Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

The SPD have increased their vote share from their lowest result in the history of the party since WWII, to the second lowest result in their history of the party since WWII. Truly a result to be respected and feared.
Schulz is set to win in the coming elections, and millions of Germans who previously earned less than 8 euros an hour have a reason to be grateful to the SPD's role within the coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

ThomasPaine posted:

rees-mogg was entirely as expected and I just can't bring myself to hate him,

Funnily enough, one of the members of our board has had dealings with him. He wouldn't go into specifics when I pressed, but described him as "a real nasty piece of work".

Not the bumbling harmless old fool he would have us believe apparently.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Being MP for Tatton must be the easiest job in the world if you can do it at the same time as editing a widely read newspaper and being a senior adviser to a major financial firm.

It's an absolute loving farce. If Corbyn is on the ball, perhaps this could spearhead a push about sorting out MPs having other appointments, since it's so blatantly over the top.

Black Rock must be rubbing their hands at the thought of all that backdoor influence they can exercise through him straight into the brains of Londoners.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Prince John posted:

Black Rock must be rubbing their hands at the thought of all that backdoor influence they can exercise through him straight into the brains of Londoners.

I think it's more a case of how does anyone expect impartiality of any political reporting to take place when the editor is directly involved in the (nearly) top level of political organisation of the country.

Any Tory editor can print 'Corbyn sucks' (and they do!) but this wouldn't even involve an actual leak, just a mindful editorial line.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think his politics have moved to the right since he left office?

Well he hasn't expanded deregulation and private sector involvement in the state or started any more wars since then, so maybe you have a point 🤔

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I didn't have high hopes for Chilcott calling Blair a war criminal, but I'll admit I had some hope that it'd shame him into forever silence and I'm quite upset that it hasn't.

I mean, if an 6000 page government document called me an irresponsible bumblefuck, I'd prbobably stop leaving the house.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

namesake posted:

I think it's more a case of how does anyone expect impartiality of any political reporting to take place when the editor is directly involved in the (nearly) top level of political organisation of the country.

Any Tory editor can print 'Corbyn sucks' (and they do!) but this wouldn't even involve an actual leak, just a mindful editorial line.
Does he actually have any journalism experience? At all?

This seems such a strange appointment, pretty much came out of nowhere

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He does a ton of coke, that counts right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Talking about editors I saw this yesterday

quote:

Dacre emerges from this book as an isolated and, above all, angry figure with a hatred of the new. He never types at a computer – an assistant sends his emails and his staff’s journalism reaches him on paper rather than on screen – and while the Mail prides itself on having its finger on the pulse of present day “Middle England”, Dacre himself rarely sees anywhere that could be so defined. A chauffeured car takes him to and from the Mail’s offices in Kensington, where he spends between 14 and 18 hours a day on most weekdays, normally leaving only after the first edition has gone to press around 10pm. He usually takes lunch in his office, served by the house butler from silver platters. He never shops and he never takes public transport. “It always amused me that, you know, his shoe leather never wore out,” a former Mail journalist says, observing that Dacre spent all of every day on carpets, from home to office and back again, and “never crunched gravel anywhere”. One day, though this is hard to believe, the bard of Middle England apparently asked at an editorial meeting what an ATM actually did.

The daily routine of any newspaper is structured around meetings, known as conferences, but, to quote a regular attender of them, the Mail’s meetings resemble “this weird loving feudal court” that Dacre (“this shy and awkward, slightly scared chap”) has built around him to make himself more secure. He obtains most of his knowledge of the world via these toadying assemblies rather than any direct contact with humanity beyond the walls of Northcliffe House. The Mail’s campaign to bring the murderers of Stephen Lawrence to book was exceptional for several reasons, not least its origins: Dacre knew the boy’s father, Neville Lawrence, as a decorator who had done work on his home. The joke among Mail journalists was that their editor had had “a near-life experience”.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Talking about editors I saw this yesterday

That sounds like a really interesting book and I'm going to get it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I always make a point of tearing up a copy of the evening standard on my commute home. Now I'll feel encouraged to tear up two since Gideon's going to be the editor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/842705898187472897

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

Funnily enough, one of the members of our board has had dealings with him. He wouldn't go into specifics when I pressed, but described him as "a real nasty piece of work".

