Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

You really are me... you son of a bitch.

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am so glad to be putting in my 2 weeks on Monday morning. The owner has started what is a shame trophy err "awareness" for money wasted on mistakes. For example if you didn't follow a process right and maybe had to work an extra hour on it or had some mistake that caused some extra work. Well that's 1 hour you spent fixing whatever mistake you did plus 1 in addition because you could have spent that time doing something else. That's $300 gone from the company! Whoever fucks up the most for the week gets a trophy of a cow they have to display until the next week in which it will be passed off to the next person.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
That is absolute crap, and the worst way to manage. The good implementation of that idea is the opposite "who saved the company the most/made the fewest mistakes" award. Good on you for getting out of there.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
does anyone have a really great set of logstash rules for ingesting windows logs from nxlog or similar? I have written some, but it's tedious and boring and I am hoping someone else has already suffered through this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I am so glad to be putting in my 2 weeks on Monday morning. The owner has started what is a shame trophy err "awareness" for money wasted on mistakes. For example if you didn't follow a process right and maybe had to work an extra hour on it or had some mistake that caused some extra work. Well that's 1 hour you spent fixing whatever mistake you did plus 1 in addition because you could have spent that time doing something else. That's $300 gone from the company! Whoever fucks up the most for the week gets a trophy of a cow they have to display until the next week in which it will be passed off to the next person.

Bet you he wastes company money and time on absolutely brain dead stupid poo poo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inspector_666 posted:

Then it's not a tracking number. Since that would imply you can track the package.

Sometimes the tracking information is not updated until the package is actually picked up by the shipper.

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah, okay. That's a dumb position so now I understand why I was confused.

The purpose of a VAR is to add value to the customer where the distributor wouldn't or can't. It's in the name "Value Added Reseller." The VAR, working with the distributor, as a value-add, should provide the customer a tracking number and an ETA for equipment. That is so the customer can plan their projects accordingly. Sometimes you may need to send a tech on-site, sometimes you may need to ensure an engineer with the proper knowledge is available.

If your VAR cannot hold its distributor's feet to the fire and provide you with both a tracking number and an estimated delivery date, get a new VAR because that one is garbage.

Hope this clears up my position on the topic and I look forward to your reply.

VARs don't usually get to pick a distributor, it's based on who the vendor prefers to work through in that region. The VAR can get a tracking number but they cannot make the shipper provide useful information or make the distributor make the shipper provide useful information, because they aren't magicians or dictators. They can ask and hope they get back a useful response, but a VAR doesn't really have much power over a distributor to force something to happen. Also, tracking numbers are equally important for the VAR because they often need to schedule services based on shipping information, so it's unlikely that they just don't give a poo poo about helping.

The best place to direct the complaint if the distributor is lovely is to the vendor, since they're the ones with the power in that relationship.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That is absolute crap, and the worst way to manage. The good implementation of that idea is the opposite "who saved the company the most/made the fewest mistakes" award. Good on you for getting out of there.

Yea I've been planning this exit for a while now since my girlfriend and I are hiking the Appalachian Trail starting the first week of April. It's perfect timing because the past two months have been a steady increase in more pointless meetings, more metrics, and more stress. I feel bad for the new guy because it wasn't like this before and he's already getting stressed out. The rest of the team is probably at an all time morale low and I'm going to be the first domino to fall.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

big money big clit posted:

Sometimes the tracking information is not updated until the package is actually picked up by the shipper.

VARs don't usually get to pick a distributor, it's based on who the vendor prefers to work through in that region. The VAR can get a tracking number but they cannot make the shipper provide useful information or make the distributor make the shipper provide useful information, because they aren't magicians or dictators. They can ask and hope they get back a useful response, but a VAR doesn't really have much power over a distributor to force something to happen. Also, tracking numbers are equally important for the VAR because they often need to schedule services based on shipping information, so it's unlikely that they just don't give a poo poo about helping.

The best place to direct the complaint if the distributor is lovely is to the vendor, since they're the ones with the power in that relationship.

Wait, so are you telling me VARs don't actually add any value or what?

Let me guess you work for a VAR and this hits a little too close to home?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

How to destroy your liver:

1. Live in a country where Central Intelligence(tm) uses notepad loving plus plus as an attack vector
2. Manage a quarter million servers
3. Notice it all on St. Patrick's Day
4. Bushmills

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 18, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jesus Christ. What was the attack vector on that one, downloads from unofficial sites? The CA having root access to your PC and replacing the DLL? Aren't both situations where you're pretty much hosed either way, since almost no Windows programs check DLLs?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wait, so are you telling me VARs don't actually add any value or what?

Let me guess you work for a VAR and this hits a little too close to home?

Some are good and some are lovely, much like, say, internet posts.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus Christ. What was the attack vector on that one, downloads from unofficial sites? The CA having root access to your PC and replacing the DLL? Aren't both situations where you're pretty much hosed either way, since almost no Windows programs check DLLs?

