Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

None of those are apps, they're all desktop programs or components.

Desktop apps are still 'Apps' and are even labelled that way in system settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

dont be mean to me posted:

What are you running that needs to be elevated and that you also want to drag documents into?

Typically devenv, cmd and notepad++.

I suppose I could run explorer elevated but if I'm going to elevate half the exes on my computer then I might as well just turn off UAC anyway.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hoo boy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dissss posted:

Desktop apps are still 'Apps' and are even labelled that way in system settings.
It's just a terminology thing. According to Microsoft there are UWP Apps (Previously 'Modern Apps') and Desktop Apps. Most other people when they say "apps" mean UWP Apps and use other terminology dating back further than Windows 8 to refer to anything else. After a while people will get used to calling both "apps" even though they work differently and occupy two different environs and then Microsoft will change their internal terminology again to be "Apps" and "Apps for Business".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

Typically devenv, cmd and notepad++.

I suppose I could run explorer elevated but if I'm going to elevate half the exes on my computer then I might as well just turn off UAC anyway.

Why were you running notepad++ in elevated mode to begin with?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So after trying out almost 50 radio apps (seriously, goddamn are there a lot of lovely apps) I finally found one which had the esoteric functions of sound slider and a decent search function - Audials Radio.

Thanks to everyone who helped, and a special thanks to Astral who explained why I had to go on this journey of discovery in the first place.

And a very special thanks to everyone who recommended Sound Trumpet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick question; I'm going to use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a USB bootable installer for Win10 since I'm building a new PC. How up to date will the version of Win10 be that is created by the tool? The newest including up to the latest patches, from the last anniversary update, or release day vanilla Win10?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quick question; I'm going to use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a USB bootable installer for Win10 since I'm building a new PC. How up to date will the version of Win10 be that is created by the tool? The newest including up to the latest patches, from the last anniversary update, or release day vanilla Win10?

It should be the Anniversary Update.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah as long as it's not an older version of the media creation tool it will download the Win 10 anniversary update version (I think, may not matter how old your copy of the tool is).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just downloaded a fresh copy of the tool yesterday. It will download build 14393.596 or something like that. It'll tell you the exact build number in the properties of the installer.

That build is the Anniversary Update (also known as 1607, as in 2016 July) with updates until about January 2017. So you'll only have a few Windows Updates to grab really, outside of drivers.

As someone who installs Windows from scratch for friends and family, colleagues etc. it’s a life saver. Back in the Windows XP/Vista/7 days you could spend an entire day just installing updates.

The Creators Update should be available in the next few weeks, which is version 1703. When do you plan to build?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Creators Update should be available in the next few weeks, which is version 1703. When do you plan to build?

Probably in a few weeks. I'm actually just heading out in a few minutes to pick up all the parts, but it'll be on hold until I can get my hands on a non-FE/Turbo 1080 TI video card.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

fishmech posted:

Why were you running notepad++ in elevated mode to begin with?

So he can edit %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts of course.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Probably in a few weeks. I'm actually just heading out in a few minutes to pick up all the parts, but it'll be on hold until I can get my hands on a non-FE/Turbo 1080 TI video card.

I mean, if you can, it may be worth it to just wait until Creators gets an iso and save yourself a possible upgrade headache.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Ruined weekend plans due to my mom's frozen Windows 7 PC has got me hoppin' mad. How can I idiot proof Windows such that, when the undeniable allure of a Breitbart article claims her pointer finger, I can reasonably guarantee that she won't pick up some piece of bullshit ad/malware that forces me to skip Disney Land for a day of fighting with a 10+ year old PC? Are Chrome + Adblocker my best bet?

At least now I'll be able to force them to upgrade to Windows 8.1 :suicide:. I wanted them both on 10 but they fought me on upgrading their PCs for so long that their all-in-ones (that they somehow ended up consolidating on) are now stuck on Windows 8.1 unless I pay to upgrade them :smith:.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

IAmKale posted:

Ruined weekend plans due to my mom's frozen Windows 7 PC has got me hoppin' mad. How can I idiot proof Windows such that, when the undeniable allure of a Breitbart article claims her pointer finger, I can reasonably guarantee that she won't pick up some piece of bullshit ad/malware that forces me to skip Disney Land for a day of fighting with a 10+ year old PC? Are Chrome + Adblocker my best bet?