Not the bumbling harmless old fool he would have us believe apparently.

Reese Mogg is just a more competent Boris. In that we all know theres a horrible tory hiding under that veneer of personality thats applied directly to a camera lens and no-where else, but hes not going to be caught with his pants down by Michael loving Gove.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Prince John posted:

He's a Tory MP, being a oval office is a prerequisite.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Julio Cruz posted:

He's a Tory MP, being a oval office is a prerequisite.

being a nonce; optional

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I've been out of the loop on UK politics due to american buffoonery, are blairites still trying to sabotage corbyn and has he won any more emergency party leadership elections by a landslide

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

I've been out of the loop on UK politics due to american buffoonery, are blairites still trying to sabotage corbyn and has he won any more emergency party leadership elections by a landslide
No he's doing it all by himself nowadays, great development, and no.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Neurolimal posted:

Yes but more subtly, no

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Labour, if any goons feel their terrible political ideas need a national platform, the National Policy Forum consultation for this year is up and running.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

The amount of insanely bad ideas that Churchill came up with and managed to get put into practice is staggering.

Have you read Alan Brooke's Diaries? The ratio insanely bad ideas:got put into practice is maybe not what you thought.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/johnprescott/status/842833481407365124

:drat:

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Prescott bringing the bantz

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Loooolllllll

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
From following that twitter link to see that it was real and yes, Labour's John Prescott did tweet that - I then saw that Sadiq Khan openly congratulated Osborne on his editor job. Aren't these people supposed to be politicians?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
they're loving bantersaurus rexes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:perfect:

JFairfax posted:

being a nonce; optional
But without that what would the whips use to force your hand?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

From following that twitter link to see that it was real and yes, Labour's John Prescott did tweet that - I then saw that Sadiq Khan openly congratulated Osborne on his editor job. Aren't these people supposed to be politicians?

I've no doubt Sadiq's people are still terrified of the Standard - it might just be a freesheet now but it still has an inordinate amount of influence, and they basically took Ken Livingstone down.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

But without that what would the whips use to force your hand?

Actual whips?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Hoops posted:

Sadiq wasn't taking the piss though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Actual whips?
You want them to vote along with your bad ideas, not jizz their pants and beg for more.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You want them to vote along with your bad ideas, not jizz their pants and beg for more.

Why do you think having the whip withdrawn is such a dire threat?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I recently had a chat with this formerly-labour-supporting older chap who is now 100% behind May. His reason? There's far too many teenage pregnancies and young people are workshy and get everything given to them, not like he had in the 60s. I disagreed with him about the teenage pregnancies but didn't really have any stats to back it up, it just seemed wrong. Few days later I read this article in the Graun and it's just, uhh, what do you even say to someone who believes in the complete opposite of reality?

quote:

The number of teenagers giving birth has reached its lowest level in almost 70 years, official figures show. The decline is linked to improvements in contraception advice for young women and access to abortion services, experts said.

Last year, 25,977 women aged 19 and under had babies in England and Wales – about the same levels last recorded in 1946 when 24,816 children were born, according to the Office for National Statistics.

While teenage pregnancy has dropped, official figures reveal that the average age of mothers giving birth last year had risen to its highest since records began at 30.2-years-old.

(As a side note a quick skim of the column would not exactly give you impression that teenage pregnancy rates are historically low, either.)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

I recently had a chat with this formerly-labour-supporting older chap who is now 100% behind May. His reason? There's far too many teenage pregnancies and young people are workshy and get everything given to them, not like he had in the 60s. I disagreed with him about the teenage pregnancies but didn't really have any stats to back it up, it just seemed wrong. Few days later I read this article in the Graun and it's just, uhh, what do you even say to someone who believes in the complete opposite of reality?

(As a side note a quick skim of the column would not exactly give you impression that teenage pregnancy rates are historically low, either.)

