Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be pissed if any car I owned got that treatment, new or old.

Well my Friday night is sitting at the dining table on the works laptop making presentations for douche bag VIPs for Monday, how is everyone else doing?

Doing ok, partaking in a little :420: and giving my xB it's first wash. Holly poo poo the wheels under the covers are disgusting, does nobody wash under the covers once in a while anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Lost the tire battle with the Tracker. They are from 2004 and we thought we'd tried driving up 41 but pretty quickly the tread started separating from the tire, at a Goodyear getting all four tires replaced. The thing is rad otherwise, super small, direct and just a solid great little vehicle. Reminds me a lot of my Acty.

I get that people have a hard time with the power these things have but it's double what my van has so it feels quite peppy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Anybody know if anyone's going to be streaming Sebring tomorrow? Looks like FoxSports1 will be airing it on TV, but no cable.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

edit: responded after leaving the screen static for awhile. helloooo old conversation.

everdave: I can commiserate to a degree. Our new vehicle needed a new fender 6 months in because the Mrs. misjudged a parking area. She at least knew enough to tell me right away, and since it's a van, i was largely able to not lose my cool.

One year later, and the same fender is scraped up again. :sigh:

I feel your pain man!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Anybody know if anyone's going to be streaming Sebring tomorrow? Looks like FoxSports1 will be airing it on TV, but no cable.

Download the FoxSports1 app and you should be able to watch it.....Idk if you gotta be a cable subscriber or not tho.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sorry about the car everdave.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife sent me this picture, of her washing the truck with our little one right after we got it. It also had a fresh pretty decent paint job. A week later I noticed both rear dually fenders were covered in light scratches. Pretty sure it was the same thing that happened to yours. My wife didn't like it any better than yours when I pointed out out, and I wasn't mean about it either.

The culprit

Then a few months later, my wife backed the truck into my tractor loader bucket, in her words "I knew it was there but I couldn't see it so I thought it was good". Nice long scrape, forwards and back on the fiberglass fender. At least it won't rust I guess.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder posted:

You know what's fun? Getting alerts at 1am that your 40kva UPS is overtemp'ing and the output relay shut off.

You know what's more fun?
Alerts weren't setup yet and we didn't find it until the next morning. No fire, but holy poo poo.

I can't even. The contractor we hired to audit our power distribution in the DC mislabeled the circuits. My tech just took half my storage offline...

:psyduck:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

the spyder posted:

I can't even. The contractor we hired to audit our power distribution in the DC mislabeled the circuits. My tech just took half my storage offline...

That'll be a fun mess to sort out / sue the gently caress out of them for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least your possession ruiners are cute kids that can learn from this. My rear end in a top hat cat wrecks poo poo and don't give a gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo you jerks let the guy vent a little

Yeah, this.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah post some pics of the paint, maybe meatpimp can tell you if it's salvageable or not.

Yeah, this.

I've always been paranoid about kids helping wash cars. Hell, I usually still just give my kids a microfiber mitt and let them go on the wheels while I hit the paint... and I have old cars. ANY new car that gets the scratch treatment hurts.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

the spyder posted:

Oh drat. That makes me feel better about the standing Friday afternoon 'meeting' I have with one of our facilities managers. We are redocumenting and programming a building lighting system that was setup by someone who barely knew what they were doing. So far only about a third of the relays make me go :iiam:

**sending prayers for yer datas**

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

At least your possession ruiners are cute kids that can learn from this. My rear end in a top hat cat wrecks poo poo and don't give a gently caress.

and the irony of that is, you can actually get rid of your lovely cat pretty easy

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Pros ride it, they have more power than you, it's not going to break. Unless you're nm.
As I said before, I'm more concerned with durability/wear than outright strength.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tbkRukp

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/8UidOFm

Pic links, not sure how to embed in posting from phone

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's likely going to need touching in and wetsanding, but should be possible to get mostly disappeared to the casual viewer.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

not sure how to embed in posting from phone
From the url you posted, click the image itself, then when it reloads click on the share button at the bottom and you can grab the direct link.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or long-click the image, open image in new tab, copy URL.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slothrop posted:

well I hate to interrupt weather chat, but I've got A SONG RECCOMENDATRON

This particular track has been on rotation in my wider playlist for a month or two now. Initially I never paid it no mind.

I'd be driving along, minding my own business. See the strange thing is, you hear it start, nothing to think about.

Keep driving. Song continues, driving continues.

Somehow, about four and a half minutes later the volume on your car stereo is cranked as loud as it will go without distorting and you have no idea how that happened.

Anywho, enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSfBRdYlXqU

Nice. That is entirely in my wheelhouse.

Biodome posted:

I would be pissed but once I got over it it would be so less stressful to not have to worry about dinging my car anymore because it's already hosed up. Still sucks, though. Sorry.

Maybe you work that way, but I would just get ticked every. time. I. looked. at. it. (imagine clenched teeth.)

everdave posted:

Ouch. A few years old, eh, but 3 weeks? This is why we can't have nice things.

edit: Toundra's other stuff is in the same vein, apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXZ3kZGq3A

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Or long-click the image, open image in new tab, copy URL.

Will edit when the little troublemaker goes to bed

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Tough one. A detailer can get 90% of those out. A wax made for black cars will make the rest of the scratches mostly disappear. It's bad, but the good thing is that "black waxes" are perfect to hide the damage.

Edit: on that note, if you have a medium-colored car that has a nasty white-showing scratch that stands out, a "black wax" will hide the scratch really well. The white just seems to jump out at you, but getting a darker color hides well. I tried that on my beater Avalon that has a number of bad scratches, and it made a really stunning difference.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 18, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Forgot to mention: yesterday, I had a phone interview for a position, since my hot company still seems to want me out for whatever reason (I'm doing Knowledge Transfer with another guy already), and frankly, I'm done with working for an outsourcer or any kind of contracting. That one was the one with the company's recruiter, and seemed fine. Basic stuff, making sure that I was who I said I was, etc. Second technical one was supposed to be today, set up by the recruiter, but the guy never called. I hope it's just a miscommunication, but it really took the wind out of my sails that I delayed lunch, scheduled time to be out of the building (for privacy and to not be doing that poo poo on current company's time/space) and got nothing out of it. I really want out of here. 17 years is enough, and luxury retail is going nowhere. In fact, the host company is about to be sold to yet another investment group (which will probably tell you exactly who it is.)
I'm going to go home and drink while playing Minecraft. It's almost Zen.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Tough one. A detailer can get 90% of those out. A wax made for black cars will make the rest of the scratches mostly disappear. It's bad, but the good thing is that "black waxes" are perfect to hide the damage.

Edit: on that note, if you have a medium-colored car that has a nasty white-showing scratch that stands out, a "black wax" will hide the scratch really well. The white just seems to jump out at you, but getting a darker color hides well. I tried that on my beater Avalon that has a number of bad scratches, and it made a really stunning difference.

Thanks, will do some checking around this coming week. What should be a fair price?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

At first I thought you were being an OCD hysteric over a few light surface scratches, but now I understand why you're an unhappy bunny.

Did the offspring wash the car with a bucket of rocks?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

In this respect, I'm kind of glad for the defective Ford white on my P71, where there are patches of paint just *missing*.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Thanks, will do some checking around this coming week. What should be a fair price?

I'm assuming that the scratches are only on the bottom half (where a 2 year old can reach)? I am not really worried about the dishwashing liquid or even the Scotchbrite pad, but the gravel... yeah, that's bad. I'd say $200 at a detailer would be ballpark. Or, for the same $200 you could buy a Porter Cable orbital buffer, some pads and some product and have a bonding time with your wife... and get some microfiber cloths and let your devil spawn help to wipe off.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

In this respect, I'm kind of glad for the defective Ford white on my P71, where there are patches of paint just *missing*.

Okay I thought I was crazy for this on mine but now that I know it's standard I'll live with it.

Huge swaths just gone.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Everdave, that's a great car regardless of what people think. I bought my Prius C in 2014 as a leftover 2013. It's got ~100k on it now and has probably saved around $10k in fuel vs the Duramax Silverado and F150 I had at the time. It's also the least maintenance intensive car I have ever owned. Yeah, it's not a sports car, but neither is a Mazda 3, Civic, Corolla, etc regardless of what people think.

It's the best choice for an A to B car that I can think of.

Mine is also at the body shop right now. That 3 stage Toyota paint is expensive as hell to fix. Yours should buff to the point no one will notice.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok thats not rough side of the sponge bad, thats washing your car with rocks bad. Im sorry I take back everything I said.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm assuming that the scratches are only on the bottom half (where a 2 year old can reach)? I am not really worried about the dishwashing liquid or even the Scotchbrite pad, but the gravel... yeah, that's bad. I'd say $200 at a detailer would be ballpark. Or, for the same $200 you could buy a Porter Cable orbital buffer, some pads and some product and have a bonding time with your wife... and get some microfiber cloths and let your devil spawn help to wipe off.

Thanks for info! I seriously might try to tackle myself, there is nothing I hate more than paying someone to do something that I could have done myself. About to begin a massive fence building project because I refuse to hire anyone after seeing the "quality" of the $7k fence my friend just had Lowes put up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

KakerMix posted:

Fresh off the heels of getting that Lexus and still looking for a Samurai for my wife I found a 1991 Geo Tracker (aka Suzuki SamuraiSidekick) with 36,000 miles on it with A/C and in phenomenal shape. It's bright yellow, has :krad: graphics on the side even. Heading out to look at it tomorrow, they are asking 5k for it. From what I've looked at for these it seems that people run them ragged and they have some sort of computer fault past 200k, they rust like crazy up north and people complain about the lack of power. Otherwise like the Samurai they are die-hard little trucks. Do I have that right?

