Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm not sure why, but the images Subponticate posts are almost always broken for me. I can't see this one either, unless I right click and open it in a new tab (or paste the URL to the address bar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I assume the host doesn't like remote image linking.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Works fine in canadaland.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Mixed http/https has been an issue for a while depending on image host. If you browse the forums with https and try to see an embedded http images, browsers don't like it for security reasons.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Scribbleykins posted:

As much as I appreciate how this is extremely cool and bitchin', official femshep will never for me match up to the severe schoolmarm design that I cobbled together for my Renegade run Shep.
Cheekbones so sharp you could cut yourself on them.

It would've been nice if the default Femshep looked anything at all like the box art because the in-game model is legitimately frightening looking.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

grack posted:

It would've been nice if the default Femshep looked anything at all like the box art because the in-game model is legitimately frightening looking.
Less horrifying than my character creator masterpieces, though. :shepface: At least in ME3, in 1 and 2 there isn't that much of a difference.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm not sure why, but the images Subponticate posts are almost always broken for me. I can't see this one either, unless I right click and open it in a new tab (or paste the URL to the address bar).
If it makes you feel any better it does the same to me, I always have to check them either in Edge or by opening it in a new tab in Chrome. Friggin computers.

Also in MEA it looks like you can make some real abominations since both male/female have makeup options.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

SubponticatePoster posted:

If it makes you feel any better it does the same to me, I always have to check them either in Edge or by opening it in a new tab in Chrome. Friggin computers.

Also in MEA it looks like you can make some real abominations since both male/female have makeup options.

But can you make Abominashep?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
There's an argument to be made that the default models are already abominaryders (doesn't work as well)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
On the bright side, if I end up LPing MEA Butts Ryder kinda already works.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
rear end Ryder

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Next update's ingredients
Get yourself a flight of beers, 6 should do it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Uh, y'all alright out there, SP?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the new mass effect is probably a hard drug, friend

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My guess is being hunged over from researching new drink recipes. This takes work damnit

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

He's too busy jet pack head butting bad dudes

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I ain't dead (yet). Sorry about the delay, it's

hard counter posted:

the new mass effect is probably a hard drug, friend
Beat it over the weekend though :dance: I then went and recorded the entire rest of ME2 which took a few hours. Now it's just cutting and dubbing updates (and some drinking). Update will be posted tonight.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Random poo poo

The Drink
A flight of beers. I went with 4, an APA, an IPA, a golden ale and an American pissbeer (PBR). Then I went back and finished all of them *hic*

The Drinking Game
None, try and pace yourself through the episode (if you go 6 that's one every 5 minutes and you should be feeling it by the end).

The Episode
Just taking care of a couple things before we start end game. You get the Normandy thing pretty much immediately. It's like a lot of Bioware things, interesting the first time and then after you've done it a half dozen you kinda want to just skip it. It's completely quiet except for Shep's breathing and footsteps. A few of the tags are hidden under crates so you have to shoot a bit if you want to find them all. I cut it into a montage because otherwise it's 15 minutes of wandering around.

Otherwise it's one horrifically-cheesed sidequest and chatting with everyone.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Moridin's singing got me completely by surprise the first time I experienced it.

Grunt is the best child. :3:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I hated the Normandy crash site thing the first time I played it. Boring as poo poo. I mean, was I supposed to care about Pressly?

Also I appreciate the fact that the Cain can blow up Ymir mechs in one shot but all the crates are totally untouched.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The other much more boring way to get all the crates is to bring the missile launcher and fire 1 over the ridge immediately to the left of where you land before moving forward at all. It'll lock-on and hit a single mech which will make it come stomping toward you but not activating any of the others. Dance around the shuttle to kill it. Repeat as necessary.

Poil posted:

Moridin's singing got me completely by surprise the first time I experienced it.

Grunt is the best child. :3:

There's lot weird things to enjoy about Mordin. If one decides to bone Garrus he advises Shepard not to swallow.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

grack posted:

I hated the Normandy crash site thing the first time I played it. Boring as poo poo. I mean, was I supposed to care about Pressly?

Not only was this mission DLC for some reason, but I remember hearing that this was where you were supposed to have originally gotten Legion?

