Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

LOL, I'm the only minority in town and even if I beeline straight for the item I need I can't make it through Walmart without 4-6 people asking me if I'm finding everything okay. Some of them are practically running after me to "help" me.

I've never heard of loss prevention being able to detain people and not just get an assault charge out of it.
Heavily depends on location.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is the sort of business logic I've never understood but have seen far too many times in my life.

Thefts are up. How do we make back our money? Have fewer staff. Oh, now thefts are up by a lot! How did that happen?
When I've seen it done, it was as a coercive/punitive measure. Like, "we know you're all just scraping by and if you all don't stop letting us get robbed blind, then you're all getting your hours cut and good luck making rent". lovely, but at least comprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is the sort of business logic I've never understood but have seen far too many times in my life.

Thefts are up. How do we make back our money? Have fewer staff. Oh, now thefts are up by a lot! How did that happen?

I almost got fired once for bringing it to security's attention that someone left a suspicious bag in the women's room after a customer told me. I probably would have been dropped like a rock if that woman hadn't run up to us while the manager was talking to me and told the manager she was the one who told me about it.

At the time, holiday season mind you, it was normal practice for me to be in charge of half the floor on my own with one security guy roaming about. It wasn't a small store by any means either, but I'd be swamped with work from three departments and still expected to help out with work from across the store. Retail still sucks, will probably always suck.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
When I worked at an Old Navy years ago there was one three-day weekend with a back-to-school sale and not remotely enough people to deal with the rush. We were always aware of shrink (the number of items lost per week was the password to the stockroom, it got updated about four times a year) and that weekend the losses went through the roof and the new management wised up. Well, that's my retail story. Here's some schadenfreude, outdated but still pretty good.
https://twitter.com/Slade/status/834802177843527683

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
In case you were unaware, Steve Bannon invested $60 million from Goldman Sachs into a World of Warcraft gold-farming site. Goes as expected... (It's long, but worth the read. Very interesting)

:lol:

This poo poo-for-brains has our presidents ear, ladies and gentlemen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

You don't actually have to be smart to climb the corporate ladder. You just have to be shameless enough to cast blame anywhere but yourself and willing to gently caress up a bunch of other people's lives anytime something goes wrong.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/s0uHJrw.gifv

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Not quite sure what the schadenfreude is here? Is it the cop pulling the guy over for not yielding to the ambulance? If so, that cop is an idiot. Emergency lights don't automatically mean we have the right-of-way. The driver of that car did nothing wrong but being an rear end in a top hat. gently caress him for sure, regardless.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Looks like Ontario. You are definitely legally required to yield to emergency vehicles. You could maybe argue the first didn't see the ambulance until it was too late. No excuse for the second fuckman.

What backwater hole do you live in where stopping for an ambulance is optional?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

JoelJoel posted:

Looks like Ontario. You are definitely legally required to yield to emergency vehicles. You could maybe argue the first didn't see the ambulance until it was too late. No excuse for the second fuckman.

What backwater hole do you live in where stopping for an ambulance is optional?

:patriot:

And to be fair, while it IS technically optional, we (the people in the ambulance) hate people who don't yield, and the cops aren't fans of them either. Still, there's no law on our books here in the US (that I'm aware of) that makes not yielding illegal.

Related. A coworker of mine was driving the ambulance with his partner and a patient in the back. Patient was in bad shape, lights on, sirens, the whole shabang. They stopped at an intersection (red for them), looked, proceeded through, and was promptly broadsided by some dipshit not paying attention. Guess who was at fault?

It's a hosed system, but whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Emergency lights don't automatically mean we have the right-of-way. The driver of that car did nothing wrong but being an rear end in a top hat.

Huh? Is this sovereign citizen stuff? Is this based on some kind of sea law?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Zipperelli. posted:

And to be fair, while it IS technically optional, we (the people in the ambulance) hate people who don't yield, and the cops aren't fans of them either. Still, there's no law on our books here in the US (that I'm aware of) that makes not yielding illegal.

Pretty certain that's based on state. Massachusetts, for example, has a requirement to yield for emergency vehicles that are using their siren. Same with Indiana.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Garrand posted:

Pretty certain that's based on state. Massachusetts, for example, has a requirement to yield for emergency vehicles that are using their siren. Same with Indiana.

Yup, varies by state. For example, https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.145

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAJemmO-bg&t=263s

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Huh? Is this sovereign citizen stuff? Is this based on some kind of sea law?

As far as I know, only police with blue lights get guaranteed right-of-way. Here in Florida, fire/rescue vehicles don't. Light and sirens for us mean we're requesting it. That's like, day 1 of EMT school. Obviously this could have changed in the 7 years since I went through it, but if it has, the cops around here don't give a single gently caress about people not yielding. They'll just get behind them, blip the siren, then roll out.

Edit:

quote:

Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, while en route to meet an existing emergency, the driver of every other vehicle shall, when such emergency vehicle is giving audible signals by siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device, or visible signals by the use of displayed blue or red lights, yield the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle and shall immediately proceed to a position parallel to, and as close as reasonable to the closest edge of the curb of the roadway, clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.

