Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

Hell I missed the part where someone says that the game retroactively ruined me 1-3. And besides:

rear end Defect: Disastermoda retroactively ruined my fourth birthday party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Avalerion posted:

Might have been the genophage one? The krogan just... got better during the time spend in cryo, so it's no longer a thing.

Their birth chance went to 4%. That's not really a super rate, even if it is tons better than the 1 ‰ from before.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Serf posted:

Which is like the dumbest thing ever too. How the gently caress would they experience any biological changes while literally frozen.. Just say the AIs came up with a solution because they're super smart and the trip took 600 years. Or poo poo, Krogan live for thousands of years anyways, they could've just figured it out themselves along the way.

But in the end, Bioware knows that the people want krogan, and so they get krogan.

They say they're undergoing experimental gene therapy while in the sleep pods. Which is still very handwave-y, admittedly.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Serf posted:

The thing is that making games in the same genre as Bioware and Bethesda is hard and expensive. And they kinda cornered the market on them a long time ago apparently because no one wants to make games that try to compete with them.

Well, the competition door for space RPG's is wide open after this debacle.

Call in the reinforcements for companies that hire anyone over the age of 12.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
But Mass Effect is all about hard science without hand waving right?

*uses literal space magic to fling person away*

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Mymla posted:

I don't like that he's a dude, but I could deal with that if he didn't also read like a 15 year old boy's original D&D character.
Yeah see this is why I can't get through any of The Witcher games, complete with all the HOT SEXXXY SORCERESSES (yes I know there's a lore reason and yes I think it's stupid, much like the Asari's gimmick) and a bit too much "grimdark" misogyny for my tastes (it's fine that it's part of the setting, but it's just a little too edgelordy for me). And also the fact that I play RPGs to design and play my own character, and I'm loving bored of playing white cis straight dudes.

e: Oh yeah, is anyone gonna make an ME:A multiplayer thread?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They linked to stuff which was speculation based on spoilery things that happened in the trial section.

I think that was me trying to find anything which would make a goon so upset, and it was still stretching it.

When what really upset them was when goons stopped caring about that "The Persecution and Assassination of Bioware as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Edmonton Under the Direction of the Mac de Walters" diatribe.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Hulk Krogan posted:

They say they're undergoing experimental gene therapy while in the sleep pods. Which is still very handwave-y, admittedly.

Increasing your viable birthrate by 4x and no longer living on Death Planet Tuchanka would probably do wonders for your population growth

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

So i accidentally left my game running and my time ran out before i could even run around the nexus.

I'm guessing deleting and redownloading won't work eh?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
wonder why bioware and bethesda are movin towards more bland illusory choice in their dialogue rather than distinct illusory choice.

now that there's no jerk options But several shades of good seems like ur character is basically the same through multiple playthroughs even if the choices were never gonna change anyway~

Paragon and renegade werent the best but they were pretty entertaining

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

GET MY BELT SON posted:

So i accidentally left my game running and my time ran out before i could even run around the nexus.

I'm guessing deleting and redownloading won't work eh?

I'm glad I'm not the only person that did this. I remade my character because she was ugly AF and I hadn't gotten far enough for the game to save when I had to leave the house so I thought "no problem I'll just leave it running."

When I got home and my brain put two and two together I felt like a loving idiot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

That tracks somewhat better than what I initially heard, which was that krogan biology is self correcting (I think this was in ME2), and they fixed themselves somewhat along the way. Still begs the question of how a popsicle is getting experimented on but whatever.

Really the trend with Andromeda seems to be giving the dumbest explanations for everything. The Initiative didn't leave fleeing the Reapers, which would have made a fuckload more sense, no they left because they just wanted to gently caress off to another galaxy because some human CEO thought it would be cool. Why are there all these pre-existing Milky Way structures and people out there in a game ostensibly about being a pathfinder? Well of course you arrived late, but nobody else showed up and some folks left and put all this familiar poo poo around the place because we're too lazy to make more than 2 new aliens. Seriously, even if it was just that the human ark showed up late and the rest of the species had gone buck wild on Andromeda and now you're dealing with some Forever War stuff, that would've been better than this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Serf posted:

Which is like the dumbest thing ever too. How the gently caress would they experience any biological changes while literally frozen.. Just say the AIs came up with a solution because they're super smart and the trip took 600 years. Or poo poo, Krogan live for thousands of years anyways, they could've just figured it out themselves along the way.

