Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

My wild theory is that HR ends up becoming Savitar somehow. He and Savitar both call him "Wallace", Savitar is obviously one of the present crew, and well, HR is just so positive and upbeat all the time, and up until recently he took a lot of poo poo from Cisco and the others over being useless. I think it would be an interesting story beat for him to fail again, this time doing something concerning the speed force, and somehow get stuck in speedjail. It would explain his massive hate for the others, especially if there was some way for him to blame them for it, and he's got the extreme personality that could turn from super-optimistic to super-negative given the right circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Savitar is E4 Tommy.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar is Iris, mad that Barry dumped her like an idiot, after getting her fiance killed and erasing their relationship from the timeline like 3 times and lying to her a million times.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Barry could get Jay out right now by resolving to never build the eternal hellscape he's trapped in. That future-Barry still builds the prison knowing that innocent people get tortured in it proves how much of a sociopath Barry is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In the future Barry screws up and gives Oliver meta powers. Oliver gets mad and becomes enemies with Barry. Barry locks Oliver away in the Speed Force and manages to lose his powers and gets sent back in time. Oliver becomes Savitar and Barry becomes Vigilante. Captain Lance nails the Speed Force

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 16, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar is Jessie, for some reason, and Wells couldn't snipe her from the rooftops because that was probably her father and not HG, since he is also Savitar.

It all makes perfect sense.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I hope it's some rando Indian guy that Barry bumped into at Jitters one time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Savitar is the one man who hates good comic book shows more than anyone: Ike Perlmutter.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For real though, Savitar is actually three smaller speedsters in a trenchcoat.

Villains for Seasons 4 5 and 6 confirmed baby.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Savitar is Mas y Menos from an erased timeline where a live action Teen Titans show was a real thing.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Phenotype posted:

My wild theory is that HR ends up becoming Savitar somehow. He and Savitar both call him "Wallace", Savitar is obviously one of the present crew, and well, HR is just so positive and upbeat all the time, and up until recently he took a lot of poo poo from Cisco and the others over being useless. I think it would be an interesting story beat for him to fail again, this time doing something concerning the speed force, and somehow get stuck in speedjail. It would explain his massive hate for the others, especially if there was some way for him to blame them for it, and he's got the extreme personality that could turn from super-optimistic to super-negative given the right circumstances.

Well we do need a new HR for next season. How else can we get rid of this one?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
okay so yeah literally none of that made sense

why was the speed force punishing him for something he hadn't done yet and could still undo

why did Jay have to take his place

why did the guy who moves so fast Barry can't see him get stabbed in the shoulder like a chump

why did barry have to break up with iris

why

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Speed Force just this once you're gonna have to explain some poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

We are all eternally angry at Barry. We are all Savitar

Savitar is just a man. But the suit is a symbol. A symbol of our hate for Barry

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 16, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

okay so yeah literally none of that made sense

Speed Force just this once you're gonna have to explain some poo poo

*cracks knuckles*

quote:

why was the speed force punishing him for something he hadn't done yet and could still undo
The speed force is apparently timeless. When he went in the first time because he gave up his speed the speed force was like "Why did you give up your gift rear end in a top hat" and he's like "I did it to save lives" and the speed force is like "That's not what I'm talking about" supposedly referring to being a huge dick and resetting the timeline and causing flashpoint after that episode. Which in the last episode speedforce said it knew he would do, and what would happen but it let him do it anyway to teach him a lesson.

They seem like jerks that know the future and would rather be smug about the flash's mistakes instead of resolving them. Which checks out since anyone involved with the speedforce is a stupid rear end in a top hat.

quote:

why did Jay have to take his place
I think the technobabble reason, is that however Barry even created an eternal torture prison, it's specifics seem to be eternal torture through reliving your worst moment and requires that a speedster be present for it to exist. So he would have created it with Savitar in the future, but since the speedforce is timeless future Savitar can throw past wally into it to be a dick. Then the Flash intends to put Savitar back in it so he needs it to still exist while trying to defeat Savitar.

That kinda falls apart a little since Barry was going to throw himself in there. What exactly was his plan there?

quote:

why did the guy who moves so fast Barry can't see him get stabbed in the shoulder like a chump
The same reason Barry gets punched in the face every 20 minutes. The speedforce draws electricity directly from your brain or something making you stupid as gently caress.

quote:

why did barry have to break up with iris
The brain thing and The Flash is on the CW network. All shows have relationship drama no matter what. They could finance a nature documentary about artic polar bears and most of the budget would be to throw hot 20 somethings on the expedition team with a ratio of 2 girls for every guy.

There is no show explanation other than he is a stupid rear end in a top hat that makes bad decisions constantly for no reason.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

To be fair, I think if Barry and the Speedforce ever get along, he will disappear into and become one with it or something stupid.

