Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh I'm definitely not gonna defend that one. I'm just saying Marisa Tomei owns in My Cousin Vinny is all.

I'm still not sure it deserves an Oscar, but really all I want to do is find ways to keep making GBS threads on the Academy for always making poor decisions.

Except getting Kimmel to host this year. That was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't remember who recommended the Michael Bolton Valentine's Special but good lord the Maya Rudolph segment is sheer brilliance.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Love Season 2. It's good!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Erebus posted:

The first two seasons of Lucha Underground just got added to Netflix. I imagine most people already know whether or not they're willing to watch pro wrestling, but it's worth saying that LU isn't the bloated three-hour mess of steroid hulks punching each other that most people know from the modern WWE style. It's a tighter-paced, more story-driven show with better cinematography. (The wrestlers still can't act, but I think that's part of the charm.) It also embraces a lot of the silliness and fantasy that companies like WWE have tried to leave behind.

It's a wrestling show with a time-traveling spaceman and a dragon in human form. A show where minor characters get killed off by being fed to a monster in the basement. A show with an angry ninja skeleton and a sexy teleporting ghost. It's also a wrestling show featuring people with very little regard for their own health and well-being.

http://i.imgur.com/o9TCR5j.mp4

I think what makes Lucha Underground work is that everything is literal. Drago isn't just a guy in a dragon mask. He is literally an ancient dragon. Aerostar doesn't just look like some inter-dimensional space traveler he is literally an inter-dimensional space traveler. He is also a rocket ship. Lucha Underground rules.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow Hulu kind of went down the toilet. Looks like Viacom pulled all the day after airing stuff.No more Daily Show etc.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Please respect My Cousin Vinny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah we dropped Hulu for now, the only thing I was using it for was reruns of Taxi and like two current shows (Legion is a big loss but I'll just wait for it to hit Netflix)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I finally started watching Rectify after putting it off forever. The best TV drama I've seen in years, hands down. It's harrowing as hell to have a West Memphis Three-type plot strung out for 45-minute episodes, but I'm only halfway through season 1 and riveted. It's like the TV equivalent of reading "Boule du Suif" where you're so goddamned angry but you respect the writing for pushing your buttons so masterfully.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChineseConnection posted:

Microwave Massacre is its own type of movie - a Z-Grade shot-on-video mess. It belongs in the same class as Woodchipper Massacre, Deadly Prey and Black Devil Doll From Hell. Even Samurai Cop or garbage tier Troma movies are a step above that mess. If you're into Microwave Massacre, check out Corpse Grinders and Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things on Amazon Prime.

Watched this one on Prime today and you must have seen an old release. They had it in HD and it looks like it was shot on actual film.

Honestly, I enjoyed it even more than Street Trash. It doesn't get super nutty but it's very colorful trash that doesn't overstay its welcome. I also thought it was pretty funny, both intentionally and unintentionally.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 16, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

Please respect My Cousin Vinny
Why pay to watch TDS the day after online via Hulu, when it's there for free on cc.com?

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Watched this one on Prime today and you must have seen an old release. They had it in HD and it looks like it was shot on actual film.

Honestly, I enjoyed it even more than Street Trash. It doesn't get super nutty but it's very colorful trash that doesn't overstay its welcome. I also thought it was pretty funny, both intentionally and unintentionally.

I came back to it recently and you're correct, the release on Prime is much, much better than what I saw before. I think there was a DVD release recently, so perhaps that instigated that much crisper version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChineseConnection posted:

I came back to it recently and you're correct, the release on Prime is much, much better than what I saw before. I think there was a DVD release recently, so perhaps that instigated that much crisper version.

Apparently it got a Blu-Ray release that was a 2K restoration from the original camera negative. Wouldn't be shocked to hear the Prime version is from the same master.

I love how streaming services have been getting the trickle down from all these boutique blu releases.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Why pay to watch TDS the day after online via Hulu, when it's there for free on cc.com?

Most smart TVs can watch Hulu, but not go to a webpage

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would never bother watching TDS in it's current state on my computer. It's good TV background noise with occasional insight though.