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, just watching this video, you can see 2 is a much better written experience over all, with more interesting characters, than Andromeda. Andromeda also suffers from way more fluff stuff to do, it's not as ... directed? intense? You never get a sense of urgency or anything.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sounds like Mass Effect 1 then, right down to broken facial animations :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ratchild13 posted:

Man, just watching this video, you can see 2 is a much better written experience over all, with more interesting characters, than Andromeda. Andromeda also suffers from way more fluff stuff to do, it's not as ... directed? intense? You never get a sense of urgency or anything.
I'd disagree with you on the character thing. MEA squadmates are all pretty cool (except Cora, she's really goddamn one-note). MEA is however stuffed to the gills with minor tasks that may want to make you gouge your eyes out. I found the main story line enjoyable. All the ME games suffer from "oh my god terrible things are happening/going to happen" and then allowing you to go scan planets or put batteries in robots or bang an Asari prostitute. I think it's the sheer volume of side stuff in MEA that makes it seem worse.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

you could be right, sometimes me:a definitely feels as wide as an ocean but as deep as puddle because of all the busywork content

i hope one day we do see a butts ryder because your lps are pretty good at trimming off the fat to show off the best parts, like all those hours of DA:I editing proved (:psyduck:), but no pressure - you've already done so much with bioware games

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I'd disagree with you on the character thing. MEA squadmates are all pretty cool (except Cora, she's really goddamn one-note). MEA is however stuffed to the gills with minor tasks that may want to make you gouge your eyes out. I found the main story line enjoyable. All the ME games suffer from "oh my god terrible things are happening/going to happen" and then allowing you to go scan planets or put batteries in robots or bang an Asari prostitute. I think it's the sheer volume of side stuff in MEA that makes it seem worse.

"But thousands of hours of gameplay" which includes criss-crossing the Hissing Wastes or whatever the ME:A equivalent is. ME1 had a lot of sidequests but a fair number were hidden, even most of the ME2 garbage sidequests (think all the quests acquired through scanning where your companions say "what happened here? :tali: " while shooting at bad guys) aren't too obvious so you can beat the game and not even know about them. It sounds like ME:A almost forces them down your throat by comparison.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

you could be right, sometimes me:a definitely feels as wide as an ocean but as deep as puddle because of all the busywork content

i hope one day we do see a butts ryder because your lps are pretty good at trimming off the fat to show off the best parts, like all those hours of DA:I editing proved (:psyduck:), but no pressure - you've already done so much with bioware games
I'm sure I will. Interestingly enough my final playtime for MEA was around 95 hours - way less than DAI. The challenge is figuring out what side content is actually worth showing off since some of them do lead in unexpected directions. I'll let the crazy people do all the work and put it up on a wiki somewhere. A lot of it is completely unnecessary and has a poo poo payoff though so I understand the complaints about it.

monster on a stick posted:

"But thousands of hours of gameplay" which includes criss-crossing the Hissing Wastes or whatever the ME:A equivalent is. ME1 had a lot of sidequests but a fair number were hidden, even most of the ME2 garbage sidequests (think all the quests acquired through scanning where your companions say "what happened here? :tali: " while shooting at bad guys) aren't too obvious so you can beat the game and not even know about them. It sounds like ME:A almost forces them down your throat by comparison.
Sort of. This time around they put a marker on a lot of stuff, so people with OCD are having fits. Other things you do reveal incidentally. In ME3 you literally got sidequests by overhearing random dialogue which is less intrusive, but also could lead to missing stuff since nobody actually said "Hey Shepard go do this thing for me!" Also the worst part of a lot of the sidequests is that they're not limited to one place. So you'll get a quest on Planet A, but then have to go to Planet B, then C, then back to A. I think they wanted to give it a sense of scope but it just ends up being rather annoying. If it ain't a major plot point, let me handle it in a single setting.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Also the worst part of a lot of the sidequests is that they're not limited to one place. So you'll get a quest on Planet A, but then have to go to Planet B, then C, then back to A. I think they wanted to give it a sense of scope but it just ends up being rather annoying. If it ain't a major plot point, let me handle it in a single setting.
The main issue isn't really the fact you have to travel all over the place, but the endless unskippable cutscenes and loading screens along the way. I wrote an article (or a rant, to be perfectly accurate) about this exact thing on my wordpress site a couple of weeks ago, using the movie night sidequest as an example because it's the worst. I'm not linking the whole thing, but here's how that quest goes:

quote:

Liam: “Hey Ryder, go get some movies from the Nexus!” Okay, sure, I had some business there anyway so I’ll do that.

