Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Friend posted:

I assumed I had hosed up something with the unplug, but I hoped it was minor. It starts up totally normal except for a message that says
code:
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Others online have fixed this by hitting alt-ctrl-F1 but that does nothing for me. So I'm definitely screwed?

If you want to save the existing files you can either SSH in to the zero and copy them off, or use a Linux virtual machine to mount the image of your MicroSD card and copy the files off that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Portland Sucks posted:

I'm about to finish work on a web scraping python script I'd like to keep running in the background for a couple of days. I've got a Pi3 sitting around I was thinking about using to host the process while dumping the stream to a DB on my NAS. Assuming I'm not overflowing the ram is the CPU on this thing going to be a potential bottle neck versus just hosting it on AWS?

The CPU is definitely a bottleneck when compared to even the smallest AWS instance, if you're not concerned about performance the rpi will work just fine though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What kind of runtime can I expect out of a Zero W running on a usb battery pack? Thinking about making a timelapse camera.

Obviously it'll depend on how often I'm taking pictures, if I'm uploading, etc, but anyone have any experience running any Pi like this?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

According to this the Pi Zero W idles at 120ma, pulls 170ma watching 1080p video and 230mah shooting 1080p video. So if it's intermittent, assuming an average of something like 150ma, a 10000mah battery like this one would run for ~66 hours before needing a recharge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

What kind of runtime can I expect out of a Zero W running on a usb battery pack? Thinking about making a timelapse camera.

Obviously it'll depend on how often I'm taking pictures, if I'm uploading, etc, but anyone have any experience running any Pi like this?

Here's a chart of the average current draw for various scenarios on the various Pis (all figures quoted with 5.19 volt input, presumably because it makes the numbers look a bit neater):

Each hour of your proposed workload should take up between 0.67 and 0.88 watthours of energy. At absolute minimum it would use 0.62 watthours per hour.

So, using a standard 8000 milliamphour nominal capacity battery pack, like you can buy at any retail store for $25, you should probably be able to get around 36-40 hours of use? Even if the PI Zero W was running near full tilt processing the whole time, that should still get you around 24 hours of usage between charges when the battery pack is new and hasn't started losing capacity between charges. These numbers don't include what power the wifi chipset might use, so maybe knock off another couple hours from all figures to account for extra current demanded by the wireless chipset. That'd still leave you well over a day of use in most scenarios though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How is the Zero W using less power on 1080p playback than the Zero?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

How is the Zero W using less power on 1080p playback than the Zero?

It's not, it uses more power. As to using slightly less power for encoding, it's probably an artifact of rounding.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I'm assuming making a retro gaming system with a pi is pretty easy? Assuming I have all the games legally already, but don't have the systems anymore. I'm specially talking about for Snes

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

LionArcher posted:

So I'm assuming making a retro gaming system with a pi is pretty easy? Assuming I have all the games legally already, but don't have the systems anymore. I'm specially talking about for Snes

I'm a dumbass and I was able to do it. I followed this guide. Instead of the USB to Micro USB adapter he suggests, get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015GZOHKW/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LionArcher posted:

You don't have to own the games for the ROMs if you promise Bill Clinton you'll delete them within 24 hours

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'm going to repurpose the Pi3 I've been using for Nvidia Game Stream to a simple OpenELEC/kodi box.

I want to image the sd card to a file and rsync the IMG file to my server in case I ever decide to revert it back to a game streaming Pi again. It's got a 16GB microSD in it and I'd like to create the image ignoring unused space because I'm only using about 4GB of the 16GB card.

Would something like this be OK:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22524

Or is there a more widespread and elegant solution?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

apropos man posted:

I'm going to repurpose the Pi3 I've been using for Nvidia Game Stream to a simple OpenELEC/kodi box.

I want to image the sd card to a file and rsync the IMG file to my server in case I ever decide to revert it back to a game streaming Pi again. It's got a 16GB microSD in it and I'd like to create the image ignoring unused space because I'm only using about 4GB of the 16GB card.

