Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

If I had to get in a fight , id hope the other guy was bigger than me, so I could land quicker and get more hits. His one punch v my five, etc

Id just stay on my bicycle and keep kicking them in the stomach, using leverage & my springy feet to reset distance indefinitely. there's no way they're gonna catch me

leg reach > arm reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I mean if I could see some mother loving peer reviewed Science!! For the win that said it was an advantage, maybe I'd think about it. I'm a rationalist.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Work Friend Keven posted:

I mean if I could see some mother loving peer reviewed Science!! For the win that said it was an advantage, maybe I'd think about it. I'm a rationalist.

sure here u go https://youtu.be/DS9vdoX3Ju0

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It is neither necessary nor sufficient to possess fingers in order to code. Indeed the existence of fingerless Coders (of which I am one) and their success at producing code places into doubt the entire utility of the finger as coding tool. Perhaps the finger, in encouraging by its very existence reliance upon a particular coding technique, produces an inherently inferior Coder.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i remember reading something about how shorter bones were better for baseball pitchers, all other conditions being equal, but i haven't seen anything on MMA:

Scientific American posted:

How fast these bones move toward home plate then determines the release velocity of the baseball. Because shorter forearm, wrist, hand and finger bones have less inertia to overcome, a baseball pitcher can move them faster through release. As a result, with the same amount of force applied, a baseball pitcher with shorter bones in his lower pitching arm can achieve higher release velocities.

my baseball coach in high school swore up and down that kirby puckett had it easier to hit because of his short arms but i've never seen anything on it, he gave me some explanation about fulcrums and levers and a shorter rotation on his hips

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Longer arms also afford other advantages, such as Joe Rogan and co never ever talking about any other aspect of your fighting skills besides how you are or are not using it optimally. Therefore limiting your oppositions ability to scout you.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Shorter arms make you look even more like a tiny weird steroidal baby if you fight below 145, which presumably is helpful in a way I'm currently not aware of.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Also if youre a short person, the other guy might try and punch you, only to find you below where he expects you to be. Hes punching thin air

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bundt Cake posted:

Also if youre a short person, the other guy might try and punch you, only to find you below where he expects you to be. Hes punching thin air

Dennis Siver would have been KOd by McGregor much sooner if he was tall enough to get hit by some of those kicks.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

still scores with the judges

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Only if he makes a loud Ha! Sound or slaps his leg with his other hand while punching.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

this is some goku level poo poo

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

imo the greatest advantage of all would be if you were half the size of a normal person but somehow twice as dense, like you cut from 190 to make the welterweight limit but you're only 3'0" tall. I can't explain exactly why I think this but I'm sure a fighter like that would be unbeatable

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Niko Price, Curtis Blaydes, and Abel Trujillo have all been fined $1,000 and suspended for 90 days by Texas for failing in-competition marijuana tests. Wins by Price and Blaydes were overturned to No Contest.

These suspensions will NOT be recognized by USADA, because Texas uses an absurdly low theshold for a positive test, and they did not fail their USADA in-competition tests. The 90-day suspensions still have to be observed though, because all commissions recognize each others suspensions, even if its an idiotic suspension from Texas.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Rigel posted:

Niko Price, Curtis Blaydes, and Abel Trujillo have all been fined $1,000 and suspended for 90 days by Texas for failing in-competition marijuana tests. Wins by Price and Blaydes were overturned to No Contest.

These suspensions will NOT be recognized by USADA, because Texas uses an absurdly low theshold for a positive test, and they did not fail their USADA in-competition tests. The 90-day suspensions still have to be observed though, because all commissions recognize each others suspensions, even if its an idiotic suspension from Texas.

What white nonsense

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
If you roll a die you have a 50% chance of getting # you want, either it is or isn't, three is the most common or "average" die roll

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

gently caress you man don't choose Oddjob it's so unfair

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

imo the greatest advantage of all would be if you were half the size of a normal person but somehow twice as dense, like you cut from 190 to make the welterweight limit but you're only 3'0" tall. I can't explain exactly why I think this but I'm sure a fighter like that would be unbeatable

We did this in mma playground. We had a league called Marble Fighting Championships and it was all fighters with the weight slider all the way up and the height slider all the way down. There were a lot of gas outs and kos.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

how you dense motherfuckers argued for two and a half pages about reach and who could understand probability the worst before someone posted this is beyond me

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Memento posted:

how you dense motherfuckers argued for two and a half pages about reach and who could understand probability the worst before someone posted this is beyond me

Maybe, just maybe, we do need a mod.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

So have we established what is fake yet? Where I live, we need an angry tiny big man to yell truths and lies into our faces.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
When you think about it, being good at fighting isn't even an advantage, because then you'll get more fights against better people.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://vid.me/iaXK

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

For a split second I thought Cormier was Wanderlei.

I'm a racist?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I vaguely remember during a fight Rogan talking about the tall thin body type being good for grappling, something about being able to find subs easier. I want to say it was someone (Tony Ferguson?) locking in a D'Arce choke.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

chaleski posted:

I vaguely remember during a fight Rogan talking about the tall thin body type being good for grappling, something about being able to find subs easier. I want to say it was someone (Tony Ferguson?) locking in a D'Arce choke.

:stare:rolling with slenderman:stare:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The closest thing we have to Slenderman in MMA is Jon Jones gouging people's eyes from across the cage

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

chaleski posted:

The closest thing we have to Slenderman in MMA is Jon Jones gouging people's eyes from across the cage

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rumble fought Vitor Belfort and lost because he got tired and gave up mentally when his first idea didn't succeed right away

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

When you think about it, being good at fighting isn't even an advantage, because then you'll get more fights against better people.

Ah, but consider the parable of Akiyama

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

In The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee the original mixed martial artist concludes its best to be dick height and master a punch with the length of one inch

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
Confucius Say : NO! NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!! NOOO!! NOOO!! NO! NO!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Is eastern philosophy why Travis Browne always looks like he is quantum leaping out of his body and back in again? Is he stuck in a Bardo or something?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

Id just stay on my bicycle and keep kicking them in the stomach, using leverage & my springy feet to reset distance indefinitely. there's no way they're gonna catch me

leg reach > arm reach

Are we going to find out that you've been Tim Sylvia this entire time, and you had the moral courage of a mobn to not speak out every time we ridiculed you

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

jay z's sedan posted:

Confucius Say : NO! NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!! NOOO!! NOOO!! NO! NO!!

... thats a bad stoppage ...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Rumble fought Vitor Belfort and lost because he got tired and gave up mentally when his first idea didn't succeed right away

It's sad that there's going to be a whole generation of fans who just grow up with 'Anthony Johnson - successful/terrifying light heavyweight' and know nothing of the tale of 'Anthony Johnson - The giantest welterweight (who somehow lost to Rich Clementi)'

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's sad that there's going to be a whole generation of fans who just grow up with 'Anthony Johnson - successful/terrifying light heavyweight' and know nothing of the tale of 'Anthony Johnson - The giantest welterweight (who somehow lost to Rich Clementi)'

His whole time at welter seems like some strange dream at this point.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Remember when he fought vitor and weighed in 900 pounds over somehow and the fight was him falling asleep, trapping vitor under his body.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Didn't work for that Z league MMA fighter with no legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Sean Sherk was pretty good, yeah

• Locked thread