Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmegin posted:

Probably quite a lot of British people are going to be down with vegemite given our own proclivities, yes.

Vegemite is Marmite for wimps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Marmite is watered down Vegemite.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's all literally dregs anyway.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
It you were to add Marmite to a beer brew, would the yeast get prion disease? Could you call the beer Mad Yeast Stout?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

rgocs posted:

It you were to add Marmite to a beer brew, would the yeast get prion disease? Could you call the beer Mad Yeast Stout?

I guess it depends if the yeast is feeding on the other yeast.

Marmite's a dead yeast, right? Or can you bring it back to life like a sea monkey?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Marmite's a dead yeast, right? Or can you bring it back to life like a sea monkey?

It's dead. Not just dead: deadly.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Suspect Bucket posted:

You would have to add sugar and an active yeast to get marmite/vegemite to ferment into alcohol

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have a specific restaurant in Kyoto I can recommend. It's vegan, 5 course of tofu. Gave me a new appreciation for tofu.
I'll dig up the menu.

Here you go, this place was specifically recommended by my Marketing Professor, a native Japanese guy.
This is in the middle of the ceramics district in Kyoto (where shop keepers go to buy the beckoning cats), so it's not really in the middle of the woods... but WHAT an illusion!

Frankly, the best meals I had in Japan, I was taken to by various local friends/classmates/colleagues. You probably aren't going to get into the really exclusive places without someone who speaks the language and knows the culture.
This place isn't very exclusive, it was just difficult to order without Japanese... and there are only two things on the menu.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Here you go, this place was specifically recommended by my Marketing Professor, a native Japanese guy.
This is in the middle of the ceramics district in Kyoto (where shop keepers go to buy the beckoning cats), so it's not really in the middle of the woods... but WHAT an illusion!

Frankly, the best meals I had in Japan, I was taken to by various local friends/classmates/colleagues. You probably aren't going to get into the really exclusive places without someone who speaks the language and knows the culture.
This place isn't very exclusive, it was just difficult to order without Japanese... and there are only two things on the menu.

That's pretty interesting / awesome. Thanks for digging it up!

I worry about the language / exclusivity thing. But, though it'll be my first trip to japan, I don't plan on it being my last, so not going to worry too much about it. But, I appreciate tips like this, which I would never have come across most likely. Anything similar anyone knows of in Tokyo also much appreciated. That's where I really worry I'll miss out on the cool poo poo. I'm game to just blindly wander and walk in to places though, so hoping that'll work out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DumbparameciuM posted:

You would have to add sugar and an active yeast to get marmite/vegemite to ferment into alcohol

Mmm, I'm sure it would be delicious! :barf:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

therattle posted:

Mmm, I'm sure it would be delicious! :barf:

Luck for us, someone has done the research so we don't have to!

Vegemite can be brewed into cheap form of beer, scientists say

:barf: indeed

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DumbparameciuM posted:

Why, God, why?!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What the hell is wrong with you people? Rotting cabbage, burning peppers, hanging raw meat in a closet and fizzing bacteria farm yoghurt is fine but vegemite beer is what makes you go 'ew gross'? Shame.

I'd drink it. Probably not great, but there are a lot of cheap lovely beers. There's a noble honesty about jailhouse hooch.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

DumbparameciuM posted:

They should make a stout outta this and age it on chanterelles in soy sauce barrels.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
are burritos in san francisco actually really good, beyond what you'd find in another major city with a hispanic population?

this is not a trick question. only been to sfo once and did not eat a burrito. need internet authority in a moral argument about burritos.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

mindphlux posted:

are burritos in san francisco actually really good, beyond what you'd find in another major city with a hispanic population?

this is not a trick question. only been to sfo once and did not eat a burrito. need internet authority in a moral argument about burritos.

Mission burritos are grand, and not everyone does them quite right. That said, places like chipotle and qdoba do a fair impression of a mediocre mission burrito. The very best are going to be named specials at some places in the actual mission district, if you're going for authenticity.

e: the hands-down best mission burrito i ever ate was in Berkeley, so :shrug:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

burrito "quality" is all about ingredients and assembly, two things that can ebb and flow over time at small businesses, even day to day depending on who's working, what suppliers came through, and a million other things. pointing to one taqueria or w/e like people do is usually a fool's errand and/or just clickbait for the kinds of people who won't go anywhere the internet doesn't tell them to

what makes the Bay good is there's a shitload of the kind of talent you can't really teach or recruit, dudes who grew up getting taught by their grandmas to make carnitas and mole and poo poo. that kind of skill can be found elsewhere too; it's just been here a little longer in greater quantity so the reputation is established.

plus it's a lot easier than most cities to find stuff like lengua and tripas; it's like a whole city that has the kind of selection you normally only find at specialty hispanic carnicerias

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

San Francisco burritos are forever inferior. The One True Burrito is from San Diego county and includes French fries. This is a moral truth as well.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Letting aged cheese melt in your mouth is one of life's great pleasures

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Mr. Wiggles posted:

San Francisco burritos are forever inferior. The One True Burrito is from San Diego county and includes French fries. This is a moral truth as well.

actually, some prefer one and some prefer the other, and most people like both. eat whichever one you like

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So what are y'alls opinion on chili ingredients? I like beans and pineapple!