(Watch transition cutscene > watch Nexus landing cutscene > run to the Nexus archive to download films (loading screen) > run back to ship (another loading screen) > watch Nexus takeoff cutscene > return to Tempest for the next part of the quest)

Suvi: “I heard you’re planning a movie night, and I thought I could make some weird alien snacks so go to Aya to buy this gross plant.” Well, Aya is a major hub as well so I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m in the neighborhood.

(Watch transition cutscene > watch Aya landing cutscene > run to market, buy plant, run back to ship > watch Aya takeoff cutscene > return to Tempest for next part)

Vetra: “Those snacks Suvi made are awful and I’m also a turian so I can’t eat them without dying, so could you go buy some better snacks on Kadara? Not just the turian stuff either, I hear someone brought actual popcorn from the Milky Way!” This is getting a little bit annoying at this point, but anything for my spiky girlfriend, I guess. To Kadara it is, we still have a couple of quests to mop up there as well so we can pick up those snacks along the way.

(Watch transition cutscene > watch Kadara landing cutscene > you know how this goes by this point)

Jaal: “Your Milky Way movies are terrible, you don’t even use our superior angaran VR tech! Luckily, me and Gil can rig something up, but we need components so go to Aya and buy those!” *Sigh* Back to Aya it is, even though we already did all the side content there, and let’s just buy these components FROM THE SAME loving VENDOR WHO SOLD US THE PLANT EARLIER ARE YOU KIDDING ME

(Watch all that poo poo again and wonder where your life went wrong)

Lexi: “Drack and Peebee are making krogan moonshine or something, and I’d rather drink something that doesn’t make me blind so could you go to the Nexus and grab a bottle of asari wine for me? Strictly for medicinal purposes, of course.” Sure, I’m still playing this so it’s not as if I value my free time any more than you do.

(Watch all that poo poo again and burn the effigy of the lead quest designer that you built during all the previous cutscenes)

Liam: “Aw man, I just wanted to have a simple movie night but all you jerks made it into this huge project. Since you’re all putting so much effort into this, I gotta step it up as well; we can’t watch the lovely theatrical cut of Last of the Legion, we must get the super extended director’s cut edition. You know, the super rare one that went out of print 600 years ago. I heard they might have it on Kadara.” Guess which merchant on Kadara has it? That’s right, the exact same one who sold us the snacks! Are you having fun yet?

(Watch all that poo poo AGAIN, thankfully for the last time as far as this quest is concerned, and finally enjoy a fun scene with your buddies)

After the 1.05 update, it's not this bad because you can now skip the transition animations when moving between planets, although the transition between systems is still unskippable (probably because it's a disguised load screen) and so are the landing and takeoff cutscenes. This is still a massive improvement and makes the quest about a million times less annoying. The worst part of the whole thing (aside from everything else) is how you just buy all the items at the various stores instead of doing something that might be fun or interesting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does Andromeda have any of those issues ME3 had with regards to "better hope you know what sidequests you can/need to complete before the next major plot beat"?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm pretty sure none of the quests have time limits, so you can collect all those space bear asses at your leisure. The quests with multiple steps, such as that movie night thing, tend to require plot progress to unlock the next step so they take forever.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doc Morbid posted:

The main issue isn't really the fact you have to travel all over the place, but the endless unskippable cutscenes and loading screens along the way. I wrote an article (or a rant, to be perfectly accurate) about this exact thing on my wordpress site a couple of weeks ago, using the movie night sidequest as an example because it's the worst. I'm not linking the whole thing, but here's how that quest goes:

After the 1.05 update, it's not this bad because you can now skip the transition animations when moving between planets, although the transition between systems is still unskippable (probably because it's a disguised load screen) and so are the landing and takeoff cutscenes. This is still a massive improvement and makes the quest about a million times less annoying. The worst part of the whole thing (aside from everything else) is how you just buy all the items at the various stores instead of doing something that might be fun or interesting.
Yeah there are some...questionable decisions as far as gameplay goes. When I go back to the Tempest, why does it always return to orbit? It didn't in the previous games. You could go get on your ship and right back off again. It's a pisser when you board then find out you have to go back and then have to sit through that loving scene again.

If you were thinking about getting MEA I would say do it. Bitching aside it is a very Mass Effect-y game and most of the howling in the Games thread is done by people who haven't played it. SP's ratings for MEA content:

Combat :dance::dance: You can jump, hover and vanguard charge into people's faces. A++ would vanguard again (and again and again..)
Story :dance: Main storyline is very good. Companions are good. If you like Wrex you'll love Drack. Even Peebee, who everyone thought would be insufferable is fine and less cringy than pre-SB Liara.
QoL :geno: Bearable but the HUD is not very good and the minimap blows goats. See above about travel and making me go to 3 different places to resolve minor sidequest.
Animations/modeling :effort: PCs and squad are fine. Facial animations are lol-worthy in a lot of cases. And aside from Peebee there is literally only 1 Asari face. WTF. Recent patch fixed some of the most egregious problems. Hopefully they can fix other things with patches.

