Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm actually enjoying it more than the first half of DD2.

That's either high praise, or you're the minority that disliked the Punisher stuff from Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I really don't want to watch the whole thing--which episode has the best/coolest/whatever fight sequence?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

None. The end of episode 12 gives you boss fight and then a mini boss fight. They're all pretty standard kung fu stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
But there are more fights than just the last episode right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

site posted:

There are a bunch of fights, but literally none of them have been interesting by episode four.

The show also has one of those weird DD2 issues where Rand is a martial-arts god one moment and a loving dumbass the next.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

There's a bunch of fights, but none that really stand out let alone one defining great one. Iron Fist is stunningly average. I only mentioned twelve because they just finish one fight and you think the episode is almost over and nope, one more.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

That's either high praise, or you're the minority that disliked the Punisher stuff from Daredevil.

Popping over here from TVIV to get separate opinions and yes, this is the case.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
On episode 6, and it's definitely watchable, but it suffers from a miscast lead, a deeply misguided emphasis on boardroom drama and drug dealing over supernatural/K'un Lun stuff, etc.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think it's a really strong okay. I'm not upset at it. I'm not blown away and I wish it were stronger, but it's not the worst. As in it's not the worst superhero thing. It's definitely the worst of the Netflix stuff (on episode 7), but it also took me 2 goes at Jessica Jones to really appreciate it. I agree with people saying it's even at least. It doesn't make me go WHY like the back half of Luke Cage.

Which on a second viewing right before this came out, I forgave. It's really only Diamondback and all of his scenes that I just can't be entertained by.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

On episode 6, and it's definitely watchable, but it suffers from a miscast lead, a deeply misguided emphasis on boardroom drama and drug dealing over supernatural/K'un Lun stuff, etc.

This is a pretty spot on assessment. I do kind of like it though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
One episode in. Almost any scene involving Danny is CW quality writing, outside of the scenes with the homeless guy I guess. So I guess if you see nothing wrong with the way CW DC shows are written, you'll probably love the poo poo out of this show. The action is ok I suppose, but that is harder to judge in the intro episode.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the fact that they are focusing on Danny trying to get his life back in NYC seems to be bringing it down a lot.

Disclaimer: I've only seen 3 episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The real funny part is those of you who think the other Netflix stuff was better than CW writing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lol yeah Mahershala Ali = CW-caliber content yeah lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Lol yeah Mahershala Ali = CW-caliber content yeah lol

What does he have to do with the writing on Iron Fist?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Read the post directly above his.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Nothing because I'm not gonna watch that anytime soon, if ever? I was responding to Aphrodite's master burn about the other Netflix shows?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh I somehow skipped that. Maybe because of how dumb it was.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:sigh: I wish I had that skill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you want to start breaking down and categorizing bad dialogue into distinct categories have fun with it I guess. A good actor can elevate junk, but that doesn't make it good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nobody's saying that the Marvel Netflix shows feature award winning scripts in any way whatsoever. But there's an ocean of distance between it and the Arrowverse shows. Those are sometimes scraping the literal bottom of the barrel when it comes to dialogue and plotting and repeating the same poo poo over and over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Heh, Marvel stuff? I actually think it's bad. Yeah, I'm pretty cool.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Eight and a half episodes in, I absolutely believe the rumors that Marvel Television had a lot of trouble finding a pitch they were happy with. It seems they eventually just said "gently caress it, we signed a contract with Netflix in 2013 mandating we deliver 13 episodes of Iron Fist by a certain date, we're just gonna throw poo poo at the wall and go with Buck's pitch."

Maybe if they had been more willing to allow IF to be its own thing tonally instead of trying to keep it from diverging too much from the other Netflix Marvel properties, they wouldn't have had quite as much trouble!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Eight and a half episodes in, I absolutely believe the rumors that Marvel Television had a lot of trouble finding a pitch they were happy with. It seems they eventually just said "gently caress it, we signed a contract with Netflix in 2013 mandating we deliver 13 episodes of Iron Fist by a certain date, we're just gonna throw poo poo at the wall and go with Buck's pitch."

Maybe if they had been more willing to allow IF to be its own thing tonally instead of trying to keep it from diverging too much from the other Netflix Marvel properties, they wouldn't have had quite as much trouble!

That is unfortunate. As someone who has never read an Iron Fist book, does he really not have any iconic story lines to be adapted? Or are his iconic stories just too out there for a Netflix show (magic dragons etc.) ? I mean, for the amount of comics I have read in my life, he has always seemed like this weird background character to me. I mean I have read just as much Moon Knight in my life, but know way more about him, and have seen him come up in discussions of characters and such in numerous places. Iron Fist has been in a game I enjoyed (MvC3) and a cartoon that I actually watched (Ultimate Spider-Man) and I still feel completely indifferent to him and no one really talks about him outside of discussing his relationship with Luke Cage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

That is unfortunate. As someone who has never read an Iron Fist book, does he really not have any iconic story lines to be adapted? Or are his iconic stories just too out there for a Netflix show (magic dragons etc.) ? I mean, for the amount of comics I have read in my life, he has always seemed like this weird background character to me. I mean I have read just as much Moon Knight in my life, but know way more about him, and have seen him come up in discussions of characters and such in numerous places. Iron Fist has been in a game I enjoyed (MvC3) and a cartoon that I actually watched (Ultimate Spider-Man) and I still feel completely indifferent to him and no one really talks about him outside of discussing his relationship with Luke Cage.