But in the end, Bioware knows that the people want krogan, and so they get krogan.

I feel like they didn't even need to come up with a handwavey solution to make it work. Just be like "we sent one of our fertile females on the expedition because it was important for [reason]"

Unless I forget how the genophage works

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

They should have just made the entire game about krogan traveling to andromeda to be conquerors and they could bring those dinosaur mounts that were cloned in ME3 and then we wouldn't have to deal with lovely looking human faces.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cowcaster posted:

personally, to advertise bioware products mostly

Anyone that visits NeoGaf should have their internet taken away.

Forever.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

From what I recall, the Genophage actually just set the krogans viable birth rate to be about equal with the rest of the intelligent races in the milky way, but Krogans being krogans it wasn't enough to keep population steady. Before that, one female could have thousands of children easily.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person that did this. I remade my character because she was ugly AF and I hadn't gotten far enough for the game to save when I had to leave the house so I thought "no problem I'll just leave it running."

When I got home and my brain put two and two together I felt like a loving idiot.

Yea I feel like a dope

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I want more spoilers! Rather have them leave after ME3, as a sort of plan B.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like they didn't even need to come up with a handwavey solution to make it work. Just be like "we sent one of our fertile females on the expedition because it was important for [reason]"

Unless I forget how the genophage works

This is also a better explanation.

Turbl posted:

They should have just made the entire game about krogan traveling to andromeda to be conquerors and they could bring those dinosaur mounts that were cloned in ME3 and then we wouldn't have to deal with lovely looking human faces.

Bioware hire this person.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Serf posted:

Watching Austin Walker try to replicate PeeBee's teeth-baring face was some funny poo poo.

Speaking of which, I noticed that Andromeda and RE7 both have really loving detailed teeth on the character models. Was there some advancement in teeth-rendering technology recently?

Aloy from Horizon has crooked bottom teeth, even. I thought that was a nice touch to have since everyone usually has perfect straight teeth.

Though her having all her teeth and them be super white doesn't make sense in the game setting, but one thing at a time.

I decided to pass on the EA early access because I'm going to get this on the PS4 and don't want to have to redo everything or get some cool MP pack that I can't keep using. Looking forward to Tuesday!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

wonder why bioware and bethesda are movin towards more bland illusory choice in their dialogue rather than distinct illusory choice.

now that there's no jerk options But several shades of good seems like ur character is basically the same through multiple playthroughs even if the choices were never gonna change anyway~

Paragon and renegade werent the best but they were pretty entertaining

It sucks because it means we wont get anything like this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQI4G_fXokc

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

It does seem like they're leaning towards an ulterior motive for the Andromeda initiative, though they don't really tell you enough to know what it is yet.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Utnayan posted:

Anyone that visits NeoGaf should have their internet taken away.

Forever.

People joke about SA being somewhat of an echo chamber, but wow, neogaf's on a whole 'nother level.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i want this game to b a hot mess like dragon age 2, not a dumb one like fallout 4

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

AngryBooch posted:

A lot of folks like to talk poo poo on Bioware and Bethesda games

They're bad

quote:

and talk up other games that don't do remotely the same things

Be bad?

quote:

at the same production values.

Be bad and expensive?

quote:

There was this weird Mass Effect rip-off that was based on Greek Mythology called Rise of the Argonauts, it was real bad.

Sounds like a Bioware or Bethesda game: bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

From what I recall, the Genophage actually just set the krogans viable birth rate to be about equal with the rest of the intelligent races in the milky way, but Krogans being krogans it wasn't enough to keep population steady. Before that, one female could have thousands of children easily.

The reason Mordin Did Nothing Wrong is that the Council Races set themselves up for a lose-lose situation. The Krogan were still operating on the rules of their planet, which was super dangerous to the point that they had to have thousands of kids at a time because natural hazards would kill off the vast majority of them. When they uplifted the Krogans to fight the Rachni, they had to choose between "keep letting them have thousands of kids, all of which will survive to maturity now, and they will take over the Milky Way" or "pseudo-sterilize them so that Krogan population grows at the same rate as everyone else".

Serf
May 5, 2011

It does seem like they're leaning towards an ulterior motive for the Andromeda initiative, though they don't really tell you enough to know what it is yet.