Regalingualius posted:

Does Andromeda have any of those issues ME3 had with regards to "better hope you know what sidequests you can/need to complete before the next major plot beat"?
Similar to DAI there is only 1 hard cutoff for side content, which is the final mission and it helpfully points out you're at the endgame. Movie Night is the only one I know of that can't be completed postgame. You're still free to tool around and collect bear asses once the main story is done.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah there are some...questionable decisions as far as gameplay goes. When I go back to the Tempest, why does it always return to orbit? It didn't in the previous games. You could go get on your ship and right back off again. It's a pisser when you board then find out you have to go back and then have to sit through that loving scene again.

If you were thinking about getting MEA I would say do it. Bitching aside it is a very Mass Effect-y game and most of the howling in the Games thread is done by people who haven't played it. SP's ratings for MEA content:

Combat :dance::dance: You can jump, hover and vanguard charge into people's faces. A++ would vanguard again (and again and again..)
Story :dance: Main storyline is very good. Companions are good. If you like Wrex you'll love Drack. Even Peebee, who everyone thought would be insufferable is fine and less cringy than pre-SB Liara.
QoL :geno: Bearable but the HUD is not very good and the minimap blows goats. See above about travel and making me go to 3 different places to resolve minor sidequest.
Animations/modeling :effort: PCs and squad are fine. Facial animations are lol-worthy in a lot of cases. And aside from Peebee there is literally only 1 Asari face. WTF. Recent patch fixed some of the most egregious problems. Hopefully they can fix other things with patches.

Similar to DAI there is only 1 hard cutoff for side content, which is the final mission and it helpfully points out you're at the endgame. Movie Night is the only one I know of that can't be completed postgame. You're still free to tool around and collect bear asses once the main story is done.

You can do movie night post-game. I know this because I held off on doing it (since I had the bug where my Ryder and Peebee fused into one horrifying being with four eyes, two foreheads, and far far too many limbs) in hopes the bug would be fixed.

It was not.

The only quests you can't do post-game are probably the ones which involve you going back to locations on the Hyperion.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

You can do movie night post-game. I know this because I held off on doing it (since I had the bug where my Ryder and Peebee fused into one horrifying being with four eyes, two foreheads, and far far too many limbs) in hopes the bug would be fixed.

It was not.

The only quests you can't do post-game are probably the ones which involve you going back to locations on the Hyperion.
Huh, I know someone who wasn't able to do it post game (maybe because of the Hyperion thing).

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I'm sure I will. Interestingly enough my final playtime for MEA was around 95 hours - way less than DAI. The challenge is figuring out what side content is actually worth showing off since some of them do lead in unexpected directions. I'll let the crazy people do all the work and put it up on a wiki somewhere. A lot of it is completely unnecessary and has a poo poo payoff though so I understand the complaints about it.

I imagine once people figure out exactly which decisions and side quest outcomes get recorded for import into later games it'll be easier to pick which missions to show off, at least for possible story content

iirc getting that optimal conrad verner outcome in 3 depended on some unlikely quests from 1

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Huh, I know someone who wasn't able to do it post game (maybe because of the Hyperion thing).

I had everything completed short of "go down to your cabin and start the party" before I went to the point of no return. There was one hang-up I had where Lexi wouldn't ask me to go get wine until I had exhausted all of Liam's incidental dialog on a completely unrelated topic.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

Wait that is an actual quest in a game? :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Wait that is an actual quest in a game? :psyduck:

It actually sort of works out in game, Liam has the idea for a movie night, so you download some movies from a cultural database on the Nexus. Then someone has you get snacks, then Vetra's like "Okay now get some snacks I can actually loving eat." and it just kind of snowballs out from there until eventually you end up buying what amounts to the crazy unrated directors cut version of Turian James Bond from a contraband smuggler because "This is too important for lovely G-rated vids."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It is, and the scene you get at the end of it is actually really nice. Shame about the million hours of busywork required to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's also worth noting that "Liam has an idea that spirals wildly out of control into multiple diplomatic incidents" is perfectly in line with his character.

• Locked thread