Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Defiance Industries posted:

I haven't even done a proper genocide yet, are we sure we're playing a Nier sequel?

I don't think there are any elves in the robot future. Are we sure this is even a yoko taro game?

Anyway, I think I just finished the tutorial? That was pretty rad but my game drops frames pretty hard during the cutscenes with fog effects. The gameplay is 100% fine though, anyone else get that or is it just me? Did not expect devastator though. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

After thinking on it for about a week or so now, I honestly think Automata is in my top ten games period at this point. But I just feel like writing something up to sort of organize my thoughts.

(Stuff in spoiler tags is gonna be all over the place, so just assume anything spoilered is endgame stuff because tagging each one individually for its route would be a chore.)

Strangely enough I didn't like the demo all that much, and felt similarly about the actual opening, but after that, everything just clicked for me. I think maybe the fun little setup scene and usage of color in the Bunker solidified that for me, and I liked running around the open world a lot after that. I totally loved the sidequests through and through, and now that I've gotten the full scope of it, I kinda want to go back and redo them all to see if there's some subtleties I missed. I do remember the little introduction of Executor units and I loved that sidequest at the time, I never thought it would come back like it did. :allears:

2B's combat style was about as expected as it could've been, even if I can't say I'm a huge fan of her style but it's also not trying to be super stylish action combos so I guess I can't really slight it for not being something it's not trying to be. Strangely enough, I like 9S's style more, ranged melee isn't something I see a lot in this type of game and I like it a lot, mainly played him with spears and greatswords. His greatsword sidedash spin attack and boomerang were too fun for me not to use, even though spears were probably the objectively better choice overall. A2 I liked a lot more than 2B just for berserker mode, especially once I loaded her up on damage dealt to HP chips and just could go completely bonkers at all times and not lose berserk. :black101:

I'm super happy they went in as hard as they did with the shmup aspects of the game, I loved it in Nier and I could not be happier that they went whole hog in it with the flight unit and hacking minigame. I do kind of wish that hacking/flight unit stuff was a bit harder and circle strafing/sword slashes/dodging didn't break them but again, I can't really slight it for the minigame not being catered to someone like me who plays a lot of shmups. I do love the classic shmup references they peppered throughout though, put a smile on my face every time it happened.

Plotwise I was engaged from the start, but holy poo poo once 9S found out the truth behind YorHa everything just kept getting crazier and crazier, and I pretty much just freaked out in the cut back to gameplay during the credits because I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, and it only got worse for post credits teaser for the goddamn second half of the game. That's like one of my absolute favorite sorts of things in general and I'm so glad it went as far as it did with it. And of course everything after that was a rollercoaster of twists and turns leading up to easily one of my favorite endings I can think of. Even more so when my personal life has been so hosed up lately, it really touched me. Like tears of happiness and a big dumb smile the whole time sort of thing. Enough that I'm using it as a motivational tool. It took a game I loved and just elevated it to another level.

For problems, I can't say I'm a particular fan of the map system, I think it's a little stiff, and I really wish there were a bit more to the chips than just slap on bigger numbers for cheaper costs, unless I missed something major, but I kind of wish there were like chip combinations like La-Mulana or something like if you put two chips next to each other you'd get a bonus or a new ability or something. Maybe chip fusion in a manner that wasn't 'make a bigger number'. Though again, I may have missed something big in which case I'm gonna have to go back.

Probably would've been perfect for me if rather than just filling a gauge it let you play inventory tetris with it and you bought more slots to stick stuff in and chip fusion allowed you to level up something but you had to choose where you added another block or two to it and you had to plan out your loadout, but I'm weird and love that sort of thing so what I like should probably not be representative of something that actually would've been good for the final game.

I also wish that Adam and Eve got more chances to ham it up because holy poo poo they were great. Though completely unhinged 9S just going psycho now and again was also great, but I would've loved it if they he kind of maintained a higher level of crazy. Just make him full on YoungNier/Caim crazy, and it'd be perfect.

And jesus christ this got longer than I thought. I went from liking the game at the start to loving it and ending up with it being a top tier game for me. I definitely don't see a lot of the criticism, and I'm kind of sad that I'm finished with it now but oh well.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Nuebot posted:

I want them all on steam.

EDIT: Game doesn't detect my PS4 gamepad. That sucks.

Try fiddling with Steam Big Picture. Apparently Steam supports the PS4 controller, just not Nier itself.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Still not touching those black bars, but I was hoping the thread could point me in the right direction of that pod lost in the desert because I've been all over the place looking for it, and I've got no clue. I found the oil lake, the oasis, the sealed door with the apologetic robot, completed the lost child, missing resistance member and Jean-Paul sidequests and still, nothing. Zip. Nada. Is it located in one of the sections blocked off by the sandstorms?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rangpur posted:

Still not touching those black bars, but I was hoping the thread could point me in the right direction of that pod lost in the desert because I've been all over the place looking for it, and I've got no clue. I found the oil lake, the oasis, the sealed door with the apologetic robot, completed the lost child, missing resistance member and Jean-Paul sidequests and still, nothing. Zip. Nada. Is it located in one of the sections blocked off by the sandstorms?

I found it relatively near the entrance of the big desert area expanse. The one that counts with the sandstorm oasis and the lost child. Come in from the main entrance, ahead and to the left on one of the hilly dunes. Not sure if it's randomised.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's a marked quest halfway through Route A. I don't think you can miss it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My download finally finished, and i'm not going back through the thread due to fear of spoilers. When i set to 1080p fullscreen, the display is squashed horizontally and i got black bars to the left and right. If i play windowed, it displays correctly though.

Any way to fix that yet?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
2B and 9S are streaming on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

sean10mm posted:

Does the game play well with keyboard + mouse or are you screwed without a controller?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

HenryEx posted:

My download finally finished, and i'm not going back through the thread due to fear of spoilers. When i set to 1080p fullscreen, the display is squashed horizontally and i got black bars to the left and right. If i play windowed, it displays correctly though.

Any way to fix that yet?

play it windowed and use one of those borderless fullscreen apps

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

How is this game running on the PC?

I've been considering whether to get it for PS4 or PC

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SgtSteel91 posted:

What are your specs? Running a GTX1070, i5 6500, 8GB RAM, SSD. Settings at max on 1080p resolution. Silky smooth during gameplay, :whitewater: during cutscenes.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

buglord posted:

What are your specs? Running a GTX1070, i5 6500, 8GB RAM, SSD. Settings at max on 1080p resolution. Silky smooth during gameplay, :whitewater: during cutscenes.

I am eternally confused when I have inferior specs to people, yet have better results.

I mean, I more or less get it, but it's still bizarre.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

A 1060 GTX will give you the same performance as a PS4Pro.

Supremezero posted:

I am eternally confused when I have inferior specs to people, yet have better results.

Maybe, you know, you just don't notice the frame drops/bad framerate?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Supremezero posted:

ports are weird mang. if they're unoptimized rush jobs, its basically up to chance to determine performance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought you got a trophy if you managed to finagle the camera to stare directly at Toobie's booty for a couple of seconds but nothing popped up except my weiner

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Try fiddling with Steam Big Picture. Apparently Steam supports the PS4 controller, just not Nier itself.

I just went with DS4Windows and it works fine.

I found the KBM controls super awkward, it wants you to use WSAD and the arrow keys. / is heavy attack but Shift is the light attack. I'm certain you can rebind it as you see fit though, I just went with a gamepad though.

buglord posted:

Yeah some cutscenes are janky for me, I'm thinking it might just be the game though because likewise, gameplay is loving perfect. Even most of the cutscenes are fine, any of the ones where my character shows up wearing her dumb robot head are fine. It's just the fancy ones where it vanishes that the frames jitter.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nuebot posted:

I found the KBM controls super awkward, it wants you to use WSAD and the arrow keys. / is heavy attack but Shift is the light attack. I'm certain you can rebind it as you see fit though, I just went with a gamepad though.

Can you invert the mouse?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I'm not sure if my game is hosed or what.

Path C Spoilers:

I'm at the part where Pascal's village goes crazy and I have to kill the evil robots. I've checked everywhere and killed them all, and all the robot corpses just to be safe, but nothings happening. I autosaved when I loaded in too, so I just reload at the village. Did I gently caress my save or am I just missing something super obvious? Trying to leave just makes A2 say "I can't leave the village to fend for itself"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Can you invert the mouse?

No clue, I switched to gamepad pretty early.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Artless Meat posted:

I'm not sure if my game is hosed or what.

Path C Spoilers:

I'm at the part where Pascal's village goes crazy and I have to kill the evil robots. I've checked everywhere and killed them all, and all the robot corpses just to be safe, but nothings happening. I autosaved when I loaded in too, so I just reload at the village. Did I gently caress my save or am I just missing something super obvious? Trying to leave just makes A2 say "I can't leave the village to fend for itself"

Did you get the flying snake robot that circles around the area? Then another one spawns in after the first one.

Or check in the lower area. I missed one there the first time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Calaveron posted:

I thought you got a trophy if you managed to finagle the camera to stare directly at Toobie's booty for a couple of seconds but nothing popped up except my weiner

do it again, and then again and again.

and then do that whole set of agains two more times

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Gotta do it 10 times.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you get the flying snake robot that circles around the area? Then another one spawns in after the first one.

Or check in the lower area. I missed one there the first time.

Forgot to check jean Paul's platform could have sworn I went there but that made the second snake spawn.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 18, 2017

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is this game like really hard? I'm playing on normal and just hit a story point where all the mobs jump from level 3-10 to suddenly 15-30+ and I'm just getting crushed. Like all my fights are now 'run away and spam the machine gun at them for an hour'. My damage just feels really low even with my sword upgraded to level 3 and even doing every side quest to this point I feel underleveled. Are the plugins like super integral to doing good damage? Mine are defensive cause I'm bad at dodging and healing under pressure but maybe that's what's wrong? I'm sort of at a loss.

But it's really not fun not being able to do any quest with a time limit and have every fight last over a minute :(

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I don't understand how fishing works.

Sometimes it starts flopping right away, most times it never does anything. Sometimes it sort of ploops down but that doesn't seem to mean anything. Sometimes I give up and reel in and it's got something?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Well I just spent like an hour wandering this dead rear end city killing moose, innocent non-aggressive robots and fishing robo-carp out of a stream. 10/10 game of the year. Holy gently caress I love the music and visual design.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

sunken fleet posted:

Is this game like really hard? I'm playing on normal and just hit a story point where all the mobs jump from level 3-10 to suddenly 15-30+ and I'm just getting crushed. Like all my fights are now 'run away and spam the machine gun at them for an hour'. My damage just feels really low even with my sword upgraded to level 3 and even doing every side quest to this point I feel underleveled. Are the plugins like super integral to doing good damage? Mine are defensive cause I'm bad at dodging and healing under pressure but maybe that's what's wrong? I'm sort of at a loss.

But it's really not fun not being able to do any quest with a time limit and have every fight last over a minute :(

There are occasionally side quests and zones that are way higher level than you; come back later.

I mostly used defensive/utility chips as well, like the one that heals you for doing damage or for killing and never really had too much trouble.

As long as you're mixing in pod fire, pod abilities, weapon combos and dodging things you shouldn't be having trouble, especially with a level 3 weapon, at least I think.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

As long as you're mixing in pod fire, pod abilities, weapon combos and dodging things you shouldn't be having trouble, especially with a level 3 weapon, at least I think.

My personal tip to anyone using a game pad, if you're like me at least and are way too used to Dark Souls, is to switch dodge to B (or circle) because it's really awkward to fire the pod and dodge at the same time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That was kinda fun:

2B's VA cosplaying as 2B, and 9S's VA wearing a bow.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Well I finally beat it. Super fantastic game, and easily one of my favorite games of all time.

End end end end end of game spoiler: And I did the deed and deleted my PS4 save data just in time to start over on PC :getin:

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
Is it worth it to play through the original Nier a third time or should I just watch it on youtube? I've enjoyed my time with it, but I don't know if I have it in me to run through these same encounters again.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dineren posted:

Is it worth it to play through the original Nier a third time or should I just watch it on youtube? I've enjoyed my time with it, but I don't know if I have it in me to run through these same encounters again.

just watch it, the only thing that changes is the end of the game

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Pesky Splinter posted:

That was kinda fun:

2B's VA cosplaying as 2B, and 9S's VA wearing a bow.

This whole night was fun actually. I skipped around to watching new streamers playing and enjoying the reaction from them and chat to all the crazy poo poo that happens in this game. As a bonus I get to listen to the soundtrack again!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

There are a bunch of quests you will have to come back to much later, they are all over the place when it comes to level/difficulty.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

verbal enema posted:

I can tolerate that price. Need to get paid like right now

Oh yeah when you are the PlayStation home screen and go to Nier and then drop down to that goofy submenu what is that song that plays?

That song is Copied City (tagged since the title can be a bit spoilery, late Route A). /watch?v=PbEd7ulIMdw

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

The two big problems I had with KBM were no dedicated dodge key (double tap to dodge is hella awkward and adds in an unacceptable delay when you're aiming for perfect dodges) and the manual aiming mode for the pod being total garbage with a mouse compared to a stick. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as the guy who played through all three Dark Souls titles with KBM.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Thank you so much this is like one of the best tracks

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Does a controller work well for this game? I'm guessing so since it was obviously designed for ps4. Does it recognize a DS4 controller or will I need to run DS4 Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Does it recognize a DS4 controller or will I need to run DS4 Windows?

You'll need DS4Windows or the Steam wrapper to do it

Also fun fact, the PS4 version supports KB/M.