Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pity, really, 'cos fred johnson seems like the only decent major player in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Phi230 posted:

Such a shame they cut the awesome Bobbie vs. Monster battle way earlier. The MCRN had a mech!

Still hoping the full memory appears in a flashback. But it does look like a cut for budget thing.

This show is really, really good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I kinda dismissed it at Fred Johnson slowly self destructing. I seriously thought he'd just die during the coup, but in the long run I doubt it matters what his attitude is anymore. Mormons don't forget. Mormons don't forgive. (not a book reader)

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I just started season 2. I noticed a lot of "As You Know" talk where characters announce what they're doing and why even though everybody knows that stuff already. They wear their motivations on their sleeve.
"I want Mars to be terraformed and am bitter because the last war cost us terraforming and if anybody puts me in a position where I end up being the deciding factor of whether we start a war or not I may just start a war! I'm so angry at earth I feel like I'm gonna explode!"

But that's usually first episode of the season stuff and every show deals with that so I'm glad they got that out of the way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/WatchfulEnchantingGrizzlybear.mp4

Fun fact: The evil Belter barge is named Jefferson Mays, a reference to the narrator of the audiobooks.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 17, 2017

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Saw that airlocking coming a mile a way. Still was pretty shocking though.

This show is kind of uneven in that it has a lot of really good moments and character development and then a lot of ??? moments where the characters don't seem to be acting like themselves at all. Overall it's really well done, but the lack of polish really shows sometimes, like in the final scene with Holden and Fred.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Talorat posted:

Saw that airlocking coming a mile a way. Still was pretty shocking though.

This show is kind of uneven in that it has a lot of really good moments and character development and then a lot of ??? moments where the characters don't seem to be acting like themselves at all. Overall it's really well done, but the lack of polish really shows sometimes, like in the final scene with Holden and Fred.

Mhm same. I didn't realize up until they were walking down the hallway though.

it was actually pretty emotional, Prax's whole introduction. Maybe I'm not as jaded though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I saw it coming, but mostly because of metalogic.

“Why are these characters transferring between ships? That’s boring. There has to be more to it.”

“Why wasn’t there an establishing shot of the other ship? 🤔”

The guy’s delivery confirmed it. “Other ship dock with us. Good ship; help Ganymede.” He couldn’t be more suspicious if he tried.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm a naïve person who would have been herded into an airlock and spaced.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AirborneNinja posted:

I found it incredibly obvious that the "good ship" going to mars and earth carrying only inners was an empty airlock pointed in the vague direction of a sun.
Yep, that was painfully obvious, to the point that I was starting to wonder if it was actually not going to happen because it was too obvious, but I couldn't come up with a good reason for a fake out like that, and then it just happened and I don't know why. Some people we don't know killed some people we don't know. OK?

Lord Hydronium posted:

But honestly, the show is diverging enough at this point that outside of the major plot beats, book readers are guessing almost as much. This last episode, for example (no actual spoilers, but spoiled for people who don't want to hear anything about the books): Other than the broad strokes of what happened to Mei, and the existence of Prax, everything in it was unique to the show. At most, a few ideas from the books got used in a different context.
This is the exact sort of poo poo that makes me not want to read this thread. I don't even care about spoilers, I just don't give a poo poo what happens in the books or how it's different to the TV show. And instead of people just talking about the TV show this thread is about 75% people talking about the books and how they relate to the show and it's just tedious to even skim through.

Grand Fromage posted:

Guys the campaign they played was the broad strokes for like 3/4 of the first book. That's it. They changed the story massively to make it fit into a novel and it has zero to do with anything happening now.
The new guy really did seem like a replacement Miller. That's not strictly an RPG thing, it happens in TV shows all the time, where the writers get rid of someone or an actor quits and their solution is to introduce a new character to take their place, but it's easy to see why people would think it was a player rolling a new character.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Tiggum posted:

This is the exact sort of poo poo that makes me not want to read this thread. I don't even care about spoilers, I just don't give a poo poo what happens in the books or how it's different to the TV show. And instead of people just talking about the TV show this thread is about 75% people talking about the books and how they relate to the show and it's just tedious to even skim through.