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/notepad-7.3.3-fix-cia-hacking-issue.html

quote:

It's not a vulnerability/security issue in Notepad++, but for remedying this issue, from this release (v7.3.3) forward, notepad++.exe checks the certificate validation in scilexer.dll before loading it. If the certificate is missing or invalid, then it just won't be loaded, and Notepad++ will fail to launch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are the .dll files modified? Or are you just updating in case they do.

Also, as noted in the patch, unless you're checking to make sure that the exe isn't modified, you've got that threat as well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

1. Live in a country where Central Intelligence(tm) uses notepad loving plus plus as an attack vector
4. Bushmills

This seems like a weird thing to get worked up over given that you've got to have the infected DLL on there for this to work and if you've got an infected DLL on there then your system was already compromised to allow that DLL to be swapped in the first place.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Paladine_PSoT posted:

4. Bushmills

Once made irish cream with Bushmills. Was like drinking chocolate almond butter.

That sounds a lot worse than it was.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hihifellow posted:

Once made irish cream with Bushmills. Was like drinking chocolate almond butter.

That sounds a lot worse than it was.

That sound amazing to start with so i may have to try. For a recipe?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

It loads a DLL without caring if it's signed or not. As of that patch Notepad++ now cares if that DLL is signed, but does it care who signed it? :iiam:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Working in IT 3.0: Magnets. How do they work?

This took me about an hour or so. It's about 20ish harddrives? So that's 3/minute...

This is gonna take me an entire month's worth of lunch breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zO9nWgI_LY

This video is for you. Don't die.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paladine_PSoT posted:

4. Bushmills

1, so, literally every country? Maybe they don't bother attacking like Andorra I guess.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

RFC2324 posted:

That sound amazing to start with so i may have to try. For a recipe?

Here's the one I used when I made it and a friend asked for it:

Alcoholism posted:

Pour the following ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. About two minutes or so, shorter if you mix them right away since the whiskey, eggs, and milk tend to seperate.

1 1/3rd cup of Irish Whiskey (I used Bushmills, its a mild whiskey that tastes a bit like butter, goes down very smooth, good if you don't want the whiskey to overpower everything else)
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup whipping cream (heavy whipping cream works fine)
4 eggs
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used nesquik, though that'll get me shot in Ireland if I use it with Bushmills)
2 teaspoons instant coffee (I hosed up and had to use coffee in a teabag, i just made it in half a cup of boiling water and used 2 tablespoons, and probably should of used more)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract (expensive)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hihifellow posted:

Here's the one I used when I made it and a friend asked for it:

Awesome, thanks!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is probably going to be really vague, but I'm hoping it's enough for someone to help me out. Hopefully people in here do some amount of data analysis / warehousing / BI work.

My boss wants me to do a data source map for a report I made last week. The thing is, he said he doesn't care what format I use, so I don't know what it should look like.

I'm thinking a flowchart of what column pulls from where? It's not a location thing, so it's not a literal map.

He's South African living in Canada, so some of his terminology has confused me at times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is probably going to be really vague, but I'm hoping it's enough for someone to help me out. Hopefully people in here do some amount of data analysis / warehousing / BI work.

My boss wants me to do a data source map for a report I made last week. The thing is, he said he doesn't care what format I use, so I don't know what it should look like.

I'm thinking a flowchart of what column pulls from where? It's not a location thing, so it's not a literal map.

He's South African living in Canada, so some of his terminology has confused me at times.

Might be best to ask for clarification from your boss rather than random people on the internet that don't know what your boss wants.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just use a bunch of radar charts.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Ever do something really complicated and it works the first time and now you really can't trust that you did it right?

Yeah.

mewse
May 2, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Owner is an idiot, this is like management 101

https://managementisajourney.com/in-100-words-public-humiliation-is-a-flawed-motivation-strategy/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Might be best to ask for clarification from your boss rather than random people on the internet that don't know what your boss wants.

Yeah, but he's in meetings non-stop for the next two days. I was hoping the term meant something more concrete than I was finding on Google. I like my boss, but he has a hard time clearly enunciating what he wants.

I'm just putting together a flow chart of where data comes from and goes to, it seems like that is probably what he wants. Worst case it gives me an idea of the data flow, even if it needs to be a completely different format.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, but he's in meetings non-stop for the next two days.

Wow, how does your company run without e-mail? :iiam:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Inspector_666 posted:

Wow, how does your company run without e-mail? :iiam:

I mean... if the guy can't properly articulate what he wants (or there are communication issues anyway) e-mail might not be the best media to attempt to clarify, though would be useful for a "Boss, need to talk to you about this request and get clarification"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My current boss is like that to some extent. He's so swamped that his email responses are often 2 or 3 sentences - just the bare facts. For an issue which might require a little more nuance, I pretty much have to run him down and corner him.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lots of people are bad at saying what they want, they assume you know what they want. There is nothing wrong with saying I don't know what you mean, care to explain, or I need more details. Like last week during hte snow storm office manager was insisting that he needed windows reinstalled. Turns out office had blown up because he was in the building when the power went out and pressed update office.

