Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

one half of the greatest mma picture of all time tyvm

It's fitting that he's here, but he's not the important half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

yeah, it sucks. i don't like these new owners

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

But I really want to see this fight. Extremely hittable featherwight vs welterweight guy who can't throw a punch.

Also don't understand why people are continuously talking about height/reach as if they are the defining factor in fights. Lots of successful, short fat fighters, Kelvin exists within a time honoured tradition. I mean, maybe Dhalsim would keep him at range?

Reach is one of the factors most strongly correlated with success in striking sports

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

david carmichael posted:

Reach is one of the factors most strongly correlated with success in striking sports

which is why Stefan Struve is such a unique fighter

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

handsome only face posted:

Legit KO'd Stipe.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

david carmichael posted:

Source? The study I've seen found that almost all champions have a reach that is longer than their own height or some poo poo, but I haven't ever seen anything outright saying a taller guy beats a shorter opponent more than 50% of the time.

Of course it's an advantage, but so is being faster or stronger than your opponent, which the shorter guy often is. IMO MMA had way too many variables to claim height is one of the most important. If you are taller and a better wrestler than your opponent however....

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Marching Powder posted:

Legit KO'd Stipe.

Got his face broke by Mark Hunt, all evens out.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

tesilential posted:

The study I've seen

Source?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

tesilential posted:

Source? The study I've seen found that almost all champions have a reach that is longer than their own height or some poo poo, but I haven't ever seen anything outright saying a taller guy beats a shorter opponent more than 50% of the time.

Of course it's an advantage, but so is being faster or stronger than your opponent, which the shorter guy often is. IMO MMA had way too many variables to claim height is one of the most important. If you are taller and a better wrestler than your opponent however....

Success isn't winning a fight, success is being the champion

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like you don't use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out, you use them to predict expected results over many dice rolls

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I remember seeing a chart or graph of the best heavyweight boxing champions (multiple defenses, etc) throughout history and only two had reaches that were shorter than their height. It's the two most obvious boxers too.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

david carmichael posted:

Like you don't use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out, you use them to predict expected results over many dice rolls

i get what you're saying but you should also use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It was posted in these threads like 10 years ago. Of note was that even Sean Sharks reach exceeded his height.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

tesilential posted:

It was posted in these threads like 10 years ago. Of note was that even Sean Sharks reach exceeded his height.

Great source

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

david carmichael posted:

You can do both, but your "stat" does neither.

Edit: I'm genuinely kinda curious what you originally meant. Are you saying guys with long reach compared to their own height are more likely to be champions? (I think this is proven already)

Or are you saying it is strong competitive advantage to be taller than your opponent and that you are more likely to be the victor in a fight against a shorter opponent. I haven't seen support for this (although it makes sense and could be true).

The latter seems to be more relevant to discussion on Kelvin vs Anderson.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 17, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jay z's sedan posted:

Great source

Lol

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Did struve have heart surgery recently?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Reach is pretty obviously a big advantage and every champ except for mighty mouse has some of the longest arms in their division

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

vainman posted:

Reach is pretty obviously a big advantage and every champ except for mighty mouse has some of the longest arms in their division

Im really sad someone had to post reach is an advantage

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
long arms is the single most important attribute in a pro fighter lol.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Also don't understand why people are continuously talking about height/reach as if they are the defining factor in fights.

didn't you start watching MMA because of Conor?

handsome only face posted:

Struve is tall and long but he didn't fight to exploit that advantage. There's a paradox with tall fighters, in that short strikes like knees, hooks, uppercuts, etc. are more effective for them, longer and easier to land. At lower levels of competition that is devastating, and they get used to that, but then against better fighters it doesn't work so well. Luke Barnatt on TUF was one of the worst examples, because he was taller and longer than everybody but would reflexively try to clinch and knee.

If you look at R1 of Struve-Miocic you'll see that what Struve really wants is to get inside and hook with Miocic, where he gets outboxed, or he's charging and leaping into huge knees that miss. Then about 90 seconds into R2 he starts jabbing with confidence, snapping Stipe's head back with every impact, and it opens everything up for him.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i get what you're saying but you should also use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I don't mean to be indelicate but what the gently caress are you talking about? Did you go to high School

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

its amazing that some people dont understand this, let alone are demanding peer reviewed studies of the subject

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
What kind of predictions would you make about a single die roll and what kind of stats would help you make that prediction

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I don't think being physically faster than your opponents is an advantage. I don't have any grounds for this claim, but please discuss this for at least 2 pages.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

david carmichael posted:

What kind of predictions would you make about a single die roll and what kind of stats would help you make that prediction

I boldly predict that there is a 1 in 6 chance the die will land on 4, because statistically there are six sides on this die and one of them is 4

I submit this for the consideration of the MacArthur Genius Grant to fund me staying at home for a year to play Dungeons and Dragons all day, to better understand the probability of single die rolls for other sizes and shapes of dice

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

I boldly predict that there is a 1 in 6 chance the die will land on 4, because statistically there are six sides on this die and one of them is 4

I submit this for the consideration of the MacArthur Genius Grant to fund me staying at home for a year to play Dungeons and Dragons all day, to better understand the probability of single die rolls for other sizes and shapes of dice

That's not a prediction, and also, is an untrue statement

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

david carmichael posted:

That's not a prediction, and also, is an untrue statement

Well you win some, you lose some

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Most people don't know poo poo about boxing

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

1/6

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Stats goons ?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
My study is that after Mayweather/Pacquiao Lennox Lewis looked directly into the camera and said "sometimes you just can't do anything to overcome a reach advantage" and his poo poo eating grin was so wide it was in danger of splitting his head in half

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My opinion is they should measure the size of the fighters balls. That's a much better indicator in knowing who is a better fighter.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
2018 UFC is going to be swept by a tiny-balled soccer player with disproportionately long arms who is built like a black man.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

My study is that after Mayweather/Pacquiao Lennox Lewis looked directly into the camera and said "sometimes you just can't do anything to overcome a reach advantage" and his poo poo eating grin was so wide it was in danger of splitting his head in half

:8 rounds of Mike Tyson getting jabbed into oblivion:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Disgusting Coward posted:

2018 UFC is going to be swept by a tiny-balled soccer player with disproportionately long arms who is built like a black man.

I mean yeah, Jon Jones is the best MMA fighter in history.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

It's insane lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

david carmichael posted:

I don't mean to be indelicate but what the gently caress are you talking about? Did you go to high School

are you being really obtuse about the use of the word "prediction" here or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://vimeo.com/208828066

• Locked thread