Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Class Warcraft posted:

Is Colonial Marines bad in a funny way, at least?

Overall no, but you can find great youtube videos about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m93pGnLPbMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk3aruZIZyo

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wow uh, its even worse than I thought it was.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all the bro-ness of a gears of war game!none of the quality assurance!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Neo Rasa posted:

I ended up exchanging it for Anarchy Reigns which is a significantly better game in every way.

Anarchy Reigns is great fun, I played a whole bunch of it online with friends and it was just a joy.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The local GAME here had a huge pile besides the counter and was selling copies for 25p and even at that price I felt like I'd been taken for a fool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't SEGA or Gearbox get sued over false advertisement re: Colonial Marines?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Maybe it's been debunked, but right after the game came out I remember Sega accusing Gearbox of syphoning funds away from Colonial Marines to boost development of Borderlands 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Didn't SEGA or Gearbox get sued over false advertisement re: Colonial Marines?

Both did. Eventually Sega paid up but Gearbox was dropped from the suit, I believe.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Maybe it's been debunked, but right after the game came out I remember Sega accusing Gearbox of syphoning funds away from Colonial Marines to boost development of Borderlands 2.

No, this definitely happened. Gearbox kept reporting milestone progress on Colonial Marines, so Sega was still paying the full monthly development fee. Then Sega found out that not only had Gearbox been taking the Aliens money and financing Borderlands 2 with it, but Gearbox had also outsourced the Aliens development to a junk developer that made F.E.A.R. expansion packs, so Sega stopped paying and eventually tried to recover some of the money it had paid, which forced Gearbox to go through a significant round of layoffs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Scummy as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Going into that whole debacle Gearbox's head honcho(CEO?) was well respected by the gaming community as one of the main people responsible for Borderlands and Borderlands 2. The Colonial Marines disaster was the start of his downfall and now he's thought of as a joke because their followup to the Borderlands franchise was a major disappointment. Still has his job though, so that's something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pitchford was always thought of as an rear end in a top hat, Borderlands notwithstanding.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Pitchford was always thought of as an rear end in a top hat, Borderlands notwithstanding.

yeah he definitely had a reputation as being a megalomaniacal crazy person even before Borderlands

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I met him at a conference very briefly a few years ago and I can definitely say that I think of him in this manner.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, him constantly running his mouth while Gearbox basically never hit a release date didn't exactly make him a lot of friends in the industry. Even the first Borderlands was over a year late (and then there was the whole "oh, yeah, we stole art from this guy's short film" thing).

Then there was the Duke Nukem Forever disaster...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember him being reasonably popular when Borderlands 2 was out and he was constantly tweeting codes for loot box keys. He was the guy handing out free stuff so gamers liked him then. Well, at least I did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The only less liked guy in gaming is probably Brad Wardell, Denis Dyack or (briefly) that goddamn idiot Curt Schilling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only less liked guy in gaming is probably Brad Wardell, Denis Dyack or (briefly) that goddamn idiot Curt Schilling.

Bobby Kotick has to be on that list.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Curt Schilling was so hateable that he burned through all the hate fuel almost instantly, and is now essentially forgotten.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HannibalBarca posted:

Curt Schilling was so hateable that he burned through all the hate fuel almost instantly, and is now essentially forgotten.

Forgotten to everyone but his creditors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Schilling became completely radioactive to the gaming industry yea, probably because the Kingdom of Amalur thing got so much mainstream publicity. Since there was public money involved it was getting major press in big newspapers and on major websites.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I remember him being reasonably popular when Borderlands 2 was out and he was constantly tweeting codes for loot box keys. He was the guy handing out free stuff so gamers liked him then. Well, at least I did.

He was well liked in the borderlands community, but not any where else.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Which one of you is going to save me the effort of trying to find these stories by myself? Tell me about dumb video game people please

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

He was well liked in the borderlands community, but not any where else.

^^^^^I'm sure I'll be beaten but here's the Schilling story. He's a nerd at heart so he's always wanted to make a video game. He also thinks he's a budding politician and financial genius, so he somehow roped the Rhode Island government into his scheme where they give him public funds to make his game(millions and millions of dollars). He then took all the money and blew it on stupid poo poo to make his gaming company's office really nice, didn't budget properly, and ended up needing to go back and ask for more money. At this point it was obvious that Rhode Island was hosed but they stuck with it and Schilling's studio ended up barely getting the game out the door and then folded soon afterwards. A bunch of employees had moved from other states to work for the company and there were repots that Schilling completely hosed them over financially when the company shut its doors.

