Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OwlFancier posted:

Why do evangelizing zealots make friends with other evangelizing zealots?

I don't recall the crusades being Christendom and Islam teaming up with India to go beat up all the atheists. But apparently my galaxy is chock full of murder-crazy lunatics who get along just fine with each other and keep circlejerking each other with NAPs, defensive pacts, and federation associations while me and my one not-complete-rear end in a top hat-but-completely-crap-at-expanding buddy on the outer western arm are sitting here watching them murder the entire rest of the galaxy because the two biggest ones are cockblocking us by having a defensive pact with each other and being situated right on the northern and southern quadrants of the galaxy.

Prolly because, to quote Discworld, "White and Black got along just fine, so long as they got to gang up on Green." i.e. a higher call of prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

JuniperCake posted:

During the crusades, one faction of Christendom and another faction of Islam would often join forces to fight a different faction of Christendom joined with another faction of Islam. Hell one of the crusades was just crusaders from mainland europe ransacking Constantinople which was another Christian city. You'd be surprised how far, the whole enemy of my enemy thing gets you as far as unlikely allies go. It wouldn't be that hard to imagine that the spiritualistic folks of a planet might join together to defend against weird aliens that they feel threaten their way of life.

that's not what he's talking about though, it's that evangelising zealots specifically like other evangelising zealots more than they like other people, despite their presumably different religions

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

that's not what he's talking about though, it's that evangelising zealots specifically like other evangelising zealots more than they like other people, despite their presumably different religions

"They might believe the wrong thing, but at least they believe!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't matter actually because I researched sentient AI just to troll the gently caress out of all the spiritualists in the galaxy and it turns out that my building a hyper materialist intelligent natural engineer society with a homeworld covered in research centers on a 25 tile planet means I can build pretty drat good spaceships. And I poured enough research agreements into my buddy to make them at least able to field 20k or so fleet power.

Annexed the remaining bits of a small empire that was in between me and my ally and unified our arm, pushed out through the hyperlane gate they were sitting on into the middle of the galaxy and started smashing heads of the nearest dickhead empire in the south, liberated three of their planets hoping to make a new federation buddy to feed the dickhead empire to...

My buddy doesn't like the new state because they share my ethics and won't vote for them to join... I forgot that the reason my buddy likes me is because I gave them some free poo poo because they were the only people I found that weren't -150 with me to start with...

I might scream.

Though on the plus side the northern dickhead empire happened to be sitting right next to a dormant fallen empire.

The empire just woke up, they're crazy religious lunatics too, and their only way out is right through the middle of the imperium of man.

:getin:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Friends don't let friends live under the wrong ethos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a way I can change theirs without invading them? I could win easily but it's a pain in the arse.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you get allied fleets from sectors? Not seen any yet, but my sectors are kinda puny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They still contribute to your fleet cap don't they? I don't imagine they would give allied fleets, though they do make their own constructors and I've seen them occasionally build military stations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

They still contribute to your fleet cap don't they? I don't imagine they would give allied fleets, though they do make their own constructors and I've seen them occasionally build military stations.

Ah, okay, even better.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Splicer posted:

Once I saw this scientist by a black hole about to talk to The Worm. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "The Shroud loves you. Do you believe in The Shroud?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Spiritualist or a Fanatic Spiritualist?" He said, "A Fanatic Spiritualist." I said, "Me, too! Xenophobe or Militarist?" He said, "Militarist." I said, "Me, too! What government?" He said, "Dictatorship." I said, "Me, too! Divine Mandate or Military Dictatorship?" He said, "Divine Mandate." I said, "Me, too!"

"Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons, or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Kinetic Weapons?" He said, "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons." I said, "Me, too! Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Warp or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes?" He said, "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes." I said, "Me, too! Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes with Deviant, or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes without Deviant?" He said "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes without Deviant." I said, "Die, xeno scum!" And I purged him.

This is good

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GotLag posted:

"They might believe the wrong thing, but at least they believe!"

This is how I've always interpreted it.

"Say what you will about the tenets of fanatic collectivism, Dude, at least it's an ethos."