Even if his complete bullshit reasoning had any inkling of reality built into it, what? People these days have an easier life, so let's make it miserable because I had a rough time and so should everyone? That's such a poo poo reasoning and somehow it's so goddamn commonplace it saddens me. What's wrong with people having an easier life? We should strive to make everyone's lives easier. Work to live, don't live to work and all that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Teenage pregnancy rates are falling, and a lot of that is due to the availability of sex ed and contraceptive technologies that weren't really public in the 60s, but even if he's 100% right isn't he basically saying "things were better under Wilson than under the shadow of Thatcher and austerity and that's why I'm voting Tory"?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/842858097840459777

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/842854778673750018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

Even if his complete bullshit reasoning had any inkling of reality built into it, what? People these days have an easier life, so let's make it miserable because I had a rough time and so should everyone? That's such a poo poo reasoning and somehow it's so goddamn commonplace it saddens me. What's wrong with people having an easier life? We should strive to make everyone's lives easier. Work to live, don't live to work and all that.

I don't think he wants to make people's lives worse, per se, just more uhh straightjacketed or 'proper' or something.

e:

quote:

Teenage pregnancy rates are falling, and a lot of that is due to the availability of sex ed and contraceptive technologies that weren't really public in the 60s, but even if he's 100% right isn't he basically saying "things were better under Wilson than under the shadow of Thatcher and austerity and that's why I'm voting Tory"?

I don't think he sees modern Labour as a continuation of that, but it's all a bit muddled. E.g. he hates Corbyn with a passion despite Corbyn being ideologically relatively close to the mainstream Labour positions of that time.

Maybe there is a bit of truth to Labour losing it's more authoritarian/traditionalist elements that it had back then though. I think in some way that's the message the alt-right is trying to push, that they are the true inheritors of the old vanguardist/union-centric/worker's rights movements. And I mean there was an element of, uhh, nationalism and bigotry, to Labour's campaigning at the time. Nowhere near as much as the Tories granted, what with the emblematic "friend of the family for a neighbour", but I remember reading some fairly strong anti-asian ads run by Labour then.

Perhaps the world just isn't as enlightened (funny how close that word is to the modern 'woke') as we think it is. I'll be damned if I know what to do about it though. And the media certainly aren't helping.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 18, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Corbyn is going to say some pretty good things tomorrow at a speech to Runnymede Trust.

Corbyn posted:

In the wake of the Brexit decision, it is vitally important that we value, celebrate and protect our diverse society.

Syrian refugees did not trade in credit default swaps and crash the economy.

East European builders and technicians did not slash funding for children's centres and libraries.

What we need is leadership that does not stoop to preying on those anxieties and blaming people who look differently, talk a different language or dress differently, for the mess that we're in.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

jabby posted:

Corbyn is going to say some pretty good things tomorrow at a speech to Runnymede Trust.

There's some pro-refugee bits there too. Good speech overall, my god the comments though. I wonder if we could get some funding to post leftwing comments on articles all day? I half-suspect that's what the right has been doing for a while anyway.

e: Or maybe it's just the retirees. Still it seems like something you could pitch to one of the various funding sources as 'unconventional media tactics' and 'influencing the narrative through targeted opinion creating' or something along those lines.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 18, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Private Speech posted:

There's some pro-refugee bits there too. Good speech overall, my god the comments though. I wonder if we could get some funding to post leftwing comments on articles all day? I half-suspect that's what the right has been doing for a while anyway.

It's speeches like this which remind me why I voted for Corbyn despite his clear difficulties with leadership. It's certainly not a vote winner to defend immigrants and refugees right now, but for gently caress's sake someone has to. And it definitely wouldn't be Cooper, Kendall, Umanna or any of the other possible leadership candidates.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Private Speech posted:

e: Or maybe it's just the retirees.

Combo of that and reddit types yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

It's speeches like this which remind me why I voted for Corbyn despite his clear difficulties with leadership. It's certainly not a vote winner to defend immigrants and refugees right now, but for gently caress's sake someone has to. And it definitely wouldn't be Cooper, Kendall, Umanna or any of the other possible leadership candidates.

Labour is in no position to defend people outside of government, three line whipping to support the bills that are going to hurt them.

• Locked thread