Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"The sexual and racial dynamics here are a bit hosed lol"

"Dumb SJW, lol triggered much" *fart*

Clearly I have been vanquished to the Empty Space by your superior wit, good sir. I relinquish this victory to you. Now go forth and tell tales of your mighty and valiant victory over me, the dumb poopface. Your work here is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are doing a better job getting me stoked to watch Iron Fist than any of the marketing leading up to today.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

You guys are doing a better job getting me stoked to watch Iron Fist than any of the marketing leading up to today.

Damning if true.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Arist posted:

"The sexual and racial dynamics here are a bit hosed lol"

"Dumb SJW, lol triggered much" *fart*

Clearly I have been vanquished to the Empty Space by your superior wit, good sir. I relinquish this victory to you. Now go forth and tell tales of your mighty and valiant victory over me, the dumb poopface. Your work here is done.

What eloquence...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It sure does suck here in Hell, where I now live due to having been murdered by Judakel

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
"The Idiot Plot, of course, is any plot that would be resolved in five minutes if everyone in the story were not an idiot."
— Roger Ebert

Just started episode 2.

Edit: really brings me back to being frustrated with lovely writing in the 1990s

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

It sure does suck here in Hell, where I now live due to having been murdered by Judakel

How about you both shut up and quit trying to be like "lol i don't care look how cool i am" and quit interacting with each other

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There isn't really a way to argue that scene is perfect as is and couldn't have been written better.

Like what if Danny respectfully bowed out of the Dojo and went out back to train, and while she was correcting a student's posture she notices him kick a trash can into a car hard enough to dent it, and she comes out to talk to him while he's sheepishly tucking a couple hundreds into the windshield wipers...

gently caress dude you could even just have him start talking and then take a step back and say "but who am I talking to right, you don't need me to explain any of this, im just doing my own thing" and have it come from a place of sheepishness where she wants to learn what he's got going on but he feels awkward for trying to tell her how to do her job, instead of just rolling in and going "here's how to do it!"

Like an ounce of self awareness or literally any nuance to indicate that Danny knows his place and it's maybe not appropriate for him to act like this big expert while she's literally teaching...

As an aside, you are so transparently jumping on Artist for using the term 'mansplain' (lol u got triggered) and felt like the rest of the thread wanted to see your 'savage takedown' of them when it just makes you look like a total loving loser. This is not a hill to die on, dude, it just paints a picture of you as a douchebag, hth

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Of course everything could be solved if people just talked to each other. But they won't because one is a complete shut-in from a monastery, a couple others are rich kids with terrible people skills and one is a guy who's been cooped up in essentially a prison cell for 15 years unable to talk to anyone but his lovely kids and assistants. And most of those people want a slice of a big pile of money. Of course they're going to gently caress up in communicating.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

bbf2 posted:

(episode 1)Is it just me, or do Faramir and his son look like they're maybe 10 years apart, tops?

Oh hey that's actually a plot point and is directly addressed
Good job show

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Well Iron Fist ends with a cliffhanger, but this could be a hook for a second season and not just a lead in to Defenders. I see how Daredevil and Iron Fist would team up, but I don't see how or why Jessica and Luke would be involved. At this point Claire has more motivation than they do.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bbf2 posted:

Oh hey that's actually a plot point and is directly addressed
Good job show

which episode

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilmiera posted:

Of course everything could be solved if people just talked to each other. But they won't because one is a complete shut-in from a monastery, a couple others are rich kids with terrible people skills and one is a guy who's been cooped up in essentially a prison cell for 15 years unable to talk to anyone but his lovely kids and assistants. And most of those people want a slice of a big pile of money. Of course they're going to gently caress up in communicating.

yea of all the 'this is dumb' issues at least this does work since everyone involved is explicitly portrayed as a social retarded weirdo in some way. So, yea I guess I can buy the weird shut in monk dude not being super chatty with his douchebag trust fund idiot peers and all, neither of those guys would be any good at expressing feelings.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

There isn't really a way to argue that scene is perfect as is and couldn't have been written better.

Like what if Danny respectfully bowed out of the Dojo and went out back to train, and while she was correcting a student's posture she notices him kick a trash can into a car hard enough to dent it, and she comes out to talk to him while he's sheepishly tucking a couple hundreds into the windshield wipers...

gently caress dude you could even just have him start talking and then take a step back and say "but who am I talking to right, you don't need me to explain any of this, im just doing my own thing" and have it come from a place of sheepishness where she wants to learn what he's got going on but he feels awkward for trying to tell her how to do her job, instead of just rolling in and going "here's how to do it!"

