Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, I meant the mini-expansions, though I also ordered and got the art/RPG-book for funsies.

Are the other minis worth getting? I got 3 for the new characters and 4 for fun. I also ordered the artbook for the RPG. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Are the other minis worth getting? I got 3 for the new characters and 4 for fun. I also ordered the artbook for the RPG. :v:

I'll be honest, I haven't gotten to them yet. We only recently got a table that can carry everything on it so we're still picking from the base game packs.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'll be honest, I haven't gotten to them yet. We only recently got a table that can carry everything on it so we're still picking from the base game packs.

Me neither, I only just got the game a few weeks ago. Were you a kickstarter backer?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Me neither, I only just got the game a few weeks ago. Were you a kickstarter backer?

Yep.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Restoration Games, which is taking games from yesteryear (80s and prior) and updating them both in terms of art and mechanics, has a new one on Kickstarter called Stop Thief!

Looks pretty cool? Competitive deduction game where everyone is a private investigator trying to catch a thief (who doesn't appear on the board). Each turn they move, creating a sound that tells you what surface they were on. These sounds come out of an app. Players move using a hand of movement cards which slightly differentiate the different characters.

Only one real pledge tier (not counting the one for retailers and one for a signed copy of the game) which is $29 + shipping. And they've got a rule book up - looks very simple and fast.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Holy dongs. The commercials for that one with all of the phantom footsteps freaked me out as a tyke.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The guy who's making that new edition of his Monkey System is now also kickstarting an adventure for the system. Details are a little scarcer than I might like, but overall it looks like a fun, freewheeling adventure that takes full advantage of the setting's goofy potential.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
My friend Ben Dutter (who's made a bunch of RPGs, including Belly of the Beast and Perseverant) is now making quick, low-luck card game about medieval dueling, Clash of Steel. It handles simultaneous card reveal and initiative in a clever way, modeling how dueling opponents give tells to each other, which reveals limited information about how you and your opponent will approach the fight, so you're not fighting in the dark.

(Full disclosure: I'll be editing the rulebook.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shrooms, man :shroom:

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

I don't even play anything that requires minis, but I need those.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Further update on Gloomhaven reprint KS:

quote:

I know I just messaged you last week, but there's been a significant change of plans that I felt you should know about.

You see, as I explained in my previous letter, I was planning on running a massive Kickstarter that would combine the funding of the Gloomhaven reprint and the new printing of Founders of Gloomhaven. There was significant pressure mounting over the last week to get more of the art and graphic design and prototyping done for Founders of Gloomhaven, and it began to dawn on me that we just weren't going to get everything done in the amount of time I planned.

I found myself having to make a choice between delaying the joint Kickstarter until Founders was more ready to be released, or splitting the two projects up into separate campaigns. Because it is so important to get the reprint of Gloomhaven started as quickly as possible and get it into the hands of everyone who wants it, I have decided avoid delaying that process by splitting the projects.

We will be moving forward with a focused Gloomhaven reprint campaign and delaying the Founders campaign until at least May.

This may sound like bad news to you, but worry not, because there is plenty of good news as well! Because we are now solely focusing on the Gloomhaven reprinting, I've decided to work out a way to offer rule book/scenario book upgrade packs for those with the first printing who want the latest rules and scenario changes. I haven't nailed down pricing for this yet, but it will probably be something in the $10-15 range.

But that's not all! Because we are no longer waiting on stuff for Founders of Gloomhaven, I think we can actually launch the project ahead of schedule (which will also help with getting it out sooner in the end). The new (tentative) plan is to launch a week early, on March 30. This is a little iffy, since Josh, the graphic designer, is currently on vacation until next week, and then I'm going on vacation for a few days soon after he gets back, but I think we can make it work.

I will admit, though, that the main thing hanging me up about splitting the projects was the fact that I didn't know what to do about "stretch goals" for a Gloomhaven reprint. The game is complete. It is everything I want it to be, and I have no intention of adding anything else to the already massive box (other than those sweet HP/EXP dials). Gloomhaven (and Cephalofair Games in general) is all about breaking the mold, though, and so I decided to do something different. I decided we didn't need stretch goals.

It sounds a little crazy, I know, but hear me out. The main purpose of stretch goals is to keep people engaged in the campaign, and have them coming back day after day, excited about all the cool new stuff they're getting for their pledge. If keeping people excited and engaged in the campaign is the end goal, though, there are certainly other ways to accomplish that, so I've decided to create a real-time community-driven mini-campaign during the Kickstarter. That's a lot of hyphenated words, so let me break it down for you:
  1. Day 1 of the campaign I will post a PDF of a single scenario that anyone can open and play, either using their own Gloomhaven box, or through a dedicated Tabletop Simulator if you are one of the many people who don't have a copy yet.

