Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://vimeo.com/208831875

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

are you being really obtuse about the use of the word "prediction" here or what

There are no statistical grounds for predicting the outcome of a (truly random) dice roll, ever. Each side is equally likely and no prediction can be made more accurate than random chance.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whens the last time DC pulled out of a fight?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
bader's takedown attempt on rumble was one of the most desperate things i've ever seen in my life

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Whens the last time DC pulled out of a fight?

Against jones last year

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DeimosRising posted:

There are no statistical grounds for predicting the outcome of a (truly random) dice roll, ever. Each side is equally likely and no prediction can be made more accurate than random chance.

No no no you got it all wrong. Once you roll the die, the same number is less likely to come up. So if I roll a 4, because doubles only have a 1 in 36 chance I know that there's only a 1 in 36 chance of getting another 4. Other numbers are more due.

Just like with slot machines. Especially the computerized video ones.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

are you being really obtuse about the use of the word "prediction" here or what

If you roll a die one time, what is the predicted outcome

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Have you been to high school

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

No no no you got it all wrong. Once you roll the die, the same number is less likely to come up. So if I roll a 4, because doubles only have a 1 in 36 chance I know that there's only a 1 in 36 chance of getting another 4. Other numbers are more due.

Looks like we're due for some good posting any time now.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's why it's called the Gambler's Paradise.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

That is the opposite of true. If you rolled a sufficiently high numbe of times you would expect an approximately even distribution of results. If you rolled a 4 five times in a row, the odds of rolling another 4 is 1/6. The rolls are independent, and previous results don't give you any more predictive power.

This discussion is extremely tagential and was brought up simply to illustrate that some fool didn't understand prob & stats (don't remember which fool), but instead it seems to be illustrating that many fools don't understand many things

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

That is the opposite of true. If you rolled a sufficiently high numbe of times you would expect an approximately even distribution of results. If you rolled a 4 five times in a row, the odds of rolling another 4 is 1/6. The rolls are independent, and previous results don't give you any more predictive power.

This discussion is extremely tagential and was brought up simply to illustrate that some fool didn't understand prob & stats (don't remember which fool), but instead it seems to be illustrating that many fools don't understand many things

:thejoke:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

david carmichael posted:

I believe he was joking.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There's a one in one probability you're a loving dweeb

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Maybe I have you confused, but I thought you were the real judo footlock guy so I just erred on assuming you were a cretin. My apologies

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

Maybe I have you confused, but I thought you were the real judo footlock guy so I just erred on assuming you were a cretin. My apologies

I'm a judo guy but I never remember posting anything about judo footlocks other than a two-sentence explanation of how they came to be banned like 140 years ago.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I'm a judo guy but I never remember posting anything about judo footlocks other than a two-sentence explanation of how they came to be banned like 140 years ago.

There was a judo guy who posted about how bending the toes was the most devastating move in history. I must have confused you with him. Apologies

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

david carmichael posted:

There was a judo guy who posted about how bending the toes was the most devastating move in history. I must have confused you with him. Apologies

that was icihbahn

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

I will own that I badpost sometimes, particularly in the too-speculative flight-of-fancy way, but not that kind of bad.

Namaste.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

That's a different dude and I thought telisential or whatever was his rereg.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was that the guy who doesn't know what a toehold is?

I mean I don't know either but I'm not making any claims about them.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

bader's takedown attempt on rumble was one of the most desperate things i've ever seen in my life

that whole fight is like watching someone drown

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

...and the pitch! posted:

Was that the guy who doesn't know what a toehold is?

uh everybody knows what a toehold is, the big toe is the repository of most of the body's chi so if you hold the toe you have command of their fighting spirit

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

david carmichael posted:

If you roll a die one time, what is the predicted outcome

i was never arguing this, i'm saying this:

david carmichael posted:

Like you don't use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out, you use them to predict expected results over many dice rolls

in the context of using statistics to predict single fights is a somewhat silly thing to say

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The chi flows nuts to head dude. Cmon.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
mods please rename me Ryan Bayesder

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

The chi flows nuts to head dude. Cmon.

And it goes through the big toe? That doesn't sound very efficient.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

...and the pitch! posted:

And it goes through the big toe? That doesn't sound very efficient.

the archangel michael blows your soul into your left nostril when you come out of your mom. the body is very complicated.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpVopAezDdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWdCWeDbgqA

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

lmao what clip is that first one from

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Serious Q: Is a reach advantage an advantage?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Could someone please source that an advantage is a positive thing

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bundt Cake posted:

Serious Q: Is a reach advantage an advantage?

I dunno man, it's kind of a reach to ask that

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

kensei posted:

I dunno man, it's kind of a reach to ask that

If your arms were too short to armbar,,,, would SHORT arms be a different kind of reach advantage?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Longer arms might help outside of a fight too, like if you had to reach into a car wreck to pull out your bail money, that would be a time you would like to have long arms as well

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I feel like I have heard that having super gangly arms or legs can make it harder to get a good squeeze in some subs but that really is reaching for a disadvantage.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bundt Cake posted:

Longer arms might help outside of a fight too, like if you had to reach into a car wreck to pull out your bail money, that would be a time you would like to have long arms as well

Lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
If I had to get in a fight , id hope the other guy was bigger than me, so I could land quicker and get more hits. His one punch v my five, etc

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lmao what clip is that first one from

I wish i knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Bundt Cake posted:

If I had to get in a fight , id hope the other guy was bigger than me, so I could land quicker and get more hits. His one punch v my five, etc

Who's to say that punching someone is even an advantage in a fight. A lot of fights are won via kicks, submissions, positional advantages, and so on.

• Locked thread