Hulu lost like, everything Viacom related though so it's pretty much a wasteland unless you want to watch network TV now. I'm just leeching an account from a friend and I barely use it so whatever, but I liked to throw TDS on after work while I was making dinner or folding laundry.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Viacom is leaving pretty much every streaming service in order to try and launch their own that nobody is going to watch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would have thought these companies would have learned their lesson about that by now

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

Viacom is leaving pretty much every streaming service in order to try and launch their own that nobody is going to watch.
Can somebody summarize what shows Viacom owns?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

david_a posted:

Can somebody summarize what shows Viacom owns?

Channels not shows

BET
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric
Channel 5
CMT
CMT Music
Comedy Central
Logo TV
MTV
MTV2
MTVU
MTV Classic
NickMusic
MTV Live
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
Nickelodeon
Nicktoons
Spike
TeenNick
Telefe
MTV Tres
TV Land
VH1
5Star
5USA

They also own Paramount Pictures.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Slums of Beverly Hills is on Netflix. Speaking of Marisa Tomei being good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
So the next step after these guys pull their stuff so they can have their own streaming services is for multiple companies to start doing what Prime does and allow you to buy access to the packages (that are mostly filled with garbage like any other tv station) basically as "channels", except they're channels you need to also pay a data fee to access, unlike the regular lovely cable. Neat.

If this keeps up I can see myself in five years not bothering with any of it, making movie rentals through redbox or the PlayStation store, and using free YouTube for everyday junkfood watching. Netflix\Hulu\Amazon originals are neat and all, but there's just so much media out there that I won't kick myself if I miss stuff because I sidestepped hemorrhaging cash keeping up with Cable 2.Wh0a; The Internet Shitshow Free For All.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Even if that's true, what is the problem exactly? You choose a particular service, pay your $8-10 per month, then choose maybe 2 or 3 other channels that are particularly important to you and they may cost an additional $5-8 per month. So you're spending somewhere between $25 and $50 a month, so still plenty less than you'd pay for cable. And its not like the data fee is a choice, you(at least most people do) need internet access regardless of what you decide to do about your other entertainment expenses.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Even if that's true, what is the problem exactly? You choose a particular service, pay your $8-10 per month, then choose maybe 2 or 3 other channels that are particularly important to you and they may cost an additional $5-8 per month. So you're spending somewhere between $25 and $50 a month, so still plenty less than you'd pay for cable. And its not like the data fee is a choice, you(at least most people do) need internet access regardless of what you decide to do about your other entertainment expenses.

The value of the Netflix and Hulus of the world for me (right now, but it diminishes by the day) is that they aggregate a tremendous amount of random poo poo in one place for one low price. I can pay $25 or so dollars for both and have access to a wide amount of stuff I might not otherwise think to look at. Most of it is junk, like with cable, it's cheap and it's convenient to access AND on top of the junk there's legitimately good stuff. If everyone takes their toys and goes home I am now paying a fee comparable to renting cable- something which does not effect data speeds or caps to run it- to replicate that experience (and it's all valuable, even the junk, to the overall experience). There is so much- too much- media out there now that my excitement over something new and unique to one platform is outweighed by the fatigue of it all and the sense that I am being needled to death by little costs to get to it. It's this sort of rapacious, splintering capitalism that gets me to stop and realize "Oh, I don't actually watch most of this; I just like the idea that I can" and then I want to opt out entirely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

The value of the Netflix and Hulus of the world for me (right now, but it diminishes by the day) is that they aggregate a tremendous amount of random poo poo in one place for one low price. I can pay $25 or so dollars for both and have access to a wide amount of stuff I might not otherwise think to look at. Most of it is junk, like with cable, it's cheap and it's convenient to access AND on top of the junk there's legitimately good stuff. If everyone takes their toys and goes home I am now paying a fee comparable to renting cable- something which does not effect data speeds or caps to run it- to replicate that experience (and it's all valuable, even the junk, to the overall experience). There is so much- too much- media out there now that my excitement over something new and unique to one platform is outweighed by the fatigue of it all and the sense that I am being needled to death by little costs to get to it. It's this sort of rapacious, splintering capitalism that gets me to stop and realize "Oh, I don't actually watch most of this; I just like the idea that I can" and then I want to opt out entirely.

