Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Here's an article on Eurogamer talking about this game's lovely F2P-style economy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-17-new-for-honor-emotes-spark-fresh-debate-about-the-grind

It was mostly triggered by the new "free" emotes costing 7k steel (and a reminder from yours truly that the new characters are almost guaranteed to cost 15k - 20k minimum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's an article on Eurogamer talking about this game's lovely F2P-style economy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-17-new-for-honor-emotes-spark-fresh-debate-about-the-grind

It was mostly triggered by the new "free" emotes costing 7k steel (and a reminder from yours truly that the new characters are almost guaranteed to cost 15k - 20k minimum)

I am fairly sure this is part of what made notably fun, good, and cool game Hawken collapse so thoroughly. It wasn't​ shy about the F2P mechanics but the free currency grind was "Korean MMO leveling" bad. 15-20k steel when you might get a couple dozen from anything that doesn't take 30 minutes (and only like what, 150 from dominion?) is kind of horseshit seeing as though it retailed at AAA pricing.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I've been playing a poo poo-tonne of For Honor. (The joys of working relief and not getting shifts...) and it's taken me forever to even get 4k steel.

This combined with everything else is going to kill the game in 2 months if not sooner unless they pull up out of the nosedive. Even if it is just cosmetic items people get really critical on a game that has grinding F2P like transactions in a $60 game, and rightly so.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Assuming you do your daily orders every day, that alone will get you 4200 steel every week, not counting steel from the matches themselves or from the assignable contacts. So if you really push it you could probably get about 5k steel per week.

This is not a critique of your point, more of an objective analysis. Edit: fixed because I forgot you get two orders per day.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2017

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Get this: nobody is forced to buy emotes, and characters can be played in the "good" modes (i.e. non gear-score modes) without any disadvantage if you don't unlock them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

Get this: nobody is forced to buy emotes, and characters can be played in the "good" modes (i.e. non gear-score modes) without any disadvantage if you don't unlock them.

I think the point is that these weekly mini content patches seem intended as an apologetic gift for the game's current state, yet you're expected to either grind significantly or buy steel to take advantage of them. I've long stopped playing until they get their poo poo in order, so it means little to me personally.

VVVVVVVVV Unless one of the new ones is the Shugoki heel click I wouldn't give a drat even if I were still playing with any regularity.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't really play games every day after a certain point so it does take a really drat long time for me to get the steel required to unlock [anything], let alone multiple emotes. Taht poo poo would literally take me months

For some loving emotes

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I think default Silver gain is fine as long as you only care about your main. It's unfortunate that getting cool cosmetics and upgrading your side character is just too expensive. It feels like the game really funnels you to picking a main.

I'm okay with the ornament prices because most of the cool and non-ridiculous ones are cheap (I'm repping Wardens mohawk one right now). It just gets ridiculous for emotes and executions, especially considering you might not even get a chance to use them.

The real problem though is gear being so crucial and so expensive. It would be okay if you could get competitive gear early, but it's not even worth it to buy crates until you hit rep 3. So you're stuck feeling underpowered until you play only that hero for a long time. I know duel and brawl don't factor in gear, but the exp gain on those is so low and the game seems focused on 4v4.

I wish they would rotate around a 4v4 gear stats disabled mode. I'm sure Ubi really wants to push the gear grind so disabling gear for all three at once is probably a pipe dream, but a single team mode where you could level up off mains without feeling gimped would be nice. Or at least fix the matchmaking so it takes character equipment level into consideration.

They've said they're going to nerf revenge builds and that it was "not intended" but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm betting they slightly decrease the ridiculous 2x damage while in revenge and compress the stat lines, but Ubi wants gear to really make you feel powerful so you spend more money.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

satanic splash-back posted:

The point is that they are cool and fun, like the rest of the game, and desirable, and they are a marketing point (weekly free content updates!)

The fact that riding a halberd like a pony doesn't effect the actual gameplay doesn't make it any less awesome.

The fact that a bunch of f2p games run purely on cosmetic sales should clue you in to the fact that cosmetics have value to a lot of players.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

look if you just play for a few hours a day every day you can eventually have enough to buy a custom effect for one character you play in this $60 game you bought

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I mainly just want the gold armor at the end of renown 9 so I can be the most garish motherfucker on the battlefield.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Does everyone else get a crazy amount of Wow! spam when playing valk? Every time I chain stun someone they spam the poo poo out of it until the end of the match. Like, don't you know that's what Valkyrie does?

I imagine on PC they'd be typing up a storm of salt but on PS4 all they can do is spam wow!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 18, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

zeldadude posted:

Does everyone else get a crazy amount of Wow! spam when playing valk? Every time I chain stun someone they spam the poo poo out of it until the end of the match. Like, don't you know that's what Valkyrie does?

