Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hey, quick question: how many steps ahead is Prometheus? I think they may have mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cran posted:

In all this excitement with Prometheus turning out to be Chase, allying with Talia, and Vigilante being an unknown, I wonder if I've missed something; where on earth has Evelyn gone off to?

She's Savitar

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cran posted:

In all this excitement with Prometheus turning out to be Chase, allying with Talia, and Vigilante being an unknown, I wonder if I've missed something; where on earth has Evelyn gone off to?

She's disappeared so thoroughly it feels like there was a deleted scene having her leave/get killed for how little anyone cares about her. Nobody even mentions her any more.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Phylodox posted:

Hey, quick question: how many steps ahead is Prometheus? I think they may have mentioned it.

I'm still not clear on what game they're playing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

OB_Juan posted:

I'm still not clear on what game they're playing.

Obviously it's a game involving steps.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

She's disappeared so thoroughly it feels like there was a deleted scene having her leave/get killed for how little anyone cares about her. Nobody even mentions her any more.

With Roy gone they needed to cut someones scenes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I kind of expect them to find her half dead in a warehouse somewhere.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

It would have been so easy to just have him taunting them, but having him actually just carry on doing his job because he knows they can't do anything was fantastic.

"I'm gonna kill you. In ways you haven't even thought about." or whatever it was is the exact moment Curtis became the best character of the season for me.

Seriously, his development arc has been the best, he started as a completely bland Casey Jones ripoff getting clowned by Oliver, and now he not only has depth and pathos but is a legit swaggering bad-rear end. Plus, whoever decided to pair him with Captain Lance the Elder made a fantastic call.

I mean, I haven't seen character development like that since Laure—:stonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phylodox posted:

what's the o/u

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

"I'm gonna kill you. In ways you haven't even thought about." or whatever it was is the exact moment Curtis became the best character of the season for me.

Seriously, his development arc has been the best, he started as a completely bland Casey Jones ripoff getting clowned by Oliver, and now he not only has depth and pathos but is a legit swaggering bad-rear end. Plus, whoever decided to pair him with Captain Lance the Elder made a fantastic call.

I mean, I haven't seen character development like that since Laure—:stonk:

Wild Dog is Rene.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

Wild Dog is Rene.

Yeah. this is what I get for speed posting while trying to operate a salad and talk to a spouse at the same time. :doh:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This season has been really great, a real return to form after the last two seasons shat the bed about halfway through (can't remember 4 enough to say if it was bad before that really) but this episode gave me flashes of that sort of downturn near the end. I think it's Talia being around in the present, this show has historically gotten real dumb when the League of Assassins came to the fore. Hope they can stick the landing and keep it up next season, if they keep the team dynamic and keep developing Dinah (feels like she's not done much yet) then it'll be cool.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chase was just magnificent this episode.

This season has made me love Arrow again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thebardyspoon posted:

This season has been really great, a real return to form after the last two seasons shat the bed about halfway through (can't remember 4 enough to say if it was bad before that really) but this episode gave me flashes of that sort of downturn near the end. I think it's Talia being around in the present, this show has historically gotten real dumb when the League of Assassins came to the fore. Hope they can stick the landing and keep it up next season, if they keep the team dynamic and keep developing Dinah (feels like she's not done much yet) then it'll be cool.

That's one of the problems this season. The supporting cast is actually so good that they don't have the time to focus on any one of them for long.

Rene loving owns and Curtis finally got his T-Spheres. I am dying for an all Dinah episode beyond her origin because she is a delightful scenery chewing hard-rear end.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Chase has so far been the most effective villain just by waiting for Oliver and co. to screw up and step into his traps, and then capitalizing on it 100%.

Merlyn was trying to compete with him while plotting to kill the poors, Slade simply captured everything and everyone Oliver loved and shouted "CHOOSE", Ra's great plan was to...force Oliver to kill him, and hDhahrhkh was too busy stealing the scene and chewing the scenery to take care of Ollie before he ruined his dumb plan of resetting the world for his cult.

Chase, armed only with the incentive of completely ruining the man who killed his bastard father, has so far gotten Oliver to inadvertently kill innocent people, destroyed his vigilante's image, gotten his allies to question his actions to the point of leaving him or even flatout betraying him, convinced the city that the mayor is becoming more and more corrupt, and begun to break Oliver repeatedly. All because he found Oliver's true weakness: his own thought process.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show's villains seem to be more effective when they're specifically targeting Oliver.

Ra's was absent too much for it to really work with him, but Slade and Chase's entire plans are just "gently caress with Ollie" and they don't have death cults or earthquake machines or anything else going on.

I guess the catch is you can't have every season be "This time it's personal!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Obviously it's a game involving steps.

I got it! They're playing hopscotch!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aphrodite posted:

The show's villains seem to be more effective when they're specifically targeting Oliver.

Ra's was absent too much for it to really work with him, but Slade and Chase's entire plans are just "gently caress with Ollie" and they don't have death cults or earthquake machines or anything else going on.

