Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish they made it more clear that there's a korok guy who expands your inventory because I had found like 90 korok seeds before eventually looking up what they were even for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Lakbay posted:

That Rain World game coming out for ps4 and pc on the 28th looks like something I would enjoy. I almost winced when I saw "procedural" in the description but it said procedural animations which just left me confused.

Any indications if it'll be good, bad, something in between, or extreme?

I think it's a metroidvania but the description is pretty vague about gameplay

I briefly tested it in its early early development (2-3 years ago?) and it was fun back then, and it's looking amazing now. The animation is pretty impressive, it's essentially what Dogz/Catz tried to do, but this actually looks cool and not like a bunch of ball objects. No frame-by frame, all calulated, but with crisp outlines. Anyway, I'd 1000% suggest it.

Here's a DevLog started in 2012 if you're interested. Very cool to see its evolution: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

Xeno 2 was the last time I preordered a game.

Unrelated, but how bad is the weapon durability thing in the new Zelda? I heard that some people are really mad about it so I'm wondering how bad it actually is.

It can be a bit annoying, but you'll leave more weapons behind due to a full inventory than you'll ever break.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish they made it more clear that there's a korok guy who expands your inventory because I had found like 90 korok seeds before eventually looking up what they were even for

The first plant kid that gives you a seed tells you to give them to Hestu, and it's gotta be hard to miss him if you follow the main quest path through Kakariko which is like what, the second, third point?

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 17, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm completely awful at spotting korok puzzles and have found less than I've done shrines atm

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Help Im Alive posted:

The funny part is that dude is right there on the road to the first village you are suppose to go to but every one ends up just exploring/climbing over mountains to get there and completely miss him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm completely awful at spotting korok puzzles and have found less than I've done shrines atm

I'm good at spotting some categories of them but there are entire varieties of korok puzzle that I'm pretty sure I've never noticed a single one of. I would've missed the first koroks entirely if my girlfriend didn't love watching Zelda games and also puzzles, so she watches for koroks like a hawk.

My favorites are the ones where there's a ring of something in the water and you need to either throw something into the center or dive into the center.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

about a fourth of the way through the game onwards i never had an empty spot in my inventory because i was carrying around a full complement of mid-high tier weapons. the durability system is trash though because it adds nothing and would be more fun without. just feels like an afterthought

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

BexGu posted:

The funny part is that dude is right there on the road to the first village you are suppose to go to but every one ends up just exploring/climbing over mountains to get there and completely miss him.

They really could have done with some NPC dialogue scattered around talking about a weird tree on the road.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the durability system is necessary to make using enemy weapons attractive. Without it, I'd probably just use Guardian weapons the whole time because they look and sound rad as hell. I know that sounds like a good thing, and it would be to a degree, but I like the fact that I'm pushed to use a wider variety of weapons.

I guess they could've done that by just making weapons more or less effective on certain types of enemies but I actually think that would be more tedious. Maybe having more special effects or abilities on weapons might have worked, but coming off of Nioh, I don't think I'd want a Zelda game with pseudo-Diablo loot.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

They really could have done with some NPC dialogue scattered around talking about a weird tree on the road.

He specifically mentions that he's surprised you can see him because most people can't.

Immersion!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

about a fourth of the way through the game onwards i never had an empty spot in my inventory because i was carrying around a full complement of mid-high tier weapons. the durability system is trash though because it adds nothing and would be more fun without. just feels like an afterthought

yeah

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

oddium posted:

about a fourth of the way through the game i never had an empty spot in my inventory because i was carrying around a full complement of mid-high tier weapons. the durability system is trash though because it adds nothing and would be more fun without. just feels like an afterthought

Weapon durability, while def a bit crappy for lower powered weapons, is the entire reason they were able to do away with a leveling/standard RPG progression system. There's an immense amount of freedom in being able to just sneak somewhere and grab OP equipment that you wouldn't otherwise be able to wield.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Main places I've found them:

1) Lone rocks suspiciously at the top of a hill
2) Metal doors just lying on the ground for seemingly no reason (magnesis them up, lift the rock that's underneath them)
3) Block puzzles in the middle of nowhere (they come in pairs; magnesis the block that's out of place so the pairs match)
4) Pinwheels spinning in the middle of nowhere / flowers that look out of place
5) Button on the ground with a picture of a leaf on it, step on it to make a ring appear that you need to get to before time runs out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaspy Conana posted:

Weapon durability, while def a bit crappy for lower powered weapons, is the entire reason they were able to do away with a leveling/standard RPG progression system. There's an immense amount of freedom in being able to just sneak somewhere and grab OP equipment that you wouldn't otherwise be able to wield.

Yeah, also that. I think if that OP equipment couldn't break or could be repaired they'd need to have some way to prevent you from getting it early. As it is, they can give you the freedom to find a 40 attack sword close to the start if you're stupid or brave enough to sneak around the tough enemies to get it, and they can do that because that weapon isn't going to just carry you through the whole game like it would if it didn't break.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

raditts posted:

Main places I've found them:

1) Lone rocks suspiciously at the top of a hill
2) Metal doors just lying on the ground for seemingly no reason (magnesis them up, lift the rock that's underneath them)
3) Block puzzles in the middle of nowhere (they come in pairs; magnesis the block that's out of place so the pairs match)
4) Pinwheels spinning in the middle of nowhere / flowers that look out of place
5) Button on the ground with a picture of a leaf on it, step on it to make a ring appear that you need to get to before time runs out

Other types of korok puzzle:
  • Ring of rocks or flowers in the water that you need to dive into the middle of.
  • Lone yellow flower in a field. Approach it and it disappears. Look for another one. Keep chasing the disappearing flowers.
  • Piles of dry leaves. Burn them away with something and there's probably a rock with a korok under it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's a korok seed puzzle where you drop an apple in front of a shrine whose partner shrine has one already and it's neat and cute. and then the puzzle shows up 50 more times and it loses its charm. extend that to every mechanic and interaction in the game and that's the Breath of the Wild Experience

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gaspy Conana posted:

Its also makes getting the one sword that doesn't break that much more special and meaning full to get.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

there's a korok seed puzzle where you drop an apple in front of a shrine whose partner shrine has one already and it's neat and cute. and then the puzzle shows up 50 more times and it loses its charm. extend that to every mechanic and interaction in the game and that's the Breath of the Wild Experience

Yeah the korok puzzles do get a bit repetitive, but I guess that's necessary if you're going to have 900 of the drat things.

And I get why they have so many, because it means you can miss 90% of them and still find enough seeds to upgrade your inventory to a comfortable level. It also lets Nintendo troll the hell out of people with completion percentage, too. I have no idea if making each korok count the same amount towards completion percentage as a shrine was just lazy math, if it was meant to just pad out the completion percentage, or if it was there to just mess with completionists, but I like to think they did it as a joke.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oddium posted:

If weapon durability didn't exist then you'd be able to get some of the strongest weapons in the game like half an hour in and then just carry those around wrecking poo poo constantly. Then you'd be complaining about how the game is too easy because it allows you to do that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I briefly tested it in its early early development (2-3 years ago?) and it was fun back then, and it's looking amazing now. The animation is pretty impressive, it's essentially what Dogz/Catz tried to do, but this actually looks cool and not like a bunch of ball objects. No frame-by frame, all calulated, but with crisp outlines. Anyway, I'd 1000% suggest it.

Here's a DevLog started in 2012 if you're interested. Very cool to see its evolution: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.0

Very cool, i'll slowly read it during work today

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

Its also makes getting the one sword that doesn't break that much more special and meaning full to get.

They handled the Master Sword pretty much exactly like I hoped they would. It's a good sword, but not the strongest you can get, and you can't use it indefinitely, which means the weapon durability system isn't invalidated by it. But when it really counts, it becomes the best weapon in the game and has like ten times the durability, and that's exactly how it should work.

Though I think I would have probably made it actually unbreakable in glowing mode instead of just mega-durable, because it's hypothetically possible to, say, roll into the final boss fight with the Master Sword lower on durability than you realize and have it give out on you. Then again, maybe that's thematically appropriate :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

BexGu posted:

It does "break" tho

raditts posted:

If weapon durability didn't exist then you'd be able to get some of the strongest weapons in the game like half an hour in and then just carry those around wrecking poo poo constantly. Then you'd be complaining about how the game is too easy because it allows you to do that.

If they had designed without durability in mind they wouldn't have put the op weapons so close to the start.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i do carry the strongest weapons around constantly because there's so many of them. weapon durability does nothing in this game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I carry the strongest weapons around and never loving use them on anything because I don't want them to break when I might need them later.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ay Dios mio:

https://youtu.be/O9mHJJcyasU

Edit: Argh video tags are messing up

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 17, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

i do carry the strongest weapons around constantly because there's so many of them. weapon durability does nothing in this game

In the endgame, but I'm talking about right at the start. Without durability, you could roll into Hyrule Castle and come out with 40+ attack royal broadswords, claymores, and halberds and never need to pick up another weapon again. Either that or they'd have to either bar you from high-level areas for a while (which would be no fun) or make super-strong weapons not spawn until you've reached certain quest or plot milestones (also no fun).

To be fair, once you know what you're doing, you can achieve similar results, but it takes a bit more work (get those royal weapons, use them to beat Major Tests of Strength, fill your inventory with strong royal weapons and Guardian++ weapons), and it still won't last forever and you'd still need to pick up new weapons from time to time, which is the point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

In the endgame, but I'm talking about right at the start. Without durability, you could roll into Hyrule Castle and come out with 40+ attack royal broadswords, claymores, and halberds and never need to pick up another weapon again. Either that or they'd have to either bar you from high-level areas for a while (which would be no fun) or make super-strong weapons not spawn until you've reached certain quest or plot milestones (also no fun).

To be fair, once you know what you're doing, you can achieve similar results, but it takes a bit more work (get those royal weapons, use them to beat Major Tests of Strength, fill your inventory with strong royal weapons and Guardian++ weapons), and it still won't last forever and you'd still need to pick up new weapons from time to time, which is the point.

i would hate to get High Rewards for doing an optional High Risk Route yeah

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I carry the strongest weapons around and never loving use them on anything because I don't want them to break when I might need them later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgU4Oum8SLg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

i would hate to get High Rewards for doing an optional High Risk Route yeah

You still do, though. They just won't carry you through the entire game, which I still maintain would be no fun.

It's also not all that risky because you can save anywhere so if you die you just go try again and lose nothing but a few minutes. There'd be no reason not to do it unless you're intentionally trying to preserve the challenge.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oddium posted:

Yeah, and you're probably at the end of the game now, which means the game did exactly what it was supposed to.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the same problem I usually run into with consumables in jRPGs. Or with food in this game, for that matter.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

God drat do I love the fact that Zelda saves like every minute or less.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I use the good weapons I find until they break and then I always find more so it's not a big deal

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Viewtiful Jew posted:

He spent a few years at Square-Enix and helped develop the engine XV ran on, then he left them a few years ago and I don't think he's publicly announced what he's doing now since then.

He founded a mobile startup called LIBZENT. It's focused on business and life scheduling rather than anything to do with games or game engine development. He did great work with A Realm Reborn and laying the groundwork for Luminous Studios but it doesn't look like he's coming back to the game industry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

God drat do I love the fact that Zelda saves like every minute or less.

Except on Eventide Isle, where you can't even manually save until you're done :v:

I loved that, by the way. It ended up being really tense and the further I got the more risk-averse I became. I feel really sad for anyone who cheesed that shrine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

lets hang out posted:

I use the good weapons I find until they break and then I always find more so it's not a big deal

yeah that's what i'm saying. why even have durability if having so many weapons negates it. why not give weapons Stats instead maybe if you want people to Switch it Up

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Wamdoodle posted:

Ay Dios mio:

https://youtu.be/O9mHJJcyasU

Edit: Argh video tags are messing up

Nice. Kira mod is better. Call me when there's a Planet Waves mod

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

the witch time trigger window is pretty forgiving too

Zelda has witch time in it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Zelda has witch time in it?

poo poo yeah it does. Perfect dodges slow time and let you do a big multi hit counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Harrow posted:

Except on Eventide Isle, where you can't even manually save until you're done :v:

I loved that, by the way. It ended up being really tense and the further I got the more risk-averse I became. I feel really sad for anyone who cheesed that shrine.

It wasn't even that hard as long as you don't just throw yourself at enemies and try to tank damage

• Locked thread