Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Personal_Nirvana posted:

The only mistake CDProjekt Red ever made was to reveal Cyberpunk 2077 so loving early.

There's no way that game is coming out before 2020.

On the plus side, the co-founder said recently that they're hoping that with Cyberpunk, the reveal of the release date and actual release will be close together.

Mymla posted:

Honestly, I kinda want to play witcher 3, but I really don't want to play as Gerald from the River.

Will Cyberpunk 2077 have character customization?

There's not much that can be done if you simply dislike how Geralt looks but as a person, Geralt is really really well written even considering how you can essentially dictate his attitude and you don't have to partake in the wanton sexing if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

poisonpill posted:

I hear this a lot but it really worked well the way it played out. Instead of the game designers needing to plan six wildly different characters (man/woman) (professional/goofy) (gay/straight) and so you end up getting a ton of choices that don't mean anything and dialogue that doesn't change anything so they can accommodate a range of characters.

Geralt is an old guy with a very special set of skills, looking for his daughter. He's basically fantasy Taken and the game gets to play with his backstory, relationships, and who *this* guy is in the world, which means more interesting quests, better dialogue, etc. etc.

This. Sometimes there is a lot to juggle at once to accommodate the player, while instead you could focus on a sort-of tabula rasa character that has background but you can build from it with a lot of leeway (see: the nameless one from torment). I think the Ryder siblings were an attempt to that direction with the removal of paragon/renegade, but it seems so far that it lacked more characterization work to fully accomplish that? I dunno :v:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone tried messing around with cheat engine to level up, add resources/credits yet? I'm half tempted to try to see how deep the crafting system goes but I dunno if it's worth potentially corrupting the trial.

MinibarMatchman posted:

how do the characters of ME:A stack up to the ones in ME:2, I liked just about everyone in that game but know nothing about Vectra and Krogan #3 and PB+J

No one really stands out yet. You get a vague idea of their basic personality when you meet them but there are no Jacks or Zaeeds. Everyone just seems like a regular person. Which sounds good on paper but in this kind of game I want some over the top characters. I guess Peebee stands out but just as a generic quirky character.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MinibarMatchman posted:

how do the characters of ME:A stack up to the ones in ME:2, I liked just about everyone in that game but know nothing about Vectra and Krogan #3 and PB+J

Way too early to tell.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

witcher 2 is real good, but it made a huge mistake forcing the player into a pretty hard combat scenario right at the start with a combat system that takes a while to get used to.

you could also do the flashbacks out of order, which was dumb because it was both confusing and severely affected the game's time-to-titties factor

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

poisonpill posted:

I hear this a lot but it really worked well the way it played out. Instead of the game designers needing to plan six wildly different characters (man/woman) (professional/goofy) (gay/straight) and so you end up getting a ton of choices that don't mean anything and dialogue that doesn't change anything so they can accommodate a range of characters.

Geralt is an old guy with a very special set of skills, looking for his daughter. He's basically fantasy Taken and the game gets to play with his backstory, relationships, and who *this* guy is in the world, which means more interesting quests, better dialogue, etc. etc.

Well loving put.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ash1138 posted:

you could also do the flashbacks out of order, which was dumb because it was both confusing and severely affected the game's time-to-titties factor

Yeah, I hosed up and chose the last one first so within minutes of starting the game I was scrambling to stay alive fighting dudes while a dragon reined chaos down on us. And I had no idea why anything was happening. Good stuff.

Took me three false starts to get in to the game, but once I got it, it was v good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's not much that can be done if you simply dislike how Geralt looks but as a person, Geralt is really really well written even considering how you can essentially dictate his attitude and you don't have to partake in the wanton sexing if you don't want to.

I don't like that he's a dude, but I could deal with that if he didn't also read like a 15 year old boy's original D&D character.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One downside of that is that you are expected to be familiar with and already invested in Geralt's story to some degree.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish I had the PC version of Witcher 3 instead of the PS4 version because I would like to replace all the lovely combat in the game with Gwent.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is default Sara worse than using a CC one?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

Witcher 1 is dogshit

Witcher 2 is good but very flawed

Witcher 3 is good, if you like open world RPG's. It's pretty tedious otherwise tbh

Witcher 3 is good if you want to "play" a long novel, if the story isn't to your liking I can't imagine playing it for the combat or even the exploration. Horizon is a much better "open world action RPG" than TW3.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I loved TW3 but it is very different from the kind of game Bioware makes, and does not fill the same niche at all.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

I wish I had the PC version of Witcher 3 instead of the PS4 version because I would like to replace all the lovely combat in the game with Gwent.

at first i thought it might be neat to find a mod that would replace geralt with ciri for a second runthrough so you can use her zwee fighting style but quickly realized that she had even shallower combat than the already not super deep combat system

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Serf posted:

I loved TW3 but it is very different from the kind of game Bioware makes, and does not fill the same niche at all.

:agreed: on both points

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Serf posted:

Could you please name 2 other games that you would consider to be very similar to the kind of game bioware makes? I really don't care about the argument here but I'm fascinated by the above sentence.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Not sure, but I changed Scott Ryder to one of the asian presets and I like it for the most part. Cora freaks me out though. Alec just died, stop smiling you psycho.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think she's a lot better looking than the presets, but people on GAF have been making some pretty decent ones from the CC:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wakko posted:

Could you please name 2 other games that you would consider to be very similar to the kind of game bioware makes? I really don't care about the argument here but I'm fascinated by the above sentence.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cross-Section posted:

I think she's a lot better looking than the presets, but people on GAF have been making some pretty decent ones from the CC:

Sorry as a side note, people actually visit NeoGaf? And why.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

The thing about all 3 of those characters is that they're only in the trial for about a minute, though as a character intro I suppose it's all right.