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Once I saw this scientist by a black hole about to talk to The Worm. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "The Shroud loves you. Do you believe in The Shroud?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Spiritualist or a Fanatic Spiritualist?" He said, "A Fanatic Spiritualist." I said, "Me, too! Xenophobe or Militarist?" He said, "Militarist." I said, "Me, too! What government?" He said, "Dictatorship." I said, "Me, too! Divine Mandate or Military Dictatorship?" He said, "Divine Mandate." I said, "Me, too!"

"Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons, or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Kinetic Weapons?" He said, "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons." I said, "Me, too! Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Warp or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes?" He said, "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes." I said, "Me, too! Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes with Deviant, or Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes without Deviant?" He said "Fanatic Spiritualist Militaristic Divine Mandate with Energy Weapons and Hyperlanes without Deviant." I said, "Die, xeno scum!" And I purged him.

I am glad my lovely post begat this good one. Maybe there really is hope for all we spiritualists out there

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Dongattack posted:

Do you get allied fleets from sectors? Not seen any yet, but my sectors are kinda puny.

You can actually still tell spacedocks in sectors to build ships afaik, unless something changed recently or will change in the update.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
ORIGINAL MOD DO NOT STEAL

Stellar Energy, uploaded by ShadowDragon8685

quote:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: A thief has stolen this mod and uploaded a version with the serial numbers filed off. Don't support mod theft. More at the bottom.

MOD THEFT
A Steam user has stolen this mod and uploaded it with an aped logo, using the name of this mod with ": Balanced" concatenated at the end, and changed some numbers. I have NOT given permission for him to do this, nor have I recieved collaborator credit on his mod (which I do not wish.) He did not recieve permission to modify my mod, to use my name, or to ape my logo.

Don't subscribe to his mod. Don't subscribe to mod theft. If you want a mod that's "like Stellar Energy, but with smaller numbers," subscribe to docflamingo's Resources Redux instead. His work is original, and quite good.

Choice comments:

quote:

Dark 14 Feb @ 6:51am
Shadow? Are you ever going to get this mod updated to work wit hthe current 1.4 version of the game?

Dark 14 Feb @ 6:52am
If you dont want to update it , then please tell me how I can.

ShadowDragon8685 [author] 14 Feb @ 10:51pm
It should already be compatible, just with an annoying warning.

Remember: Stellaris WILL load out-of-date mods. Try it and if something is actually broken, I will fix it, but right now I'm tired as a dog, and launching an ambitious new modding project.

Dark 15 Feb @ 1:37am
If you dont want to continue fixing this mod, can you send me the assets and tell me how you did them? Ill take it over and keep it updated for you.

ShadowDragon8685 [author] 15 Feb @ 10:07am
Dark: I have made my opinion on allowing others to take over Stellar Energy abundantly clear. This time there will be no hesitation, no dithering about asking PDX for remedy, no polite requests that get met with "but mods are open source!"
It will be DCMA takedown notices filed directly with Steam.

Have you actually tried to load Stellaris with Stellar Energy and generate a new map, or not? If there is something actually breaking with it, then I will fix it.

So I looked up the STOLEN MOD:
Stellar Balance, uploaded by Neceros

quote:

This is an adaptation and rebalancing of Stellar Energy. My version is balanced to work with the Stellaris base game, and has gone through numerous changes since then.

Page 5 of the comments:

quote:

ShadowDragon8685 22 Jun, 2016 @ 12:59am
Ne, please take this down. You have not made your own mod, you've literally ripped off my mod, repackaged it with my comments still in the bloody files, just having slapped your own numbers into it.

Neceros [author] 22 Jun, 2016 @ 4:42am
I will not be taking this down, @shadowdragon8685. You specifically stated that you would never be altering the file or making a lighter version. You then said "Make your own", and so I did.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Mod drama is my favorite, but this is small potatoes compared to the joy of Minecraft modding, or Kerbal modding. Needs more meltdown, failed "Digital Century Modding Act" takedown notices and such.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

Hidden Gunman 10 Sep, 2016 @ 8:04am
@ author - Never consider a mod theft issue frivolous or petty. Valve has to follow the legal path, which is a pain in the tail for everyone involved, but that is because mod theft is actually theft of intellectual property, and is no different than pirating a movie or the works of Shakespeare. My view, screw the mod thieves and let them have a federal felony tacked onto them...every time they go on an overseas trip they'll have customs officials giving them body cavity searches. Great mod, too

Won't somebody think of poor Shakespeare's starving children?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

Won't somebody think of poor Shakespeare's starving children?