In the books they get mad about their TV coverage.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I realized that from a nerd nitpicking perspective the thing that bothers me is the fact that all of the ship environs are lit up like a nightclub rather than like a functional office or home environment.

Yes we get it, this is outer space so everything is lit up like a pink floyd show. Fine.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Doresain posted:

I read the whole Holden/Fred thing at the end as another illustration of Fred's declining power and influence.

1) Fred is trying to find whatever leverage he can to legitimize the OPA/Belt peacefully and get a seat at the table with the inner planets. He saw Cortazar and the protomolecule as an ace up his sleeve to do that - as a threat or a bargaining chip, we can't know.
2) Dawes publicly withdraws support from Fred, calls him an Earther, steals his ace.
3) The location of more protomolecule is discovered. Holden & Co want to go do things about it, but don't involve Fred in the discussion. Fred sees this as an opportunity to get back in the game.
4) First, Fred tries to play on Holden's past loyalty to convince him - "Hey, with all the repairs we've done it's almost my ship bro."
5) Holden doesn't give a gently caress.
6) Fred tries to be nice "Hey if you happen to find some protomolecule..."
7) Holden "lol not giving it to you for drat sure"
8) Fred now tries threats - "no more repairs or docking for your stolen warship or anything if you cross me. I'm your patron."
9) Holden, correctly surmising the situation and not taking the bait- "Yeah what makes you think you'll still be in power?"
10) Fred, knowing he's beaten and giving in "Ok release the clamps then."

At no point did I feel like this was a fight or that there was anger between the two men - Fred was just trying to flex his muscles for his own (and, to him, the Belt's) interests. He found out those muscles weren't as strong as they used to be.

At this point I'm assuming Naomi will end up giving Fred the sample she saved to deal him back in, but who knows.

To be honest I'm not going to spoiler this because I don't think it's needed. The entire book Holden Johnson breakup didn't change their relationship one bit. All it served was for the Rosenante crew to have the libertarian circle jerk scene.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
To be honest, the whole Fred scenario is just them going 'Why the gently caress should we trust you with the most destructive bioweapon known to man when you almost lost control of both the OPA and the entire Tycho station, right after also losing Cortazar'. Which is far better displayed in the show than it was in the book (even if there must be a scene missing somewhere in the middle there)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tiggum posted:

Yep, that was painfully obvious, to the point that I was starting to wonder if it was actually not going to happen because it was too obvious, but I couldn't come up with a good reason for a fake out like that, and then it just happened and I don't know why. Some people we don't know killed some people we don't know. OK?

Things are getting nastier between Belters and Inners, and recent events seem to have emboldened the latter. Also to make Prax even sadder.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just found out from my buddy working on the show, renewed for a 3rd (and 4th) season, they're shooting 2 seasons back-to-back starting May.

Sucks for his summer but lol overtime.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The show really likes to ignore physics for theatrical effect in this season, I really liked season 1 based on the fact it tried to be realistic. The spacing is a good example, she floats there for several seconds as she loses her breath rather than being explosively decompressed and blown into space like a rocket.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Demiurge4 posted:

The show really likes to ignore physics for theatrical effect in this season, I really liked season 1 based on the fact it tried to be realistic. The spacing is a good example, she floats there for several seconds as she loses her breath rather than being explosively decompressed and blown into space like a rocket.

We sperged about the earlier spacing scene and I'm not sure whether an airlock has enough atmosphere to actually hurl people out of them due to decompression.

The room really only has a few kilograms of air, it's not like an air tunnel or a sky scraper.

