Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

you'll need a budget of literal billions

Just use pixel art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

plz dont pull out posted:

Semi related to chemical plant zone talk but Sonic Mania devs posted a bit of their flying battery some level and I forgot how rad that song is.

Flying Battery rules. I put a lovely mashup with Flying Battery on Youtube like 5 years ago, but I don't know if I should link it because people probably don't care.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Open world game with Witcher 3's side quest story depth, Horizon's fast-paced and frantic combat, and Breath of the Wild's player-driven exploration, freedom of movement, and physics-based environment interactions = the perfect game???

I can only handle so much open world so I don't think this would be my perfect game (I felt like I was pretty much done with those kinds of games until zelda came along)

I saw that Doom is on sale on PS4 and was thinking it might be a nice change of pace to just shoot something after 70 hours of BotW exploration

e: also I haven't played Horizon but I'm surprised you'd pick that over platinum combat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Who would you want to write it?

Tim Schafer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Flying Battery Zowns

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZHidpaz0I

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Open world game with Witcher 3's side quest story depth, Horizon's fast-paced and frantic combat, and Breath of the Wild's player-driven exploration, freedom of movement, and physics-based environment interactions = the perfect game???

Nah sod that just give me BOTW with dungeons and we're good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Just use pixel art

Out of the literal dozens of things on my plate right now, is my first video game related work - I've been asked to do the writing for a "pixel art open world turn-based RPG set in the real world with absolutely no magical or urban fantasy". It's gotten me excited to the point where I'm impatient and trying to learn how to help with the actual game making myself. I've always wanted to play a game like that that doesn't at any point involve (or devolve into) mystical poo poo.

So for example a typical gameplay loop for a session will be something like "Go see a local punk band, get involved in a drunken fight with rowdy skinheads, pick up a new party member that fights by throwing guitar picks"

idk I'm probably making it sound lame, but it won't be, I promise

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

I've only done the water dungeon so far in BotW but it was good imo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jay Rust posted:

Who would you want to write it?
Chris Metzen

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They should leave it like this.

https://twitter.com/VICESports/status/842790151868858368?s=09

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay its not Chemical Plant Zone but House's cover of Sonic 3 Hydrocity theme is so loving good I just have to post it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDYXjwNpqI

I met him once, loving cool dude. We played splatterhouse on a friend's genesis till the early hours.

Yeah, this is officially :krad: Dude sounds loving cool.

Mak0rz posted:

My backlog project is being put on hold now because of Turok 2. I hardly even got through the first game (Age of Empires III) because I was pretty busy. Oh well!

I'll start it up again once I'm finished with Turok.

I've started by own backlog project. The secret behind games like Turok 2 on your backlog is to sell them so they're no longer on your backlog and you can use the money on a game that's actually fun. :ssh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

I've only done the water dungeon so far in BotW but it was good imo

They're good puzzles like the shrines, great puzzles, but they're just not quite dungeons.

The only thing in BOTW that feels close to a proper dungeon is the labyrinths or the final Hyrule Castle, which is EPIC, but because there's no real key items and you get all the runes in the first hour of the game, it doesn't really feel like a zelda dungeon.

I love BOTW for what it is, great game. But now if they could make a sequel majora's mask style using the same engine and assets but focus on traditional dungeons, I'd be in heaven.

Palpek posted:

Chris Metzen

And produced by Chris Roberts

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Actually, screw it. Instead I'm going to post my other Youtube video, the one I'm actually kind of proud of, still relates to video games, and at this point seems like a fitting tribute to my cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98uO3v_BOao

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Franchescanado posted:

The secret behind games like Turok 2 on your backlog is to sell them so they're no longer on your backlog and you can use the money on a game that's actually fun. :ssh:

Turok is good so nah.

It wasn't technically in my backlog. I'm playing it now because I just bought it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

e: also I haven't played Horizon but I'm surprised you'd pick that over platinum combat

I really like Horizon's combination of versatile enemies with a versatile player, I think. A lot of open world games give the player a big list of tools to use, but few of them make you actually want to use those tools like Horizon does. You've got a bunch of ways to interact with the enemies, who are surprisingly complex and make you want to use a variety of strategies. It's a ton of fun. (This does not apply to human enemies, who are bog standard and pretty boring. Breath of the Wild does humanoid enemies leagues better because they're more unpredictable and versatile.)

I like Platinum combat but I think for the game I'm envisioning, I don't need technical, combo-based combat. I want the frantic, improvisatory feel you get in Horizon.

Zaphod42 posted:

:yeah:

Set it in a revised version of the Great Sea with better and more complex islands to explore and ship-to-ship combat with moblin pirates and I'm sold. Oh, and bring back the grappling hook but let it grapple on to anything just like you can climb anything in Breath of the Wild. Obviously you'll need a grappling hook to board enemy ships in style, after all.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 17, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Actually, screw it. Instead I'm going to post my other Youtube video, the one I'm actually kind of proud of, still relates to video games, and at this point seems like a fitting tribute to my cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98uO3v_BOao

too bad, I found the other one through your channel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Horizon plays like vanquish kinda

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Horizon plays like vanquish kinda

Especially once you get the "time slows when you aim while falling or doing a kickass power slide" skill which honestly should just be baseline because it owns

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
For months after I played MGR: Revengeance I was going "man this would be so much better with some-amped-up corny metal" to every game I played after it

They've unintentionally created something about a million times more interesting than their stupid annual baseball game, yeah

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i might actually see the horrifying matchstick man and his pal cousin poo poo in my nightmares, jesus

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dude's dad forced him to smoke the entire pack to teach him a lesson

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Now batting: Number 38, The Old One, Center Field

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

Yog Sothoth has been amazing this season.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You too, huh?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:same:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
ya i was online all day making a blog on infowars about how woman should stay out of video games unless it overwatch since it infected by the SJW cucks. also if a woman want to play a MMO they must always be a healer and give nudes to the guild since woman are MY TOYS!

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 17, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New Concept Hole posted:

Eh, it's been done.

http://dai.ly/x3mv1gj

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cyron posted:

ya i was online all day making a blog on infowars about how woman should stay out of video games unless it overwatch since it infected by the SJW cucks.

Well gently caress you too, pal

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well gently caress you too, pal

it a joke, i thought it was better in my head.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cyron posted:

it a joke, i thought it was better in my head.

It's a really, really tired and unfunny joke.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAVApcrgFzs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cyron posted:

ya i was online all day making a blog on infowars about how woman should stay out of video games unless it overwatch since it infected by the SJW cucks. also if a woman want to play a MMO they must always be a healer and give nudes to the guild since woman are MY TOYS!

No blog link?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yog Sothoth has been amazing this season.

There's no rule that says the Elder God can't play baseball!

If the opposing team goes mad does it count as an error?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love Brigador, but boy howdy I need to stop picking the pilots that boost the difficulty the longer you run them because my skill tends to cap at around difficulty 7 and I also get into this loop of "...I'll go one more map, get more money" and my own greed kills me. :negative:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cyron posted:

Don't do this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/thebluebear27/status/842794364317270017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A great essay about a great game.

This reminds me that it's time for a re-read of THE MACHINE IS BLEEDING TO DEATH, the story of a guy who played a game of Madden so unbalanced that it accidentally broke the game apart in front of his eyes.

http://i.imgur.com/lXiVTq1.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/LjEZSrH.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/byceY1M.gifv

• Locked thread