Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

This show is odd in that people are right, it doesn;t start to drag with the later episodes the same way the other netflix shows did, but at the same time you could probably start on episode 4 and not really miss anything. Skipping the 2nd episode would be a blessing, anyway.

I do enjoy it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Percelus posted:

having watched more of dexter than i care to admit, the showrunner. the way everyone was so blind to dexter murdering people left and right despite all the warning signs and legitimate accusations hurled at him early on, they were basically the most comically inept pd on any tv show ever

You've never watched any episodes of Lucifer, I take it?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

yeah danny was never the most exciting character, i'm p sure that is why they had to merge his series with luke cage decades ago. shang-chi has a much better backstory, being the son of a crime lord trained from birth to be the ultimate weapon. better than another batman begins/arrow tale of white guy billionaire trained in martial arts at least.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think Iron Fist will work better in the Defenders, as he can play up the naive hero act against 3 solidly anti-heroes.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

danny isn't the best main protagonist but my enjoyment of the show is enhanced when i imagine that ward is donald trump and harold is fred

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like that the thread title never got changed. The thread isn't even ready for a kung fu white man.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Gyges posted:

I like that the thread title never got changed. The thread isn't even ready for a kung fu white man.

tbqh iron fist always felt like luke cage's dumb new age sidekick

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The beginning of episode 8 shocked me. I recognize that it is stupid that it shocked me, but it did.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think Iron Fist will work better in the Defenders, as he can play up the naive hero act against 3 solidly anti-heroes.

yea I think it'll be genuinely neat to see this Iron Fist hang out with this version of Luke and Jessica and Dare Devil.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Percelus posted:

tbqh iron fist always felt like luke cage's dumb new age sidekick

As for the show, I didn't like Luke Cage and I haven't even watched Jessica Jones, but I did like this so far. It isn't the best show of the bunch, that's still Season 1 Daredevil, but it has its moments.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
E7 question: do later episodes explain why Gao had no apparent connection to the Hand in either season of Daredevil, given that she clearly does here?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Percelus posted:

so are the negative reviews mostly a reaction to a white guy doing kung fu? i don't understand how asian people doing kung fu is a racial stereotype but the moment a white person does kung fu it's white washing. i do understand being frustrated there are still no top billed asian actors in the mcu though.

Pretty much. Every criticism of the show that has to do with how "white" Danny's behavior is encapsulates your guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess I'm confused (on episode 10): So did Danny punch a dragon, become the Iron Fist, and then immediately leave? Why doesn't he know anything beyond what appears to be the most basic glowy punch?

He is the worst Iron Fist.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 18, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It gets better after the first couple episodes.

Also, in episode 7, that quick moment he takes to recollect himself in the car, looking at his personal account balance, was hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I honestly don't see the problems with the series because I am on Episode 2 and This is completely believable and the correst approach for a psychiatric doctor to think.

I am not joking when I say that this is just unnecessary backlash to this show and it's really weird cause it's pretty decent.

The show takes a super realistic approach to Danny Rand returning and I think people find this offputting.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I swear to christ, would it have killed Finn Jones to tone up for playing this role? The most unbelievable part of Iron Fist's magical punch man ability is every time this dude takes off his shirt.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That was good. Not better than the first half of Luke Cage, but better than Luke Cage as a whole.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VanillaGorilla posted:

I swear to christ, would it have killed Finn Jones to tone up for playing this role? The most unbelievable part of Iron Fist's magical punch man ability is every time this dude takes off his shirt.

There are a lot of problems with Finn Jones' Iron Fist. But goddamn if I don't love the hell out of every instance of [post episode 3] little kid in a business suit that happens while he's "working" at Rand. Oooh, Stickers!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really don't get the hate of this series.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Lol. Maybe watch more than one episode, man.

I'm only up to 7, and we've had the Bride of Spiders, Kun'Lun being in another dimension, a flashback to Danny's mentor saying his final tournament bout to become the Iron Fist is with the Dragon, Crane Mother's TK-slap, Harold being ressurected in the backstory, and lots of glowy-hand-kaboom.

On episode 9 now, and I'd love some of what you're smoking.

Exposition about supernatural elements that aren't actually shown plus five or six glowy fist scenes does not equate to embracing the supernatural aspects of the source material. It's basically the bare minimum that could be done without excising those elements entirely.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Watched the first three, I think its decent. Maybe it goes downhill, don't think it deserves the flack from what I've seen several far.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xillah posted:

Watched the first three, I think its decent. Maybe it goes downhill, don't think it deserves the flack from what I've seen several far.

