Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

Who do you think painted up the Bradfordranger?
Bradfordranger is literally what Hieronymus Bosch would've painted if he lived today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Narsham posted:

And just to add insult to injury, "Successful Shot Percentage: 100%"

I couldn't tell whether that stat doesn't take overwatch into account, or if the game broke and was laughing at them.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I couldn't tell whether that stat doesn't take overwatch into account, or if the game broke and was laughing at them.

If memory serves me correctly, overwatch gets an accuracy penalty.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shot percentage at the end only takes into account player initiated attacks. Overwatch and retaliatory shots don't count towards the percentage.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I told youse guys I was going to shank someone if you changed the bradford paint and then you did and now someone in Canada is going to get shanked! Perhaps a resident of Newfoundland somewhere on the Hudson Bay!! I can't be blamed for this!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Scaramouche posted:

I told youse guys I was going to shank someone if you changed the bradford paint and then you did and now someone in Canada is going to get shanked! Perhaps a resident of Newfoundland somewhere on the Hudson Bay!! I can't be blamed for this!

I'd say odds are good you're going to shank yourself.

So Julian's doing another xcom it seems. Looks interesting and the premise is neat. Reminds me of UFO:Aftermath with all its gross monsters and creepy fog replacing disgusting biomass.

And this thing is a loving treasure, of PTSD flashbacks to Terror from the Deep. :gonk:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 17, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

From what I recall of early hype, Gollop's new game is supposed to have more reactive and procedural enemy type generation, because you're fighting weird biomutants that evolve to overcome you.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Green Intern posted:

From what I recall of early hype, Gollop's new game is supposed to have more reactive and procedural enemy type generation, because you're fighting weird biomutants that evolve to overcome you.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it says in the link. You start out with technological superiority, but aliens have sheer numbers and evolve to try and counter you. Certainly an interesting spin on XCOM's usual power curve.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

That's a whole lot of giant enemy crabs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So this is, literally almost exactly, a game idea I had years ago, right down to the details, and to see it being made by my favorite all time game developer is pretty cool.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Rectus posted:

That's a whole lot of giant enemy crabs.

Don't trigger me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It's fine. They aren't robotic. It's fine we're good here

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Jade Star posted:

Don't trigger me.

Turn 1
[Panic fires every grenade into the fog of war]

Turn 2
[Overwatch]

Turn 3
[Guava leaves in disgust]

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Skippy Granola posted:

Turn 1
[Panic fires every grenade into the fog of war]

Turn 2
[Overwatch]

Turn 3
[Guava leaves in disgust]

Turn 4
[Skippy joins the call]

Turn 5
[Jade gets a text message about streaming rather than recording]

Turn 6
[Banjo]

Turn 7
[Video drivers crash]

This is all concept for my magnum opus, the Saga of the JAIDS.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Turn 4
[Skippy joins the call]

Turn 5
[Jade gets a text message about streaming rather than recording]

Turn 6
[Banjo]

Turn 7
[Video drivers crash]

This is all concept for my magnum opus, the Saga of the JAIDS.

Turn 8
[Someone says Jade is saving all his heavy weapons for giant robotic crabs]

Turn 9
["The ban word was 'crab'"]

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.
In case anyone else wanted to play along with the LP, Steam just put the game 60% off for the weekend.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Turn 8

Turn 9
["The ban word was 'crab'"]

Turn 10
[~*~Repeaters~*~]

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Turn 8

Turn 9
["The ban word was 'Olesh']

fixed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somewhere in there needs to be 3 instances of the game breaking or the Avatar Project meter going nuts

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somewhere in there needs to be 3 instances of the game breaking or the Avatar Project meter going nuts

I think you mean the Crabatar Project.

ousire fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 19, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Avatar Project results in a literal giant robot crab.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I mean, if i wasn't already going to buy Gollop's newest game, this would sell me on it by itself.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Avatar Project was our last, best hope for peace.

It failed :supaburn:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

No the Robot crabs are your friends, you mind control evil crabs and then you crab battle.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I thought that the avatar project was to make a clone of lord British so he can make more Ultima games.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Garriot is putting out a spiritual sequel to Ultima this very year, you whiner.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

ikanreed posted:

Garriot is putting out a spiritual sequel to Ultima this very year, you whiner.

Not if we can stop the blacksites

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm going to land my aircraft in the forest and nod at strangers so hard to prevent this.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Remember the countersign to identify friends of the resistance:

Name?, Job?, Bye!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Soda Dungeon has become the new Stardew Valley for Jade.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lunethex posted:

Soda Dungeon has become the new Stardew Valley for Jade.

Jadestar: Played 53.7 hours.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Balls World War

Okay this one got uploaded twice because the first time something went wrong and the last 8 minutes or so of the video was cut off. Sorry about that, I am almost positive it wasn't my fault.