I guess the catch is you can't have every season be "This time it's personal!"

With the amount CWDC heroes gently caress up and gently caress people over, maybe they can!

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of absent characters, I wonder if we're going to see the guy who disguises his face again any time soon. I had to look him up to be reminded he walked off into the sunset, but it's weird that character is just lying on the table somewhere.

More on point, I'm really surprised at Arrow. Through Seasons 3 and 4, I kind of made a point tell some of my friends who read comics how the show hosed up this week, but this season's had pretty much just the one tripping point, and everyone in the show seems content to ignore that episode, so. I don't think I've ever seen a show so abruptly go from painfully bad to actually really good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bad Moon posted:

With the amount CWDC heroes gently caress up and gently caress people over, maybe they can!

:stare: "It's another person from your past out for revenge? How many enemies have you made, Oliver?"
:downs: "Uhhh...."
:stare: "OK, how many that could conceivably come back for revenge?"
:downs: "Uhh..."
:stare: "OK, how many that are ninjas?
:downs: "..."
:stare: "Male ninjas in their early thirties?"
:downs: "Do you want me to just run through the top twenty?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cran posted:

Speaking of absent characters, I wonder if we're going to see the guy who disguises his face again any time soon. I had to look him up to be reminded he walked off into the sunset, but it's weird that character is just lying on the table somewhere.

Rory? Ragman? Yeah, I thought it was kinda strange that he was introduced, added to the team, and then written off in the span of five or ten episodes. It looked like they were trying to give him some characterization beats and flesh him out a little, then he just abruptly had to return to his home planet. People have commented that yeah, he was kind of a power mismatch with the rest of the Arrow crew -- it kinda changes the dynamic when one guy is magical and bulletproof and the rest of the team is just sorta good at shooting things and kicking people. But like, if it was hard for them to write action scenes around Ragman outclassing everyone, shouldn't that have been an issue that came up before the actor ever showed up on set? Unless he comes back in an important way, I really don't see why they ever bothered to create that character in the first place.

e: I mean, I liked him, but the show would be stronger if they either kept him around and continued his storylines or never had him join the team in the first place. I'd also second the thought that Rene/Wild Dog has been fantastic, way more interesting of a character than I'd expected.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 18, 2017

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I think he was talking about Human Target.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Phenotype posted:

Rory? Ragman?

He's referring to the Human Target, the guy who took the assassination attempt for Ollie earlier with the Mission Impossible face mask tech.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh, totally forgot about that guy. Felt like he was a crossover from an NBC action thriller. I never got the feeling that he was more than a one-use contact like Constantine, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aquasnake posted:

I think he was talking about Human Target.

If it ain't Mark Valley, I don't give a poo poo.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I hope if we do get an all Dinah episode we go back to Hub City and get Question. Come on, writers, just do it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Potato posted:

I hope if we do get an all Dinah episode we go back to Hub City and get Question. Come on, writers, just do it.

"Hmm.... Helicopters falling from the sky......no police response.....this all ties back to the girl scouts being responsible for the crop circle phenomenon"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the more I think of it the more I definitely want to see Oliver have to deal with an insane conspiracy nut detective.

Hopefully after that he gets shipped off to Earth-Whatever so Kara has to deal with him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part of the Question in The DCAU was him telling Luthor he can't afford to let Superman be the one to kill him and just casually takes off his tie to strangle him to death.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's hard to pick a favorite part of DCAU Question, even before I began to imagine him as one of the Weyoun clones from DS9 who got trapped here then went insane and decided to become a super hero.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't want funny DCAU Question, I want ridiculously grim and relentlessly depressing O'Neil Question

they could adapt that one issue where an old lady waits for the bus but there's a transit strike because the city hadn't been able to pay bus drivers in months so the bus never shows up so she freezes to death in the snow.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
:stonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Yeah no thank you, either give me paranoid Question who fights with bedpans and Cadillac cars or don't bother.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, the comics version of Hub city is preeeeeetttty grim.

Now that Ollie's the mayor, I want Vic Sage to show up as a crusading journalist, just totally after the obviously corrupt mayor Queen. The could go half a season of that before we see the Question proper, and it would still be great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That original Question run is friggin brilliant. It pushes superhero grimness so hard and yet it never feels too much or forced - its just how this own horrible city operates.

Really, its hard to go wrong with the Question. The JLU version is rightly praised, but you could also go with Rucka's version of the character too and still have a great time.

He/She's a natural fit for Arrow's world and I have to imagine the Charlton Comics baggage is the only reason we haven't seen them.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

He/She's a natural fit for Arrow's world and I have to imagine the Charlton Comics baggage is the only reason we haven't seen them.

Isn't that done by now?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Excellent use of Malcolm there.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

hey Evelyn is back!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

nooneofconsequence posted:

hey Evelyn is back!

And now she's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

nooneofconsequence posted:

hey Evelyn's neck!

• Locked thread