Like an ounce of self awareness or literally any nuance to indicate that Danny knows his place and it's maybe not appropriate for him to act like this big expert while she's literally teaching...

As an aside, you are so transparently jumping on Artist for using the term 'mansplain' (lol u got triggered) and felt like the rest of the thread wanted to see your 'savage takedown' of them when it just makes you look like a total loving loser. This is not a hill to die on, dude, it just paints a picture of you as a douchebag, hth

Nah, it is really dumb to look at that scene as a microaggression. It could've been written better, but mansplaining is a dumb complaint. Your attempt at a takedown is really idiotic because no one even claimed the scene was well-written.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Danny being immature and not particularly smart is definitely an intentional character choice, and it makes sense--he was home schooled until about when he would have started middle school, watched his parents died (kinda locking him into that phase of his life) and then all his education, real world and scholarly, stopped and his life started revolving around training to hurt and kill people.

I won't pretend it isn't frustrating to watch, though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

I want Frank Castle to go to war with the Kingpin and cap that fool, unlike all those times in the comics where it didn't happen back in the day, tis what I want.

This has always kind of been the problem in the comics and I wonder how they'll go around this issue. He really doesn't have reoccuring villains besides Jigsaw. If you look at the Marvel TV shows, most of the season villains from AOS and the Netflix shows end up dead by the end with sometimes a villain carrying over from late into the season and going into the next but will still likely die at some point. The problem with Kingpin or Bullseye or a Spider-Man villain showing up in Punisher is that basically if Punisher is going to win, it means he kills the villain. And I don't know if I'm looking forward to Frank just mowing down a ton of faceless goons until he gets to the sweet kill in episode 12 or 13.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess that scene just didn't hit me as hard as the rest of you. The show kinda hinges on him being better than her. He's harsh on Colleen in that scene cause she's kind of an rear end in a top hat and could use a reality check of sorts. "Hey students, pretend to be ninjas and jump me in the park! I'll beat the hell out of all of you publicly and then talk about show poo poo you are." He's spent the rest of the episodes so far (only on ep 6, so feel free to disregard me) bowing respectfully and encouraging her as an equal. It's seemed to me like he's just really bad socially and trying to reach out for a friend.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I guess that scene just didn't hit me as hard as the rest of you. The show kinda hinges on him being better than her. He's harsh on Colleen in that scene cause she's kind of an rear end in a top hat and could use a reality check of sorts. "Hey students, pretend to be ninjas and jump me in the park! I'll beat the hell out of all of you publicly and then talk about show poo poo you are." He's spent the rest of the episodes so far (only on ep 6, so feel free to disregard me) bowing respectfully and encouraging her as an equal. It's seemed to me like he's just really bad socially and trying to reach out for a friend.

More likely explanation: That's how the monks at his crazy old home acted to teach him lifelessons, if it is anything like what happened to Dr Strange where they dropped him on a freezing mountaintop just so he could learn to teleport out before he died. It worked, but they also came really close to just straight up killing him.

Not to mention the scene in this where they just beat the poo poo out of him as a kid with bamboo rods until he bled, probably to help him deal with pain or focus him for a fight

Edit:vvv Yeah, and it is going to end up in a spot where she beats him up to show her journey is now complete, or somesuch.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2017

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's a standard movie fight scene. Fighter A spars with Fighter B. Fighter A criticizes Fighter B's techniques and easily defeats them. "You're good... but I'm better. *wink*" I guarantee there is a page on TVTropes that lists a hundred examples of it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I'm actually turning around on the show in the back half. It's not that Finn Jones gets any better but the overall plot is pretty decent and moving along, Ward and Joy's side story is actually pretty compelling (and the actors are actually doing really well with selling their complicated dynamic), and Colleen continues to own.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

notthegoatseguy posted:

This has always kind of been the problem in the comics and I wonder how they'll go around this issue. He really doesn't have reoccuring villains besides Jigsaw. If you look at the Marvel TV shows, most of the season villains from AOS and the Netflix shows end up dead by the end with sometimes a villain carrying over from late into the season and going into the next but will still likely die at some point. The problem with Kingpin or Bullseye or a Spider-Man villain showing up in Punisher is that basically if Punisher is going to win, it means he kills the villain. And I don't know if I'm looking forward to Frank just mowing down a ton of faceless goons until he gets to the sweet kill in episode 12 or 13.