Yeah, I can understand the backlash but being a comic nerd I think it's a great adaptation so far.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like folks are massively reframing the sticking point of those early reviews - which was that pretty much every critic formed a consensus that this show was just astoundingly mediocre with poor writing, a miscast lead incapable of elevating it, and poorly done action scenes. Not that it was "the worst show ever conceived" or some thing. The reason it was noteworthy was due to the quantity of reviews sharing that same assessment, not the actual level of negativity.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

It's good, and doesn't deserve the lashing that it got. It's not as good as Daredevil or Luke Cage - I agree with people who say that if Iron Fist had come earlier in the sequence it would have fared better.

Also, Finn Jones really is the first casting mistake I think they've made. He's just not good, and it kinda bums me out that we'll be stuck with him in Defenders too. Every scene he's in, every supporting actor just runs rings around him and it's just kinda sad.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Slow, slow slow slow slow slow

SLOW

Where is the loving martial arts?

SLOW

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I can understand the backlash but being a comic nerd I think it's a great adaptation so far.

Never read the comic, didn't even know the origin story, I'm digging it.

Couldn't watch a 22 episode season over 6 months, 13 episode binge over a week or two? No bother.

Rand is such a loving moron mind, watching the first part of episode 4 the most surprising thing that could happen is Harold to actually be decent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

I feel like folks are massively reframing the sticking point of those early reviews - which was that pretty much every critic formed a consensus that this show was just astoundingly mediocre with poor writing, a miscast lead incapable of elevating it, and poorly done action scenes. Not that it was "the worst show ever conceived" or some thing. The reason it was noteworthy was due to the quantity of reviews sharing that same assessment, not the actual level of negativity.

Most people don't read the reviews, the general consensus is drawn from the headlines and the first couple lines. Then all the aggregators bundle things up and add their own titles. Which drove the narrative from "nothing special with a few issues" to "Marvel hosed up: the Iron Fist fiasco". Which by now reviewers, aggregators, and consumers should all understand is how it works, but that still remains not the case. Expect a bunch of articles questioning whether critics are idiots by next week, which will also miss the point.

Though there is a valid argument to be had over whether pumping out reviews based on 6 episodes of a series needs to be reexamined. Iron Fist seems fairly consistent so far, but the other Netflix Marvel shows have had notable issues in the back half of the season, and perhaps a single sentence about how maybe things'll change isn't sufficient after watching less than 50% of a show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I think the whole realist approach to someone coming back from the dead is more off-putting but it makes sense.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
This is by far the worst opening credits of any of the Netflix series though. Jesus, it's like they saw the Daredevil opening, missed the point, and figured a kung fu wax action figure would just knock the socks off everyone. At least give me some color other than black ink.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That first episode was pretty good, what's the deal with all the critic hate? That was on par with the first episodes from the rest of the Netflix Marvels.

Going to watch the others now because I guess I'm the target audience or something.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Man Danny is dumb.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Only one episode in so far, but as pilots go I'm liking it well enough. Everyone is acting in reasonable ways given what they know and the action scenes are sparse but I like how they differentiate from Murdock/Jones/Cage.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Four episodes in and this just doesn't work. there isn't any tension here. I don't care about Danny or any of these characters, and it's no "fault" of those characters themselves.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hollismason posted:

I honestly don't see the problems with the series because I am on Episode 2 and This is completely believable and the correst approach for a psychiatric doctor to think.

I am not joking when I say that this is just unnecessary backlash to this show and it's really weird cause it's pretty decent.

The show takes a super realistic approach to Danny Rand returning and I think people find this offputting.
Actually I've seen a lot of people from the mental health community write about how much they hated that episode

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Actually I've seen a lot of people from the mental health community write about how much they hated that episode

I don't know why I mean that's a pretty reasonable stance to take Spoiler Episode 2 Perfectly reasonable for a Doctor to think he is mentally ill and suffering from PTSD

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

achillesforever6 posted:

Do you have any links? I'd love to hear/read their take.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

'Will Danny Rand get his company back?" doesn't really work.

Should have given it back to him right away, leaving him to find out that he kind of hates this poo poo, while chasing him with some other sort of threat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think there are a lot of fight scenes in the back half that are pretty darn entertaining. The drunken master. The two fights with and the one against Davos. Anytime Colleen does basically anything.

And I think this one might have the best romantic subplot of any of the MCU.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I reallly really like Colleen Wing. So that's a major plus I am binging through hardcore and I am really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Episode 10 was good.

Gao: That is because you are a child, Danny.
Danny: (stamping his feet and scrunching up his face like a little baby) At least I'm not in prison!!!!

also

Colleen: I cared about you before I was ordered to, Danny.
Danny: Was that before or after you learned about the fist?:smug: