Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Grim Dawn does a lot of things right, but one of those things is not Port Valbury. What an awful, awful slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Stokes posted:

Grim Dawn does a lot of things right, but one of those things is not Port Valbury. What an awful, awful slog.

I do think it's because they mostly listen to people on their forums who have end-game characters who can't really be touched by much.
Still, they might go back and fix it - when they first released the Loghorrean fight, it was a lot harder than any previous fights, so they made some changes to the fight on Normal/Veteran. I'm hopeful they'll do the same for Valbury.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What are good skills/constellations to go with a fire strike/explosive strike/brimstone setup where you shoot people with a gun? Are thermite mines/mortar trap worth grabbing for support since they use the same damage type?

Was thinking arcanist for iskandra's, with mirror of ereoctes and flash freeze for survivability. But occultist has some pretty useful stuff for this setup too.

Kraken and hydra look like the big constellations to work toward, but I'm not sure what other ones to hit.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Arcanist is good for defense, Occultist for offense, as I understand it. Thermite Mines are great for that build since they reduce Fire, Lightning and Chaos resistance. I'd also pick up Solael's Witchfire since that reduces Fire and Chaos, and you can put it on Flashbang.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
This is a nice change coming in the expansion:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52039

Exactly what the game needs, I think. Now they just need to add weapon damage ratios to most skills so things scale properly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For albrecht's aether ray, do you want cast speed or skill cooldown reduction?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Digirat posted:

For albrecht's aether ray, do you want cast speed or skill cooldown reduction?

Cast speed; cooldown reduction doesn't affect it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Favorite tweak from the latest patch:

quote:

Raise the Dead: increased Skeleton duration to 40s by max rank, increased their base and charge speeds

:getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Plot wise, is the expansion going to be about beating up an Aethereal counterpart to Cy-guy?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Tanith posted:

Favorite tweak from the latest patch:

:getin:

Oh dang, that'll actually make it a lot more useful.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mash posted:

This is a nice change coming in the expansion:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52039

Exactly what the game needs, I think. Now they just need to add weapon damage ratios to most skills so things scale properly.

At work, what is this change?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

At work, what is this change?

I just skimmed it but it looks like items can make changes/more specific buffs to certain skills. So you could have the Legendary Awesome Hot Knife Through Butter that turns your Amerasta's Blade Burst cold damage to fire or something.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I just bought this game and tried out a few classes. From what I understand, the best way to decide on a build is to just pick 1 or 2 skills from any class that look interesting and then only focusing on those, right? Because spreading points out seems like a bad idea with how many skill upgrades there are.
Also, holy gently caress; I tried a shaman and Savagery gives me +600% weapon damage at level 1 as soon as I attack 6 times? And Primal Strike just straight-up clears all trash mobs around me in one hit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Lightning Druid is still getting used to Ultimate, and I just ran into a pack of 5 Hero Rifthounds in a cave. Bleeding, Poison, Fire and two Physicals. Fuuuuuuck.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

kingturnip posted:

My Lightning Druid is still getting used to Ultimate, and I just ran into a pack of 5 Hero Rifthounds in a cave. Bleeding, Poison, Fire and two Physicals. Fuuuuuuck.

Rifthound heroes have a real propensity for spawning in groups of 3-5, I almost never see that with other enemy types.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

GrossMurpel posted:

Also, holy gently caress; I tried a shaman and Savagery gives me +600% weapon damage at level 1 as soon as I attack 6 times? And Primal Strike just straight-up clears all trash mobs around me in one hit.

That's not how savagery works, It only gives you 100% on the sixth hit. Aka only double auto attack damage. The first hit gives a 30% bonus, The second 50%.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Dr_Gee posted:

Oh dang, that'll actually make it a lot more useful.

Popped it on aether ray per someone from Reddit who pointed it out when they changed from scaling with pet to player bonuses, the longevity increase is fantastic.

I do keep trying to shoot my own skeletons, though. :saddowns:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Jabarto posted:

Rifthound heroes have a real propensity for spawning in groups of 3-5, I almost never see that with other enemy types.

There's no Beast faction, so I figure they're just able to spawn with multiple guys like that more often than Aetherials or the Undead would at the start. Might be wrong though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I actually see groups of 2-3 hero enemies in most factions from time to time. They seem to be a bit weaker than usual individually when they're in a group, but maybe I'm imagining that.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Justin_Brett posted:

There's no Beast faction, so I figure they're just able to spawn with multiple guys like that more often than Aetherials or the Undead would at the start. Might be wrong though.

There is a beast faction. It's hidden in-game but you can see that it exists with any sort of memory viewer.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Picking this back up in anticipation of the expansion.

What's a good DW build for someone starting fresh? My past characters have all been pretty 2H melee-centric, and I'm looking for a change.

Is Nightblade a requirement for effective dual-wielding?

