Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm not even sure what the joke would be if Gino said racist or sexist poo poo and everyone just agreed and moved on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Gino: *talking about his mom haveing sex* That bitch is constantly in heat.

Scott: Hey, no, we can't say that anymore.

Gino: Oh, sure, we can't say that.

Scott: No, the...Optics on the show are...bad....

Gino: Oh, well, I wouldn't want to upset the bad show optics. Of anyone, I feel like you should be able to call your own mom a bitch.

Three minutes later Gino starts talking about his mom and step-father fingering each other.

It's weird to step on the joke of him saying his mom is a bitch in heat, and clarifying that he's talking about a bitch in a canine capacity, but then let him talk about his parents fingering each other in a bathroom.

Again, it's been happening in a lot of recent episodes, and doesn't feel like Scott trying to wear a joke out or play straight man. But I could be wrong.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Who else has he done that to? Gabrus being sexist and racist is something that follows him around to like, every show he's on.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Including the one he hosts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm pretty sure I could hear him deciding not to say Michel Jackson raped children on the Love episode, honestly a pretty good decision on his part. Awfully thin stuff to base a conclusion that Johnny Scripps has banned profanity or w/e.
Also you can buy a Scripps hoodie now. For like, 50 bucks.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Scotty Ox is an Obama loving SJW.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
scotts best friend jontron is being character assassinated by the lamestream sjw media so he has to lay low

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Scotty Ox is an Obama loving SJW.

No way, he was super pro Trump the whole election season. Also comedy is totally all about using gendered slurs

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Listened to the first live SXSW show on howl. Bob Odenkirk is a guest on the first one, does his usual spectacular job of playing to while simultaneously hating the premise of the show. Jess McKenna kills it as always. And Seth Morris has a vey Seth Morris-y character. A great ep.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 15, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I imagine Scott grimacing on election night as the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme music starts playing in his mind and he thinks back to all the times in the past year he sarcastically showed support for DJT. He walks over and stares at the Oscar he won for directing a short-form comedy sketch supporting Obamacare. A single tear rolls down his cheek. I doubt the Hillary interview will bring home the hardware this year.

If Harris was alive to submit jokes for the Hillary ep, the election might have gone the other way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManoliIsFat posted:

Listened to the first live SXSW show on howl. Bob Odenkirk is a guest on the first one, does his usual spectacular job of playing to while simultaneously hating the premise of the show. Jess McKenna kills it as always. And Seth Morris has a vey Seth Morris-y character. A great ep.

I loved Bob's appearance as the parody character Neil Silverblatt. I wish it would come back, it was hilarious and short lived.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Tatumje posted:

I imagine Scott grimacing on election night as the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme music starts playing in his mind and he thinks back to all the times in the past year he sarcastically showed support for DJT. He walks over and stares at the Oscar he won for directing a short-form comedy sketch supporting Obamacare. A single tear rolls down his cheek. I doubt the Hillary interview will bring home the hardware this year.

If Harris was alive to submit jokes for the Hillary ep, the election might have gone the other way.

Harris would've had a key insight to win West Virginia.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Scotty will step on any joke involving loving kids. He shut down Gil ozeri quick during his last appearance

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Which is weird as hell, since Scotty was making most of those jokes for the first few years. During the video episode with Gilly and Garry Marshall and the plastic baby, Awkwardman gleefully keeps trying to finger the baby's rear end in a top hat.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, Maggie Simpson.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but, dude, she's so hot bro.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

No way, he was super pro Trump the whole election season. Also comedy is totally all about using gendered slurs

Trumpy!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Scotty will step on any joke involving loving kids. He shut down Gil ozeri quick during his last appearance

The kid detectives would disagree

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

AndrewP posted:

The Bachelor Brothers too, babe!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

AndrewP posted:

To be fair, that one was about kids loving other kids. Kids gotta get it on, you know.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It was pretty great to have Daly on with out Manzoukas forcing in a connection to Cactus Tony

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It was pretty great to have Daly on with out Manzoukas forcing in a connection to Cactus Tony

I wonder if August Lindt knows the night manager of a certain movie theater

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I think Mantzoukas and Daly can be fun together, but as impressive as Daly playing all the characters in the crossover was, it was still a pretty dire episode imo, and I feel like that would have been a good time to stop trying to create a Dalyverse. Even beyond Daly, I think worrying too much about continuity is a big part of where a lot of the established characters on CBB have gotten bogged down.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Review's new season is off to phenomenal start. Watch it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I think Mantzoukas and Daly can be fun together, but as impressive as Daly playing all the characters in the crossover was, it was still a pretty dire episode imo, and I feel like that would have been a good time to stop trying to create a Dalyverse. Even beyond Daly, I think worrying too much about continuity is a big part of where a lot of the established characters on CBB have gotten bogged down.

