Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

silvergoose posted:

Unless there's a pre-nup involved, the statement "Your finances will magically become pretty integrated in a divorce so they may as well be integrated in marriage." applies perfectly.

Hell yeah there's a pre-nup.

Always pre-nup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine went the whole pre-nup route and keeps encouraging each successive friend-to-be-married to do the same. I get the desire to keep existing assets separate, but if you're married long enough no pre-nup is going to protect you from paying out 50% of what you made while married.

Pre-nups are good if you have non-liquid assets (think land) that grows in value, but you might not have cash to cover your soon-to-be-ex-partner's share. Or you could just do it like royalty and marry your cousins to keep it all in the family.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My sister and her husband take the "roommates" approach to finances. She bought the house, he writes her a check for half the mortgage/the utilities every month. She pays the property taxes outright.

They have their own shelves in the fridge and go through separate checkout lines at the grocery store.
Man, I didn't even live like that with my actual roommates. If its in the fridge go ahead and eat it, I'll put a label on it if its super-special and you shouldn't.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My sister and her husband take the "roommates" approach to finances. She bought the house, he writes her a check for half the mortgage/the utilities every month. She pays the property taxes outright.

They have their own shelves in the fridge and go through separate checkout lines at the grocery store.

They're weird but it works for them. Doesn't seem to be related to a lack of love or trust or anything, they just like having their Own Stuff?

I bet all this crap goes out the window when people have babies. 2 hours of sleep a night for 5 years and you're not gonna bust out your checkbook for the $1.37 milk and cereal reimbursement.

Also, once you have kids, one parent usually has to take a step back from work/ work fewer hours. If you are both working towards promotions and are at the office late, the kids are gonna be left at daycare for 11 hours a day and that's not good for anyone. Does that parent just get screwed then?

Just pool your money you goons! If your partner can't be trusted to not spend the rent or nit-picks every purchase, maybe they're not a great partner.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nail Rat posted:

edit: and yeah, always prenup. If I ever get married again I will not listen to "that means we're just getting married to get divorced and I'm not :downs: " because I've heard that before.

It bugs me that people don't get that there are things that can change in your life that neither of you could foresee. What happens if your spouse gets a traumatic brain injury from a car accident and turns into an abusive drunk? How about if they get caught up in fraud at their job and end up going to prison and having their paychecks garnished for the rest of their life?
There are a lot of things that can happen that "our love will solve everything" won't be able to address. (hey, it's more likely that the divorce will be a garden variety one for the "normal" reasons, but shhhh)

I didn't get a prenup because my approach was to go into marriage with practically zero assets. :v:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think you should all do whatever you want with your married assets, because it's going to be different for everyone.

My wife and I combined finances when we got engaged and everything is "ours."

Even my god damned peanut butter patties that I buy one box of a year. Even. Those.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SquirrelFace posted:

Just pool your money you goons! If your partner can't be trusted to not spend the rent or nit-picks every purchase, maybe they're not a great partner.

Or they're experiencing mental illness, like mania.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Combined is so much easier than separate accounts, for those that said they are too lazy to do it. Takes 15 min in a bank to sign one spouse onto the other spouses account, and then you can close the other one by phone, or keep it and let it sit. Then you're done. Separate accounts actually take way more effort. Planning who pays for what, who owes who what, cutting checks, etc. Seems like such a hassle.

Our paychecks go into the same account, and our credit cards draw out of the same account. Super easy to budget and plan for the future.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SquirrelFace posted:

Also, once you have kids, one parent usually has to take a step back from work/ work fewer hours. If you are both working towards promotions and are at the office late, the kids are gonna be left at daycare for 11 hours a day and that's not good for anyone. Does that parent just get screwed then?

Well, you could both track the amount of non-discretionary time you spend on/with your children, and whoever has the excess bills those hours back to the household as a childcare expense, based on the lost income incurred as a result. That way the cost is clear, and if the other partner feels that it's too steep they have the option of cutting back their own working hours to take over more time instead.

What's really tricky is trying to balance things out during pregnancy and breastfeeding, because you'd want to calculate what additional intake the mother has that is being passed to the child, and bill that back to the household as well.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Or they're experiencing mental illness, like mania.

If they're manic that's more reason to pool your money so you can notice when it goes missing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Inept posted:

If they're manic that's more reason to pool your money so you can notice when it goes missing.

My MIL is super bipolar and her mania usually includes spending everything she has so my FIL puts an allowance in "her" account because basically she is really bad about being consistent about her meds.

