Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

contain might be strong but it does a good job absorbing rads yeah, you are correct tho water is only used to regulate temperature in plants (which is why the steam is allowed into the outside enviroment!)

Water still gets used as a moderator to slow down the reaction, they just keep it in a closed loop completely separate from the generator steam loop. There's a sealed pipe of superheated reactor water that goes through a tank of clean water, so the heat transfers out and boils the surrounding water but the irradiated reactor water never mixes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Here's an article about water's ability to absorb radiation, turns out it's remarkably efficient at doing so. It's also why if you forget your sunblock when you go swimming, you're somewhat less likely to get sunburnt if you spend most of your time in the water rather than basking in the sunlight (but still, you should always try to have sunblock).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, those plans to dump nuclear waste in the ocean make a little bit more sense now.

So besides not being effective against rock, ground, steel, water, and presumably ice, it also seems like nuclear shouldn't be able to damage or be damaged by electric types at all.

If they had put any thought or effort into it, radiation could sort of work ad an actual type instead of a dumb gimmick.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Seeing the deal with this game makes all that stuff where people were lamenting S&M coming out right around the same time (some even went as far as to say Nintendo did it on purpose) and the stuff where people were holding it up right beside AM2R as a great fan project struck by unfair C&D quite funny.

e: Thanks for this LP.

Tlp.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 17, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ugh, I forgot about all the Arceus BS in the dialogue.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

I think that was a Sonic Adventure joke since the options were "hero" and "dark".

Indeed it was. Minicorn has branching evolutions. Kiricorn keeps its Normal/Fairy typing, but Oblivicorn is Dark/Fairy.

Also it kinda looks like Shadow The Hedgehog The Unicorn.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
So is this "Arceus is a god of the Pokemon World" actually something from the games because if so, the idea that a small child can walk around with god in their balls amuses me, and is also not wholly out of the question for Pokemon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bob Smith posted:

So is this "Arceus is a god of the Pokemon World" actually something from the games because if so, the idea that a small child can walk around with god in their balls amuses me, and is also not wholly out of the question for Pokemon.

Its Pokedex entry says that it created the universe, so.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bob Smith posted:

It's all fanwank based on the church-like building from D/P/P implying that the pokemon world does in fact have organized religion, and what Arceus is described as in the first place.

But as a direct 1:1 with the cultural concept of a god? Not really.

e: like yeah it is absolutely a god in terms of "power levels" so what you're giggling about is actually a part of the games, but when pokemon fanfic clumsily shoves in the idea of "Arceus is the focal point of some sort of generic background Abrahamic monotheism that is the pokemon world's official religion" it just feels dumb and pointless.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 17, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arceus is called the Original One and said to have created everything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Most importantly, NPCs do not use the word Arceus the way we use the word God.

In fact the only NPCs to even name Arceus are those involved in a secret event in HG/SS.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Most importantly, NPCs do not use the word Arceus the way we use the word God.

In fact the only NPCs to even name Arceus are those involved in a secret event in HG/SS.

Arceus sounding a lot like AO from Forgotten Realms lore

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Shugojin posted:

Arceus sounding a lot like AO from Forgotten Realms lore

There's about an equivalent level of confusing distant dickbaggery as AO here in that secret event. The implication is that you order your Arceus to create an entire alternate universe--potentially ours--for the sake of giving you a baby legendary.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ehhhh until Arceus canon decrees the continued existence of the Wall of the Faithless he got nothing on AO in terms of being a dick

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mister Olympus posted:

There's about an equivalent level of confusing distant dickbaggery as AO here in that secret event. The implication is that you order your Arceus to create an entire alternate universe--potentially ours--for the sake of giving you a baby legendary.

look, i caught him, i got the badges, he'll do what i loving want :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Color Printer posted:

look, i caught him, i got the badges, he'll do what i loving want :colbert:

So sayeth the blood contract engraved upon the badges.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Thanks for the explanations, and yes this does seem a dumb thing in that context now.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Wait, "Oblivicorn"? gently caress you, Uranium.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Dalris Othaine posted:

I love how everyone finds their breaking point sooner or later.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Where is the Lead based pokemon?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

Is water actually used to contain radiation? I was under the impression that its use in plants is to regulate temperature and create steam. Like, one of the problems surrounding the Fukushima plant is that its irradiating the surrounding ground and sea water.

