Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The LGS was charging the equivalent of $40 for a draft, with a grand total of ... 3 packs of prize support (2 packs for 1st, 1 pack for second).

I decided to pass on it and grab singles later instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wurzag posted:

At least you got to manifest off it

:vince:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
One store is doing $40.00 with no prize support listed on the facebook page, but they have always done 8-4 or 8-4-2-2 drafts in the past.

Other store is $35.00 swiss with 4-2-1-1.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One place I know of in Denver is charging $30 for a draft. You don't draft the foils and you keep your picks, no prize packs because the place does rare redrafting normally. I'm so glad I play at a place that doesn't do that and allows you to buy the pack and insert another one if you open the money pack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

You don't draft the foils

What?

So do you just keep the foil like it's the basic land? I guess that makes sense to keep people from dropping after opening an insane pack.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think that's what it's supposed to mean. Take out the roll and keep it like the basic land in most drafts.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's what we do. Completely solves the insane pack value scenario.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

St0rmD posted:

That's going to happen, but he's only 1 right now so I'm waiting till he's old enough to not eat my cards

Then what does your wife think he's going to get out of Disney? You could give him just as much stimuli putting him in a rolly play-chair.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:siren::siren::siren:

:siren:

Dusk (?) - 2ww
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with power greater or equal to 3
Dawn (?) - 3ww
Sorcery
Consequence - Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.
Return all creature cards with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

So, flashback split cards?!?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
beaten.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Holy poo poo, that's a really cool idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

So ugly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I could almost see this being a sideboard card for Death and Taxes. Retribution of the Meek is already a card I've played, and getting to buy back all your dead dudes afterwards is really nice. Of course it costs 4 mana and Meekstone costs 1 so eh.

AlternateNu posted:

Then what does your wife think he's going to get out of Disney? You could give him just as much stimuli putting him in a rolly play-chair.

lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a really cool idea.

Sure is.

And what is up with that collectors number?

Bedovian
Jul 16, 2012
Fun Shoe
It looks like they want you to put it in your graveyard sideways so the flashback part is sticking out from the normal cards?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Sure is.

They probably put the split cards after the normal cards but before the multi-colored or land cards, or something like that.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Bugsy posted:

All the split-flashback cards might be in a separate group?

Efb

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God dammit. About to start fnm. Modern Masters is "too expensive", so we're drafting AER instead. :|

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bedovian posted:

It looks like they want you to put it in your graveyard sideways so the flashback part is sticking out from the normal cards?

If so I can't wait for the inevitable drama with all the people who already do that to signify exile :allears:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bugsy posted:

Sure is.

Yeah different frame, different spot in the ordering. I agree it's ugly as poo poo, worse than meld or split/fuse, though still better than kamigawa flip cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dusk (?) - 2ww
Sorcery
Dawn (?) - 3ww
Sorcery
Return all creature cards with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

I both love and hate this.

It's mostly that hideous split setup they've got going I hate.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Not an emptyquote

They managed to top Kamigawa flip cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

yeah but for the effect they want i'm not sure there's a better way of doing it tbh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah but for the effect they want i'm not sure there's a better way of doing it tbh

Make it part of the regular textbox like flashback/Kozilek's return?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Would it really have been that difficult to just bring Flashback back? Flashback cards that change depending on whether they're being cast or being flashed back already exist.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Make it part of the regular textbox like flashback/Kozilek's return?

they specifically want it to be a different card, flashback is used to cast the same card, like yeah sometimes it's effect is doubled like in the "increasing" cycle, but i think this is better for what they want the cards to do (which appears to be oppositeish effects)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I brought the card up on Tumblr and there's some doubt about it being real.
Also I found out that Amonkhet's official info has the set at 264 cards, despite their own released basic lands saying /269

Is there anything obviously fake about it? 201/269 is suspicious, since Kamigawa's flip cards were normally numbered, and, well, Wizards would probably not want to make the cards look that bad, but Wizards and good decisions are hit and miss.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 18, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Someday every set will have flashback, kicker, and cycling.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I think it looks great, but I also liked those split cards before like Beck//Call and Wear//Tear. It is a cool take on flashback and having the other half do something very different makes it unique enough to not just call it flashback.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Regular split cards are a lot more visually appealing because one of the cards isn't twisted at a 90 degree angle to the other. This one looks like some sort of graphical bug. Like, I literally thought for an instant it might be a MTGO display bug that someone screenshotted.

I like the idea though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

they specifically want it to be a different card, flashback is used to cast the same card, like yeah sometimes it's effect is doubled like in the "increasing" cycle, but i think this is better for what they want the cards to do (which appears to be oppositeish effects)

That's not a good reason, to me. Don't be fancy for fancy's sake, especially if the end result is an eyesore.

The one advantage this has over keeping it in one text box, is it's a bit easier to keep track of.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

On second thought it's mechanically different enough to not be flashback. It changes the name and the CMC and while flashback can increase the power of a card's effect it usually doesn't outright change the entire thing.
Not a fan of the sideways look though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

En Fuego posted:

All the poor magic people need to just realize that, maybe, instead of buying the latest iPhone they could just spend the money on MM17 boxes.

Here's a compromise we can all be happy with: You can drop from a draft, but only after a means test.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Regular split cards are a lot more visually appealing because one of the cards isn't twisted at a 90 degree angle to the other. This one looks like some sort of graphical bug. Like, I literally thought for an instant it might be a MTGO display bug that someone screenshotted.

I like the idea though.

It looks like an Un-set card.

Actually, no, even Curse Of The Fire Penguin looks better, due to not being SIDEWAYS.

Maybe that five colour split card? (Who/What/When/Where/Why)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 18, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I feel like it would look better if they took the split card template and rotated one of the halves 180 degrees, not 90 degrees. Make the border on the graveyard half look different like Miracles and Gods did so it's obvious at a glance which side is which.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I feel like it would look better if they took the split card template and rotated one of the halves 180 degrees, not 90 degrees. Make the border on the graveyard half look different like Miracles and Gods did so it's obvious at a glance which side is which.

First thing I thought of as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

That's not a good reason, to me. Don't be fancy for fancy's sake, especially if the end result is an eyesore.

The one advantage this has over keeping it in one text box, is it's a bit easier to keep track of.

i just think there's value in making it instantly noticeable that the flashback effect is significantly different then the regular effect, which this card does. i def don't think it looks good tho, but saying its fancy for fancy's sake is a bit, idk, misleading to me

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
MM17 draft update: Cracked a Guide and Damnation packs 2 and 3, drafted some weird mix of GW Tokens and UW ETB critters. Somehow took Round 1!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dusk (?) - 2ww
Sorcery
Dawn (?) - 3ww
Sorcery

:eyepop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i just think there's value in making it instantly noticeable that the flashback effect is significantly different then the regular effect, which this card does. i def don't think it looks good tho, but saying its fancy for fancy's sake is a bit, idk, misleading to me

"Don't be fancy for fancy's sake" is the general rule. I admitted it's easier to keep track of. Idk if that's a good enough reason, and as Lottery pointed out, there may have been more visually pleasing ways of achieving that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I asked this before but just in case it got lost cause it was an edit: Could it be fake? At a glance I'm not seeing anything immediately suspicious besides the 201, but it WOULD mean that there'd be a LOT of these (if it is indeed pushing them back, or somesuch), or that something else is going on.
At a guess... Count as multicoloured, so they go after all colours are done, along with the multicoloured and artifacts? No idea on the order or anything, but it could explain it.

• Locked thread