EDIT: Originally asked for ranged builds, but then saw the Inquisitor and decided to wait on that.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 19, 2017

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Dual Wield Gunslinger: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50260

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Devorum posted:

Is dual wielding pistols always better than using a rifle? Is Demo a required class for gun builds?

Dual wielding pistols is actually not better due to the game's mechanics. Gunslingers aren't meant to be stationary yet you can't move and shoot, so it's difficult to make use of the pistols' DPS advantage. Rifles are slower but hit much harder.

That's not to say DW pistols are bad. On the contrary, you can easily finish Ultimate with a gunslinger if that's what you want to play. Rifles just make more sense if you're playing solo.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I just logged into Steam and apparently Grim Dawn is -50% off. If you haven't checked this game out, I can think of worse things to spend 12 bucks on.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Necro announced. My Dick is hard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
gently caress, skeletons are temp summons :(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zore posted:

gently caress, skeletons are temp summons :(
They're temp, but you'll get a full pack on nearly any group of white/yellow mobs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
how can you call yourself a necro if you can't get your skeletons to stay up

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Well i mean I call myself a man but i can't keep...uh...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Freakazoid_ posted:

if your skeletons stay up longer than 3 hours, call a doctor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yawgmoth posted:

if your skeletons stay up longer than 3 hours, call a doctor.

to brag????

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zore posted:

to brag????
Mostly, yes.

So I have this AAR build to try and make Raise the Dead useful. Does this seem like a decent build that could manage at least challenger crucible? Might pull a few points out of Hellfire to go harder into CoF/Vulnerability or something. Also debating between Bat and Fiend; Bat's ability is nice for some passive healing/damage, but Fiend probably does more for me in stats.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
drat, I'd forgotten just how much more synergy the Grim Dawn masteries have with each other compared to the Titan Quest masteries. Lots of combination ideas come out when looking at the GD skill trees, but the TQ trees just don't feel like they blend much at all, with a few exceptions.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
At the risk of being a double-posting jerk in addition to possibly rehashing a discussion from a while ago:

What towers are folks using in The Crucible? I'm guessing it'll vary by character type, but I'm having a hard time thinking of something better than just stacking the hell out of lightning towers for the resistance debuff with ranged characters and substituting in a defense tower to turtle onto for melee. Although given the lethality of ground-effect stuff in GD, I'm guessing I'd want to stay pretty mobile even as melee and it seems like the aura range on the buff towers is drat small.

I could kinda see the point of doing cold towers to space out the timing of mobs getting into my killzone or for kiting around nasty single-targets, but that's about it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Dr_Gee posted:

At the risk of being a double-posting jerk in addition to possibly rehashing a discussion from a while ago:

What towers are folks using in The Crucible? I'm guessing it'll vary by character type, but I'm having a hard time thinking of something better than just stacking the hell out of lightning towers for the resistance debuff with ranged characters and substituting in a defense tower to turtle onto for melee. Although given the lethality of ground-effect stuff in GD, I'm guessing I'd want to stay pretty mobile even as melee and it seems like the aura range on the buff towers is drat small.

I could kinda see the point of doing cold towers to space out the timing of mobs getting into my killzone or for kiting around nasty single-targets, but that's about it.

Last time I played the meta was to use Vanguard and Stonewall(?) banners exclusively. It's what I always did and it seemed to work well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jabarto posted:

Last time I played the meta was to use Vanguard and Stonewall(?) banners exclusively. It's what I always did and it seemed to work well.
Yeah I typically go 4x stonewall just because more defense is never bad. Can someone post what the various banners/archmage buffs do? I can never fully remember and of course the game has to be vague as poo poo about it.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah I typically go 4x stonewall just because more defense is never bad. Can someone post what the various banners/archmage buffs do? I can never fully remember and of course the game has to be vague as poo poo about it.

bam

Also, given that defenses are only temporary and aren't saved per map (I checked), they're probably only useful when you're doing a pretty long crucible run rather than just like,one for 30 minutes tops. Which is a bummer, since that's about all I've got these days for play-time and have spent so damned many tributes that way.

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

ssmagus posted:

That's not how savagery works, It only gives you 100% on the sixth hit. Aka only double auto attack damage. The first hit gives a 30% bonus, The second 50%.

That is also not how Savagery works. (The following also applies to Beronath's Fury and Mistborn Talisman)

The skill has three aspects: %weapon damage, all other built in flat damage, and other buffs (OA/DA). The buffs and the %weapon damage apply at 100% of their listed value from the first hit and don't increase with stacks. The flat damage scales with the listed steps. This means that for all intents and purposes, the charges can be ignored and Savagery does its primary job (insane %weapon damage) from the first hit.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Also, Crate did a dev stream showing the new classes and some of their skills and Inquisitors are grossly OP if they ship it as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did they give any sort of timeline for how long til it's out? I keep meaning to grind steam cards for that.