Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Thundercakes posted:

Had my first 200k game in a Montana of all things. Unfortunately I can't seem to buy a win tonight.

It was pretty terrible, don't worry. It was just like playing on the weekend. I think the 314% XP thing for pi-day brought out every weekend warrior out to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

You can also change crosshairs in the options menu. I highly suggest "Dynamic". It automatically changes the ticks to match your level of zoom, so you can zoom one level out if you need more lead space for those pesky russian DDs.

You can also make your minimap larger, find what buttons its bound to for your computer, for mine it was + and - on the numpad. Blow that map up to a good size, the minimap is super important. Also, make sure you bind F3 (Designate Target) to a non-problematic key or mouse button, so you can just hit that when you want to highlight a target ship or cap. Its very convenient to just ping a cap at the start to let your team know which way you're headed.

Are there any custom crosshairs that work with Dynamic?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Nordick posted:

So Phontomen seems to like the Okhotnik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr7vCxAauSo

This guy is very entertaining to watch, any other vids you suggest?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pacra posted:

Ah, phontomen. He did some WoWS videos back in the beta days and then stopped for a long time, and he's started making some more relatively recently. I mostly know him for making a shitload of Warthunder videos back in the day.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

El Disco posted:

Ah, phontomen. He did some WoWS videos back in the beta days and then stopped for a long time, and he's started making some more relatively recently. I mostly know him for making a shitload of Warthunder videos back in the day.

He's not a great player, but he's loving hilarious. Most of his games for some reason are in the Dunkerque, and it's clear he just likes going balls deep no matter what. He got a Nikolai from a Christmas box and decided to do a video for it that is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljj5grnHZWo

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Iceshade posted:

It was pretty terrible, don't worry. It was just like playing on the weekend. I think the 314% XP thing for pi-day brought out every weekend warrior out to play.

Yeah you were right, seems like the teams tonight are more settled. On a separate note, I honestly can't wait to hit the Minotaur based on my experience with the Neptune so far. Such a good boat.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is this Katori thing any good, or is it just a welfare IJN captain trainer?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

MikeC posted:

Is this Katori thing any good, or is it just a welfare IJN captain trainer?

It's unbearably slow, 18kts. Two turrets with 4 long range guns that are super accurate but not terribly high DPM. The hull has less than 10mm of armor and the citadel has something absurd like 20mm of armor. It gets shredded.

Oh, but it gets a float plane, so that must make it all better :downs:.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It used to be the Japanese tier 1, before they swapped it out for Hashidate near the end of the beta.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

It gets a special mod that reduces dispersion by 40%, giving it accuracy like a high tier cruiser but it has poo poo maneuverability in exchange. And don't knock the float planes, they'll stay up near indefinitely at t3 and with them lasting 6 minutes each time you'll have torp coverage for most of the game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
gently caress, they need to have ranked season more often. Just got into rank 5 today and the games keep getting better. Less and less idiots and trashtalkers who blame no one but themselves. More and more people who are helpful and communicate.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

gently caress, they need to have ranked season more often. Just got into rank 5 today and the games keep getting better. Less and less idiots and trashtalkers who blame no one but themselves. More and more people who are helpful and communicate.

I was about to say "Are you sure you're still playing WoWS and not some other game with ranked play?" but then I saw you said "less" idiots, not "zero."

Fewer not less :argh:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

El Disco posted:

I was about to say "Are you sure you're still playing WoWS and not some other game with ranked play?" but then I saw you said "less" idiots, not "zero."

Fewer not less :argh:

Obviously not a non-zero amount but the worst random player will sail off on his own, not listen to the agreed upon plan, die and then spend the rest of the game ranting about how he got no support.

Past rank 10, I found even the worst players were just bad, they weren't actively toxic and even if they died a lot of them were actually in chat saying sorry they hosed up and just gave general awareness tips.

edit: ping ponged between 1 star and 0 star ranked 5. Time for bed and give it another go tomorrow. Still maintaining 66+% win rate on my Gnei, hope I can make it in time.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 16, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I think the trick is to play a couple of games, get a couple of stars, and then go do something else. I find that when I try to get ranks and stars I just keep ping-ponging, no matter what.

They need to change the rules, I mean, at least they should reward the top xp in the team, the one that carried everyone to victory, with two stars.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Finished my Pensacola grind.

I only played 2 games pre-buff. Ship is pretty drat decent.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
When does this ranked season end?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

When does this ranked season end?

It ends Friday of next week

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Strabo4 posted:

It gets a special mod that reduces dispersion by 40%, giving it accuracy like a high tier cruiser but it has poo poo maneuverability in exchange. And don't knock the float planes, they'll stay up near indefinitely at t3 and with them lasting 6 minutes each time you'll have torp coverage for most of the game.

The guns are the Kuma's guns and with the dispersion buff, they are fun to use...

Until you realize the Katori cannot outrun a St. Louis. Then you realize how bad it is.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just unlocked the Konigsberg and did not expect to love it so much. Those 3x3 turrets have battleship range and destroyer reload speeds. Alright-torps as well. I just bought the aiming modification and am expecting good results.

As i get several ships deep into tier 6 i am running out of money quickly. Am i missing a lot by not really doing missions? I just pick a ship and click "battle"" without thinking. I hope to have a tier 7 by the next ranked battles season.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pacra posted:

The guns are the Kuma's guns and with the dispersion buff, they are fun to use...

Until you realize the Katori cannot outrun a St. Louis. Then you realize how bad it is.

Nah. It is actually the yubari's guns. Except a tier lower. I believe the kuma has 150s while the yubari and katori run 140s.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

JuffoWup posted:

Nah. It is actually the yubari's guns. Except a tier lower. I believe the kuma has 150s while the yubari and katori run 140s.

They all use the same 140mm guns, just in different mountings.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a TL:DR summary about the french cruisers somewhere?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Well it ended up taking me 124 games to hit Rank 1 thanks to a string of exceptionally bad teams that stalled my progress for a while. When 2/3 of your DDs eat torps in the first 5 minutes you can kinda see where the match is going.

Just need one more Rank 1 to get the Flint.

TurboDrizzle posted:

I just unlocked the Konigsberg and did not expect to love it so much. Those 3x3 turrets have battleship range and destroyer reload speeds. Alright-torps as well. I just bought the aiming modification and am expecting good results.

As i get several ships deep into tier 6 i am running out of money quickly. Am i missing a lot by not really doing missions? I just pick a ship and click "battle"" without thinking. I hope to have a tier 7 by the next ranked battles season.

That's normal. Tier 6-7 is about where you have to save up money for things instead of automatically buying them as soon as they're unlocked. It's also where the XP grind becomes real.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I would have expected that there would be a biger portion of battleship in T10 games. It feels like Kurfust/Yamatos everywere.

Last 2 Weeks on EU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
World of BaBBies? More like World of Destroyers

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm also looking at the fact that there is an extreme drop off at t8. Now, I know tirpitz and atago swing it their way, but it still looks like there is quite a drop off on players making an effort past t8 to play (hell, I'm one of them I suppose). But then again, there is literally no reward for achieving t10 right now. In WoT, clam wars was already on and going which required t10 (it didn't actually, but in terms of winning fights, that was the first step).

Edit: Also, I'm glad this 4 pillar balanced game as an equal play for all 4 pillars. Love that CV stat no matter which tier it is.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JuffoWup posted:

I'm also looking at the fact that there is an extreme drop off at t8. Now, I know tirpitz and atago swing it their way, but it still looks like there is quite a drop off on players making an effort past t8 to play (hell, I'm one of them I suppose). But then again, there is literally no reward for achieving t10 right now. In WoT, clam wars was already on and going which required t10 (it didn't actually, but in terms of winning fights, that was the first step).

Edit: Also, I'm glad this 4 pillar balanced game as an equal play for all 4 pillars. Love that CV stat no matter which tier it is.

Do you really want 3 CVs per side in your matches?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Do you really want 3 CVs per side in your matches?

Sure, as long as I can also platoon 2 CVs again. That'll end everyone's hate about US being crap compared ot IJN CVs too. Air superiority USN CVs are solid, but they don't do much to the ground war they are participating in.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

If there were a way to counter CVs, sure. I understand their historical significance, but in this game there is little you can do if your carrier dude sucks and you're against someone competent.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

If there were a way to counter CVs, sure. I understand their historical significance, but in this game there is little you can do if your carrier dude sucks and you're against someone competent.

