Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A government is only too big when it includes and provides for people that aren't me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Iron Crowned posted:

:eng101: those are actually Polish gas masks, they're not conneceted to their hoses though

I have a gas mask that looks exactly like that. Was supposed to be some Russian industrial surplus and it came with a metal filter.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

When Glenn Beck was discussing the cuts on his show, he said the cuts to public broadcasting were good, because Sesame Street makes a ton of money off merchandise sales. They'll never run out of money and so taxpayers shouldn't be funding it. He also said that because of pledge drives and the fact that NPR had all the number one podcasts, that NPR has a ton of money and we don't need to fund it either.

Literally the only reason Sesame Street is so appropriate for children is that it doesn't feel compelled to pander to toy companies, like corporate children's media does. :psyduck: These people won't be satisfied until there's a gritty Sesame Street reboot in theaters directed by Michael Bay, will they?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Today's episode is brought to you by the letter M, for Merchandise. Please by our merchandise and tell your parents to start their free subscription at Audible.com/sesamestreet for a free audio book.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

twoday posted:

Hold on to your butts:

Looks like David Brokie's GWAR art.

I would totally go to that show.

That... that is a thick mustache.

Also I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who loathes JRROSE!
His poo poo is either right wing talking points or boring ultra local college sports stuff with that hideous bulldog in a cape and crown. I can't stand 'em.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

21 Muns posted:

Literally the only reason Sesame Street is so appropriate for children is that it doesn't feel compelled to pander to toy companies, like corporate children's media does

There's plenty of PBS merch out there. But they don't write the shows specifically *for* merch.

I watch a lot of PBS stuff with my toddler and I have noticed something that obviously would annoy any conservatives who watch the shows: the shows are very liberal. They have a lot of messages that would make a Republican vomit, like the episode where Daniel Tiger discusses why some people have different skin colours and some people are disabled and some people are tigers and it's all OK. This is the sort of message that, ingrained in a child's brain, would make them harder to convince that hatred and prejudice is natural and good when they grow up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ularg posted:

I have a gas mask that looks exactly like that. Was supposed to be some Russian industrial surplus and it came with a metal filter.

I got mine at the flea market for $20, it looks like this:

Either way, the ones in that bad reporter aren't filtering poo poo

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Iron Crowned posted:

Mine:

Goons and gas masks must be a thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ularg posted:

Mine:

It's called poor impulse control and having $20 in your wallet?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's called poor impulse control and having $20 in your wallet?

Yes, yes and it was partly for a Halloween costume as a teen.

Also never, ever, go airsoft with this thing on. It doesn't protect poo poo and wears the hell out of you after a minute.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Iron Crowned posted:

American made gas masks, sheesh...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BarbarianElephant posted:

There's plenty of PBS merch out there. But they don't write the shows specifically *for* merch.

I watch a lot of PBS stuff with my toddler and I have noticed something that obviously would annoy any conservatives who watch the shows: the shows are very liberal. They have a lot of messages that would make a Republican vomit, like the episode where Daniel Tiger discusses why some people have different skin colours and some people are disabled and some people are tigers and it's all OK. This is the sort of message that, ingrained in a child's brain, would make them harder to convince that hatred and prejudice is natural and good when they grow up.

I mean that's true of almost every kids show though. Dora is a little communist who leads elves to collectively bargain and rise up against their evil owl master. Blaze and the Monster Machines is full of STEM buzzwords but it's always about teamwork and playing fair. The Octonaut's have some sort of military hierarchy going on but they're just scientific researchers.

I'm just saying it's not limited to PBS at all.

It's almost like republican ideals are terrible and would frighten children.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ularg posted:

Mine:

Hahahah, what a bunch of dorks!
*nervously pushes surplus zivilschutzfilter 68 mask out of camera shot*

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

They have a lot of messages that would make a Republican vomit, like the episode where Daniel Tiger discusses why some people have different skin colours and some people are disabled and some people are tigers and it's all OK. This is the sort of message that, ingrained in a child's brain, would make them harder to convince that hatred and prejudice is natural and good when they grow up.

quote:

Hello, my name is Storytime Simon, and I hope you like stories, because I love to tell stories! This one is called "The New Squirrel". Come with me on this magical adventure. There once was was a young squirrel named Ricky who lived in a big oak tree in a city park. Ricky was a brown squirrel and lived in the oak tree with all his brown squirrel friends and family. Every day, Ricky would look out from the top of his tree and wonder what kind of squirrels lived in the other trees. The older squirrels warned Ricky that the squirrels in other trees were thieves and liars. They were never to be trusted. Ricky had a rebellious heart and would not form his opinions based on anecdotal evidence. End of holotape. Please insert holotape 2.