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
That would be great if served with a side of pea guacamole

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

actually, some prefer one and some prefer the other, and most people like both. eat whichever one you like

:frogout: :gb2gbs:

:jiggled::jiggled::jiggled:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

I'm indifferent to True Chili Ingredients but that just looks disgusting.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lucky Peach is closing up shop :(

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Field Mousepad posted:

I'd be totally ok with this if it wasn't a piece of canned pineapple just half rear end thrown on top. It takes like 5 minutes to chop up a fresh pineapple. At least grill it or something drat.

RFC2324 posted:

This looks legit amazing

The hell is wrong with PYF.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Croatoan posted:

If that was a pork chili with al pastor-style seasoning I'd be all for it

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The hell is wrong with PYF.

Lots of things.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

vermin posted:

Letting pr0k's mom melt in your mouth is one of life's great pleasures

fixed that for you :discourse:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

esperantinc posted:

Lucky Peach is closing up shop :(

Yes & No. it could have a future, but it hasn't got much of a present.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

:krust::hf::burgerpug:

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Mindphlux, if you're coming to Tokyo, you're going for monja/okonomiyaki with me. Monjayaki is a Tokyo Bay area creation, thinner and more soupy than okonomiyaki.
There's also a surprisingly large group of goons here that are good people off the forum, who are always up for an impromptu goon meet!
Don't have PM capability, but I'm happy to answer questions and help out with anything else. Get me omegabeardsa at that google domain.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eating food in Thailand this week has me very sad about Thai food in the us.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eating food in Thailand this week has me very sad about Thai food in the us.

Tell us about it. I like what is ostensibly offered as Thai food in the US, and my wife is bananas for it, but every time we eat it I feel like there's just something missing.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The where to eat thread looks like it's dead. I got a few good recommendations, but looking for some more. Anybody have recommendations for Vancouver, Seattle and Portland? Don't like seafood, so as long as it's not exclusively that, I'm good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The where to eat thread looks like it's dead. I got a few good recommendations, but looking for some more. Anybody have recommendations for Vancouver, Seattle and Portland? Don't like seafood, so as long as it's not exclusively that, I'm good.

Well speaking of Thai food and Portland, pok pok is good.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

In Vancouver (assuming you mean Vancouver BC and not WA).

More recent place I have been to is The Flying Pig (http://theflyingpigvan.com/) for brunch, I had the corned beef hash and it was quite good. It helped that the server played/entertained our 1.5 year old daughter during the whole thing, so it was quite a pleasant time!

I also liked Pidgin (http://www.pidginvancouver.com/) enough to bring my brother when they visited; I think they changed management, so not sure if this is different, but when we went the prix fix menu would be expanded with more variety the more people were at the table. Which was a good thing, instead of just getting the same 5 dishes (for 2 people), we ended up getting, I think, 9 different ones (for 4 people).

I've heard good things about The MacKenzie Room (http://www.themackenzieroom.com/) which is on my todo list. Also on my todo list is Frets Whisky Kitchen (http://www.whiskykitchen.ca/), apparently they have a stupidly large selection of whisky and the food is good too.

Les Faux Burgeois (http://www.lesfauxbourgeois.com/) is a not crazy-expensive good French food restaurant. L'Abattoir (https://www.labattoir.ca/) has a French-touch, but is local fare food, and quite good. We have repeated these two.

Vij's (http://www.vijs.ca) has good modern-Indian cuisine. They don't take reservations, so you have to be there before 5pm and line up to get a table. If you don't get into the first seating, you can order drinks while you wait and they will serve you bite-size appetizers too.

If you want really upscale, there's Hawksworth restaurant (https://hawksworthrestaurant.com/). Went there a while back, but it was good and has a good rep, on the expensive side though. Another upscale restaurant that I quite liked was Lupo (http://www.luporestaurant.ca/), they had a good selection of wine and the food was good, though it was also a while ago and I can't quite remember what I had.

For more day-to-day eating out. There's plenty of vietnamese restaurants with good pho. There is a great dosa place called House of Dosa on Kingsway and Knight that has great Indian/Sri-Lankan food. Dim Sum is also a thing to eat here, served around 10am-1pm, we sometimes go to Sun Sui Wah (http://www.sunsuiwah.ca/) on Main street, or to Kirin on Cambie (http://www.kirinrestaurants.com/). Banana Leaf (https://www.bananaleaf-vancouver.com/) has pretty good Malaysian food, they have good lunch menus.

I could go on, but maybe say more what kind of food and dining you want to do.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Look what someone left in the garbage room:

http://imgur.com/a/zYgzM

You can see in the photos I've already cleaned the first two (Bar Keeper's Friend!), but I'm not sure what to do with the Calphalon, or if I even want it. I'm not even sure what kind of material it is exactly.

Edit: I believe this is the All-Clad but I can't be sure, there's no model number on it.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 20, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HappyHippo posted:

Look what someone left in the garbage room:

http://imgur.com/a/zYgzM
Holy poo poo where do you live that people throw away perfectly good All-Clads

quote:

You can see in the photos I've already cleaned the first two (Bar Keeper's Friend!), but I'm not sure what to do with the Calphalon, or if I even want it. I'm not even sure what kind of material it is exactly.
It's non-stick, throw it away if it has any scuffs or big scratches on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Man I would love that particular all clad