2. This scenario will contain plenty of interesting story text, and at the end, it will present a choice on what to do next. Players will then go to Board Game Geek and vote in an official poll on where they want the story to go.

3. The next day, I will create and post a new scenario (in the form of a PDF and a new Steam Workshop file for TTS) based on what the community voted for.

4. This will continue every day for the entire length of the four-week campaign. 28 new scenarios that will actually evolve in real-time based on the community's votes.
At this point, I have no content created for it. It will all be generated the day of to make it purely community-driven. Right now I have an idea for the first scenario and the choices that will be presented, but after that, the community will be at the wheel.

I don't know about you, but I am incredibly excited to see how this turns out. I can't promise you all 28 scenarios will be great, but I will tell you I full intend to embrace the chaotic, seat-of-your-pants nature of this experiment and do plenty of crazy stuff with it. What exactly that will be? Well, we will find out together.

So, anyway, that's the new plan. I thought you should know. I hope you are as excited about it as I am, and I will see you March 28!

TL;DR - Gloomhaven reprint KS is now separated from the Founders of Gloomhaven campaign, which means it can start sooner, on March 30, tentatively. Also, read that stuff about the free scenarios that aren't even stretch goals, they're just free content he plans on making. For those who already own the game you can buy a book that will contain errata and rules/scenario changes. Hopefully the HP/EXP dials can be purchased separately, too.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 16, 2017

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Edit: wrong thread, love posting at work l.

Ziji fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 16, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Awesome, I'd been looking for more mushroom men.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

TL;DR - Gloomhaven reprint KS is now separated from the Founders of Gloomhaven campaign, which means it can start sooner, on March 30, tentatively. Also, read that stuff about the free scenarios that aren't even stretch goals, they're just free content he plans on making. For those who already own the game you can buy a book that will contain errata and rules/scenario changes. Hopefully the HP/EXP dials can be purchased separately, too.

Speaking as someone who thinks stretch goals can sometimes feel manipulative and lovely, this guy is a loving hero. I think it's awesome that he's doing everything he can to ensure early backers don't feel like they missed out on anything too. Throwing out a bunch of free scenarios on top of that when he easily could have gamified their release into a recruitment drive is just ridiculous.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/razlo/billionaire-banshees-first-expansion

Billionaire Banshee put up a KS for its first expansion. It's a really good party game. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it as a CAH replacement, and everyone's loved it.

You can get the main game for $25 on Amazon.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

A stupid part of me wants to back this even though I already own a copy, just because I love it so much :shepspends:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Was Gloomhaven the one where the guy ran a poll to see if people wanted backer-exclusive content and the response was a heavy "NO!"?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

A stupid part of me wants to back this even though I already own a copy, just because I love it so much :shepspends:

Same, but I'll just pick up the updated book and probably back Founders, despite knowing next to nothing about it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Academy Games' 878 Vikings: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/878-vikings-invasions-of-england

There is an early bird pledge level that expires on Monday 3/20, but it only saves $5. I've never played any of their other historical games (all I have are Fief and Mare Nostrum, which are based on older designs), so I'd love to hear someone weighing in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I regretfully missed out on Gloomhaven the first time around, despite almost-backing it several times (all the way to the confirmation page).

I will not make the same mistake again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In more TG Kickstarter news, Brass by Roxley Games (Steampunk Rally, Santorini)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is Gloomhaven that good? I'm almost convinced to back it just from the buzz here.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I put a pledge on Gloomhaven for a long while, but eventually cancelled because I knew there's no way I'll be fine with putting stickers on things and writing notes on stuff and such. I don't think I'm the type to own a legacy game (though maybe hypocritically I'd be fine with joining someone else's legacy campaign? I don't know).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Is Gloomhaven that good? I'm almost convinced to back it just from the buzz here.

There's a lot of game to it and what I've played of said game is pretty good. I'm hoping that the scenarios get more creative than the monster closet type designs that I've seen thus far, but here's hoping!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

GrandpaPants posted:

There's a lot of game to it and what I've played of said game is pretty good. I'm hoping that the scenarios get more creative than the monster closet type designs that I've seen thus far, but here's hoping!

I don't know how much you've seen (and therefore what you'd call a monster closet), but I know we've unlocked at least one scenario that has some interesting stuff going on with it.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I put a pledge on Gloomhaven for a long while, but eventually cancelled because I knew there's no way I'll be fine with putting stickers on things and writing notes on stuff and such. I don't think I'm the type to own a legacy game (though maybe hypocritically I'd be fine with joining someone else's legacy campaign? I don't know).