Wouldn't be complete without wishing a brisk anal fisting on an internet stranger.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder who he thinks owns the works of Shakespeare.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Splicer posted:

Gonna do a Fanatic Purifier run with a race of Emo Philipses

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's actually tragic that there are probably people out there who don't understand the concept of public domain and who can't understand that a thing can exist without someone at least claiming to have sole ownership of it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

an earther cannot look upon a thing but wonder - who does it belong to?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
FU all. When I put out my mod, I will sue all the plebeians who commit digital theft upon it and do not recognize its Shakespearian contribution to human art!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GotLag posted:

ORIGINAL MOD DO NOT STEAL

Stellar Energy, uploaded by ShadowDragon8685

Choice comments:

So I looked up the STOLEN MOD:
Stellar Balance, uploaded by Neceros

Page 5 of the comments:

Hahaha, I remember this dude, he used to sperg up Poptarts Ninja's Battletech thread and ended up having a fit and leaving after some people internet-yelled at him about it.

Somehow I am not at all surprised by his steam avatar.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 18, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Strategic Tea posted:

an earther cannot look upon a thing but wonder - who does it belong to?

I can hear the accent even through text

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hahaha, I remember this dude, he used to sperg up Poptarts Ninja's Battletech thread and ended up having a fit and leaving after some people internet-yelled at him about it.

Somehow I am not at all surprised by his steam avatar.

Fuckin hell I had to play with that jerk

He's a massive whiny pisslord who gets mad as hell if the world doesn't revolve around him, as you can probably tell.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
GON linked me to this and boy, shadowdragon is a loving weirdo. Whiny pisslord about sums him up, he even went so far as to report people in the battletech thread for somehow being a conspiracy against him because his preferred scenario wasn't winning a vote.

God, what a tremendous douchenozzle he is.

Edit: Just so people can see how disgusted we all were by him https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=171926

Keru fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 18, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Well he once bought a book written by Shakespeare so obviously all the rights now belong to him

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
How long does it take for the "Population Purges" unhappiness to wear off? A load of mutants massacred and purged my colonists and now everyone in my empire things I killed them.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Makin' robits

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

Makin' robits

goddamn you're good at that

wanna hug that bot

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dog Kisser posted:

Makin' robits

this is great

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

Makin' robits

:iia:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, someone should have asked Wiz during the AMA about why Dog Kisser isn't doing a bot DLC.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Dog Kisser posted:

Makin' robits

You are cool and good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

did you set out to make 'a beholder, but a robot and also somehow cute' or is that just fun happenstance

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, someone should have asked Wiz during the AMA about why Dog Kisser isn't doing a bot DLC.

I mean, isn't it because he's repurposing assets from other stuff in weird ways to make these models, iirc?

Not that that's bad, but potentially problematic for seelling stuff.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Thanks for the comments, glad y'all like it.

Brother Entropy posted:

did you set out to make 'a beholder, but a robot and also somehow cute' or is that just fun happenstance

The latter! I started with the Prethoryn Swarm portrait and bolted on crazy poo poo until it began to look like a thing! They already look pretty beholder-y though, so that kinda came through.

Also I use only vanilla assets or stock, royalty free stuff, with very little of it hand drawn.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Great work - and yeah it does kind of look like a Synth Prethoryn now that you mention it!

Its good to see more portrait artists at it, especially now that Silfae (another talented portrait maker) seems to unfortunately be listening more and more to the furries who keep egging him on to make more female mammalian/creepy space tween portraits.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

This works pretty well but can't do anything about the fact that I apparently need to have colonized a planet to do anything with them, which is cool because the pre-sentients I found are on an arid world and so are perfect for colonizing all the arid worlds I can't colonize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

This works pretty well but can't do anything about the fact that I apparently need to have colonized a planet to do anything with them, which is cool because the pre-sentients I found are on an arid world and so are perfect for colonizing all the arid worlds I can't colonize.

send in a robot?

• Locked thread