This, and spending twenty minutes to review their absurd backgrounds (and still getting them wrong). I like callbacks, Scott, not discourses on silly stories devoid of the context that makes them funny.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I liked the whole Mantzoukas and Daly Dalyverse thing. Not saying it needs to continue but I was into it at the time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

This, and spending twenty minutes to review their absurd backgrounds (and still getting them wrong). I like callbacks, Scott, not discourses on silly stories devoid of the context that makes them funny.

Let me tell you about Marissa Wompler's high school adventures.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Personally, I liked the whole Mantzoukas and Daly Dalyverse thing. Not saying it needs to continue but I was into it at the time.

I did too, I just felt like it hit its natural culmination, which was far less fun than the build-up, and it's time for them to try movingon.org from it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I did too, I just felt like it hit its natural culmination, which was far less fun than the build-up, and it's time for them to try movingon.org from it.
To be fair, that's true of most things. I agree that they should move on but I wouldn't mind some new Mant/Daly eps.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
now pretend I'm lenny kravitz. Ok, contest over.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Have they done any major continuation of the Dalyverse after those two episodes? I thought it was understood that those were going to be the end of that huge storyline.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Have they done any major continuation of the Dalyverse after those two episodes? I thought it was understood that those were going to be the end of that huge storyline.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that was the end. Scott alluded to it in the latest August Lindt ep and referred to is as a separate universe. It wouldn't surprise me if certain Daly characters come back but I doubt they'll have the same backstory.

I'm surprised that Daly never came on as Forrest MacNeil. I'm sure there' some rights issues but it'd be a good lead into the new season of Review. He'd be interesting in a game of Would You Rather.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Dalyverse is definitely closed/an alternate timeline because now August is a murderer instead of a happy-go-lucky sadsack. I didn't like that turn of events. August is supposed to be pathetic, not evil.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sinteres posted:

and I feel like that would have been a good time to stop trying to create a Dalyverse

IDK, I think Daly's characters are pretty essential to his comedy, even beyond CBB. All the standup I've ever seen of him is character bit based, his podcast series.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
There's a difference between doing characters and having them all be friends with "cactus tony" and in the habit of murdering women in "international waters" for "Satan."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ManoliIsFat posted:

IDK, I think Daly's characters are pretty essential to his comedy, even beyond CBB. All the standup I've ever seen of him is character bit based, his podcast series.

There's a difference between doing characters and having them all be friends with "cactus tony" and in the habit of murdering women in "international waters" for "Satan."

yea his characters are all funny, but not so funny when they get shoehorned into the same stale gimmick. Review is a great show but it would not be funny if Jason Mantzoukas showed up and said "hey, aren't you a serial killer?" and Forrest had to drop everything in order to play along

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Scott is more guilty of it than Jason since he does it all the time with other characters too

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Scott is more guilty of it than Jason since he does it all the time with other characters too

yea that's not meant as a slam on Jason. Just that he would be the one doing it since Scott's a big success now and doesn't need to go slumming on other people's shows

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the Zouks, Scott, and Daly dynamic was Scott and Jason just pushing Daly to "yes and" everything. I think it just snowballed and they went with it. I don't think it was planned out in anyway. I thought the absurd distance it went made it funnier. It's not something that should happen all the time but as it was, on it's own it was funny.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya, very true. But sandbagging improv is the highest level improv joke there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

The Dalyverse is definitely closed/an alternate timeline because now August is a murderer instead of a happy-go-lucky sadsack. I didn't like that turn of events. August is supposed to be pathetic, not evil.

This is probably my least favorite Andy Daly appearance so far for that very reason. August being a wide eyed pretzel maker with an absolutely unquenchable enthusiasm for wherever he goes and whatever he experiences really is the charm of the character to me.

Hell, on "The Andy Daly Pilot Podcast Project" I think Daly and Gourley explicitly discuss August being one of the only guys on the show who's not a violent sociopath.