Storytime Simon here! Welcome back! And here it is, part two of "The New Squirrel". One night, a red squirrel appeared at the bottom of Ricky's oak tree and woke Ricky and his family. "Oh please help me." said the red squirrel. "I am lost and I have nowhere to go." The elders were quick to turn the red squirrel away, but Ricky scurried down the trunk of his tree and stood firm next to the Red Squirrel. He yelled up at the elder squirrels. "How could you turn him away? Just because he is from another tree? He needs our help!" Affected by Ricky's assuredness and determination, the elders agreed to take in the red squirrel. The red squirrel thanked Ricky for standing up for him. "You won't regret this." He said. End of holotape. Please insert holotape 3.

Storytime Simon here with the exciting conclusion to "The New Squirrel". "Tomorrow we can get to know each other and become best friends!" said Ricky to the red squirrel. The red squirrel made a sound that Ricky took for agreement, and the two squirrels curled up to sleep. Later that night, Ricky woke up to the sound of leaves rustling in the oak tree. He looked around. The red squirrel was gone! Ricky surveyed the landscape below and saw a pack of glowing eyes approaching the base of his tree. Cats! Ricky heard a voice from a nearby tree. It was the red squirrel! "I'm sorry." he said. "They were following me, and I couldn't bring them to my tree. They would have eaten my family!" As the cats ascended the tree and began to devour Ricky's friends and family, Ricky reflected on his decisions. His last words were "I really wish I would have trusted my elders." The End.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

I mean that's true of almost every kids show though. Dora is a little communist who leads elves to collectively bargain and rise up against their evil owl master. Blaze and the Monster Machines is full of STEM buzzwords but it's always about teamwork and playing fair. The Octonaut's have some sort of military hierarchy going on but they're just scientific researchers.

I feel like the more violent a show is the more likely it is to appeal to Republican parents. So they probably have their kids watch GI Joe and poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ur not a sole superpower if another state installed a puppet to run your country

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ah yes: that universal symbol for "bad and evil": A loving TREE. Not just a tree, but an old, healthy tree currently being useful to another person.

Sandpuppy posted:

I feel like this is a repurposed "If global warming, why cold?" cartoon.
So you think he changed a "stupid experts don't know anything" comic into a..."stupid experts don't know anything" comic...huh...

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Ularg posted:

Mine:

Are you my mummy?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

FishBulb posted:

The most Republican thing I have for my kid is a little Golden Book called "The Little Red Hen" in which a hen asks her lazy animal friends to help her bake bread and when they don't she eats it all herself instead of sharing because they don't deserve it.

I think I could make a lot of money by making a complete kids' show with this sort of FYGM message, because all the other shows are all about sharing and poo poo and no doubt it makes Republicans mad if they ever stop to watch TV with their kids.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The most Republican thing I have for my kid is a little Golden Book called "The Little Red Hen" in which a hen asks her lazy animal friends to help her bake bread and when they don't she eats it all herself instead of sharing because they don't deserve it.

I think I could make a lot of money by making a complete kids' show with this sort of FYGM message, because all the other shows are all about sharing and poo poo and no doubt it makes Republicans mad if they ever stop to watch TV with their kids.

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie is still the most FYGM children's book

its message is literally "never help people because they will become dependent on your help and keep demanding things forever until you say no"

oddium posted:

don't ruin my funny joke

it makes me mad when people make jokes about dialects they have clearly never actually heard :colbert:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 17, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on a deflating week for Trump and the European right – US president suffers a court defeat over his travel ban after an election blow for Geert Wilders and a row over Tory election spending"

Independent:

Times:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Oh poo poo! I remember that book. The line that sticks out to me most to this day is when the little red hen asks "And who will help me EAT the bread?" and all her friends say "I will" and then she goes "nope, because none of your helped make it." That always stuck to me as "why did you ask then? That seems mean."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh poo poo! I remember that book. The line that sticks out to me most to this day is when the little red hen asks "And who will help me EAT the bread?" and all her friends say "I will" and then she goes "nope, because none of your helped make it." That always stuck to me as "why did you ask then? That seems mean."

I don't even know why she kept asking them to help. She could do it herself just fine.