36000 miles is insane. Do you know what the story is?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Everdave, that's a great car regardless of what people think. I bought my Prius C in 2014 as a leftover 2013. It's got ~100k on it now and has probably saved around $10k in fuel vs the Duramax Silverado and F150 I had at the time. It's also the least maintenance intensive car I have ever owned. Yeah, it's not a sports car, but neither is a Mazda 3, Civic, Corolla, etc regardless of what people think.

It's the best choice for an A to B car that I can think of.

Mine is also at the body shop right now. That 3 stage Toyota paint is expensive as hell to fix. Yours should buff to the point no one will notice.

I am hardly ever in it as I have it to my wife but every time I drive it I love it. And holy crap mine has the LED headlights, they are amazing. Free maintenance first 2 years (which is a whopping 2 oil changes called for). I got it at a great price too

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

everdave posted:

My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.

Hahaha holy poo poo I feel so bad for you. I don't think I could prevent myself from having a bit of a freak out about something like that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

everdave posted:

Those are nasty but I bet fixable.

As everyone knows, being that it's black it'll be a million times tougher to get rid of all evidence of it but I bet it's possible or at least mostly possible.

My mom closed the garage door when she had the hatch open on her 4 month old dark blue Forester and a metal crossbar on the garage door scratched the gently caress out of her hatch as it came down trying to force the hatch shut. I got 95% of it out with mild rubbing compound and elbow grease. I probably could have gotten 100% but I wanted to leave a small reminder of her shame.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I finally decided to clean the cargo bed on our utility cart, of all the crap that collected on it during our last fencing project. Got unloaded and...why is it still leaning heavily to one side?

Ducked my head under the back and, yeah I don't think the leaf spring should be higher in the middle than the ends. ...Ten minutes and $140 later, heavy duty springs, extended u bolts, and bushings/hardware is on the way from Amazon.

So that's fun, I need more unplanned projects. Probably going to look at this F450 sometime this weekend. Crew cab fully loaded Lariat, which is pretty weird for a 450. 7.3 powerstroke of course.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

scrubs season six posted:

Those are nasty but I bet fixable.

As everyone knows, being that it's black it'll be a million times tougher to get rid of all evidence of it but I bet it's possible or at least mostly possible.

My mom closed the garage door when she had the hatch open on her 4 month old dark blue Forester and a metal crossbar on the garage door scratched the gently caress out of her hatch as it came down trying to force the hatch shut. I got 95% of it out with mild rubbing compound and elbow grease. I probably could have gotten 100% but I wanted to leave a small reminder of her shame.

Thanks for some hope! Even with all the brown/gold metallic in paint?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

I'll email a guy that I'm pretty sure is on a team and get back to you.

Awesome! Thanks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Thanks for some hope! Even with all the brown/gold metallic in paint?

Get a PC buffer, hard pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound and go nuts. You'll be amazed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

scrubs season six posted:

36000 miles is insane. Do you know what the story is?

The story is some old lady retiree bought it new, then in 1995 sold it to Marie, who had it since then. Them being the high-end snowbirds, the kind that live in Florida and then go somewhere else in the summer, meant that they had it parked underneath a closed-in carport and it served as a second car for driving around town. There is this weird inverse of rust where the underside and body is spotless, including the fuel lines, bolts, all that stuff. The inside of the car though has rust hazing on things like the seat rails, the stick shift stalk and the rear view mirror bar. the interior is mint, door cards are perfect and the only age related anything is the top layer of the climate control labels is peeling and coming up from the labels beneath and the stick shift knob is all chewed up from exposure.
In line with that the tires separated from their treads in short order once we hit the highway and as we got into town and on the final streets to home it started having intermittent issues with running, the exact same way that a clogged fuel filter makes a car behave. Considering this is probably the first time it's been at the speeds and for as long as we had it going at I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's clogged, or if the fuel screen on the pump is all gunked up too. Going to dig into it tomorrow and I'll post some pictures in the post your ride thread as well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Get a PC buffer, hard pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound and go nuts. You'll be amazed.
Reasoning on the PC buffer and not a harbor freight chinesium special (I just got a PC air compressor for my fence project)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

InitialDave posted:

As I said before, I'm more concerned with durability/wear than outright strength.

Some of the narrow-wide chainrings I hear wear out a little more quickly but for the most part it's not an issue. 11s cassette is wider so the gears and chains are only slightly thinner than 10 speed.

• Locked thread