Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Maybe if he stares at someone long and hard enough from near by, a secondary effect comes out and he can see further. There's the touch component which could increase efficacy with proximity? Conjecture for now but we'll see I suppose.

I'm wondering if Overhaul's quirk is the transfer of injuries and illnesses. Perhaps he could draw out the illnesses for storage and then direct the storage into another target. He'd basically be able to heal and kill as fast as his quirk allows (instantaneously if the bloody messes are an indication). Conjecture again but it'll be interesting to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I got the sense that Nighteye was just doing your average everyday prediction, not using his quirk. He also just happens to be a very precise sort of individual.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I got the sense that Nighteye was just doing your average everyday prediction, not using his quirk. He also just happens to be a very precise sort of individual.

Yea it's also to say "you don't need precognition to see where this is going"

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
it definitely seems like theyre talking about his quirk. all might says "i told you not to WATCH me", combover man tries to get him to change his ways, all might is like "its not like your PREDICTIONS are ever wrong", combover man says that doesnt mean he cant change them in the future

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Red Mike posted:

Calling it now, All-Might's gonna get his chronic condition cured by the villain and hijinks will ensue.

This would be an amazing reversal of expectations. Anything that's not All Might dying would because it's been foreshadowed so heavy-handedly even before the last chapter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This would be an amazing reversal of expectations. Anything that's not All Might dying would because it's been foreshadowed so heavy-handedly even before the last chapter.

Even if he's healed he can't go back to being All Might since his power is gone to Deku. All Might is dead, and giving him his good body back could lead to some fun conflict where he wants to be a hero again because he spent most of his life being a hero.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thing about predictions and quirks is that there are stages of advancement to them as well as a question of accuracy.

It's wholly possible that Nighteye can accurately predict the future with amazing clarity within an hour of touching someone, but he can also use a long term version of his quirk for a prediction years down the line, but it is murkier and less accurate. Like a weather forecast, subject to alterations from chaotic elements.

At least, that is my take on it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Thing about predictions and quirks is that there are stages of advancement to them as well as a question of accuracy.

It's wholly possible that Nighteye can accurately predict the future with amazing clarity within an hour of touching someone, but he can also use a long term version of his quirk for a prediction years down the line, but it is murkier and less accurate. Like a weather forecast, subject to alterations from chaotic elements.

At least, that is my take on it.

Given that the assumed limitations on class 1A's quirks have been broken with a mix of training and creative application, I wouldn't be surprised if 1 hour was just the limit where he can be close to 100% certain. It could also just be that in addition to his future telling quirk he's just learned to predict events with regular old intuition too, though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean if he could predict things from that far away did he predict that All Might was going to pick Deku years before he actually met him?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Reading the FA scanlations makes it seem more like it's a metaphorical "prediction" and that All Might is admonishing/mocking what he's saying.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean if he could predict things from that far away did he predict that All Might was going to pick Deku years before he actually met him?

That's why it's probably either not very accurate or lacking in control somewhat. Maybe it's like Jedi Foresight, a random flash of a possible future.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I think when All Might said that, he was implying Nighteye saw his initial injury in his fight with AfO.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do wonder if Deku is going to be rendered as an invalid before he turns 18 at this rate. God I hope not, he'd better turn around from his funk and put his analytics to good use.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Grouchio posted:

I do wonder if Deku is going to be rendered as an invalid before he turns 18 at this rate. God I hope not, he'd better turn around from his funk and put his analytics to good use.

yes i too wonder if a shonen manga will effectively kill off its main character from the story prematurely as if that would ever be a thing that happens

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Unlikely, since he's managed to stop breaking his bones whenever he fights.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Considering the initial setup for the manga is Deku telling the story of how he BECAME a hero, I wouldn't bet on the early death of Deku.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Horikoshi could pull a JoJo and have the story be about different heirs of One for All.

Not saying it's at all likely, but it's possible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

yes i too wonder if a shonen manga will effectively kill off its main character from the story prematurely as if that would ever be a thing that happens

yu yu hakusho is what happens. or in this case I guess that arc from hxh where gon burns out his powers and nearly kills himself

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Considering the initial setup for the manga is Deku telling the story of how he BECAME a hero, I wouldn't bet on the early death of Deku.

Ah, someone who thinks the sitcom How I Met Your Mother is actually about meeting the children's mother. This is actually all a flashback story from Deku to the next bearer of All For One, on the eve of Deku's 18th birthday.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Begemot posted:

Horikoshi could pull a JoJo and have the story be about different heirs of One for All.

Not saying it's at all likely, but it's possible.

deku gets bodied by a villain, is dying and passes off one for all to a stranger in a last ditch effort to keep hope alive

that stranger was joseph joestar

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm hoping we get a flashback (somehow) showing what happened between All for One and his brother. Why did AFO give him the stockpiling quirk? It'd be awesome if it turned out the brother didn't always oppose him, and AFO gave the quirk to him while he was his lieutenant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Condiv posted:

deku gets bodied by a villain, is dying and passes off one for all to a stranger in a last ditch effort to keep hope alive

that stranger was albert einstein

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

that stranger was joseph joestar

Jonathan Joestar, you mean.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Condiv posted:

that stranger was toshinori yagi

:tinfoil:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Condiv posted:

that stranger was son goku

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nart

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Condiv posted:

that stranger was paul blart, mall cop

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lol

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The idea of MHA just suddenly swerving and having the protagonist be an out of shape white mall cop is surprisingly funny to think about

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

paul blartt mall cop left an indelible mark on American popular culture so it fits

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think the WSJ audience would appreciate a western comic shoutout to this degree, but Midoriya suffering a false death for a while ala' uh...most superheroes really and making a triumphant return would be something I'd read.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I was just in a healing coma I swear!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Condiv posted:

that stranger was gol d roger

and then he somehow passed his quirk on to a hat

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gyges posted:

Ah, someone who thinks the sitcom How I Met Your Mother is actually about meeting the children's mother. This is actually all a flashback story from Deku to the next bearer of All For One, on the eve of Deku's 18th birthday.

Those poor kids. They sat on that couch so long they changed actors like seven times and 99.9% of that story had nothing to do with meeting their mother.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr. Fowl posted:

Those poor kids. They sat on that couch so long they changed actors like seven times and 99.9% of that story had nothing to do with meeting their mother.

Stop reminding me that they filmed all of the couch scenes at the very start of the show and were therefore locked into a specific ending even though 9 years later the plot had developed in such a way that to reach their predetermined endpoint they had to break tons of characterization to get back to where they wanted.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mr. Fowl posted:

I still like how there's this arc of turning an arrogant womanizer into a human being with emotions, while the ostensible main character remains kind of a piece of crap throughout

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Eej posted:

Stop reminding me that they filmed all of the couch scenes at the very start of the show and were therefore locked into a specific ending even though 9 years later the plot had developed in such a way that to reach their predetermined endpoint they had to break tons of characterization to get back to where they wanted.

Sounds a lot like something that would happen in shonen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I still like how there's this arc of turning an arrogant womanizer into a human being with emotions, while the ostensible main character remains kind of a piece of crap throughout
The best thing about Barney was how the whole theme of his character are was that no, you don't want to be like Barney. Even Barney doesn't want to be like Barney. It was really well-done and NPH flexed his acting muscles well, IMO.

And then... Well, that's a discussion for another thread.

HOW ABOUT THAT BIRDMASK GUY HUH

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Eej posted:

The best part of the couch scenes was the Comic-Con short before the final season that brought back the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eej posted:

So kind of like an anti-Gurren?