I know they're gonna ruin it with some cloak and dagger poo poo concerning DadRyder or whatever, but as it is, the hilarious failure of this private colonization endeavor could've made for a halfway decent critique of capitalism.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

they do mention in a codex entry that the Initiative receives a huge increase in funding in the early 2180s so it's possible it got co-opted as a Reaper escape plan

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Heaven help me I still want a pet pyjack and the multiplayer even though I'm so down about the single player.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Heaven help me I still want a pet pyjack and the multiplayer even though I'm so down about the single player.

you've got a problem, friend

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Codependent Poster posted:

Aloy from Horizon has crooked bottom teeth, even. I thought that was a nice touch to have since everyone usually has perfect straight teeth.

Though her having all her teeth and them be super white doesn't make sense in the game setting, but one thing at a time.

Have you ever seen pictures of native tribes people today? Lotta shiny white teeth. Refined sugar is a hell of a drug. It's not unrealistic at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

The reason Mordin Did Nothing Wrong is that the Council Races set themselves up for a lose-lose situation. The Krogan were still operating on the rules of their planet, which was super dangerous to the point that they had to have thousands of kids at a time because natural hazards would kill off the vast majority of them. When they uplifted the Krogans to fight the Rachni, they had to choose between "keep letting them have thousands of kids, all of which will survive to maturity now, and they will take over the Milky Way" or "pseudo-sterilize them so that Krogan population grows at the same rate as everyone else".

This is a cool nuanced detail that gets absolutely flushed down the toilet and neglected in ME3

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Serf posted:

The Initiative didn't leave fleeing the Reapers, which would have made a fuckload more sense, no they left because they just wanted to gently caress off to another galaxy because some human CEO thought it would be cool.

And that CEO's name? Armistan Banes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

precision posted:

It's gotta be hella depressing to know that the vast majority of your children won't even be born alive though, so I can see why the krogan would be pissed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kirios posted:

you've got a problem, friend

:sigh: I know.

I'm probably going to get this game at some point, but I really think I will delay it at least until I have a video card that doesn't lock me to the absolute lowest settings on everything, and hopefully a bunch of stuff gets patched. As people keep saying, there just aren't enough people that make these kinds of games, and it'll be at least two years before I get to see what's happening with the next Dragon Age, if this debacle doesn't somehow destroy the company in some spectacular way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

marshmallow creep posted:

why would you even want a pet pyjack one of the best things about mass effect was the minigame where you blew them up with rocket launchers

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yeah see this is why I can't get through any of The Witcher games, complete with all the HOT SEXXXY SORCERESSES (yes I know there's a lore reason and yes I think it's stupid, much like the Asari's gimmick) and a bit too much "grimdark" misogyny for my tastes (it's fine that it's part of the setting, but it's just a little too edgelordy for me). And also the fact that I play RPGs to design and play my own character, and I'm loving bored of playing white cis straight dudes.

e: Oh yeah, is anyone gonna make an ME:A multiplayer thread?

:razz:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pattonesque posted:

they do mention in a codex entry that the Initiative receives a huge increase in funding in the early 2180s so it's possible it got co-opted as a Reaper escape plan

Yeah I'm betting on this being at least one of the minor "twists" or plot points or whatever. The timing of a massive lifeboat initiative launching less than a year before the Reapers arrive is just way too perfect to be a coincidence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serf posted:

That tracks somewhat better than what I initially heard, which was that krogan biology is self correcting (I think this was in ME2), and they fixed themselves somewhat along the way. Still begs the question of how a popsicle is getting experimented on but whatever.

Really the trend with Andromeda seems to be giving the dumbest explanations for everything. The Initiative didn't leave fleeing the Reapers, which would have made a fuckload more sense, no they left because they just wanted to gently caress off to another galaxy because some human CEO thought it would be cool. Why are there all these pre-existing Milky Way structures and people out there in a game ostensibly about being a pathfinder? Well of course you arrived late, but nobody else showed up and some folks left and put all this familiar poo poo around the place because we're too lazy to make more than 2 new aliens. Seriously, even if it was just that the human ark showed up late and the rest of the species had gone buck wild on Andromeda and now you're dealing with some Forever War stuff, that would've been better than this.

Why would the Andromeda Initiative be about escaping the Reapers when

A) Very few people know or believe the Reapers exist before ME3 and by then it's too late for a project of this scope

B) The whole point of Andromeda is to flush the reviled parts of the franchise. Such as Reapers

Like yeah probably a few higher ups or investors knew but that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

Yeah, the frog people who can punch hard will take over the galaxy. Our intergalactic warships are no match for their strong punching.