It's just weird and nebulous and defined as whatever is convenient.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I am one of the most forgiving people on these forums when it comes to "poo poo not making sense". I can forgive basically all the Speed Force stuff, Jesse going after and clowning the guy who was previously too fast for other speedsters to see, all the "changing your outfit in the future changes the future" zany scheming. But Barry breaking up with Iris is just the dumbest poo poo ever. "I love you and you love me and this might be your last month alive but the fact that I loved you so much I tried to save you means we should break up." Just really blatant "Mandatory End of Season 3 Act 2 Relationship Drama Quota" writing right there.

Really looking forward to the musical episode next week, should inject some lighthearted fun into this show about a guy who runs faster than light and fights wacky villains. Sigh.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iris should just move to Star City. The Arrow team could actually use an investigative journalist. She would have a reason to exist in the plot beyond being a love interest.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Iris should just move to Star City. The Arrow team could actually use an investigative journalist. She would have a reason to exist in the plot beyond being a love interest.

Be careful what you wish for because CW writers would make Curtis have a 5 episode arc discovering he is actually bisexual and not gay and then Iris becomes his love interest since his husband divorced him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Speedforce appears to be the same reality as the one where the wormhole aliens on DS9 live.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Space Crabs posted:

Be careful what you wish for because CW writers would make Curtis have a 5 episode arc discovering he is actually bisexual and not gay and then Iris becomes his love interest since his husband divorced him.

Move her to legends

Captain Lance must be appeased

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Space Crabs posted:

*cracks knuckles*

SPEEEEEEEED FORRRRRRRRRRRRCE

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, the show is scraping the bottom of the barrel again. That didn't take long...

Super happy about Barry and Iris "taking a break" though. It's the light at the end of the tunnel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I got it.

Iris is going to ask Wally to create the time remnant of herself. They'll then flip a coin and the loser stays in the public eye to be killed by Savitar. The winner pops out as soon as Barry rage-kills Savvy in the finale.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
All that talk about Eddie and Ronnie coming back and that's what we got. I hope Jay is Savitar and he's just pissed cuz Barry never came back.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
What will the contrivance be for them not asking the Earth-38 crew to help out after they've dealt with Music Meister next week.

Someone who is almost as fast as a speedster but significantly stronger and more durable might be useful. And if they want to know who Saviatar is, the psychic martian could probably help with that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Super happy about Barry and Iris "taking a break" though. It's the light at the end of the tunnel.

Why? I get you don't like the relationship but it's 100% going to happen, these are all just dumb story contrivances to manufacture drama. I'd personally rather have them be together and chill instead of trying to pretend "maybe they won't get together *wink**wink*".

--

I also had a thought when I was falling asleep last night and have a new theory about the finale which would retroactively make this episode better for me. It's all about sacrifice (Eddie, Ronnie and Snart) and not letting others take your burden etc. I think it's going to lead up to Barry sacrificing himself to save Iris, and that's why he chose to break up with her, because he's made up his mind that he is going to do that. Then that will be the big season cliffhanger until he is resurrected somehow within the first few episodes of next season.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Why? I get you don't like the relationship but it's 100% going to happen, these are all just dumb story contrivances to manufacture drama. I'd personally rather have them be together and chill instead of trying to pretend "maybe they won't get together *wink**wink*".

Because Gustin and Patton have terrible chemistry, and their relationship turns Iris into "Flash's girlfriend/wife" instead of her own strong and capable character.

I think one reason it worked so well with Patty and Park is that they were side characters that Barry was dating, and they had their own lives and careers that they were both really good at. Iris though is kind of a nobody when it comes to her professional life. She's supposed to be a blogger/investigative journalist but that part of her life has not been mentioned at all this season, much less actually used to meaningfully advance the plot, and it's very jarring. Think about it: everyone on Team Flash contributes something meaningful. Caitlin is the doctor/biochemist. Cisco is the physicist/engineer. Joe is the badass cop. Julian is the top-notch forensic scientist/metahuman expert. Wally is Kid Flash. Even Wells, who plays the role of comic relief this season, has suggested brilliant solutions to problems that stumped everyone else (and busts his rear end off otherwise to add value).

Iris though? She provides occasional morale support to Barry. And she blogs, sometimes. Okay... :raise:

That's why I think ending her relationship with Barry would allow the character to justify her existence in more meaningful ways.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Linda a lot. She felt really natural, like Barry met a girl and they started dating, like humans do. As opposed to Iris and Patty, who were capital L capital I Love Interests.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Because Gustin and Patton have terrible chemistry, and their relationship turns Iris into "Flash's girlfriend/wife" instead of her own strong and capable character.