Microsoft is Microsoft right? Windows Office, same thing! I had a vague idea what was going on because I could ping his computer, and remote software was saying he was denying my remote assistance. He said he was too busy to deal with it now.

I'm using it because it's an easy to relate to example of people not getting computer terms. They also assume you get tons of special business terms and know their work flow. Also last week a user kept telling me "they did it right" "same way I always do" when they had a problem. I have never used the software they were using and had no idea what the process looks like, just show me so I can figure out the issue. Apparently they are the ones that read the files from the FTP server and what they see is not called anything related to the server or software. Vendor broke our account and FTP service alert was blocked by the spam filter, well that explains it!

Always ask for more info don't be embarrassed you don't know something, you can't know everything. You likely do know a bunch of stuff that they don't know. You are the guy doing all the magic to keep the servers running.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My current boss is like that to some extent. He's so swamped that his email responses are often 2 or 3 sentences - just the bare facts. For an issue which might require a little more nuance, I pretty much have to run him down and corner him.

Yeah this was my last boss. He was incredibly overextended, so I'd send him these very long, thorough emails and get a response like "ok". I definitely had to adjust my communication style to get anywhere with him. It usually involved dragging him down the street to his favorite coffee shop.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 20, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pretty much. This email requesting the map was the longest I've gotten in weeks, at 4 sentences long. Most of them are "Thanks, (my name)."

I can't corner him in his office since he's 75% remote.

He says he'll be able to talk with me about it later this week, so that will hopefully happen.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
edit: Removing old post to improve it with a whole new post.

My coworker just informed me that my title is misspelled in my signature block. I've been misspelling Administrator for 7 months and never noticed it. It's me. I'm the dumbest goon.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 20, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You should have been broken of that habit from helldesk.

Even with this poo poo today and how exhausted work makes me, I do love my job. When I started posting in this thread in 2014 or 2015, I spent all my time replacing hard drives and "fixing" printers. Now I'm writing excel reports and within the next two months I'll be helping rip the customized guts out of our SQL database, unfuck them, and put the database back together. This is the first time in my career I haven't been thinking about my next move. As long as I can get paid well, I would be happy to stay here for years.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

big money big clit posted:

This seems like a weird thing to get worked up over given that you've got to have the infected DLL on there for this to work and if you've got an infected DLL on there then your system was already compromised to allow that DLL to be swapped in the first place.

Sounds like my customer, one thing I had to go through was:

Customer wants to look through some server logs, finds something along the lines of: "warning: cannot resolve windowsupdate.com"
We had to explain - Yes, that would be because the network is currently completely offline but I think we were importing patches at the time, so the WSUS service is plodding along but obviously can't get to the internet as we did point out earlier...offline network
Customer told me I need to resolve that, as someone could spoof windowsupdate.com and trick our server into installing a malicious update.

I'm sure they could if I wasn't in a secure environment where people cant just walk in, even if they can walk in we dont let them connect IT to the network, if they tried there are a number of controls to stop anything happening. Did I mention we using a completely offline network, so I'm not going to fix that issue sorry.

Customer is not always right :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

Sounds like my customer, one thing I had to go through was:

Customer wants to look through some server logs, finds something along the lines of: "warning: cannot resolve windowsupdate.com"
We had to explain - Yes, that would be because the network is currently completely offline but I think we were importing patches at the time, so the WSUS service is plodding along but obviously can't get to the internet as we did point out earlier...offline network
Customer told me I need to resolve that, as someone could spoof windowsupdate.com and trick our server into installing a malicious update.

I'm sure they could if I wasn't in a secure environment where people cant just walk in, even if they can walk in we dont let them connect IT to the network, if they tried there are a number of controls to stop anything happening. Did I mention we using a completely offline network, so I'm not going to fix that issue sorry.

Customer is not always right :(

Add 127.0.0.1 to the host file for windowsupdate.com :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I've been playing monkey for Microsoft Support for weeks now, their latest solution is to just install the March update for Windows Server 2012. Now the loving Update won't install, but obviously some random Security update isn't going to fix our WDS problem.
gently caress cryptic microsoft errors.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Photshop is killing me.

A user on W10 cant save some psd files (random) that are on the shared drive because it is locked. Disabling the windows preview pane doesn't solve it. No other user is using it. spend some time searching for a solution but no dice so far. I have the user now using process explorer to find the DLL and kill the dll process.
Can't find any permanent solution. Adobe pretty much says: Work Locally then copy to the shared drive.

This seems like a easy to fix problem. maybe i'm just inept at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sefal posted:

Photshop is killing me.

A user on W10 cant save some psd files (random) that are on the shared drive because it is locked. Disabling the windows preview pane doesn't solve it. No other user is using it. spend some time searching for a solution but no dice so far. I have the user now using process explorer to find the DLL and kill the dll process.
Can't find any permanent solution. Adobe pretty much says: Work Locally then copy to the shared drive.

This seems like a easy to fix problem. maybe i'm just inept at this.

Adobe doesn't support network shares. They are bad at coding.