Drak arrives by throwing a kett dog monster though a window to what has been accurately described as Star Wars bad guy music, then bums off once you start to bore him.

Vetra gushes about the Tempest a bit and smooth talks her way out of having to go meet the tired face lady again, so that automatically endears her to me. She then just kinda sat in the ship for rest of the demo

Peebee tackles you for no particular reason and wants you to mess with some remnant junk because that is a thing you are uniquely suited for, and that's all I got out of her before the trial ends.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Horizon and W3 both have awesome protagonists and the games' stories are stronger because of that.

Also W3 has the finest punnery in gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEd0yxi89fE

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Utnayan posted:

Sorry as a side note, people actually visit NeoGaf? And why.

personally, to advertise bioware products mostly

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

Has anyone made any half-decent dudes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Post the codes for these because I'll be stealing one of them for sure.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wakko posted:

The Technomancer is the only one that springs to mind. The niche of the fully 3D squad-oriented action RPG with a realized protagonist and choice-based dialogue system is cornered by Bioware because these games are hard to make and there's little competition for the niche because Bioware has a hardcore fanbase.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
DF Analysis of the XBO and PS4 version.

https://youtu.be/DJG9d6zcwLk

XBO cutscenes go down to 765p...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it turns out this hasnt gotten a miracle patch to make it a good game in the last few hours i commentes on it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

precision posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I played this recently and not even close. You have a few quest here and there where you have an NPC tag along and chat with you but that's not uncommon in an RPG. There's nothing like the party interactivity that there is in a Bioware game where they attempt to emulate having other real people join you on your adventures.There are some turn based isometrics but I'd say they're still a different category to a Bioware game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A lot of folks like to talk poo poo on Bioware and Bethesda games and talk up other games that don't do remotely the same things at the same production values.

There was this weird Mass Effect rip-off that was based on Greek Mythology called Rise of the Argonauts, it was real bad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So I got a notification that the preload for ME:A is available on origin. But I already have the 40+gig trial version. Do I need to download another 40 gig file to be able to play on day 1 or what's the deal here

Sorry if this was already talked about, this thread is hard to read

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Wakko posted:

Here's my kind of Venn Diagram

Like Bioware Games minus combat:
BG 1 & 2 (yes I know these are Bioware games), PS:T, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 1&2

Like Bioware Games minus illusion of choice:
Fallout 3&4, Elder Scrolls Series

Like Bioware Games minus character customization:
Witcher 3 (I assume)
Deus Ex series

Like Bioware Games:
Kingdoms or Armalur (e: minus party)
New Vegas
KOTOR 1&2

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 17, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

A lot of folks like to talk poo poo on Bioware and Bethesda games and talk up other games that don't do remotely the same things at the same production values.

There was this weird Mass Effect rip-off that was based on Greek Mythology called Rise of the Argonauts, it was real bad.

That game did some cool stuff (I liked the idea of dedicating your deeds to the gods as a level up system) but yeah it was an absolute chore to play. Sad!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Serf posted:

The Technomancer is the only one that springs to mind. The niche of the fully 3D squad-oriented action RPG with a realized protagonist and choice-based dialogue system is cornered by Bioware because these games are hard to make and there's little competition for the niche because Bioware has a hardcore fanbase.

much like Fallout, it's probably because other devs have found better ways to do gameplay and narrative in action RPGs besides a bunch of multiple-choice options.

No matter how bad some of these animations and faces are, I think Fallout 4 takes the cake for outright ugliness and jank, and that had GOTY nominations. It didn't win a single one mind you but it was well-received

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I got a notification that the preload for ME:A is available on origin. But I already have the 40+gig trial version. Do I need to download another 40 gig file to be able to play on day 1 or what's the deal here

Sorry if this was already talked about, this thread is hard to read

No you should be good. Click on it and it should say it's already preloaded.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

That game did some cool stuff (I liked the idea of dedicating your deeds to the gods as a level up system) but yeah it was an absolute chore to play. Sad!

Yeah I thought the level system was really drat good, the combat and everything else was pretty bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wakko posted:

I mean there's not really an exact equivalent is the thing. BioWare games have a certain feel to them that others don't.

that being said I would love a BioWare game that has that same feel and excises all the BioWare BS they seem to be incapable of avoiding

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

PerilPastry posted:

Are the side quests fun at least? I didn't really enjoy Dragon Age: Inquisition too much but what made me drop it was all the bland MMO style fetch quests

There were only a few side quests available in the demo but they were better than DA:I. Not anything amazing but they were okay. They were probably most similar to side quests from the original trilogy.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I didn't actually try a CC one but I liked default Sara. I mean she can look goofy sometimes but I think she's best played as sort of a weirdo anyways.

Serf
May 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

The thing is that making games in the same genre as Bioware and Bethesda is hard and expensive. And they kinda cornered the market on them a long time ago apparently because no one wants to make games that try to compete with them. I do wish other studios would give it a shot, because I want to see what others could do in the same design space.

MinibarMatchman posted:

much like Fallout, it's probably because other devs have found better ways to do gameplay and narrative in action RPGs besides a bunch of multiple-choice options.

No matter how bad some of these animations and faces are, I think Fallout 4 takes the cake for outright ugliness and jank, and that had GOTY nominations. It didn't win a single one mind you but it was well-received

The "better" part depends on who you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Asian femshep looks the best so far. Looks like a real person.