I think one reason it worked so well with Patty and Park is that they were side characters that Barry was dating, and they had their own lives and careers that they were both really good at. Iris though is kind of a nobody when it comes to her professional life. She's supposed to be a blogger/investigative journalist but that part of her life has not been mentioned at all this season, much less actually used to meaningfully advance the plot, and it's very jarring. Think about it: everyone on Team Flash contributes something meaningful. Caitlin is the doctor/biochemist. Cisco is the physicist/engineer. Joe is the badass cop. Julian is the top-notch forensic scientist/metahuman expert. Wally is Kid Flash. Even Wells, who plays the role of comic relief this season, has suggested brilliant solutions to problems that stumped everyone else (and busts his rear end off otherwise to add value).

Iris though? She provides occasional morale support to Barry. And she blogs, sometimes. Okay... :raise:

That's why I think ending her relationship with Barry would allow the character to justify her existence in more meaningful ways.

Okay gotcha. I think we want the exact same thing but have different theories on how to get there. I think making her safely Barry's long term SO with no drama is the best way to make her independent (as ironic as that sounds) while breaking them up will make her entire character about "when will they get back together? are they mad at each other? how long will it take for these wounds to heaaalll?" The drama is the key thing they need to get rid of and give her something more useful to do with her screen time.

Also they did do the whole "taking risks for her job since she doesn't think she can die yet" thing with her career which could have been a cool direction to go with her character. It could have easily transitioned from that to "okay I won't be stupid but I still want to make an impact if I am going to die" but instead it went from YOLO to a lot of sitting around waiting for Barry to do stuff.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah I'm really disappointed with how they're writing Iris this season. Season 1 Iris was bogged down by a lot of stupid poo poo revolving around her being constantly in the dark to Barry's identity, but at least she had a life outside of Barry or Eddie. She was a blogger who managed to get a job at the local news, and was one of the first people to believe in Flash as a hero.

Season 2 was arguably the best season for her. No longer bogged down by the identity poo poo, Iris was allowed to grow into a kickass reporter. She even had her own storyline for the first nine episodes, where she reconnects with her mother and tracks down Wally. We saw her a lot at work, she was friends with Linda, had a feud with her new boss (and then a weird half-second romance thing) and still managed to contribute to Team Flash.

Season 3 though she's just been Barry's love interest and has pretty much had all her scenes either with him or with Joe and Wally. They have cute scenes together that are sweet, but what else does she do? And the Savitar plot has effectively damsel'd her the entire season, leaving her life in the hands of Barry and/or Wally. She shows concern for her life being in danger, and has melodramatics discussions in the hallway/apartment with Barry and that's about all she's done in 16 episodes. Hell even WestAllen shippers don't seem very happy about these two being together because of the ridiculous melodrama.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I liked Linda a lot. She felt really natural, like Barry met a girl and they started dating, like humans do. As opposed to Iris and Patty, who were capital L capital I Love Interests.

Linda as Dr. Light was also very good, and I'm sad they haven't brought her back.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

My preference is definitely that they kill off Iris and introduce a totally re-conceived multiverse alternate that gives Candice Patton something to work with.

Nobody said he winds up with *this* Earth's Iris West.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

Send her to National City so she can be a terrible reporter like Kara was and get fired.

Snapper Carr don't take no poo poo.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Xealot posted:

My preference is definitely that they kill off Iris and introduce a totally re-conceived multiverse alternate that gives Candice Patton something to work with.

Nobody said he winds up with *this* Earth's Iris West.

No, just kill her off and we never see her again. Flash gets his memory of her erased so he isn't a moron about her and "mah future!" and everyone (except iris) lives happily ever after.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Space Crabs posted:

That kinda falls apart a little since Barry was going to throw himself in there. What exactly was his plan there?
His plan was "I suffer for eternity, Wally saves Iris, everyone else gets to be happy and I get to be miserable like I deserve because I hate myself."

Guy A. Person posted:

It's all about sacrifice (Eddie, Ronnie and Snart) and not letting others take your burden etc. I think it's going to lead up to Barry sacrificing himself to save Iris, and that's why he chose to break up with her, because he's made up his mind that he is going to do that. Then that will be the big season cliffhanger until he is resurrected somehow within the first few episodes of next season.
I'm guessing he ends up not dying, but I think you're definitely right that that's his plan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
please do not kill off black women on your family television program

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

well so far the only recurring characters that have been killed have been white dudes, so it looks like they're following your advice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
in fact, killing off characters in general is pretty lame and boring, IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Fine, they can put Iris in no-lunch supermax because there's no way savitar can spear her heart in the middle of the town square if she's in there!

• Locked thread