Don't really know though, perhaps some physics goons can run the numbers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Another thing about airlock is that they usually cycle the atmosphere and decompress gently and only open up once the airlock itself is a vacuum. So again who knows.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Demiurge4 posted:

The show was spot on.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm sad that we're probably not going to be seeing Miller again, but the split made sense to me and I think it's more interesting than Miller continuing to support Holden and the crew because they're the protagonists. Miller's a former military commander and current OPA leader- he's used to followers and people who operate in his orbit. Holden's never been that. Also, Miller and Holden fundamentally disagree on inter-planetary politics and the realities of dealing with the proto-molecule. From Miller's perspective Holden's value IMO was that it gave him a card to play in paramilitary situations- but if Holden's going to run off on his own then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Anyways I continue to like the show. I'm just sad that I know the politics are eventually going to spin off in to prestige-TV reactionaryism and/or goofy Holden idealism.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's really awkward because the doors open, and you can see her hair and clothes billowing as the air obviously rushes past her and out of the door. Then after several seconds of forlorn looking at each other and gasping for air in a room that is already a vacuum, they all suddenly fly out for reasons.

The scene was exaggerated for emotional impact, which I can forgive. Even if the impact probably wasn't quite as much as they wanted it to be.

In the past airlocks have been cycled, but I think when you're trying to surprise murder a bunch of people you skip that step and just lose the air, plus the force should blow them out, it wasn't the belter's fault physics was a bit slow this week.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Iirc, the next shot showed the rear end end of the ship rotating up and away from the stationary spacees.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's really awkward because the doors open, and you can see her hair and clothes billowing as the air obviously rushes past her and out of the door. Then after several seconds of forlorn looking at each other and gasping for air in a room that is already a vacuum, they all suddenly fly out for reasons.

The reasons are that the ship starts accelerating away from them. They do an external shot showing the reaction thrusters firing.

e:fb

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm sad that we're probably not going to be seeing Miller again, but the split made sense to me and I think it's more interesting than Miller continuing to support Holden and the crew because they're the protagonists. Miller's a former military commander and current OPA leader- he's used to followers and people who operate in his orbit. Holden's never been that. Also, Miller and Holden fundamentally disagree on inter-planetary politics and the realities of dealing with the proto-molecule. From Miller's perspective Holden's value IMO was that it gave him a card to play in paramilitary situations- but if Holden's going to run off on his own then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Anyways I continue to like the show. I'm just sad that I know the politics are eventually going to spin off in to prestige-TV reactionaryism and/or goofy Holden idealism.

Fred Johnson, not Miller.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Fred Johnson, not Miller.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The main engines fire, but that isn't until they're out of the room, and that would just make them fall on the floor of the room anyways. It's possible some thrusters fired before that that I missed though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

counterfeitsaint posted:

The main engines fire, but that isn't until they're out of the room, and that would just make them fall on the floor of the room anyways. It's possible some thrusters fired before that that I missed though.

You missed it. The maneuvering thrusters push the ship up and the Inner unfortunates out, then the main engine lights.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

MA-Horus posted:

Just found out from my buddy working on the show, renewed for a 3rd (and 4th) season, they're shooting 2 seasons back-to-back starting May.

Sucks for his summer but lol overtime.

13 episode third season renewal has been officially confirmed :toot:. I didn't see a mention of a two season back to back shooting schedule or 4th season pickup, but if they're renewing despite the low ratings I guess they could easily be going all-in and lumping together the shooting schedule. Very glad that Syfy is sticking with this awesome show, hopefully they ride it all the way through the end of the story and don't cut out partway through.

Edit: Also I really hope that belter who spaced all those innocent people gets killed, that was a very not cool move guy! Prax not even being able to name him or the ship was super sad to see, I really got my hopes up once he started dropping the dime on what went down.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NowonSA posted:

13 episode third season renewal has been officially confirmed :toot:. I didn't see a mention of a two season back to back shooting schedule or 4th season pickup, but if they're renewing despite the low ratings I guess they could easily be going all-in and lumping together the shooting schedule. Very glad that Syfy is sticking with this awesome show, hopefully they ride it all the way through the end of the story and don't cut out partway through.