She once wrote a "new testament for the bible" that was like 60 pages, she went to kinkos and printed 1000 copies of it and started distributing it to churches all around their city. That got her finances reigned in real fuckin tight.
edit - also that same week she redid the tile in their bathroom. It's horribly ugly but it is spotless and perfect. Bipolar mania is loving insane. #reasonsimnotgoingtopassonmypoisongenes (my mom was also bipolar)

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inept posted:

:stare: Nope. Then they can spend everything and you have no recourse since they were on the account. Its like the whole reason spend-thrift trusts and custodian accounts exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inept posted:

This is not a good plan.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ashcans posted:

Well, you could both track the amount of non-discretionary time you spend on/with your children, and whoever has the excess bills those hours back to the household as a childcare expense, based on the lost income incurred as a result. That way the cost is clear, and if the other partner feels that it's too steep they have the option of cutting back their own working hours to take over more time instead.

What's really tricky is trying to balance things out during pregnancy and breastfeeding, because you'd want to calculate what additional intake the mother has that is being passed to the child, and bill that back to the household as well.

Ugh, not another time-based costing vs activity-based costing derail in the thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ashcans posted:

You're being oh so wry, but it's sometimes suggested in earnest. One of the biggest costs to women who stay home is the setback it represents to their career, independent of lost wages, and the spreadsheet tends to exclude it. Family court, happily, doesn't.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My MIL is bipolar and I don't see why it's not a good plan. It's actually imperative. Pooled/shared finances does not mean that each partner should have equal CONVENIENT access to the money. And you really don't want the bipolar partner managing any significant amount of money. If you do, you might as well assume you're saving for retirement for both parties.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rurutia posted:

My MIL is bipolar and I don't see why it's not a good plan. It's actually imperative. Pooled/shared finances does not mean that each partner should have equal CONVENIENT access to the money. And you really don't want the bipolar partner managing any significant amount of money. If you do, you might as well assume you're saving for retirement for both parties.

Yes, I took it to mean shared primary accounts with the usual access.

(I have bipolar disorder, though it's type 2 so it has mostly manifested in a bloated Steam catalog and large charitable donations.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:( Ask me why I owe the IRS $18,000 this year

Man, and I thought owing 5k for the 2nd year in a row was annoying.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
More horse BWM , courtesy of r/legaladvice

quote:

I got hired by an equestrian center, where I was working with horses and stallions. I was only there a week when the owner of the stallions asked me to walk behind a stallion with a broom to get him to go back into his stall. The particular horse we were getting into the stall doesn't like another stallion in a different stall that we were walking past. He started to freak out, reared up both rear legs and kicked out, my hand was broken in the process, a complete fracture to one of my bones. Surgery was needed, and a plate and seven screws were needed to fix the break. It was going to go on workmans comp, until the owner of the horse barn told me he hadn't put me on the books yet, when he said he was going to on my hire date. He ended up paying me cash the week after my surgery with a written pay stub. My boss was going to put it on the barn insurance and told me to lie to the adjuster about how the incident had happened in order for them to cover it. I chose not to lie and told them the truth. The insurance took 3 months to come to a decision of which they denied to cover it because they do not cover medical. My surgery is costing $25,000 of which the owner of the horse is not willing to pay. I need to take action as it has now been 4 months since the incident and my surgery. I have the text messages and voice-mail of my boss telling me to lie to the adjuster and I still have the written paystub. I had contacted Sam Bernstein and Feiger law and they said they could not help. What should my next plan of action be? I don't see how I don't have a case...

Yes, insurance fraud is the best solution to this horse related issue!

Also, my husband and I keep talking about wanting to buy a house in the country by his family. He keeps saying he wants horses. All the more reason for us to keep separate accounts.

(In his defense, he's from KY, and horses there are really cheap because everyone has the next Seabiscuit, and then when they don't, they offload them for the tens of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars. And he grew up with horses, and wants our son to grow up learning how to ride. Luckily he is willing to compromise and just pay for lessons or find a neighbor who will just let our son ride for free to exercise the horses, or will trade lessons for barn work.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money - I got hired by an equestrian center...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

(I have bipolar disorder, though it's type 2 so it has mostly manifested in a bloated Steam catalog and large charitable donations.)

I also have bipolar 2 and about 8-10 years ago I bought so many craft supplies (beads, fabric, yarn, etc) that I am STILL working through them.

Taking your meds: GWM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't have bipolar and I've still managed to buy enough hobby supplies and start enough half-finished projects that i'll be set for decades to come, maybe i'm just dumb :sweatdrop:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have ADHD and can completely commiserate vis a vis: taking of meds and unfinished tasks, like this one time I

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Listening to Vampire Weekend about the merits of the Oxford Comma: BWM

quote:

A US dairy faces an overtime bill of about $10m, after a group of truck drivers won a pay dispute that hinged on some punctuation.

An appeal court sided with the drivers, saying the lack of a comma in the state of Maine's overtime laws made the regulations too ambiguous.

