Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Was Eureka Seven really popular or something, that they keep going back to this show? (Despite all of the followups being badawful?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was pretty popular at the time yeah, back when mecha shows still could be (just about).

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Was Eureka AO really that bad?

Never had the chance to watch it yet but I hear so many mixed reviews.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lepecard posted:

Let me put it in the easiest way I can: it's a series whose main moral is that the previous series' main moral was completely wrong and its big bad was actually right all along.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let me put it in the easiest way I can: it's a series whose main moral is that the previous series' main moral was completely wrong and its big bad was actually right all along.
That actually makes the show sound interesting.

I should add I've never seen AO or the original show though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the eureka 7 movie was the only time i got angry at a movie or show

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't even remember specific moments or reasons why I hated AO so much, such was the rejection my brain wanted to make of that show. I do remember it being real jerks to anything actually related to the original and the main villain being really bad. Didn't it also have a literal retcon cannon that made the whole thing pointless by the end as well?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lepecard posted:

E7AO is the loss.jpg of the E7 franchise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raxivace posted:

The main romance couple who's whole point that they can co-exist is immediately told "No you can't. In fact, your babies will turn to stone for even trying." And there's a literal unkillable villain that chases the cast for most of the series and only a literal retcon universe gun can stop him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I don't even remember specific moments or reasons why I hated AO so much, such was the rejection my brain wanted to make of that show. I do remember it being real jerks to anything actually related to the original and the main villain being really bad. Didn't it also have a literal retcon cannon that made the whole thing pointless by the end as well?

AO was basically sheer ineptitude and wasted plot points from start to finish, capped off by Eureka's Poisoned Womb and Retcon Cannon.

Also remember how Renton adopted a trio of kids? Because AO sure doesn't.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have never seen a show so willing or eager to sacrifice literally every interesting story element or plot development it had as AO was. It was almost impressive how much commitment it had to taking the most boring, undramatic, anti-story path possible at every chance.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

When the moral that is being poo poo on by the new series is "People who are different can learn to live in peace and happiness together" it gets kind of hosed up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

also the show literally ends via the main character shooting his problems until they retroactively cease to exist, so, yeah

lot of, uh, interesting subtext to unpack there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite part was where the have an ongoing plot thread involving TheEND being kept in secret and then it randomly gets blown up for no reason and nobody cares.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

E7 AO juggled a billion plot threads and character arcs and didn't forget any of them.

It just so happens that the conclusion for a whole lot of them was "the plot device explodes/the character stops existing" with a side dish of "the character is ineffectual and achieves nothing".

It's almost impressive how unsatisfying all of it is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So I guess this is a thing.

Anime News Network posted:

A ground-breaking new collaboration, titled the "Miracle Robot Force", was announced to celebrate the 40th anniversaries of four different mecha anime broadcast between 1976 and 1977. The anime production companies Eiken, Wako, and Nippon Animation will cross boundaries to commemorate the shows UFO Senshi Daiapolon, Chogattai Majutsu Robot Ginguiser, Gasshin Sentai Mechander Robo, and Blocker Corps IV: Machine Blaster. The collaboration began on April 3 and is planned to last for around one year.

It doesn't seem to be leading to any actual new animation, but how often is Ginguiser in the news?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...t-force/.114294

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait Ginguiser was a real show? I thought it was some kind of fake meme.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

Wait Ginguiser was a real show? I thought it was some kind of fake meme.

Like many series from that time, the show was real but the budget was fake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a real show made entirely from stock footage.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a real show made entirely from stock footage.

Hey, if this gives me five minutes of explosion slideshow with 2017 caliber animation I'm sold

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Schwarzwald posted:

It doesn't seem to be leading to any actual new animation, but how often is Ginguiser in the news?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...t-force/.114294

i want some kind of actual collab animation between these four

i also want the plot to explicitly be 'well gently caress we can't get any of the super robots anyone cared about to fix this, uhhh, you four, i guess', and that they're totally self-aware that as far as 70s robot anime goes, these four are the absolute bottom of the barrel

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If I didn't know which one was Mechander I would have pegged it for some sort of bizarre Combattler parody.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gyra_Solune posted:

i also want the plot to explicitly be 'well gently caress we can't get any of the super robots anyone cared about to fix this, uhhh, you four, i guess', and that they're totally self-aware that as far as 70s robot anime goes, these four are the absolute bottom of the barrel

That'd be miserable. You have to play that kind of thing straight.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

That'd be miserable. You have to play that kind of thing straight.

You could do both. First episode opens with aliens or whatever wrecking the earth, voiceover says "Earth's greatest defenders were defeated" and you see in silhouette famous robots getting destroyed, then it's up to these four robots that were held in stasis or whatever on Mars or whatever because nobody thought they'd be needed.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Schwarzwald posted:

Those all look like roughly the same robot. Why is everyone so drat red?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Majestic Prince movie has been subbed and is on nyaa now. It was a lot of fun! It had the same comedic style as the tv show and the action was really good. If you enjoyed the show you should def. check it out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

The Majestic Prince movie has been subbed and is on nyaa now. It was a lot of fun! It had the same comedic style as the tv show and the action was really good. If you enjoyed the show you should def. check it out.
Hell yeah I know what I'm watching today.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Droyer posted:

Is it a review or a sequel? I've been thinking of rewatching the series.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

Is it a review or a sequel? I've been thinking of rewatching the series.

It's a sequel. The bonus episode at the end of the rebroadcast was there to set up the secondary cast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's very much a movie sequel, though. A major but relatively self-contained threat that doesn't greatly alter the overall plot. Definitely feels like setup for a full sequel series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how the MJP movie is about how wonderful graffiti is.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love how in MJP taking down boss units is always a team effort. (With the exception of Jiart, I guess.)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in a robot kinda mood, are either Buddy Complex or Break Blade worth watching (and for BB movies or tv show)? The one thing I know about Buddy Complex is it was literally written by committee which doesn't exactly inspire confidence, and a friend of mine wasn't very impressed with Break Blade, but should I give either a shot?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found both pretty boring, of the two Break Blade is probably the better since the promise is fairly interesting, I've only seen the OVA series not TV though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They're both bland as f

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Skip them both and watch Patlabor instead.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
buddy complex is kinda bad

break blade has a fun setting and cooler robots, and its characters are way better, between the two i don't think it's a competition

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I decided to watch the second half of kuromukuro instead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

I decided to watch the second half of kuromukuro instead.

:yeah:

It's a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I was pleasantly surprised how good Kuromukuro turned out to be. I hope it gets a follow up.