Netflix likes four season deals -- I assume that might have something to do with it. I assume that's also how Twelve Monkeys got its fourth season so quickly. (And I imagine that they'll do something similar for The Magicians and Killjoys; Netflix just got Killjoys in my area, which suggests a deal, and The Magicians gets the channel better ratings than any of the shows I've just mentioned.)

That said, no way in hell this gets eight or nine seasons. That'd be impossible.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Correct, they're forced out because of the thrusters.
Only after they're out the main drive is fired. They got the timing right to the second though, so they must be quite experienced in floating people.

I'm amazed by Drummer's accent. I thought she had it because the actress wouldn't be a native english speaker or so, but actually it's all done on purpose.
Love her to bits. Wouldn't dare to stand in her way though.

The pace of the season has staggered a bit since Eros crashed into Venus, but at least we got 13 episodes this season so plenty yet to come.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grand Fromage posted:

You missed it. The maneuvering thrusters push the ship up and the Inner unfortunates out, then the main engine lights.

It's even in the gif posted earlier:

https://fat.gfycat.com/ObedientJampackedFlickertailsquirrel.mp4

Other good bits were Amos walking around the outside rim of Tycho, with his arms being flung up. This show doesn't always get it right but at least it makes the attempt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there any numbers on international viewing? I was getting subtitles from one of the big Chinese sub sites for a class video today and was surprised that they had the Expanse as the background banner.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There is no legal international viewing, because the show doesn't get released internationally on Netflix until the season ends. Maybe they have a good reason for doing it like this, but I'm sure it's costing them a lot of impatient viewers.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Apoffys posted:

There is no legal international viewing, because the show doesn't get released internationally on Netflix until the season ends. Maybe they have a good reason for doing it like this, but I'm sure it's costing them a lot of impatient viewers.

Exactly I don't get it.
I'm pretty confident we can assume that most scify nerds (like me) are very well aware how the internet works and how to get their fix as soon as possible.
I do know some people who definitely wait until the end of a season before they start watching it so they can binge it... so it does have its merit.

This show should definitely have been aired on Netflix 24-48 hours after original airing on Syfy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My local Canadian space channel puts the episodes up free on their website like a week or so after they air. I don't have TV or any sort of subscription to their channel, but I can click and watch them without paying a dime. It's of course also possible to torrent them the moment the episode has finished airing live. In Canada those are my only 2 options and neither of them give any money to the show.

I'd love to support the show in some actual financial sense though. But I'm not signing up for a cable package. Short of putting something like $2 per episode in an envelope and a "thank u for space show" and writing "To: The expanse" on the envelope I don't know what options there are.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

My local Canadian space channel puts the episodes up free on their website like a week or so after they air. I don't have TV or any sort of subscription to their channel, but I can click and watch them without paying a dime. It's of course also possible to torrent them the moment the episode has finished airing live. In Canada those are my only 2 options and neither of them give any money to the show.

I'd love to support the show in some actual financial sense though. But I'm not signing up for a cable package. Short of putting something like $2 per episode in an envelope and a "thank u for space show" and writing "To: The expanse" on the envelope I don't know what options there are.

Buy season 2 on Amazon prime? That's how I've been watching.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They've got physical season 1 for $35 plus shipping but I don't see any digital anything.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

If you're watching the same ones on the Space Channel website like me, then they do have ads before it starts and I think at the usual commercial break spots. Not sure if adblocker blocks them but I turned it off for the whole domain. I know what you mean though, I just want to give them my money some way other than getting a cable subscription which I'm not going to do.

edit - It's too bad they don't have something like pay a few dollars and be able to watch it at the same time it airs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

He's in Canada, and it's not available on Prime in Canada

Baronjutter: according to Google, you should try looking for it on Crave TV, whatever the hell that is.

• Locked thread