The ruling has been branded "profoundly nerdy" by Quartz, while the Guardian says it "will delight grammar nerds and Oxford comma enthusiasts anywhere".

So how did it happen?

Well, Maine's law says the following activities do not qualify for overtime pay: "The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of: (1) Agricultural produce; (2) Meat and fish products; and (3) Perishable foods."

The drivers said the lack of a comma between "shipment" and "or distribution" meant the legislation applied only to the single activity of "packing", rather than to "packing" and "distribution" as two separate activities.

And because drivers distribute the goods, but do not pack them, they argued they were therefore eligible for overtime pay - backdated over several years.

And another $70 million comma.

quote:

When US defence giant Lockheed Martin signed a deal to build Hercules military transport aircraft for an unnamed air force, it knew manufacturing would take several years.

So the contract it drew up in 1999 stated that the price of the planes would increase over time, to account for inflation.

Unfortunately the formula used to work out the price of the aircraft had a typo: a comma that was one decimal place out.

A senior Lockheed executive at the time was quoted as saying: "That comma cost Lockheed $70m."

And a $333 million dollar comma

quote:

In December 2005, stock market trading in a newly listed Japanese company was thrown into chaos by a broker's typing error.

Shares in J-Com plunged after the broker at Mizuho Securities tried to sell 610,000 shares at 1 yen each. They had meant to sell one share for 610,000 yen.

A fault at the Tokyo Stock Exchange meant the deal could not be reversed, costing Mizuho about 40bn yen (worth $333m or £190m at the time).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Huh you know it's almost like words mean things

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

NancyPants posted:

Huh you know it's almost like words mean things

but words are a social construct!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

but words are a social construct!

Don't think of any giraffes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Don't think of any giraffes.

I thought of an elephant when you said that for some reason

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

I thought of an elephant when you said that for some reason

Because I usually say pink elephant.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

AA is for Quitters posted:

More horse BWM , courtesy of r/legaladvice

Yes, insurance fraud is the best solution to this horse related issue!

Also, my husband and I keep talking about wanting to buy a house in the country by his family. He keeps saying he wants horses. All the more reason for us to keep separate accounts.

(In his defense, he's from KY, and horses there are really cheap because everyone has the next Seabiscuit, and then when they don't, they offload them for the tens of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars. And he grew up with horses, and wants our son to grow up learning how to ride. Luckily he is willing to compromise and just pay for lessons or find a neighbor who will just let our son ride for free to exercise the horses, or will trade lessons for barn work.)

Yeah, that seems like a straight-up employment law issue. 'Business hires employee, doesn't do the paperwork in a timely manner, employee is injured on the job' is a pretty old one.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It's not like it is a gotcha technicality; the way it is written doesn't include distribution. The intent might have been something else, but the language is unambiguous.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

It's not like it is a gotcha technicality; the way it is written doesn't include distribution. The intent might have been something else, but the language is unambiguous.
Programmers don't make this mistake (in production, after rigorous testing, most of the time***) because we constantly have to ensure the order of operations on logical OR and AND are doing what we mean them to.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

therobit posted:

lol no, the whole decision was based on the fact that the language IS ambiguous, in which case the court has to side the employees

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The serial/oxford comma is really a test of interpretation. Does the rest of the document use it? Then this instance is probably also using the oxford comma. If the rest of the document doesn't, then this sentence probably reflects that as well. Really, the case is to consistently use it or consistently not use it.

Also, most oxford comma issues could he fixed by just using a better order within the list.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I thought the oxford comma only applied to cases where it was completely optional, as in no ambiguity, 100% stylistic choice. Anywhere else and it's just a regular ol' comma.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It might also be that the case wasn't actually soley decided on the basis of the comma but that that's what the paper runs with because it's more catchy. They might have also taken other context clues into consideration when construing that overtime norm.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I thought the oxford comma only applied to cases where it was completely optional, as in no ambiguity, 100% stylistic choice. Anywhere else and it's just a regular ol' comma.

Best practice is to just never drop the comma, even when doing so wouldn't create ambiguity. Dropping it is a pointless affectation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Randler posted:

It might also be that the case wasn't actually soley decided on the basis of the comma but that that's what the paper runs with because it's more catchy. They might have also taken other context clues into consideration when construing that overtime norm.

Seems to have been pretty key.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Best practice is to just never drop the comma, even when doing so wouldn't create ambiguity. Dropping it is a pointless affectation.

It makes me pause twice as long when reading and that's annoying and everyone in the world needs to conform to my opinions dammit :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It makes me, pause, twice as long, when reading, and that's annoying, and everyone, in the world, needs to conform, to my opinions, dammit :argh:

• Locked thread