Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
tfw you trigger a flurry attack when your weapon is about to break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FirstAidKite posted:

I know they weren't the greatest games in the world by any means, but imo it's kind of a shame how xenosaga never got to finish what it set out to do and instead, due to the mismanagement or whatever, they ended up having to wrap up early 3 games in without even getting to do a lot of the other stuff they wanted to do with that series.

This frankly ended up being better for the series because Xenosaga 3 was completely insane and kind of brilliant.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's also a shield parry which feels insanely win against lynels and sandblight ganon or whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they should call it Switch Time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not a Children posted:

It wasn't even that hard as long as you don't just throw yourself at enemies and try to tank damage

Yeah, it's just tense because you have no armor and none of your precooked mega food so you'll die more quickly than usual if hit. It was really fun and made me use tactics I hadn't needed to use since the earliest parts of the game.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MMF Freeway posted:

tfw you trigger a flurry attack when your weapon is about to break

Switch weapons during the slow motion

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Another BotW weapon durability debate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only durability system I've liked was in dark souls II, but even then weapons didn't degrade fast enough and that game was a turd in most other ways

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's a zelda game that has weapon durability but they also give you the optional questline to remove it and it rules. that's right. it's majora's mask

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oddium posted:

there's also a shield parry which feels insanely win against lynels and sandblight ganon or whatever

I always forget about perfect guard, I always opt for dodging instead. On thunderblight ganon I think you're talking about? I just did a regular block of his quick attack, he leaves a huge window open for you to wail on him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

The only durability system I've liked was in dark souls II, but even then weapons didn't degrade fast enough and that game was a turd in most other ways

I don't like weapon durability in the Souls/Bloodborne games because you have to sink resources into upgrading your weapons, so when they're low on durability it's even worse to need to use something else. In Zelda, you don't have to do that, so you can just throw away broken stuff guilt-free.

Durability has exactly no reason to exist in Bloodborne especially because non-Tonitrus weapons degrade so slowly you barely ever have to repair them, but you still have to repair them once or twice, and it just feels like it didn't need to be there at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

This frankly ended up being better for the series because Xenosaga 3 was completely insane and kind of brilliant.

Even with the praise 3 gets, I know I'm never gonna play it because that just how bad 2 ruined the games for me lol.

I'm sure it was better for the series given what happened to it in the first and second games, but I still would have liked to have seen what they could have put out if they had the finances, proper management skill, and time to make exactly what they wanted to make.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You're right that Xenosaga 2 kind of deflated everything. I was pretty ambivalent on XS1 despite finishing and never even got more than a few hours into XS2, it was that boring. I think the greatly compressed timeline of XS3 ended up being healthier for the series because they could finally throw off all pretenses of making sense and just go balls to the wall crazy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope the next major Zelda game keeps Breath of the Wild's world design philosophy and focus on player freedom, but I also hope it brings back full dungeons. The Divine Beasts are fun as basically giant shrines and I like how they all have ways for you to mess with the level geometry by rotating them or moving them in some way but I miss the way the best Zelda dungeons can iterate on a theme and have these big, intricate layouts.

I also have no idea how they'd ever do something like this again, because I suspect if they just made another big, open overworld with total player freedom in exploration, it would never capture the same wonder of discovery. I think a very different setting could help, though, like if they returned to the open ocean and did Wind Waker again, but this time with much cooler and more elaborate islands to find. Maybe a whole ship at your command instead of just a small boat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Keep the theme that Breath of the Wild was a remake of the NES Legend of Zelda and remake Adventure of Link as Legend of Zelda: Dark Souls edition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I just like it when later installments of games give up on trying to be self-serious and just go all in with the insanity. Past a certain point that's the only reasonable direction to take it, video game logic only holds together for so long and you have to up the ante in every sequel. This was true of XS3, Lightning Returns, and of course the incredibly good FFX-2.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i hope they bring back good music

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Breath of the Wild has great music, just not a lot of it. I'm glad there's not much prominent background music for general exploration because I think it would get old given how much time you spend running around, but I do wish that the dungeons and bosses had totally unique music instead of different instrumentations of the same music.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

do the dungeons have the same music and also where can i find the zora one. it doesn't seem to be anywhere and it's the only original (?) song from the game i remember

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Breath of the Wild has great music, just not a lot of it. I'm glad there's not much prominent background music for general exploration because I think it would get old given how much time you spend running around, but I do wish that the dungeons and bosses had totally unique music instead of different instrumentations of the same music.

I was relieved I wouldn't have to listen to the same triumphant loving theme for 50 hours so the ambiance was a tremendously welcome change. More games could learn from this , particularly XCX which was intent on driving you insane with its godawful 30 to 60 second loops of horrid music

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

do the dungeons have the same music and also where can i find the zora one. it doesn't seem to be anywhere and it's the only original (?) song from the game i remember

Actually maybe the dungeons have different music, but the bosses have the same music with different instrumentation. I do like that the dungeon music changes with every terminal you activate, though.

By the Zora music, do you mean the ambient music from the dungeon, or the music played when you do the ice block/shock arrow fight before you enter? If you want that one, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTTZgfX2jA

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was relieved I wouldn't have to listen to the same triumphant loving theme for 50 hours so the ambiance was a tremendously welcome change. More games could learn from this , particularly XCX which was intent on driving you insane with its godawful 30 to 60 second loops of horrid music

The only horrid thing here is your posting, young trouser press.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I liked the battle music and one of the themes that played in the final boss fight was really good. The Zora's Domain/Dragon Roost/Hyrule Castle themes were good too

Also I thought the soundtrack barely being there during exploration worked really well

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

no i want the clockworky corrupted music from inside the dungeon. i don't think the other three use it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I appreciate that when you get to Death Mountain a low key variant of the original NES Death Mountain theme plays.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I can recreate the entire wind waker overworld theme in my head and am, in fact, doing it now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

no i want the clockworky corrupted music from inside the dungeon. i don't think the other three use it

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamI9BnA2xI

It changes with each terminal and that channel has all five versions.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I noticed a little easter egg while playing Love You To Bits...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it think it was banjo kazooie that had jaunty level music but then you go to the highest parts and the music fades and it's just wind whistling. things like that, the absence of music to underscore things, feel more powerful to me than the ~beauty of simplicity~

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamI9BnA2xI

It changes with each terminal and that channel has all five versions.

yesssssss this rules thanks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

it think it was banjo kazooie that had jaunty level music but then you go to the highest parts and the music fades and it's just wind whistling. things like that, the absence of music to underscore things, feel more powerful to me than the ~beauty of simplicity~

I just think more prominent overworld music would get old. It's not even some sort of "it's more artful this way" thing, I just know that I'd get tired of hearing the same music during the hours and hours of overworld exploration. Even if each region had its own music it'd still get repetitive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Xeno 2 was the last time I preordered a game.

Unrelated, but how bad is the weapon durability thing in the new Zelda? I heard that some people are really mad about it so I'm wondering how bad it actually is.

Its fine but imo they break about 3 times too fast so combat gets paused for menus all the time and the quick menus dont support dropping bows/shields or other features that would keep you out of the inventory screen in the middle of a fight.

If they pump out a sequel one day it could handle a few really annoying things much better and be an even better game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i guess i would rather have no music than bad music yeah. but i feel nintendo could have done better :hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, if they managed to make enough music, and appropriate enough music, that having constant background music while exploring the overworld didn't get old, that'd be a goddamn miracle. As it is, though, I think that's probably unrealistic given how huge the world is and how much of your game time is spent just running around it, so the sort of subtle ambient piano stuff is probably the right call.

And on the "it's more artful this way" side of things, not having the Hyrule Field music or something makes it all the more noticeable and cool when that melody shows up in a couple of places, like when Kass plays it or when it plays in Hyrule Castle.

If they ever end up making an open ocean sailing Zelda again, though, they better adapt the Wind Waker sailing music for sailing around, though. Cut the music when you're on land or not actively sailing the ship but when you are, that Great Sea music better be blaring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6fWatK_k0

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love the way they use music in the new zelda! The game has really great like nature sounds and footsteps and stuff, so the open world music was designed to complement that instead of overpower it. And when the music does fully kick in it always feels really good!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Also like, all that world sound stuff has a gameplay purpose, especially if you're playing with pro-HUD. It helps you find animals to hunt and lets you know how loud you're being during stealth. There was no way they were going to drown that out with music.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i went out of my to listen to white orchard while exploring most of zelda and it ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4tYZHNUY8

if i could have gotten the wind waker battle music to dynamically fade for battles too...

:discourse:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Also like, all that world sound stuff has a gameplay purpose, especially if you're playing with pro-HUD. It helps you find animals to hunt and lets you know how loud you're being during stealth. There was no way they were going to drown that out with music.

I'm trying to use the pro HUD now that I'm towards the end and it's nice, but I need just a little more than what it gives if I'm gonna use it full time. What I'd want:
  • A small compass where the minimap is in the normal HUD, just so it's easy to find north.
  • Some indication of what rune I currently have selected. Even if the Sheikah slate just softly glows some sort of color on Link's character model to indicate it (blue for bombs, magenta for Magnesis, yellow for Stasis, white/light blue for Cryonis, green for camera), that'd be enough. It doesn't have to be a UI element.
  • Taller pins so that I can see them over trees and shorter mountains, and also zoom settings for the Sheikah slate's scope. I know I can use the camera rune for shorter scoping and the scope for longer distances but I wish the scope just had multiple zoom settings.
Do that and I'm totally sold on the pro HUD. Maybe have one last "minimal" HUD setting that is what the pro HUD is now if the compass is too obtrusive. Maybe even a "no HUD" setting and just have some other indication when Link is low on hearts because I know some people would love to play with absolutely no visible UI elements on the screen. (Maybe it'd just be simpler to let the player turn HUD elements off and on individually at that point so why not, if I'm already making a wishlist :v:)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you should be on the camera rune all the time​ because the real fun of the game is completing your pokemon snap book. switch to magnesis to put a ball in a hole, get korok seed, switch back to camera, carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I don't like weapon durability in the Souls/Bloodborne games because you have to sink resources into upgrading your weapons, so when they're low on durability it's even worse to need to use something else. In Zelda, you don't have to do that, so you can just throw away broken stuff guilt-free.

Durability has exactly no reason to exist in Bloodborne especially because non-Tonitrus weapons degrade so slowly you barely ever have to repair them, but you still have to repair them once or twice, and it just feels like it didn't need to be there at all.

The reason I liked it in 2 is that everything else was poorly balanced so it was stupid easy to have 3 or 4 maxed out weapons that are more fragile and encouraged you to swap between them

• Locked thread