I wonder if Trump would help me fund a PBS Show "Lil' libertarians" where a bunch of scrappy kids show up to problems and only help after being compensated adequately for their efforts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bramhall

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Worker refuses to be alienated from the product of her labor? :anarchists:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Gas Masks are pretty much just a goon thing. I picked mine up a few years ago.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ruzihm posted:

And that's fine, but don't ASK people if they want any if you're not going to actually share! Just go ahead and keep it to yourself! drat bird.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I highly doubt the current government would help gas mask manufactures as that would cut into future health care costs.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Ruzihm posted:

That's much closer to the idea than "sharing is bad." The lesson for kids is "sharing is good, also labor is a thing to share just as much as material goods."

Avenging_Mikon posted:

And that's fine, but don't ASK people if they want any if you're not going to actually share! Just go ahead and keep it to yourself! drat bird.

It's a story for children! You need to spell out for them the connection between refusing to help someone and them refusing to share the fruits of their labor in return!

Seriously people, we made fun of Ted Cruz for missing the point of Green Eggs and Ham but some of y'all...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Today's Bennett is really well done.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Which is this?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Really not a Republican moral.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

loquacius posted:

it makes me mad when people make jokes about dialects they have clearly never actually heard :colbert:

i live in eastern ct h*ck off

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Ruzihm posted:

"Who will help me eat this bread?", said the little red hen.

"Actually," began the fat capitalist pig, "all that bread belongs to me, so I will eat it and when I've had my fill you can have what's left."

"But I worked hard to make this bread!," exclaimed the little red hen.

"You see, my father's father was granted this land by the government after they drove off the original farmers. He started this farm and grew the first wheat. He became successful and built his own mill. He was able to hire people to farm his wheat for him. He passed on the farm to his son and when he died he passed it on to me. I have never planted the wheat, harvested it, ground it, or made it into bread, but I own all the value associated with each step. My grandfather took a risk starting this farm 100 years ago, and because I share his genes I and my sons are entitled to all the fruits of his labor for perpetuity." said the greedy capitalist pig.

"Well since you own this farm, I am happy to give a part of this bread, but I need some so that my family can eat and continue to work on the farm." said the little red hen.

"No, I get all the bread because I have more wealth than you. I know how much this bread is worth and how much you should get to survive. If you don't like how much bread I give you then go start your own farm. Be warned it will cost many loaves of bread to buy a farm, and you only get a very small portion of a loaf each day." said the greedy capitalist pig.

"gently caress you!" said the little red hen

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Iron Crowned posted:

Now you just have to wear it properly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Whole lot of gas mask chat as a result of that Bad Reporter. Are you guys all bombarded with mustard gas on a regular basis or something?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Whole lot of gas mask chat as a result of that Bad Reporter. Are you guys all bombarded with mustard gas on a regular basis or something?

Are you not?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I think Shadowcatboy had a version of the Red Hen story. When it came time to eat the bread, the Dog pointed out "I forged the tools that cut the grain" the Donkey "I run and built the mill that made your flour" and the cat "I built the oven you used to bake it" then the Henn screamed they were communists.

Edit: It was in reply to the 'You didn't build that" nontroversy

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

La Brea Carpet posted:

"Who will help me eat this bread?", said the little red hen.

"Actually," began the fat capitalist pig, "all that bread belongs to me, so I will eat it and when I've had my fill you can have what's left."

"But I worked hard to make this bread!," exclaimed the little red hen.

"You see, my father's father was granted this land by the government after they drove off the original farmers. He started this farm and grew the first wheat. He became successful and built his own mill. He was able to hire people to farm his wheat for him. He passed on the farm to his son and when he died he passed it on to me. I have never planted the wheat, harvested it, ground it, or made it into bread, but I own all the value associated with each step. My grandfather took a risk starting this farm 100 years ago, and because I share his genes I and my sons are entitled to all the fruits of his labor for perpetuity." said the greedy capitalist pig.

"Well since you own this farm, I am happy to give a part of this bread, but I need some so that my family can eat and continue to work on the farm." said the little red hen.

"No, I get all the bread because I have more wealth than you. I know how much this bread is worth and how much you should get to survive. If you don't like how much bread I give you then go start your own farm. Be warned it will cost many loaves of bread to buy a farm, and you only get a very small portion of a loaf each day." said the greedy capitalist pig.

"gently caress you!" said the little red hen

congrats, the kid fell asleep bc of how boring your story was

• Locked thread