I guess I just value streaming services in a different way. I don't care about the quantity of content nearly as much as the specific content that's available and how closely it fits my interests. It seems like you're saying that you'd need to buy like 5 or 6 of these channels to reproduce the feeling you get from having almost unlimited available choices, that's just not the case for me. Amazon Prime, one or two specific add-on channels(that can be canceled and resubscribed incredibly easily), and then maybe Netflix on top of that is enough for me that I never feel like I'm sacrificing anything by not paying for cable.

The streaming services effecting data speeds isn't something I have to deal with, I live by myself and have plenty of data speed to handle something like that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I guess I just value streaming services in a different way. I don't care about the quantity of content nearly as much as the specific content that's available and how closely it fits my interests. It seems like you're saying that you'd need to buy like 5 or 6 of these channels to reproduce the feeling you get from having almost unlimited available choices, that's just not the case for me. Amazon Prime, one or two specific add-on channels(that can be canceled and resubscribed incredibly easily), and then maybe Netflix on top of that is enough for me that I never feel like I'm sacrificing anything by not paying for cable.

The streaming services effecting data speeds isn't something I have to deal with, I live by myself and have plenty of data speed to handle something like that.

Yeah, it's just different strokes for different folks. I like the chaos of it and the access to things I wouldn't normally think to watch. Having to either pay a bunch to recreate that over a variety of platforms, or creating a slim portfolio of more targeted, segregated programming doesn't appeal to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All they will do is increase piracy and lose the few bucks they were getting off advertising from being on streaming services before because lord knows they aren't going to offer some monthly package that could compete with how cheap these other services are. All of their channels are 99% poo poo I would never go out of my way or pay to watch.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nvm

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 17, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would have thought these companies would have learned their lesson about that by now

The companies aren't, but plenty of their customers are learning the lesson that it's cheaper and easier to just pay $50 a year for a VPN :filez:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Movies to check out: Aquarius (2016)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Really appreciated the dresser scene in that, early on in the movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is better call saul season 2 going up any time soon? Seems like forever since the first season went up on netflix.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

Is better call saul season 2 going up any time soon? Seems like forever since the first season went up on netflix.

March 27.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Doesn't Iron Fist drop today?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I rented Girl With All the Gifts and I highly recommend it. Very highly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I rented Girl With All the Gifts and I highly recommend it. Very highly.

Saw this last year at an advance screening and yeah, it was great.

There have been a lot of movies lately that go in somewhat unexpected narrative directions, and I like that they force me to think a little bit about why the story went where it did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Timby posted:

March 27.

Hell yeah.

Started legion and it seems really good.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 18, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

coyo7e posted:

Doesn't Iron Fist drop today?

Yep, and my impression from the first 4 episodes is that the show is boring, with boring characters, a boring setting, and subpar fight choreography. The acting's pretty stiff overall, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

Yep, and my impression from the first 4 episodes is that the show is boring, with boring characters, a boring setting, and subpar fight choreography. The acting's pretty stiff overall, too.

Came here to post about exactly this. And who thought doing a gaslighting story in episode two was a good idea? What a momentum killer.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
And I just thought his tai chi was embarrassingly bad. But the actor playing Ward is really pretty great after a few episodes.

The actress playing Colleen Wing is gorgeous though - those shoulders :aaa:

I left it on autoplay most of the afternoon and I think it's up to ep6 or something, Ward is falling apart, Danny's in a kungfu tourney, Claire showed up out of nowhere, and it's picking up steam. I think the biggest problem with the show is the IP itself, Iron Fist was uhh, not one of the better comics, and the fake asian mythology stuff is a bit gross in tyool 2017

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 18, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon extended their deal with A24. Moonlight is coming to Prime May 21 also

quote:

Highly anticipated A24 films coming to Prime Video later this year include Academy Award nominated 20th Century Women, American Honey, Free Fire, The Lovers, It Comes at Night and A Ghost Story.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170317005019/en/Amazon-Extends-Deal-A24-Brings-Moonlight-Winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Did Netflix just *very* recently add this "skip intro" button? That's pretty boss.