To rather badly oversimplify, when talking radioactive contamination, you are talking about both radiation, and radioactive objects. Water is pretty dang good at absorbing radiation, but if radioactive particles get into the groundwater, then they can be carried into rivers, wash up on the shore, and end up in drinking water, and that is bad.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Garlikid is far worse than ObliviKORN.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dalris Othaine posted:

It's an attempt at a pun so I can respect it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Ehhhh until Arceus canon decrees the continued existence of the Wall of the Faithless he got nothing on AO in terms of being a dick

Wouldn't the FR cosmos basically collapse without the Wall of the Faithless at this point? I mean, the god who initially set it up did it mostly out of pure spite, but after AO changed the cosmos rules to force the deities to actually respect their followers (before the cosmological change it was nice to have followers; afterwards the gods suddenly needed to have followers, or they'd start losing their powers), so the Wall of the Faithless sort of represents the other part - giving mortals an incentive to actually worship something. Alternatively Faithless souls would just clutter up the Fugue Plane, ripe for stealing by various evil outsiders, without it.

Generally don't view that as just being a dick. It's not a nice move, but one better than the alternative.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Arceus is called the Original One and said to have created everything.

Also notable: All of those entries explicitly mentioned the fact that it's mythology and legend.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Where is the Lead based pokemon?

backhoe/steelix

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bogart posted:

Garlikid is far worse than ObliviKORИ.

Debatable. Also, fixed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Now we just gotta wait for his own spin-off game where he gets a gun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

To rather badly oversimplify, when talking radioactive contamination, you are talking about both radiation, and radioactive objects. Water is pretty dang good at absorbing radiation, but if radioactive particles get into the groundwater, then they can be carried into rivers, wash up on the shore, and end up in drinking water, and that is bad.

In other words, water makes a good radiation shield, but is lousy for containment.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In other words, water makes a good radiation shield, but is lousy for containment.

Water is good at absorbing the energy (and energetic particles) radioactive materials emit. This is good.

Water is also good at spreading around radioactive materials that it contacts. This is bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bad at containing, great at retaining.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, this game was partially designed by a brony?

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Well that's not fair. Gen V was filled with anime-faced horses

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

freshlybaked posted:

One of them was more like an anime elk, and one looked like a bulldog had sex with a ram.

(Keldeo is 100% Anime Horse, though, I'll give you that.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

Well, three of them were some variant of deer (and none of them had legs that worked like any equine) but yeah. It takes a lot more than "cartoon magic horse" to pin down something as a brony thing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

All this talk about water being used as a radiation shield and not a single picture of the :krad: Cherenkov radiation? For shame!

https://i.imgur.com/is7BKp1.mp4

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Between the glow and the visible push downwards I'm hearing the Wave Motion Gun in my head.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
I remember a decent amount of conversation about Bealbeach being a difficulty spike in the game. I'm not sure if I remember it being one for me, personally, but I also may have just forgot. There's an event post-beating the Bealbeach gym leader that presents an interesting opportunity/exploit, but that might be treading on the spoiler line too much to go into details yet.

Either way, looking forward to you acquiring more game-breaking Pokemon, OFS.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Man that lovely deviantart oc unicorn makes me want to see a new, actually well done unicorn, Pokemon. I mean we already have Rapidash and the gen 5 legendary, but I think there's still some unexplored design space. I want to see a Pokemon that's a cross between a mythological unicorn and one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_rhinoceros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, this game was partially designed by a brony?

This design is just Keldeo, Ponyta, and Sylveon thrown into a blender, to be honest.

• Locked thread