The reasoning in the comics was always Frank believed that if he killed the Kingpin then every gang under his thumb would start fighting for control and the violence would spill into too many civilian casualties. So he would always just bleed Fisk constantly by disrupting every leg of his empire.

It's a shame licensed comic book games aren't really done much anymore. My dream game is still a Punisher game using Shadows of Mordor's nemesis engine.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Weird Dominatrix Hand Lady: I smell your fear.
Iron Fist: No you don't.

I laughed even if nobody else will.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The reasoning in the comics was always Frank believed that if he killed the Kingpin then every gang under his thumb would start fighting for control and the violence would spill into too many civilian casualties. So he would always just bleed Fisk constantly by disrupting every leg of his empire.

It's a shame licensed comic book games aren't really done much anymore. My dream game is still a Punisher game using Shadows of Mordor's nemesis engine.

Not always, there were some runs I recall reading a few years back from the early 90s, that didn't come up in what I read. I'm sure that's a reason they came up with years later to explain it though. Naturally there is no end to Frank's war on crime, there will always be somebody else to fill any position, but it's in his character to want to kill Kingpin. Him killing every gangster in his path isn't a logical thing, it's what he does.

On killing villains and keeping a comic fresh, it works for Judge Dredd. There's a story to be told about the neverending grind as well, lot of angles you can go with even if you don't keep the villains around forever. (though JD has to face Judge Death every five to ten years)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 17, 2017

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I think the reviews of this were mostly just upset out of some misplaced sense of social justice or what have you. The quality of Iron Fist so far isn't some gigantic step down from Luke Cage. I'm not gonna defend it and say it's great, or on the quality level of Daredevil either though.

That being said...I feel like Danny getting the company and meeting Wing then talking to Hogarth is something that should have been resolved on the end of episode 1 or 2. It feels like they wrote Danny getting kicked out, then going to Hogarth, then finding out about Faramir but were like "oh poo poo, we have two episodes to fill with content."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
David Wenham is in this so I'll definitely watch it. Sounds like the show will appeal to my dorky sense of humor so I'll just have a few beers on hand to get through the trivial parts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HIJK posted:

David Wenham is in this so I'll definitely watch it. Sounds like the show will appeal to my dorky sense of humor so I'll just have a few beers on hand to get through the trivial parts.

He's definitely one of the better parts of it.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Just finished it. My review of the show is that it's the first Marvel Netflix season to remain consistent throughout the whole season. The only problem is that it's consistently boring and mediocre

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i like tacos posted:

Just finished it. My review of the show is that it's the first Marvel Netflix season to remain consistent throughout the whole season. The only problem is that it's consistently boring and mediocre

Sounds like must-watch TV.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

They clearly have some kind of Claire as White Tiger reveal planned for Defenders.

Like it couldn't have been more obvious if she had tipped a big ol' wink to the camera when she picked up those fuckin' cat claws in Episode 8, and then her conversation with Madam Gao about waiting to "become special" in 9

It's really not a bad show. Most of this show was better than most of Jessica Jones. Jones just had some standout episodes and moments that top Iron Fist. And better casting for the titular character.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Percelus posted:

so are the negative reviews mostly a reaction to a white guy doing kung fu? i don't understand how asian people doing kung fu is a racial stereotype but the moment a white person does kung fu it's white washing. i do understand being frustrated there are still no top billed asian actors in the mcu though.
Imagine if the people behind the show were all edgelords who saw the initial reactions to the casting for the show and decided to stick a thumb in the wound over and over again.

From the trailer and throughout the show, Danny is like a feeder school student who returned from his gap year where he managed to find himself, and Namaste yourself.

His acting is poo poo, his character is dumb as poo poo, his martial arts are poo poo and hilariously fourth-wall breaking, and he keeps quoting "Chinese/Tibetan-sounding" philosophers out of the blue and with no context as if he just updated his #inspo Pinterest board.

The people behind the show couldn't seem less aware of the racial implications of the writing.

And of course, the main Asian representation is, in keeping with Marvelflix tradition Kung Fu triads who get their money through opium dens drug trade.

