comics on MU and this Foolkiller doesn't seem to be even remotely the dame character current Foolkiller is.

There's been several Foolkillers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There being multiple foolkillers was in fact a plot point in this run

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is Magneto's weird kinda clone Joseph still alive? I feel like he showed up in a mini-series that I could not force myself to finish reading a couple years back. Did they kill him off there?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Is Magneto's weird kinda clone Joseph still alive? I feel like he showed up in a mini-series that I could not force myself to finish reading a couple years back. Did they kill him off there?

Oh wow I know the exact mini you're talking about but I also can't remember the ending. I think Magneto kills him? It's called Magneto: Not A Hero, IIRC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I gave it a shot because Magneto as an outright anti-hero instead of a villain with some redemptive traits is a really compelling concept, but man was it boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If I was just trying to get a hold of simple reprints of Conan the Barbarain 23 & 24 (Red Sonja's first appearances) (which are not surprisingly very expensive), where could I find them?