Funny thing is the game is actually pretty solid and I thought it was very enjoyable to play. I paid like $30 for it and did not feel ripped off at all.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 17, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Bobby Kotick has to be on that list.

He always seemed more like a proxy for Activision and the hate for him was not really based on anything he said.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Forgotten to everyone but his creditors.

at least he had the canny business sense to defraud one of the smallest states and goofiest governors in the country

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I really enjoy the marketing stuff for Prometheus and the new stuff for Alien Covenant is pretty cool as well.

Is there any info out there about what Weyland created versus what the "old man" did, presumably Ash, Bishop, Daniel?

edit: I just realized that Blade Runner is connected to Alien. I'm an idiot, please ignore me.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 17, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He always seemed more like a proxy for Activision and the hate for him was not really based on anything he said.

Not necessarily what he said, but he was pretty much directly responsible for Activision's "annualization" strategy that resulted in its studios becoming Call of Duty / Tony Hawk / Guitar Hero factories.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Not necessarily what he said, but he was pretty much directly responsible for Activision's "annualization" strategy that resulted in its studios becoming Call of Duty / Tony Hawk / Guitar Hero factories.

UbiSoft at any rate has streaked ahead in ways Activision has only ever dreamed of.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

Also a source of frustration for people because everything else they put out is super junky or budget level in some way. What they did with Platinum is a good example. Like you know what Platinum's all about, you get Platinum signed on to make a Legend of Korra game and a Transformers game...but as $24 budget downloadable titles, wha?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true the movie kind of does a bad job at being creepy because it gives the eggs that adorable warbling sound and all the body explosions are in extreme slow motion so they look crazy at first but then you clearly see the squib/etc. stuff used for the effect. But the concept, especially that the ending is just straight up "sorry folks they actually did distribute them all over NYC, the planet dies" is definitely up there. The total lack of endgame for the alien at the end, how it even managed to get back, Italian cinema has always been 100% correct in worrying first about whether or not something is cool and worrying never about if something makes sense, the best ones come together in a dream logic way that I love.

If anyone wants to check it out in English, just please don't mix it up with "Alien Contamination," this is an unrelated and terrible movie but was also called just Contamination in some releases.

The ending of Lifeforce is a greeeeat example of that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did gearbox have to siphon off funds to develop borderlands 2? borderlands 1 was far more successful than it had any right to be.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did gearbox have to siphon off funds to develop borderlands 2? borderlands 1 was far more successful than it had any right to be.

Borderlands 1 ran a year behind schedule and significantly over budget, Duke Nukem Forever (and the Duke Nukem IP in general) cost a ton to acquire and a ton to finish (and then it sold like a wet fart) and they ran deficits on the Brothers in Arms games. Financially speaking they've got a long history of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This combines 3 things I love. (I don't think it's real though, I couldn't find any other pictures and no Alien/Geiger themed events going on in cz)

Also "czech" out this military helicopter, which actually is real.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 18, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do the xenomorphs have genitals. is the queen born preggers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

do the xenomorphs have genitals. is the queen born preggers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

those aint xenomorphs you silly goose.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The queen (if there is such a thing) doesn't mate. All xenomorph eggs/facehuggers are genetically identical. Individual differences are determined by incorporation of host DNA.

The host is more than just a vessel for parasitic gestation. It's a sort of sexual partner for the facehugger. That's one of the things that makes the aliens so scary.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the queen turns a cool self-contained weird lifecycle into an annoying chicken-egg question. all cos james cameron just wanted to see alien but bigger

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Earlier on they wanted the queen to literally and explicitly be the fully grown version of the same alien she blasts out of the airlock at the end of the first movie. They didn't roll with that of course, but it makes me wonder if that was part of what made them decide to go with a queen producing all of the eggs in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

the queen turns a cool self-contained weird lifecycle into an annoying chicken-egg question. all cos james cameron just wanted to see alien but bigger

Eh, it's not really self-contained. Even if you go by the director's cut where they show the alien converting Dallas into an Egg, it still has a lot of questions. It works there because it's explicitly bizarre and terrifying and the answer of what it is isn't meaningful compared to the implication that every single one of those countless eggs represents a corpse but it's not really a sensible lifecycle. Without that DC scene there's no actual contained lifecycle, the eggs are there. (Which is why 'the alien is a bioweapon' was a thing for so long even before Prometheus did black goo.)