Marvelflix have always had a problem with Asian representation, but this show is them tripling down on it rubbing a gently caress you in the face of the audience. It's hard to be outright upset about it, because it's so hilariously, cartoonishly tone deaf.

On top of the narrative of mediocre white men getting the gigs of talented, deserving people. Actors, writers, showrunners, etc.

I mean, they picked the guy behind Lumberjack Dexter, what can you even say.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 17, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Okay, the karaoke killer at the beginning of Episode 6 is a pretty good bit.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

lol, holy poo poo episode 10 spoilers - KYLE GOT SCOOPED

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Just finished the first episode, and man, I can already tell that so many of the show's problems stem from the completely asinine decision to play down the supernatural elements in order to keep it more in line with the other Netflix shows tonally.

I'm on the sixth episode now, and nothing in the first five has changed my opinion in this regard. FWIW.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished it. It's not great. It's not even good, really. I enjoyed it for what it was, and the shlockier it was the more into it I got. But it's riddled with issues. People are going to say this is the one that wasn't several episodes too long, which I still disagree with as an overall assessment of the rest of the Netflix shows, but I will say that the individual episodes were probably much too long. This show is way too slow and often way too boring for the episode lengths it's going for.

Even after my bellyaching about them putting Danny and Colleen together I actually got decently invested in where that went, but that's probably just because Colleen is still the best. The episode 10 twist got me decently and was actually pretty good. Harold ruled, though the final fight was really goddamn silly. That drunk fight in episode 8 was amazing, also.

Overall my assessment is very forgiving and I'd still probably give it about a C+ at best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

I'm on the sixth episode now, and nothing in the first five has changed my opinion in this regard. FWIW.

Spoiler for the last episode: You don't see the dragon, but they show its eyes shining through darkness. It's actually decently effective in a minimalist sort of way especially because there's absolutely no way they could ever get away with showing it for realsies.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ufarn posted:

Imagine if the people behind the show were all edgelords who saw the initial reactions to the casting for the show and decided to stick a thumb in the wound over and over again.

From the trailer and throughout the show, Danny is like a feeder school student who returned from his gap year where he managed to find himself, and Namaste yourself.

His acting is poo poo, his character is dumb as poo poo, his martial arts are poo poo and hilariously fourth-wall breaking, and he keeps quoting "Chinese/Tibetan-sounding" philosophers out of the blue and with no context as if he just updated his #inspo Pinterest board.

The people behind the show couldn't seem less aware of the racial implications of the writing.

And of course, the main Asian representation is, in keeping with Marvelflix tradition Kung Fu triads who get their money through opium dens drug trade.

Marvelflix have always had a problem with Asian representation, but this show is them tripling down on it rubbing a gently caress you in the face of the audience. It's hard to be outright upset about it, because it's so hilariously, cartoonishly tone deaf.

On top of the narrative of mediocre white men getting the gigs of talented, deserving people. Actors, writers, showrunners, etc.

I mean, they picked the guy behind Lumberjack Dexter, what can you even say.

so clearly the only only solution is the have shang chi, the one true master of kung fu in the marvel universe, show up and whoop dannys white rear end :spergin:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Whose genius idea was it to portray Danny as naive to the point of childishness instead of, say, calm and easygoing?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Mars4523 posted:

Whose genius idea was it to portray Danny as naive to the point of childishness instead of, say, calm and easygoing?

having watched more of dexter than i care to admit, the showrunner. the way everyone was so blind to dexter murdering people left and right despite all the warning signs and legitimate accusations hurled at him early on, they were basically the most comically inept pd on any tv show ever

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

Spoiler for the last episode: You don't see the dragon, but they show its eyes shining through darkness. It's actually decently effective in a minimalist sort of way especially because there's absolutely no way they could ever get away with showing it for realsies.

Why couldn't they have gotten away with it? I've seen what the CW shows can do on what's gotta be a smaller budget; I find it very hard to believe that they couldn't have rendered a respectable-looking CG dragon for one or two scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Percelus posted:

so clearly the only only solution is ...
If only, but Rand is so poorly written that I think we're supposed to like him and admire his skills. Murdock was kinda written to be an rear end in a top hat in DD2, although the writing for that was pretty bad.

Rand doesn't have any character flaws per se, but his depiction is the worst thing ever.