So I was wrong, it's only when we're headed TO an emergency. Apparently not if we've already grabbed them and are transporting. gently caress this stupid rear end state.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Mar 17, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Here in Florida,

found it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

There's laws in a bunch of states (most, as far as I know) that dictate either moving over for emergency vehicles or even stating what lanes you have rights to if there is an emergency vehicle on the road. I got pulled over in Arizona once because I drove by a stopped vehicle on the highway because I was going over 40mph, but not in the far lane.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

As far as I know, only police with blue lights get guaranteed right-of-way. Here in Florida, fire/rescue vehicles don't. Light and sirens for us mean we're requesting it. That's like, day 1 of EMT school. Obviously this could have changed in the 7 years since I went through it, but if it has, the cops around here don't give a single gently caress about people not yielding. They'll just get behind them, blip the siren, then roll out.

Nooooope

quote:

(1)(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, while en route to meet an existing emergency, the driver of every other vehicle shall, when such emergency vehicle is giving audible signals by siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device, or visible signals by the use of displayed blue or red lights, yield the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle and shall immediately proceed to a position parallel to, and as close as reasonable to the closest edge of the curb of the roadway, clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.126.html

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

After a quick search I found
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.126.html

quote:

Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, while en route to meet an existing emergency, the driver of every other vehicle shall, when such emergency vehicle is giving audible signals by siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device, or visible signals by the use of displayed blue or red lights, yield the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle and shall immediately proceed to a position parallel to, and as close as reasonable to the closest edge of the curb of the roadway, clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.

It might have just been meant as less legally and more that having your siren on doesn't guarantee that people will obey the law.

e: damnit

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Read the first like, 15 or so words REALLY carefully. Apparently this law doesn't count if we're headed to the hospital. Only on the way to the original call. Just verified with a traffic lawyer buddy of mine, and he said the same thing. The law is written really hosed up.

Basically if you're on the way to the hospital, having a heart attack, our lights and sirens mean exactly dick.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
So Florida is schadenfreude?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Read the first like, 15 or so words REALLY carefully. Apparently this law doesn't count if we're headed to the hospital. Only on the way to the original call. Just verified with a traffic lawyer buddy of mine, and he said the same thing. The law is written really hosed up.

Basically if you're on the way to the hospital, having a heart attack, our lights and sirens mean exactly dick.

Pssh, the hospital is always in a state of emergency, what do they know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm sure a judge or jury will totally take the dude's side who refused to yield right of way to the emergency vehicle trying to get someone to a hospital.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

How would anyone on the road know which direction the ambulance is headed and why would going to the hospital not also be considered part of "meeting the existing emergency"? Judges have validated this dumb interpretation? Your state is stupid as poo poo dude.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jamfrost posted:

So Florida is schadenfreude?

Constantly.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure a judge or jury will totally take the dude's side who refused to yield right of way to the emergency vehicle trying to get someone to a hospital.

Heh. Judges make really stupid rulings all the time. Welcome to the USA. Enjoy your stay.

PostNouveau posted:

Your state is stupid as poo poo dude.

No poo poo Captain Obvious. We have a whole thread where we mock this shithole relentlessly. You should stop by.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

Heh. Judges make really stupid rulings all the time. Welcome to the USA. Enjoy your stay.

Used to that, but I still don't know of any times a court of law said, "gently caress it, dude died on his way to the hospital....guess that guy in the Pilot had nothing to do with it! since they were on their way to the hospital...CASE DISMISSED!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Link?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blargh, generic US law garbage. Point is, you have to move over for emergency vehicles. We can bring individual state law into whatever, but regardless of written law, you're always gonna be hosed if you didn't yield/make way for an emergency vehicle in the US.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Once again, it's you, America.

Please don't nuke the rest of us.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

JoelJoel posted:

Once again, it's you, America.

Please don't nuke the rest of us.

poo poo, it's not a matter of if anymore, it's when

Just look at that face. He's dying to fire off a few nukes.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
this is a quick video explaining florida emergency vehicle protocols

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Whether it's illegal or not, if you don't let an emergency vehicle through you're a poo poo.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

cohsae posted:

Whether it's illegal or not, if you don't let an emergency vehicle through you're a poo poo.

Came to post this.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

LOL, I'm the only minority in town and even if I beeline straight for the item I need I can't make it through Walmart without 4-6 people asking me if I'm finding everything okay. Some of them are practically running after me to "help" me.

You should try being white. Then you can just walk out of the store with 60 inch tvs and no one will notice!

When I worked retail, the LP training video for the Midwest big box home improvement store I worked at showed security tape of people doing just that. If you are white and look confident enough, you can wheel that baby right out to your car without anyone questioning you apparently.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

cohsae posted:

You know when you're at a red light and an ambulance comes up behind the row of cars and everyone walks through the red light to get out of it's way?

We have automatic red light cameras in the UK. Enjoy your fine, points on your license, and loss of job if a clean license was a requirement!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

You know when you're at a red light and an ambulance comes up behind the row of cars and everyone walks through the red light to get out of it's way?

No?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Ak Gara posted:

We have automatic red light cameras in the UK. Enjoy your fine, points on your license, and loss of job if a clean license was a requirement!

No traffic court?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Source? I don't believe that has ever happened to anyone. I've pulled through a few red lights for ambulances here and never been ticketed.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah gonna need a source on that - everyone goes through reds to let emergency service vehicles through, myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've never actually seen anyone go through a red to let an ambulance through.