Just use a standard disk imaging program like Clonezilla.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

apropos man posted:

Pi Baker can do something like this, dunno about the free space thing though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

Here's a chart of the average current draw for various scenarios on the various Pis (all figures quoted with 5.19 volt input, presumably because it makes the numbers look a bit neater):

Wow the Zero W is very competitive with the A+ plus it has onboard wifi and Bluetooth. I've never been able to setup a TCP/IP link over Bluetooth but it looks like it'd make a great low power robotics controller. My A+ had a janky 4 port unpowered hub hanging off it to do wifi (general file transfer) and Bluetooth (PS3 controller)

It would be nice if they actually ship these in quantity where I can buy one in a store for under $50 someday

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Do you mean you're only using a bit of the partition or that the partition is only a bit of the disk? If the partition is small just read from it directly (e.g. /dev/sda1 not /dev/sda.) If you mean only part of the partition is used you need to mount it and do a copy at the filesystem level as opposed to block level.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hadlock posted:

Wow the Zero W is very competitive with the A+ plus it has onboard wifi and Bluetooth. I've never been able to setup a TCP/IP link over Bluetooth but it looks like it'd make a great low power robotics controller. My A+ had a janky 4 port unpowered hub hanging off it to do wifi (general file transfer) and Bluetooth (PS3 controller)

It would be nice if they actually ship these in quantity where I can buy one in a store for under $50 someday

FWIW, I picked one up at the Microcenter in St. Louis, MO. They had dozens of them just sitting in a basket for $10.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I picked one up at the Microcenter in St. Louis, MO. They had dozens of them just sitting in a basket for $10.

Man I miss Microcenter.

I still have a Pi B 256 collecting dust, really should find some use for it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moey posted:

Man I miss Microcenter.

If you ship it to me I'll build it into a computer for my 5yo niece.

I learned BASIC on an 8086 when I was 5 so I'm pretty sure she can start on something like Scratch or draw pixel art in Pico-8.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Moey posted:

Man I miss Microcenter.

Wire it into your Roomba and a wifi dongle and control it through the internet

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any particular gotchas I should be aware of when deploying Pi-hole? I'm considering setting one up at my parent's place to minimize their exposure to ad/malware but before I do so I want to make sure I'm not just opening myself up to more hassle because it's a particularly finicky solution.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IAmKale posted:

Are there any particular gotchas I should be aware of when deploying Pi-hole? I'm considering setting one up at my parent's place to minimize their exposure to ad/malware but before I do so I want to make sure I'm not just opening myself up to more hassle because it's a particularly finicky solution.

You need to whitelist a couple things for quality of life. I can't remember the exact domains right now but YouTube will stop recording history (which is useful for some people) if you don't unblock a domain there, and windows 10 won't update (even manually) without unlocking a few. There's also the thing that the top result on google is almost always a paid listing but those can be useful anyway, and when clicking those you get an error about the website being blocked which can be frustrating for someone that's not computer savvy.

I really like the pihole on my home connection but my parents would be really confused if they clicked google search results and they came up with a website blocked error.

Installing ad block plugins in their browsers might be a better idea.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

IAmKale posted:

If they're just using regular laptops or desktops, it'll be easier to simply install the same sort of hosts file blocking method directly to their computers.

Also don't forget that power outages can corrupt the Pi's storage and make it unbootable, which will be a problem for them in a normal Pihole setup. You might want to prepare a second SD card and tell them how to replace it, so that they can get back up and running quickly after the original SD card gets corrupted.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
A few weeks ago, I bought a RPi for a very simple use case: It should play / "render" music that is streamed from my Diskstation DS213j via UPnP or Airplay on a wi-fi connection.

Currently, I have tried LibreElec, OpenElec, Volumio, RuneAudio and Raspbian with some installed packages.

All of them seem to have issues with reliably playing the stream. Some just stop playing, some just enter a state where the music just stutters along, some regularly lose the WiFi connection. LibreElec worked the best. But sometimes the stuttering hits and I don't want to put up with that.

Do the available distros just have a lovely UPnP implementation? UPnP itself doesn't seem to be that great of a protocol either. Or is the Diskstation lovely? I am having a hard time finding the cause of the issues here.
Network congestion is not an issue, as is CPU load of the Diskstation.

So, is there a kind of "best practice" to set up UPnP on a Raspberry PI?

In case that doesn't work out, how would I go about using the RPi via Bluetooth (with an iPhone or iPad)? Out of the box, the distros seem to only use the reverse use case (RPi as source, some other device as sink).

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I've had trouble with the uPnP on my diskstation in the past - I typically just run it as a samba share and map the network location to my rPI. No trouble with that setup.

It's almost certainly a wildly antiquated practice, but I figure if it works then do it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neco posted:

A few weeks ago, I bought a RPi for a very simple use case: It should play / "render" music that is streamed from my Diskstation DS213j via UPnP or Airplay on a wi-fi connection.

UPnP doesn't stream anything itself, did you mean DLNA, the standard for interoperability of media streaming that builds on top of UPNP? Searching for DLNA should get you better results.

The only thing UPNP actually does on its own is configure external port communication for routers, and some minor identification of devices on the network to other devices on the network.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Alucard posted:

I've had trouble with the uPnP on my diskstation in the past - I typically just run it as a samba share and map the network location to my rPI. No trouble with that setup.

It's almost certainly a wildly antiquated practice, but I figure if it works then do it.

I think I will give this another shot! Currently it also skips but I guess that's because it's still busy indexing. It's a pity I cannot just use the DS Audio apps this way.

fishmech posted:

UPnP doesn't stream anything itself, did you mean DLNA, the standard for interoperability of media streaming that builds on top of UPNP? Searching for DLNA should get you better results.

The only thing UPNP actually does on its own is configure external port communication for routers, and some minor identification of devices on the network to other devices on the network.

Thanks for that piece of information, all blogs seem to use the two term interchangeably.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

The Zero is basically an overclocked A+ with miniaturized I/O, and a Zero W is just that plus a radio, so yeah if you're doing what you want currently with an A+ you could definitely switch over with minimal pain.

quote:

Also just walked in to my Microcenter and the first time they had a pile on the shelves, the second time they had them behind the front service area where you had to ask but they still had over a dozen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can you connect multiple bluetooth gamepads to a pi and use them at the same time? Four would be great, 2 would be just fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Can you connect multiple bluetooth gamepads to a pi and use them at the same time? Four would be great, 2 would be just fine.

Should work just fine. A Bluetooth piconet can contain up to 8 active devices at once, so 7 controllers attached to the host would be the technical limit assuming you weren't using Bluetooth for anything else.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Should work just fine. A Bluetooth piconet can contain up to 8 active devices at once, so 7 controllers attached to the host would be the technical limit assuming you weren't using Bluetooth for anything else.

Awesome, thanks! I've got a microcenter near me and for whatever reason have a micro-HDMI cable laying around, plus a bluetooth gamepad, so picking up a Pi Zero W and turning it into an emulation station seems like something I basically have to do.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you want to do emulation I would STRONGLY recommend choosing a Pi 3 instead. The Zero is painful even to browse the web on. If you want to emulate anything better than maybe a SNES you're going to want the faster processor and more RAM.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yeah the Zero blows dick for emulation, when I tried it you could just about get by with 16-bit consoles but games like Starfox would run absolutely terrible and MAME was a distant dream.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

If you want to do emulation I would STRONGLY recommend choosing a Pi 3 instead. The Zero is painful even to browse the web on. If you want to emulate anything better than maybe a SNES you're going to want the faster processor and more RAM.

SNES is just about the latest I really want to emulate. I had an extra SD card and somehow all the dongles & cables needed, picked up a W on the way home from grocery shopping for $10. Worst case scenario is I repurpose a $10 investment :shrug:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I have tried off and on over the last 12 years (not joking, first device I got was in 2005) to make UPnP / DLNA music devices work and have completely given up. It's just a terrible protocol. There's a reason Sonos, Apple, etc. and other good systems rolled their own thing. IMHO it's not worth pain trying to keep making it work. Just use a bluetooth speaker for flexibility or get a chromecast audio. Neither are great but both are leaps and bounds ahead of DLNA.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
SSH ought to be enough for anyone

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/g-sps-5v-switching-power-supply-v102.html

Is there an Alibaba product similar to this, but with support for up to 19v in?

I want a single power wire solution to power a raspberry pi mounted to a screen by sharing power from a small monitor or TV's barrel jack and splitting it, which are typically 19v (sample size of 2).

What keywords should I search for? What is this product called?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-Mini-DC-DC-12-24V-To-5V-3A-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Module-Voltage-Buck/32758763577.html

Bonus: you can combine with these guys to get ethernet to the Pi, too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...2695459204.html

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
After loving around with the Zero W for emulation....I ended up picking up a Pi 3. :lol: It was fine but GBA games had major issues and Microcenter was selling the 3 for $30 and I have apparently no willpower. Gonna solder some header pins on the W and use it for some automation stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

After loving around with the Zero W for emulation....I ended up picking up a Pi 3. :lol: It was fine but GBA games had major issues and Microcenter was selling the 3 for $30 and I have apparently no willpower. Gonna solder some header pins on the W and use it for some automation stuff.

Ironically I bought another Zero W today. I'm now up to three of which two are already earmarked for specific projects, but I haven't had time to even boot a single one up.

I'm kinda wishing I had picked up another 3 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm starting to resent ppl who have Microcenters.