Yeah, Firefox or Chrome with uBlock Origin installed and subscribed to basically all the filter lists. Also install one of those host file replacements meant to block ads and malware servers, like the one from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm to help protect them even if they end up turning ublock off or using a different browser.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Yeah, Firefox or Chrome with uBlock Origin installed and subscribed to basically all the filter lists. Also install one of those host file replacements meant to block ads and malware servers, like the one from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm to help protect them even if they end up turning ublock off or using a different browser.
Oh, that reminds me, I have a spare RPi 2. I wonder if I should also set them up with that running Pihole in addition to Chrome + Adblock...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

IAmKale posted:

Oh, that reminds me, I have a spare RPi 2. I wonder if I should also set them up with that running Pihole in addition to Chrome + Adblock...

No, that pi will go down and you will be sad. Let one box do the work.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

IAmKale posted:

At least now I'll be able to force them to upgrade to Windows 8.1 :suicide:. I wanted them both on 10 but they fought me on upgrading their PCs for so long that their all-in-ones (that they somehow ended up consolidating on) are now stuck on Windows 8.1 unless I pay to upgrade them :smith:.
1. Make their user account a standart user and not administrator.
2. Use windows accesiblity upgrade. It's free and legal. If you want to be extra sure launch magnifier once.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

IAmKale posted:

The answer is always a browser with a decent adblocker. It's basically the main vector of infection for most users these days. People aren't using email so much, or downloading pirated software, but they will still click on flashy junk. Hell, even the first results in Google at one point were virus laden ads. That one is particularly nasty, because people trust Google, and want to click on the first relevant result. Windows 7 itself isn't a problem, so that upgrade isn't going to help you. Windows 7 still receives security updates until January 2020.

Also, the free upgrade to Windows 10 still works, according to many in this thread. You just try the drat thing.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 18, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's funny to me that people still aren't using ad blockers by default.

Hell, the company I work for (who purchases a lot of online advertising) is currently weighing the ethics of installing ad blocking as part of the default images.

I don't understand how anyone still runs without on their personal computer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hell, the company I work for (who purchases a lot of online advertising) is currently weighing the ethics of installing ad blocking as part of the default images.

Same goes for browsers on mobile. I'm trying to get everyone I know onto Opera, Firefox with uBlock Origin, or Brave. Some mobile sites are unusable in their natural state.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

MikusR posted:

1. Make their user account a standard user and not administrator.

This is basically the answer. Also, don't give her the administrator password. I did the same thing for my parents and their computer has successfully remained completely unfucked for years.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Another Windows 10 thing to keep an eye out for is the Applicaiton Guard feature that's getting added to Edge.

For your average person, Edge isn't a bad browser, and you can still ad block, but for the non-tech savvy user the app-guard will be a life saver. Basically, Edge runs in its own virtual environment far far away from Windows processes.

I think its only on Enterprise test builds at the moment. My google-fu can't confirm if this'll be a home user feature in the Creator's Update (or ever?) but Microsoft would be stupid not to add it as its another way to save the non-savvy user from themselves.

Otherwise, yeah, non-admin account, ublock (block ads) and ghostery (block ad tracking scripts to make the internet faster), no java, no flash with either Chrome or Firefox.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't know either, because everyone I've introduced ad-blocking and script blocking then marvel at "how fast the internet is now!"

Its a weird catch 22. Sites want to get paid, but they can't guarantee that:
1. The ads aren't invasive
2. They won't be riddled with malware

Wasn't it Forbes that wrote a big whiny article about disabling adblock right around when iOS got blockers, and if you turned off your blocker, a malware infected ad hit your machine? Irony.

The last saving grace for ad-supported content is most mobile users aren't aware that they can ad-block and mobile is how alot of people access the web now. :shrug:

/end ad-chat

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 18, 2017

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Trying to add uBlock to Edge:

When following a direct link:

#justmicrosoftthings

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Preview apps aren't listed in Store search.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Why does an ad blocker have an ESRB rating?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A good poster posted:

Why does an ad blocker have an ESRB rating?

Because it's either that or you don't get to be on the Store anymore.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Build 15061 has been released to the Fast track. It's basically Release Candidate 3 but the desktop watermark is back, so there will likely be at least one more build that removes it and includes a few bug fixes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Build 15061 has been released to the Fast track. It's basically Release Candidate 3 but the desktop watermark is back, so there will likely be at least one more build that removes it and includes a few bug fixes.

do you know if anything has been done to keep desktop icon spacing when changing resolutions?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I've got a computer upgrade in the family where I'd ideally swap the hard drive from the old machine to the new and it'll just work, maybe with a bit of safe mode driver updating. Old computer has Win 10 upgraded from a retail Win 7 install

Far as I can tell, you need to link the installation to a Microsoft account so it can be reactivated on the new computer, right? But doing that means you have to enter that password or a PIN every time you want to log on. That's bad because they're just used to clicking profile and getting straight in.

So do local accounts work exactly the same as it does now, except without Store/Cortana/Cloud access or whatever? If I connect it to my MS account, will they ever need my password? Can you have multiple Windows licenses connected to one account, and maybe transfer one to a different account if you don't want to deal with it anymore?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I just want to get them on this faster machine without a bunch of things changing, and some of these decisions look permanent/a long-term pain in the rear end if you get it wrong

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You should be able to have multiple digital licenses on a single MS account, but I'm not at all sure how the activation/license moving handles it.

On the other hand, setting up a local user to log in as an MS account is not a one-way street, you can convert back to a local-only account: Settings > Accounts > Your info > There is a link "Sign in with a local account instead" if you're logged on with an MS-account linked user.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baka kaba posted:

Far as I can tell, you need to link the installation to a Microsoft account so it can be reactivated on the new computer, right? But doing that means you have to enter that password or a PIN every time you want to log on. That's bad because they're just used to clicking profile and getting straight in.

You don't need to log on with a pin or password. You can make the computer auto-login on boot or waking from sleep just like older versions with local-only accounts.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Just upgraded a Vista Home Basic (shudder) installation on a 2009 Dell laptop to Windows 8.1 Pro, then to Windows 10 Pro. It activated without issue.

Before installing Windows 10 I quickly started up the screen magnifier for a few seconds but otherwise I did nothing; this laptop wasn't even eligible for the free upgrade originally since it was running Vista. I'm glad they've quietly kept the upgrade path open from Windows 7 and 8.1.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thanks gang, I think I'll yolo it and hope it all works out. It's probably fine if it ends up stuck on my account, if all the logins can be set to passwordless local accounts

So is the idea that it's like a Google account, you have to sign in but it gives you all the cloud-enabled stuff if you do? I guess that makes sense in a 'not how Windows used to work' way

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

do you know if anything has been done to keep desktop icon spacing when changing resolutions?

Seems to retain the spacing, but I just tested with 2 icons on the desktop.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Actually you can download and update Store apps without an account. I wouldn't do it with paid apps without an account (no permanent record) but even those might work.

The typical means of transferring a license requires you to have logged into your account on both systems (you can link up a local account with a Microsoft account later). That said, if you can get a properly-activated 7 or 8.1 on the new system and can do a disc or accessibility upgrade to 10 it'll be activated to the new system's hardware configuration no matter what hard drive or account (if any) is running it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never even opened the store since I got 10 because I am deathly afraid of it and what it means for the future. Is my computer a loving iphone now? If I want a program I'll download it off a website as an exe thank you very much mr gates

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can open the store to at least update the apps that are built in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never even opened the store since I got 10 because I am deathly afraid of it and what it means for the future. Is my computer a loving iphone now? If I want a program I'll download it off a website as an exe thank you very much mr gates

It's just downloading programs from a website like you've done for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
nevermind

meltdown premature

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 21, 2017