Today though we see the Gatekeeper, a surprise new addition to the alien forces. I'm not sure where the idea or design for this thing came from but it does seem to share a little bit of the visual design in common with the previous game's version of cyberdisks. That is to say the gatekeeper has the sleek rounded metallic look of alien techno wizardry and shares in common the two state mechanics of the cyberdisks. Not shown in this video because gently caress ever letting gatekeepers do something, but gate keepers can open up their shell to show the horrors beneath, a pinkish purple spherical blob with some tendrils to wave around to cast terrible and deadly psionic effects with. Much like the cyberdisks they are more vulnerable in this state than they are in golfball mode. Guava and I touched upon this in the video as well but gatekeepers count as both biological and mechanical targets, which opens up some possibilities for dealing with them. This allows bluescreen rounds to deal extra damage to them, as well as venom rounds to poison them. They can be mind controlled (with a very strong psi soldier), but I don't think they can actually be hacked via Haywire, I've never thought to actually try that one. In general though gatekeepers are enormous dicks. They have a ton of health that is shielded by 6 points of armor and while they are in golfball mode they have the equivalent of high cover where ever they float. They are tough to kill and gently caress each and every one of them. On the offensive side of things they have some seriously harmful abilities too. They have an area of effect attack that does two things, one, it hurts a lot, and two, any corpses caught in the blast range are reanimated as psi-zombies. When that is on cool down they will simply psi lance people for varying damage somewhere in the 7-12 range. As a Psi attack it of course ignores cover and the only defense you have against it is willpower.

Gatekeepers suck. Kill them all the time, every time, as soon as you can, which sometimes isn't soon enough because they're so hard to destroy. Argh.

Marksman Colonel Rank
Serial vs Fanfire

This will be another of the skill choices that is really decided for you based on earlier choices. Serial works somewhat like In The Zone from the last game. Serial refunds the action cost of sniping an enemy if you kill it. This most be done with the sniper rifle. This allows for as many sniper shots in one round as you have ammo and killable targets for. This can clean up a battlefield in a hurry when used right. It is a great skill.
On the other side of things if you're a terrible person like Guava Moment is, Fanfire lets you fire a pistol at the same target three times. This can be a fair amount of damage, and can benefit greatly from advanced ammo like flame rounds or bluescreen rounds. Each shot rolls a separate chance to hit, so it's not an all or nothing attack. This can let you put a serious hit on a big target. Guava typically likes to say fanfire plus bluescreen rounds and point it at a sectopod. It has it's uses and can benefit from other synergies like ammo and other gunslinger skills.

Winner: Serial, because why are you making your Marksmen select a skill that is a pistol version of Rapid Fire? Arghhhghh :supaburn:

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 23, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Jade Star posted:

On the offensive side of things they have some seriously harmful abilities too. They have an area of effect attack that does two things, one, it hurts a lot, and two, any corpses caught in the blast range are reanimated as psi-zombies. When that is on cool down they will simply psi lance people for varying damage somewhere in the 7-12 range. As a Psi attack it of course ignores cover and the only defense you have against it is willpower.

I used a dominated Gatekeeper as part of my forces during the final mission and it ended up reanimating a dead Avatar to be under my control (but with only regular psi zombie abilities) when I used its AOE. I had no idea that was possible.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I wonder how long it will be before we see the Gatekeeper do anything?

Knowing Jade's luck, hopefully soon. And then Ciaphas will kill it with a repeater.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've killed 7 targets in one round with Serial before, and I'm not even good at this game. Serial is incredible. Fan Fire is a dumb skill for dummies that does mediocre damage, less than a grenadier's chain shot. At absolutely optimal conditions (bluescreen rounds vs. a sectopod with all armor shredded off) it's going to do a lot, sure, but most of the time all the bluescreen damage is going to be wasted on overkill since that robot is already going to be damaged by your grenadier shredding its armor off. Fan Fire has an absolutely stratospheric opportunity cost of being unable to instantly murder everyone under 10 health anywhere in squadsight.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RE the stock, was it the dominated guy? He never actually died but the mission ended with him under your control. I don't know how the game treats dominated units.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Huh, interesting. I didn't know the Gatekeeper is actually a normal enemy. I thought it was a one-time special enemy for a later level we've yet to see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Garrand posted:

RE the stock, was it the dominated guy? He never actually died but the mission ended with him under your control. I don't know how the game treats dominated units.
I'd say "a live subject for interrogation" if I wasn't reasonably sure that Dominate outright destroys the target's mind the moment it succeeds (thus the permanent control).

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It'd be great if you could bring them back with you. Add some advent units to your squad.

Now I want to go play FFT again and build a monster party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

I've killed 7 targets in one round with Serial before, and I'm not even good at this game. Serial is incredible. Fan Fire is a dumb skill for dummies that does mediocre damage, less than a grenadier's chain shot. At absolutely optimal conditions (bluescreen rounds vs. a sectopod with all armor shredded off) it's going to do a lot, sure, but most of the time all the bluescreen damage is going to be wasted on overkill since that robot is already going to be damaged by your grenadier shredding its armor off. Fan Fire has an absolutely stratospheric opportunity cost of being unable to instantly murder everyone under 10 health anywhere in squadsight.

Obviously that is the case as you left 7 guys with under 10hp alive until almost the end of a turn. Also damage worries? With a single weapon mod like dragonfire rounds or whatever fanfare does 12-21 damage, more then enough to put almost anything down. If that is not enough then using the rest of the gunslinger tree you can add another two shots to the mix. Also a gunslinger can use face off to help deal with massed enemies with no ammo cost and can be used more often the serial.

• Locked thread