The best Iron Fist is either Pulpy magic seven mystic kingdoms stuff, or buddy stuff with Luke Cage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToastyPotato posted:

My impression is that Iron Fist's most iconic stories make him a Mortal Kombat character, and that's not something Marvel's TV division seems to want to add to this street-level NYC shared setting.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

First 2 epi of iron fist is far and away the best Netflix Marvel that exists. I doubt it holds up for 13 drat episodes

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Also extremely amused to see Faramir in the mix

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Episode 2 is definitely an improvement over the first.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cythereal posted:

My impression is that Iron Fist's most iconic stories make him a Mortal Kombat character, and that's not something Marvel's TV division seems to want to add to this street-level NYC shared setting.

Honestly, with the flashbacks, it wouldn't be hard to do Immortal Iron Fist, it just would be closer to the MCU movies than the Netflix stuff. It'd basically be Dr Strange meets Captain America 1.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

As much as I'm really hoping for Heroes for Hire, and maybe some of Colter's charisma rubbing off on Jones, the way people are rating IF kinda throws some doubt into that.

Hopefully Defenders makes better use of Jones.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Scyantific posted:

As much as I'm really hoping for Heroes for Hire, and maybe some of Colter's charisma rubbing off on Jones, the way people are rating IF kinda throws some doubt into that.

Hopefully Defenders makes better use of Jones.

FWIW, i think iron fist has the strongest opening episodes, by far. Netflix marvel is generally pretty slow and fairly boring, but so far, Jones has sold it to me. I don't understand the complaints

also faramir

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ToastyPotato posted:

As someone who has never read an Iron Fist book, does he really not have any iconic story lines to be adapted?

The Immortal Weapons would be a completely loving ridiculous storyline to adapt, but it would take like 3 times the budget they have to work with and you'd need people that can actually fight and act to sell it. And it's not something you can really do as the first story. If you aren't invested in K'un Lun before the other Seven Capital Cities of Heaven are introduced, who cares? You can't just jump straight to "Hi this is Danny, and this is the Prince of Orphans, and this is Fat Cobra, and the Tiger's Beautiful Daughter" and so forth. One of the characters is also the previous Iron Fist's daughter, and you probably don't want to introduce that guy too quick because he's basically Danny but a pulp 30s action hero that figured out how to use his magic glowing kung fu powers on guns. Which is sort of an amusing way to counter the "White guy masters kung fu better than the Asians can" thing, insomuch as he's not even as good as the last white guy to do it.

So yeah, it's tricky to get to the good bits of Iron Fist, and it's impossible if the main character isn't a badass that is constantly kung fu'ing the poo poo out of things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blue Raider posted:

FWIW, i think iron fist has the strongest opening episodes, by far. Netflix marvel is generally pretty slow and fairly boring, but so far, Jones has sold it to me. I don't understand the complaints

also faramir

Yeah I am digging the hell out of it so far, Rand is a pretty compelling character re: what some dude either above or in the other thread said - how he is basically half 12 year old who doesn't understand how city life works 15 years later and half wise martial artist dude.

Then again I don't mind the CW dialogue that is so bad people i guess feel the need to dunk on it when discussing totally unrelated shows?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finished the first three episodes of Iron Fist, and I am digging it. It is probably the weakest of the series so far, but that's still pretty good. And I saw it several times in trailers, but I was still hyped when he punched that door. Although, much like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Iron Fist (and really my Daredevil knowledge is his appearance in The Punisher, namely that bit that got adapted in DD season 2).

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I really like Ward's character, he's been really interesting so far into episode 8.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The show improves immensely after the first episode, which seemed the sloppiest. There was a pretty big fight in in the first third of the episodes, in a hallway even, but it definitely was not as good as the other big fights we've seen so far on the other shows though. Shame, as that is definitely a scene where fight choreography could have shined. After four episodes though, I don't think the show is unwatchably bad or anything.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Episode 8: Drunken brawler fight was hilarious.

The back half of this show has been significantly better than the front, which I still thought was solid. This is like a reverse marvel Netflix show.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 18, 2017

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

Heh, Marvel stuff? I actually think it's bad. Yeah, I'm pretty cool.

Pretty much every Aphrodite and Charlesthehammer post ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I think the most annoying part of this is there's so many fights that basically try and gear themselves up as a competitor to a hallway fight or a prison fight or similar and they just never live up to it. The only two that so far (through 11) come close to me are the drunken master fight or the double steel cage and even both of those fail to really live up to being legendary. Colleen has most of the best fights but nothing about this ever feels epic.

It's still very watchable and the second half is much more interesting than the first. Once the corporate poo poo starts to take a larger back seat, it gets a lot better. I still rate it below the other three but it's definitely nowhere near epic bad level that was feared.