No difference than now really. In two CV games, you are still going to use the word "welp, I'm hosed" when you see 4 torpedo bombers come at you. Besides, you can say that same thing about DD players too. "I can't do anything because our DDs suicided at the start while the enemy DDs are competent at shadowing and stealth torping my team"

I did do a neat trick earlier today against an enemy CV though. I dove into some smoke with my chapy slowly. This was because a friendly amagi was there already. So as I'm sailing a bit behind him into the smoke, I see the cv planes come in and target them of course. That cv was dropping for me and put them so close that they all didn't arm when they ran into the amagi's hull. Woops.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

EU server has a really healthy tier 10 population. Look at that chart, that's still over 100k games played in 2 weeks. I know that until late night time I don't have a problem getting instantly into tier 10 games and even at odd hours it's normally only a minute or two queueing.

But saying that, you are right, there's no reward for getting to tier 10 other than being able to sing "YAAA MAAA TOOOO" constantly :downs:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Burt posted:

But saying that, you are right, there's no reward for getting to tier 10 other than being able to sing "YAAA MAAA TOOOO" constantly :downs:

What about the Khabarovsk song?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

What about the Khabarovsk song?

I am the god of hellfire?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

At tier 9 and 10 there are surefire ways to counter CVs, it is called being an RN cruiser with AA spec. If merely coming within 7km of you makes their planes start taking damage they are going to go find someone easier to kill.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I dream of a day when the Minotaur gets either A) an exception to the focused AA minimum caliber requirement or B) defensive fire. It would just slaughter planes relentlessly.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

My North Carolina is specced for AA and its hilarious. 7km ball of death. Against T6 carriers it's almost a guaranteed slaughter before the planes can even touch you.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That's really the trouble with World of Warships and handling an actual competitive community. Wargaming didn't launch the game with clan support and left it that way for a year and a half (more?) and there's no clan wars at all. Compare this with World of Tanks that basically had clans in beta and clan wars a short while after release that managed to foster a competitive community that is still somewhat alive to this day.

There's simply no reason to play tier 10 besides the fact that you can't be bottom tier. There's no end game or group activities within sub-communities outside of player hosted tournaments and the like. Though, I will say that in classic Wargaming fashion, tier 10 is as terribly balanced in boats as it is in tanks.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
T10 ships garantee to be top Tier and in addition to that they are usually a massive step above T9 in term of power.
So you get to seal club all the lower tier which is quite fun, to bad the game is often very slow/passive at that tier, deleting T8-T9 cruisers at brawling range with the Zao never gets old.

Now you can also use them to farm elite XP if you have a lvl 19 captain (I don't).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Krogort posted:

I would have expected that there would be a biger portion of battleship in T10 games. It feels like Kurfust/Yamatos everywere.
Because Montana sucks donkey balls!

My eyes hurt. Too drat bright.

edit: If you want to spend doubloons to convert free xp, there's 40% discount going on now (35 xp for 1 doubloon).

Aesis fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pacra posted:

I haven't watched a lot of his WoWS videos, but if you mean any game, his "Bad Luck Club" videos where he plays World of Tanks with his buddies are pretty good. Their banter is funny and all kinds of stupid poo poo keeps happening to them.

But be sure to rummage through both of his channels. Phontomen LP is the one with actual LP series and just phontomen has the random silly poo poo.

El Disco posted:

Yeah, he started by making these kind of random funny videos of War Thunder and WoT and stuff, which were what made him a goon favourite because a lot of them are goddamn hilarious. Then, by what I've gathered about stuff he's talked about in his later videos, he hit some kind of life crisis for a bit, and then started as a "proper" Youtube LPer because he was basically unemployable and it was the only thing he knew how to do. I was surprised that he talked about that sort of stuff so candidly, but I root for him because he seems like a decent guy and is a genuinely entertaining LPer. He has a very good voice and output, his enthusiasm for silly gimmick poo poo is pretty infectious, and he doesn't take things too seriously.

Blindeye posted:

He's not a great player, but he's loving hilarious. Most of his games for some reason are in the Dunkerque, and it's clear he just likes going balls deep no matter what. He got a Nikolai from a Christmas box and decided to do a video for it that is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljj5grnHZWo
Oh god the bit with the Kawachi at 10:35 is amazing. That laughter :allears: