Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

That's almost too cute that it's the same number if it's not a typo.

I'm super new, what am i looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elblanco posted:

I'm super new, what am i looking at?

Near the upper right corner you see the 1 and 0 symbol that commonly indicates a power switch on electronic equipment. This is the set marker for the Core set. Each cycle of data packs and each deluxe expansion has its own symbol. Now look at Chaos Theory on netrunnerdb:

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/02046

Look at the number in the upper right. Same number, but the symbol is the waves that show this card is from the Genesis Cycle.

This is interesting because there have been rumors of a new core set that would be made up of cards that already exist. Since Core set will never rotate out, this lets FFG save cards from Genesis and Spin Cycle (and other sets when they rotate out later) by putting them in the Core set. They can also remove cards from the Core set such as Astroscript Pilot Program and Noise that have an outsized influence on the game and replace them with cards that aren't as disruptive.

CT being marked as a Core card implies that there is a new Core in the works that replaces Kate with Chaos Theory as the Shaper runner.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

There's a core set symbol on it rather than a genesis cycle symbol

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Who else would you pick as the new core set runners? Corps?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'd be surprised if Core 2.0 used the same set symbol. My bet is misprint.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Who else would you pick as the new core set runners? Corps?

Gonna assume we stick with stuff that'll cycle out, so the first two cycles.

Anarchs is tough as the only one that's kind of "easy" to slot places is Whizzard, and I'd only put him in if they reduced his reccuring credits or reworked him. Reina kind of works but with the fragile economy of the Core set she might be super strong in a solely Core 2.0 environment.

Criminal can stay with Gabe, he's easy and spells out Criminal playstyle. I am basically the only human being alive who doesn't like Andromeda though.

Corp is a lot harder because most of their early IDs suck. HB has to essentially rework EtF because Stronger Together sucks, but EtF is too good. Weyland stays with BaBW. NBN could go either way, but I doubt anyone would shed a tear for The World is Yours. Jinteki kinda has to stay with PE as RP is a real pain in the rear end for new players.

This is, of course, hugely dependant on what cards are in the new Core set and if FFG make any balance changes to cards. I would imagine they'd put in more economy cards like Restructure, and madly hope for Jackson Howard.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

Near the upper right corner you see the 1 and 0 symbol that commonly indicates a power switch on electronic equipment. This is the set marker for the Core set. Each cycle of data packs and each deluxe expansion has its own symbol. Now look at Chaos Theory on netrunnerdb:

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/02046

Look at the number in the upper right. Same number, but the symbol is the waves that show this card is from the Genesis Cycle.

This is interesting because there have been rumors of a new core set that would be made up of cards that already exist. Since Core set will never rotate out, this lets FFG save cards from Genesis and Spin Cycle (and other sets when they rotate out later) by putting them in the Core set. They can also remove cards from the Core set such as Astroscript Pilot Program and Noise that have an outsized influence on the game and replace them with cards that aren't as disruptive.

CT being marked as a Core card implies that there is a new Core in the works that replaces Kate with Chaos Theory as the Shaper runner.

Thanks for the info! It would be cool to see a new core set, though would that make the old one rotate? I JUST got mine, though since they haven't announced anything yet, it would probably be a while before a new one comes out.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Elblanco posted:

Thanks for the info! It would be cool to see a new core set, though would that make the old one rotate? I JUST got mine, though since they haven't announced anything yet, it would probably be a while before a new one comes out.

The old cards would still be valid where appropriate. Like, your Sure Gambles aren't going anywhere... I would imagine for most people they wont need a new core, it's just that some cards from the first few cycles will remain valid and other cards from core will leave.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am thinking of selling my Netrunner collection (2x core, 80% of the first four cycles), as I never get to play it really.

I'm hoping a new much more balance core set does come out, I'd love to just buy 1 one of those and enjoy a much more balanced core set experience than have a bazillion cards. I kind of came into this game late, bought too many cards, and ugh never got around to learning them due to being overwhelmed.

I'd rather play this game more as a board game than as a OWN EVERY CARD game, as I will never play this non-casually.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jeeves posted:

I am thinking of selling my Netrunner collection (2x core, 80% of the first four cycles), as I never get to play it really.

I'm hoping a new much more balance core set does come out, I'd love to just buy 1 one of those and enjoy a much more balanced core set experience than have a bazillion cards. I kind of came into this game late, bought too many cards, and ugh never got around to learning them due to being overwhelmed.

I'd rather play this game more as a board game than as a OWN EVERY CARD game, as I will never play this non-casually.

You are going to absolutely LOVE Terminal Directive, then. It's essentially a Legacy-style board game using a sealed NetRunner pool.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

You are going to absolutely LOVE Terminal Directive, then. It's essentially a Legacy-style board game using a sealed NetRunner pool.

I'm considering selling my complete collection too, but I'm pretty hyped for Terminal Directive and wonder what a full card pool will do for the decks you use there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plavski posted:

I'm considering selling my complete collection too, but I'm pretty hyped for Terminal Directive and wonder what a full card pool will do for the decks you use there.

Completely replace them with whatever Anarch and NBN poo poo is dominating the game at the moment is what it will do.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Midjack posted:

Completely replace them with whatever Anarch and NBN poo poo is dominating the game at the moment is what it will do.

You have to use the IDs in the box to play the game, so Crim/Shaper Weyland/HB are the order of the day. The recommendation is TD + one Core Set, but it will be interesting seeing what deck strats appear for the game standalone.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The Deleter posted:

Gonna assume we stick with stuff that'll cycle out, so the first two cycles.

Anarchs is tough as the only one that's kind of "easy" to slot places is Whizzard, and I'd only put him in if they reduced his reccuring credits or reworked him. Reina kind of works but with the fragile economy of the Core set she might be super strong in a solely Core 2.0 environment.

Criminal can stay with Gabe, he's easy and spells out Criminal playstyle. I am basically the only human being alive who doesn't like Andromeda though.

Corp is a lot harder because most of their early IDs suck. HB has to essentially rework EtF because Stronger Together sucks, but EtF is too good. Weyland stays with BaBW. NBN could go either way, but I doubt anyone would shed a tear for The World is Yours. Jinteki kinda has to stay with PE as RP is a real pain in the rear end for new players.

This is, of course, hugely dependant on what cards are in the new Core set and if FFG make any balance changes to cards. I would imagine they'd put in more economy cards like Restructure, and madly hope for Jackson Howard.
I totally called Chaos Theory for Kate a few months ago :v:

You can't rework Whizzard, that would defeat the whole point of Core 2.0. The cleanest Anarch sub would actually be Null since he works so well with the Core breakers, it's just a shame he's in the wrong cycle. So you're kinda left with Reina by default. Which is fine, she has a pretty generic and flexible ability, which is what you want in a Core ID. she'd just need a little support. Swap in Xanadu instead of Ice Carver, maybe.

Corp-wise the IDs are all kinda fine except ETF, I think. If you had to pick an ID from Spin or Lunar it would be The Foundry but that's a total mindfuck for newbies with the ABT interaction so maybe you'd stay away. So like you say, it's Stronger Together by default.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
http://imgur.com/a/C3aOF

Station One spoilers, whoa boy, Netrunner is getting good and wild again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ElNarez posted:

http://imgur.com/a/C3aOF

Station One spoilers, whoa boy, Netrunner is getting good and wild again.

Then again, Build Script might be the worst card I've ever seen. Neutral, 1 influence, and is effectively a pre-selected Deuces Wild with only the two least interesting modes picked for you. In no universe would you play it over DW, unless for some ungodly reason you wanted to run it as a 6-of.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

How to abuse clan vengeance. Run headfirst into a Komainu, jackout after the suffer. Pop clan vengeance.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Load Testing also seems very bad, since the runner has more clicks than you. The only realistic time it's relevant is if they have no code gate breaker and you have Fairchild 3.0 protecting something important, and even then, just playing ELP is a better and longer-term solution.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Then again, Build Script might be the worst card I've ever seen. Neutral, 1 influence, and is effectively a pre-selected Deuces Wild with only the two least interesting modes picked for you. In no universe would you play it over DW, unless for some ungodly reason you wanted to run it as a 6-of.

Original Netrunner had, in addition to the equivalents of Diesel and Easy Mark, cards that gave 2 credits and a card, and two cards and a credit. Why they thought this would be worth influence, I have no idea.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Load Testing also seems very bad, since the runner has more clicks than you. The only realistic time it's relevant is if they have no code gate breaker and you have Fairchild 3.0 protecting something important, and even then, just playing ELP is a better and longer-term solution.

Yeah, for what's supposed to be tempo card it's not that efficient. Going One-for-one on clicks is not a good trade. Maybe with ELP and Load testing, or if there was a way to play it without costing the corp clicks, then it would be better.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You can use ELP and Load Testing plus Localized Product Line for shenanigans though. Off the top of my head:

ELP Running, Rez Bio-Ethics x (however many you can get live), do 3 Net. Biotic, LPL, Load Testing, Load Testing, Load Testing. Pass turn. Runner cannot run. Start turn, do 3 Net.

That's crazy niche, but you can use the same principle (basically force the Runner to pass a turn) to do similar things with Political Assets, or Public Support, or any other 'must trash or causes significant problems' cards.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Clone suffrage movement plus ELP plus load testing [plus friends in high places] seems pretty obnoxious.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
you need Victoria Jenkins

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Localized Product Line + Hasty Relocation + Accelerated Diagnostics? Saves a Biotic for triggering double politicals.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

sonatinas posted:

you need Victoria Jenkins

The influence is going to be tight no matter which direction you go, but maybe doable out of HB?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
What in the world is the art on Sacrifice supposed to show? Why has Jack Weyland installed an HR Geiger chair on Mars, and how does this produce income and good will?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Static Equilibrium posted:

The influence is going to be tight no matter which direction you go, but maybe doable out of HB?

CUSTOM BIOTICS

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

sonatinas posted:

CUSTOM BIOTICS

Its time has come!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I like Load Testing, actually. It's a pretty decent way to open a scoring window in the early game. Install a Turing (or Fairchild, sure), install a 3/2 (or a 4/2 if you did the ICE last turn), play Load Testing last click. It has different weaknesses than ELP - ELP certainly isn't a guaranteed window, since there's such a good chance they'll have a Dirty Laundry, Deuces Wild, the new Spot the Prey, etc. Load Testing will work on a 2-ICE server that would have been beaten by a single Inside Job if you played ELP instead, and it's 2c less as well. It's not better than ELP, but that's a high standard to beat.

My favourite card in the pack is definitely Free Lunch, though. It puts a great big grin on my face, the same as when I played Troll.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Load Testing combos well with HHN in kill decks. Pity about Marron. It will also be good in the new Jinteki id, and RP.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

OrthoTrot posted:

Load Testing combos well with HHN in kill decks. Pity about Marron. It will also be good in the new Jinteki id, and RP.

Not at 5 influence it won't.

I like it to maybe open scoring windows off Turing or Fairchild 3 in combination/instead of ELP, but it's too much of a niche tempo card to see use out of faction.

I really want Sacrifice to make Jemison work, but it only really suits turning Hostile into Atlas. People have talked about using it with Fracking but it doesn't fit the scoring plan. The more I play Jemison the less it seems like a costly Fast Advance deck and more like a costly Never Advance bluff deck.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 21, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://imgur.com/a/mxofI#eMEHoO8

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
-3 influence on cards holy poo poo :pusheen:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That won't solve anything. Just put all those cards in anyway and laugh because influence can't be below 0 via MWL. A Whizzard deck with all those cards will still be good and not miss anything.

Just ban the cards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Deleter posted:

That won't solve anything. Just put all those cards in anyway and laugh because influence can't be below 0 via MWL. A Whizzard deck with all those cards will still be good and not miss anything.

Just ban the cards.

The latest rumor is that Boggs is considering doing away with that rule. FFG is apparently dead set against banning cards in ANR, so hopefully this works out.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Just ban the cards.

Yeah the top tier whizzard decks definitely don't rely on either Temujin or Siphon for econ, and the best NBN decks certainly aren't spending real influence on busted agendas and must-trash assets.

Edit: I do think bannings/restrictions would be better than MWL nonsense (the NY team tournament this past weekend with the custom banlist was pretty great), but apparently that is an FFG nonstarter and if this MWL is real it should be a pretty big step in the right direction.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 28, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

When did spoilerken stop posting before because my new theory is that he's Damon Stone

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Static Equilibrium posted:

Edit: I do think bannings/restrictions would be better than MWL nonsense (the NY team tournament this past weekend with the custom banlist was pretty great), but apparently that is an FFG nonstarter and if this MWL is real it should be a pretty big step in the right direction.
Bannings yes, restrictions no. I really dislike 1/deck cards that are 1/deck for power rather than flavor reasons (like Government Takeover or the Shards); it just makes it so whoever draws their busted cards first wins, which is not a sensible way to have a competitive game set up. There's a reason Vintage is only tangentially related to how Magic itself plays while Legacy is a giant thriving format.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kaethela posted:

The latest rumor is that Boggs is considering doing away with that rule.

but, my professor deck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I was thinking more along the lines of AGoT restriction: "here is a list of cards and you get to play a full playset of at most one." MtG style restrictions are the worst.

• Locked thread