I imagine on PC they'd be typing up a storm of salt but on PS4 all they can do is spam wow!

'Wow!' is the passive aggressive manchild code word for "gently caress you, that wasn't fair" in this game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Effectively charging for cosmetics and such is one way to support the game long term and major things like maps and modes and patches will be free because of it, It would be cool if all the little trinkets were free but this is the business model reality, and at least the game itself is not affected in a major way. Every multi online game has a level grind and ability unlocks too so that part is not controversial to me.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

zeldadude posted:

Not a lot of valk players around that are very good at working her combos so I imagine they are quite WOW!'d when they just get owned without knowing what to do.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Are the maps on some kind of rotation? Have played citadel gate about 50 times in a row and not played high fort nor seen it in the map vote for ever, it does not exist right now

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Wandle Cax posted:

Are the maps on some kind of rotation? Have played citadel gate about 50 times in a row and not played high fort nor seen it in the map vote for ever, it does not exist right now

High Fort and River Fort got removed for the time being, some issue being fixed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They apparently had some significantly higher rate of disconnects and resyncs needed, I've got a pretty "Meh" rig by this point and even I manage to run smooth, 1080 with everything on high, so I dunno what the deal there was, too many onboard laptop GPUs were stroking out I guess.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

High Fort and River Fort got removed for the time being, some issue being fixed.

Oh right, thought that was a bit odd

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Alright what the gently caress voodoo houdoon arcane magic bullshit do you have to do to make this game not take a raging shitfit in Skirmish and Dominion? I've been trying to complete today's Skirmish orders but so far three games in a row have kicked me out due to FPS dropping below 30.

I've set all Graphics option to low, updated my drivers, upped the priority of For Honor in properties, closed down all other programs, and still at some point (usually whenever I'm getting pummeled by 2-3 dudes at once, and especially it seems if I pop Revenge or there is a fire nearby) the game will suddenly chug like molasses and boot me from the match.

Maybe it's the games way of warning me away from the garbage fire modes, but I have no goddamn idea what is causing this, and everything else runs fine - I get 40-45 FPS minimum on the benchmark, and every other game installed (inc. MMOs) runs a good 50-60 FPS on high settings except this steaming PoS. i5-4460 CPU, GTX 970 GPU, 16GB RAM, what can I do to unfuck this thing and actually play Dominion or Skirmish?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ambi posted:

Alright what the gently caress voodoo houdoon arcane magic bullshit do you have to do to make this game not take a raging shitfit in Skirmish and Dominion? I've been trying to complete today's Skirmish orders but so far three games in a row have kicked me out due to FPS dropping below 30.

I've set all Graphics option to low, updated my drivers, upped the priority of For Honor in properties, closed down all other programs, and still at some point (usually whenever I'm getting pummeled by 2-3 dudes at once, and especially it seems if I pop Revenge or there is a fire nearby) the game will suddenly chug like molasses and boot me from the match.

Maybe it's the games way of warning me away from the garbage fire modes, but I have no goddamn idea what is causing this, and everything else runs fine - I get 40-45 FPS minimum on the benchmark, and every other game installed (inc. MMOs) runs a good 50-60 FPS on high settings except this steaming PoS. i5-4460 CPU, GTX 970 GPU, 16GB RAM, what can I do to unfuck this thing and actually play Dominion or Skirmish?

Some games are insane and I've seen For Honor in particular run better on HIGHER settings on a friends PC compared to when he ran it on low. I see you have an NVIDIA card, have you tried going into the NVIDIA experience application (the interface that runs shadowplay and poo poo) and let it choose the 'optiomized' settings it thinks it should set? I would do that and then turn off any anti aliasing.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 18, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ambi posted:

Try forcing pre-rendered frames to 0 in the nvidia control panel. That helps with lots of games for some weird reason.

Unfortunately I think the biggest problem with For Honor performance is the reflections in certain maps, they chug much more than maps that don't have many reflections, but there's no loving reflections option in the graphics settings

I have a 970 and while I get frame dips sometimes, its never nearly that bad. Maybe you're CPU limited? Shouldn't be though, IDK.

Captain Beans posted:

Some games are insane and I've seen For Honor in particular run better on HIGHER settings on a friends PC compared to when he ran it on low. I see you have an NVIDIA card, have you tried going into the NVIDIA experience application (the interface that runs shadowplay and poo poo) and let it choose the 'optiomized' settings it thinks it should set? I would do that and then turn off any anti aliasing.

Nah. Don't do this. Nvidia Experience is garbage.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 18, 2017

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
The optimised settings from NVIDIA pushes it up to high, which I was getting regular FPS lag in so I swapped down to med. I tried out the weird "un-allocate one CPU core" thing and that seems to have fixed it somehow? Or at least it let me get two games of Skirmish in, even accidentally went into Elimination and crushed it as Nobushi, rapidly becoming my favourite character.

Skirmish, when it works, is I think the most chill of all modes? It's not as busy as Dominion and I have gotten matched up against way fewer high-gearscore opponents, and nowhere near as focused and tense as Duel/Brawl/Elimination 1v1s. It's just a chill mode for roving about as a 2-man death pair.

First match I was against an 80-something gearscore Warden, who was good and could vortex when I wasn't out of range, but who had some godawful teammates - he'd be fighting me and 1-2 of them would rush in to spam side light attacks, instantly give me revenge, and let me just zone-attack half or all of their health away without even unlocking from the Warden.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
the first person to do anything loses: the video game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone seeing colors meant to unlock at reputation 0 level 1 for their hero but are still locked? wierd.

e: they seem to work when you reset appearance

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah that happened I think last patch, cause I know at launch and for a while those were obviously just selectable, it's some weird bug or another.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
What in the world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si2ZF5_URxQ&t=252s

this game must be ridiculous n good when you can play it at a high level, and against other high level people.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

What in the world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si2ZF5_URxQ&t=252s

this game must be ridiculous n good when you can play it at a high level, and against other high level people.

Somebody should blur out those names because what I just saw was obscene.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That's basically that map whenever I Bring the Law. Once went 18-0 in a skirmish and every one was into those pits.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I kinda miss the viking maps for variety at this point.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It gets harder to like this game the more stuff you realise is hosed about it

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah, I deleted it off my hard drive to make room for Horizon: Zero Dawn. Ill check back in a few months and see if Ubi has fixed the huge amount of glaring problems with it.

You know that term "polishing a turd", as in if something is lovely at its core there's no amount of sheen that can make it good? I feel like For Honor is the opposite. It's a gold bar, it's just unfortunately covered in an impenetrable layer of Ubisoft's poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Why do execution moves execute a enemy at differing times? it seems like the visuals get in the way of the move actually performing it's function to prevent a enemy from reviving.

Lawbringer has some neato visuals, but it takes him a eternity to finish executing someone, other classes moves can vary between 1-4 seconds to be fatal.

Also, why does the warlord seem to only have a single, repetitive, slow animation for killing soldiers while everyone else becomes a ballerina of death?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 19, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Why do execution moves execute a enemy at differing times? it seems like the visuals get in the way of the move actually performing it's function to prevent a enemy from reviving.

Lawbringer has some neato visuals, but it takes him a eternity to finish executing someone, other classes moves can vary between 1-4 seconds to be fatal.

Also, why does the warlord seem to only have a single, repetitive, slow animation for killing soldiers while everyone else becomes a ballerina of death?

When you're killing soldiers, your regular attack chains still apply. So for Warlord you'll want to be alternating light and heavy attacks when hitting soldiers. Most other characters have simple repetitive light->light chains, so that doesn't become as apparent for them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I came back to this after stopping playing it for a couple weeks and just decided I'd go Peacekeeper because if you can't beat 'em etc.

She's about as crazy as I thought, buckets of moves and enough speed and dodge distance to basically play Bloodborne with everyone.

Bad players just get destroyed by doing her dodge heavy light combo in any direction.

If I run into decent players I just bait an attack and start mixing up light attacks so fast even I don't know what I'm doing while dodging everything until they're sure the only thing I can do is attack spam then I grab them and do the triple stab, sometimes twice in a row before going back into the spam.

Its basically a guaranteed disconnect.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Don't forget to use her zone which is the fastest attack in the game. Just make sure to cancel it after the first hit.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Perestroika posted:

When you're killing soldiers, your regular attack chains still apply. So for Warlord you'll want to be alternating light and heavy attacks when hitting soldiers. Most other characters have simple repetitive light->light chains, so that doesn't become as apparent for them.

Isn't this a subtle enforcement of Heavy meta? Heavies shouldn't be killing creeps, right? They should be on the wings fighting for neckbeard glory.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
2v2 Tourney is live

https://www.twitch.tv/scottjund

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Isn't this a subtle enforcement of Heavy meta? Heavies shouldn't be killing creeps, right? They should be on the wings fighting for neckbeard glory.

Eh, I'm not sure. It's more a Warlord-specific thing than a Heavy-specific one. Warlord is just all about relatively small-arc and focused attacks on one enemy at a time. By comparison, Shugoki is absolutely fantastic for killing creeps (and also in group fights), with a wide sweeping zone attack and a heavy chain that also has a large arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can't confirm but I've read somewhere the longer the execution animation, the more health it will give. It's a gamble really.