I think you'd probably still be fine with Gloomhaven, honestly--90% of the Legacy stuff that's in the vein you don't like is adding locations to the world map, which just serves to look cool and show what you've got unlocked. There's not any huge things that change how the game plays mechanically at a fundamental level. Probably the one thing I can see being kind of an issue is that later on you get the ability to modify actual ability cards, but I think that shouldn't be too hard to find a way around.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 17, 2017

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

In more TG Kickstarter news, Brass by Roxley Games (Steampunk Rally, Santorini)

Just a reprint? Or an expansion.

Tell me more i was looking for an economic game and i didn't realise there was one based in Lancashire!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't know how much you've seen (and therefore what you'd call a monster closet), but I know we've unlocked at least one scenario that has some interesting stuff going on with it.

I think you'd probably still be fine with Gloomhaven, honestly--90% of the Legacy stuff that's in the vein you don't like is adding locations to the world map, which just serves to look cool and show what you've got unlocked. There's not any huge things that change how the game plays mechanically at a fundamental level. Probably the one thing I can see being kind of an issue is that later on you get the ability to modify actual ability cards, but I think that shouldn't be too hard to find a way around.

I actually enjoy the idea of the game mechanics changing from game to game. I've had fun playing Fabled Fruit, for instance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mojo Jojo posted:

Tell me more i was looking for an economic game and i didn't realise there was one based in Lancashire!

Reprint, but they're also doing Brass: Birmingham.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a reminder that Freeport Companion for Shadow of the Demon Lord is ending in 24 hours. Sadly, it looks like it's not going to hit the "Demon Lord's Companion 2" stretch goal, but SotDL is a really good horror-fantasy game that's worth checking out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Like Jedit said, it's basically kinda both, except the other is an expandalone. Here is the BGG announcement thread with scant additional details: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1499425/roxley-games-publish-brass-2017

Edit: I think there was some rights drama between Wallace and Eagle Gryphon Games, so this would be a more "official" version or something?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 17, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am really tempted to back the SotDL Freeport stuff because that is such a great game, but can't decide if spending 20 more dollars to get the stretch goals is worth it.

They will at least get $10 from me for the main book at least.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

GrandpaPants posted:

From its description it kind of seems like what I wanted the Pathfinder ACG to be: a boardgame version of an RPG where you keep your character and build them over time and have fun adventures with your gaming buddies but don't need a GM to plan poo poo out.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's really more of a campaign style than legacy style. The changes you make are mostly (potentially all? I haven't played through it yet) additive, like putting achievement and location stickers on the map or enhancing ability cards with new ability stickers rather than tearing up cards.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So you put stickers on things and write notes on stuff, you could say?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So you put stickers on things and write notes on stuff, you could say?

Only note writing is on sheets which you have multiple copies of, but sure. If you can't stand a blank map that you put stickers on instead of having all the locations show up at the beginning of the game, then I'm sorry you're going to miss out on Gloomhaven.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SilverMike posted:

Only note writing is on sheets which you have multiple copies of, but sure. If you can't stand a blank map that you put stickers on instead of having all the locations show up at the beginning of the game, then I'm sorry you're going to miss out on Gloomhaven.

Umm, okay? It's not like I was trying to find a way not to miss out on it.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Since the legacy stuff is light, you could try something like this fillable tracker.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's also a company that's supposed to be making sheets of removable stickers for Gloomhaven.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The way to avoid the (very minor) legacy stuff in Gloomhaven is simply printing out an additional map and adding locations to it or using a digital map file that someone made up on BGG. You can also print out/laminate character sheets to list all your stats/items. In addition, you could even just sleeve your cards when you want to improve them and mark the upgrades on the sleeves.

It's all very minor compared to something like Risk Legacy or Pandemic Legacy where the board itself is used in the game the entire time. The map in Gloomhaven is something you look at once when you start/end a scenario, then you fold it and put it back in the box. You're not marking up the hex tiles or anything.

I made the decision to put the stickers directly on the map because it looks better that way (than without it) and it's such a long game (possibly hundreds of hours) that you're meant to be exploring the world over multiple characters/parties. You can just start a new party whenever you want and go to whatever scenario looks fun.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

The way to avoid the (very minor) legacy stuff in Gloomhaven is simply printing out an additional map and adding locations to it or using a digital map file that someone made up on BGG. You can also print out/laminate character sheets to list all your stats/items. In addition, you could even just sleeve your cards when you want to improve them and mark the upgrades on the sleeves.

It's all very minor compared to something like Risk Legacy or Pandemic Legacy where the board itself is used in the game the entire time. The map in Gloomhaven is something you look at once when you start/end a scenario, then you fold it and put it back in the box. You're not marking up the hex tiles or anything.

I made the decision to put the stickers directly on the map because it looks better that way (than without it) and it's such a long game (possibly hundreds of hours) that you're meant to be exploring the world over multiple characters/parties. You can just start a new party whenever you want and go to whatever scenario looks fun.

The big board itself is almost a waste of space and cardboard outside of being a tracker of unlocked and completed scenarios and achievements.